“"Come for the coffee, beware of the servers"”
Review of Tom & Serg

Tom & Serg
Ranked #461 of 9,567 Restaurants in Dubai
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Al Quoz
Description: Tom & Serg was established in Dubai in 2013 by Tom Arnel and Sergio Lopez. Tom comes from Australia. Sergio comes from Spain. Tom likes making good food. Sergio likes eating it. Every dish is crafted to satisfy the highest standard in the land. Ours. Ditto for the ingredients. And while many restaurants treat their recipes like state secrets, we believe that any recipe worth making is worth sharing. So if you want to know exactly how something is prepared, ask. There's no mystery in how we do what we do - just the freshest ingredients crafted with patience, care and forethought.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“"Come for the coffee, beware of the servers"”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was super excited when I first came, the decor was funky, the water was free, staff seemed friendly and the coffee tasted great. But my how fast things changed. Last night my friends and I were sitting around talking about this place and all three of us had one major complaint. THE STAFF! It seems the popularity of the cafe has gone to their heads and they think they're the ones in the spotlight and they're acting like divas! There's on server, he's a Filipino guy with a funky hairdo that's shaved on the side, that we all seemed to have been snapped on by. For me when I asked about decaf options I was treated as if I had just asked him to sacrifice his first born. My friend came 15 minutes before closing and simply wanted to get a sandwich to takeaway and was met again by his snappy persona. When she asked the kitchen staff if they minded to heat the sandwich up they were more than happy to do it for her. My other friend asked for milk alternatives and received a whole lecture on how soy milk is bad for you and almond milk isn't good in coffee. Also if you want a vegan option it takes an act of congress, or if you're lucky to have one of the western staff, to get it done. I was told on two visits I couldn't remove one thing and replace with an alternative that met my diet. However it was miraculously possible when the manager came over. This places wants to pretend like it's all hipster and funky but fails to realize that hipster and funky people like sustainable and healthy diets so don't get on your soap box and preach to us why milk is good for you and educate your staff on how to be flexible to meet people's health requirements and for god's sake get some coconut milk like every other trendy coffee house from Soho to Melbourne! I think I will stick with RAW coffee for my organic fair trade brew as they like to accommodate me and my lactose intolerance!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Ifly2dubai

• Arabic first
“Give it a go”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Been 7 times. Food and coffee is spot on. As per previous comments there is one outspoken coffee maker that is a bit of a muppet, but if you steer clear of him it's all good. Lamb pita, beef sanga (now chicken) and fish and chips are all star performers. I'm sure the coffee is at optimum temp when it's made, but by the time it gets to you it's luke warm. I would suggest giving it an extra 2 degrees C to allow for the drop in temp between making it and getting it to the customer.

If you want to catch up with mates or go for a causal business lunch this place is the go. Good place to pump out a few e-mails while enjoying a nice coffee as well. Service has buttoned off in the last few weeks, which seems to be due to the lack of staff.... Good to see another good dinning option in Al Quoz.

Dubai
“Much ado about not very much at all...”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Disappointing actually. After a few recommendations we decided to give it a bash ...

A busy afternoon, vibrant energy downstairs, but quite noisy.

Lamb pita for me and "super salad" for the wife. The lamb comes in double and single size, distinctly average I'm afraid. The usual "Dubai Hype" with very little substance to back it up.

My wife failed to see why the salad was labeled "Super" and enquired as to the whereabouts of some of the advertised ingredients. To which the giggling waitress promptly disappeared with the bowl.. which reappeared 5 mins later in the hands of what could only be described as an inexperienced and terse "duty manager" who with his finger gesticulated to minuscule julienned remnants of the listed items.... Dismissive to say the least...
No apology offered and we were left feeling like it was our fault for not cracking out the microscope and identifying the offending ingredients for ourselves in the first place and having the audacity to call the junior manager away from his urgent game of candy crush to deal with a customer concern.

And just an observation, but all the crockery we were served on was chipped or cracked? Now not sure if this is in keeping with the industrial theme but I prefer my plates without chips of the china kind.

So to vindicate the poor start we ordered a chocolate tart and lemon meringue...not bad you did ok here (beside the chipped plates .....again) and in echoing previous reviews if you want hot coffee, maybe Costa is your place?

Would I return? With the plethora of eateries mushrooming in Dubai, there are several options to try before I would consider a revisit.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank philfamdxb
Dubai
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Firstly I would say try this place. As has been mentioned you need to be paying attention to find it. Once you do though it has a nice funky vibe. Staff were polite and helpful. I had the morning acter wrap which was lovely and some different flavours. My wife had the chicken sanga and she really enjoyed it too. I really like that they offer free water, a nice unique touh for Dubai. My only criticism (which seems to echo others) our coffees were luke warm at best which I didn't enjoy nor did my wife. Having said that the chocolate brownie was much better than the triple chocolate eclair. Finally when the bill arrived it was nice to see it was a lot cheaper than other dubai bistor/cafes. I would go back for sure.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Educate your staff and you might get repeat business”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The reviews have mostly been positive about this restaurant, so we were obviously keen to try it. Upon arrival, we were greeted and seated promptly. The decor hadn't been skimped on, with Tom and Serg's roots from across the Sheik Zayed Road clear to see. The first disappointment was the coffee, which when it finally arrived, was tepid (I'm being kind here). A tip for the servers: When you are told that the coffee is cold, don't argue the toss - your immediate (not grudging) response should be to take it away and bring another. Fast. Especially if you intend charging me for it. The food took just long enough to arrive for us to have commented on the delay, although in fairness, the place was quite busy.
There's a good reason why the prices are reasonable: Although quality-wise, pretty good, the portions are not exactly massive (again, I'm being kind). Would I recommend this establishment? Have a look, but don't moan if you come away with just a tinge of disappointment.

$$ $$$