“internet failed, airport shuttle failed, noise at night”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rolla Residence

Rolla Residence
Ranked #291 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Campinas, SP
“internet failed, airport shuttle failed, noise at night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

As the hotel doesn't provide free shuttle from the airport, the only reason for me and my husband to book their transfer (more expensive than a taxi) was because we didn't want to look for a taxi and explain the location of the hotel after a 15 hours flight. I just wanted to find someone there waiting for us to go direct to the hotel. BUT NO ONE WAS THERE when we arrived. The airport staff was very helpful and called the hotel. We had to wait for a while and then they told us to take a taxi. The hotel paied the taxi, but I HAD TO PAY IT BACK IN THE CHECK OUT! We were located at a larger appartment as excuse, but the upgrade is useless if the thing you need most doesn't work - WE HAD NO INTERNET ACCESS! And the staff didn't seem to care about it. They just told us the problem wasn't at the hotel.
I and my husband don't have sleep problems but we couldn't ignore the NOISE DURING THE NIGHT. The hotel was making renovations in the swimming pool area at 3 AM!?!?!
I really enjoyed the location, but it depends on what you like to do. It is close to the Creek, easy access to Deira, Bastakia, Dubai Museum, etc. You can see more local residents (although expats - indians and pakistaneses, not emiratis) than tourists - nice for people watching. It is not so close to the resorts and entertainment areas in the city, but easy access to the metro. I would look for another hotel in the same neighbourhood next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elen R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
Ludhiana, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week. The staff was friendly and courteous. The rooms were clean. The food was OK. The pool area is nice.
Very nice location. Close to Burjaman Centre and not too far away from downtown or sheikh zayed rd.

But, there were a few problems.
Working girls from a disco across the street were parading into the hotel with their clients at night.
A friend of mine came to visit me but i was still 20 mins away from the hotel so the front desk staff obliged him by opening my room and letting him wait in there. They did not take my permission for that. They didnt even confirm from me if he even was my friend. Their answer was that he he knew my name and room no so ofcourse he was my friend.

In a nutshell, for this price range, there a lot many better alternatives.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Puneet B
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stayed in Rolla Residence for 3 nights.

Very nice location. Al Fahidi metro station & Al Ghubaiba bus station are both within walking distance. Dubai museum, old souq, Bastakiya, etc. are in this region.

Rooms are very clean with large comfortable beds. Staff are attentive and helpful. Would be better if tourist maps are available.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank James C
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you want to experience real Dubai & avoid the flashy, ostentatious bits!

My boyfriend & I had a great time. The hotel was a good base to explore the old town, the creek & easily get cabs ( or the open top bus tour!) over to Jumerah Beach area.

The service was great, we were met at the airport ( although they did add an extra charge for this on at the end!) & were able to check in at 0800 & go to our room. NB this is important after a night flight from the UK which lands at 6am!

The room was big. Huge bed & TV. A large separate kitchen area & bathroom.

The room was clean, although the bathroom was a little 'tired' in places. Maid service daily was a high standard.

The buffet breakfast was very nice. Something for everyone I'd say- cereal, fruit, toast, croissant, muffins, cooked breakfast, & some Indian selections.

Pool area on the roof was great. Good views & clean.

Overall I would definitely recommend staying here if you're not looking for over-the-top luxury!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Slidester
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Rolla Residence, Bur Dubai

Well, if like me, you want to be conveniently situated in the Bur Dubai area near the Al Fahidi metro station, and don’t have the time to make an exhaustive search, but are looking for solidly middle of the road 3-star accommodation with kitchen with no major surprises, then this will suit you, as it did me.

I stayed here in Feb 2012, and made the booking after a cursory internet search.

I would say that this is solidly 3 star establishment with some things a bit better, and some not quite there. I paid DIR1770 (including taxes) for 4 nights including breakfast, which computes to around US$120/night. Note, this is not particularly cheap, and there are recognized good class hotels available that charge this sort of price.

I arrived at the apartment hotel between 6-7am and waited until around 11 for a studio apartement to be ready. I was given a room on the first floor facing the front ie overlooking Al Rolla Street. After about two minutes in this room, I realized that it wasn’t go to work out – too noisy. So I grabbed my bags and went downstairs again. I then waited several more hours until about 3pm, when they gave me room 615 on the 6th floor. This was a lot better, with minor traffic noise from Khalid Bin Al Waleed Road in the distance and some loud music until the early hours from somewhere on Wednesday night only I think it was. The staff at Reception, one male and one female trainee, did not excel themselves during my 9 hour wait. I got the impression that the male staff member was also doubling as telephone operator, and consequently his attention was constantly distracted by the phone.

My room was fine. Furniture and fittings were all to a good standard, the only negatives being minor scuff marks around suitcase stand, and mildew marks around aircon ventilator, otherwise everything was clean and in near mint condition. The windows did open, though they were a bit jammed and I had to get the maintenance guy to assist opening them. There are 3 units of plumbing in the apartment that have a plug, - kitchen sink, bath, and bathroom basin. You will be lucky if all 3 plugs are functional, - in neither of the rooms I was shown, did all 3 work. The aircon worked fine, but cools only - ie it is not thermostatically controlled, so I was a bit cold for a couple of days, given the time of year. The network internet in the room works well, and was included in room rate. Somewhat surprisingly, the plastic card in the room next to the door did not control the electrics, which was out of sync with the otherwise decidedly minimalist and economy-minded flavour of this hotel – a temporary glitch I suspect.

The kitchenette was clean and had the necessary hardware – and included the basics in the way of cutlery and china etc. But don’t expect extras like washing up liquid, tea towel or sponge. The bathroom, c/w bath, was okay too. Each room has its own water heater. If you like a bath, watch out – water heater doesn’t quite manage a normal size bath, not in Feb anyway. I managed only by topping up with 4-6 loads of hot water from the kettle.

If like me, you like to use the stairs even now and then in lieu of the lift, be prepared to negotiate your way past used meal trays, which seem to stay on the stairs for a long time. Not to mention, old newspapers and old telephone directories.

Breakfast was very well attended, but like many things in this hotel, breakfast was only ‘just enough’. Chunks of melon and watermelon; and then the hot food was heavy on starch and staples like baked beans, sausage and scrambled egg. Pretty much the same every day, but sufficient to get by. It is definitely not worth buying breakfast if it’s not included in your rate. Near the restaurant are rest rooms – if you are male, be prepared to wave an arm around in the air whilst using the urinal, otherwise the lights will go out before you have finished.

The clientele in this hotel whilst I was there was I would guess around 80% subcontinent, balance Arab, European, Chinese etc. In general, the clientele were somewhat demanding, so the Filipina restaurant staff looked decidedly battle-worn by the end of the breakfast session. I didn’t ask, but I assume that this hotel was alcohol-free, and this would be in keeping with conservative ambience of the hotel. If you want an environment that is a bit more lively at a similar price, try the Imperial Suites Hotel over the road.

I would say that the Hotel Management at Rolla Residence was good in regard to attention to detail. For example, whilst I was staying at the hotel, technicians were busy fitting 2 security cameras to each floor.

Room Tip: Probably advisable to avoid rooms facing Al Rolla Road.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank chancador
Patna, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Recently in dec 2011 we six family visited Dubai. We all had stay in this hotel .our experiences were very good. Location wise it is very good. Markets, metro station & lots of restaurants are in vicinity. Not costly. Breakfast witch is complimentary was also very good. Rooms were studio apartments. All rooms were having facilities of cooking, washing machine & ironing. The only problem we faced was bit poor maintenance & lack of man power.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

The hotel is well located within a 5 minute walk from the Al Fahidi metro station. Its is close to Old part of Dubai i.e Bastakiya, Diera as well as Karama market (15-20 min walk). The hotel rooms are quite spacious, well equipped with a washer, microwave, cooking facilities, refrigerator. The bathroom though is a bit tired looking but nevertheless for the price charged it is awesome value for money. And lastly the breakfast is included and is extremely extensive with a variety of breads, croissants, eggs to order, fruits, cereals, a few Indian dishes. So all in all its a good place to stay at a reasonable cost in a city that can be quite pricey! And we stayed in quite a few places in Dubai, this one turned out to be the most reasonable, well connected with easy access to public transport!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple