“Park Hyatt Dubai - a peaceful oasis in the heart of Dubai”
Review of Park Hyatt Dubai

Park Hyatt Dubai
Ranked #10 of 554 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed January 4, 2009

I like Dubai and it was great to escape to some warmer weather on our recent trip. It was even better that we ended up staying at the Park Hyatt Dubai, as this hotel was away from the crowds and construction that you find in so many other locations.

We were toying with the idea of staying at a hotel on the beach, but decided that with the sightseeing and shopping we wanted to do it would make more sense to stay in a more central location. Some of the beach hotels are more than 45 minutes away from the old, more interesting parts of town.

As described in some other reviews, Park Hyatt Dubai is a luxury hotel right on the creek. Our room, like most others I'd imagine, had stunning, peaceful views of the marina and the creek from our private balcony. In the distance we could see the Burj Dubai (tallest building in the world) that is still under construction.

If you are looking for glitz and glamour and the "see and be seen" scene, this is not your hotel.

The hotel feels private, exclusive and relaxed. There are no kids, really, no large parties, no major groups taking over the hotel. The service is low key, but attentive.

This is not a hotel for kids. There are no kids facilities, really, and frankly, the swimming pool is stunning, but not really suitable for kids. As mentioned by others, the pool is surrounded by palm trees, so there is a lot of shade, but the excellent pool attendant is happy to help you find the sunniest spot available. The pool lounges are comfortable, with white cotton covers and thick cushions.

The hotel is laid out in four buildings that are each about 3-5 stories tall. The buildings are connected by glass hallways that offer a view of the gardens and the pool by day. At night, large candles light up the way to your room from the reception area.

The restaurants were great, especially the breakfast at Cafe Arabesque was excellent. The focus seemed to be more on quality than quantity, with some of the best croissants and pastries I have ever had! A chef is available at the buffet and will tell you all about the various dishes - yogurts, cheeses and meats from Europe, breads and cheeses from the Middle East. A great opportunity to try different things (or not). The milk selection, for example, includes various types of cow milk, but also camel milk and date milk!

Our room was stunning: neutral colors with a Moroccan influence, a very comfortable bed and that bathroom: wow! An oval white tub, a separate shower with an enormous shower head, a separate cubicle for toilet and bidet, REN shampoo and lotions. From the sink and vanity area, you look through a "window" over your bed to the balcony. One thing: the bathroom is quite open to the bedroom: there is no door separating the area with the tub from your bedroom, although you could close the blinds in that "window".

Finally, I went to the spa and had a massage and body scrub. As is the law in Dubai, you can only receive spa treatments from a therapist of your own gender. My masseur was excellent, but also the facility itself is beautiful. My treatment room had a shower inside, but also a private walled of garden with an outdoor shower and a seating area where I sat with a cup of tea and some fresh fruit after the treatment. It was fantastic!

All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChicagoNow
There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Dubai

Reviewed December 30, 2008

Just coming back from Dubai, I can confirm what previous reviewers said about this very classy hotel:
great location on Dubai Creek, next to the Marina + the Golf course;
modern, spacious room with all amenities you'd expect - mine had a (distant) view of Jumeirah beach and I blessed myself not to be in one of those highrises:
I wished I had more time to try out all their restaurants - do recommend the Arabesque (Mezze + Dessert buffets, main course a la carte) and the Thai Kitchen;
And of course the pro-active service is first class too throughout the hotel.
Clever architecture makes it feel like a small boutique hotel, only after several walks around I realized how many wings the hotel actually has.
There is one shopping mall (City Center - smallish for Dubai) in what you could call walking distance along a pleasant palmfringed road within the complex (I hitched a ride with one of the golf buggies). Lots of US and UK chain stores, but despite duty free not very attractive prices due to the current exchange rates.
The only drawback for me, who wanted the last day of the trip in the sun, was the location of the pool: most of it is shaded by palm trees and the hotel building itself. This is certainly welcome during the hot summer months in Dubai, but less so on a cool December day. However, the pool attendant was very helpful in pointing out the best location for catching some sun and the water temperature was perfect (app. 26 C).

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank uxj
Reviewed December 11, 2008

I stayed at the park Hyatt Dubai for two nights, although I wish I could have been longer. I have stayed at hotels all around the world, with varying star ratings, but the Park Hyatt is by far my favorite to date.

Check-in was nice and easy, albeit a bit warm in the reception area. We were escorted to our room, which was perfect for our needs. Our room was just as requested, non smoking with two beds in the room. Our view was of the creek, which I really found peaceful. The bathroom is the type you’d build at home, if you could do it all over again. I hated leaving that shower behind; it was the perfect reason to get out of bed in the morning.

I think my favorite memory of this hotel is the feeling that you were the only guests there. Every room was booked during our stay, but it never felt crowded or chaotic as some resorts tend to feel at 100% occupancy. The pool and pool area are amazing, and again, never felt crowded. The gym is really nice and open 24 hours.

As for restaurants, we tried to eat at “The Terrace”, but honestly, the lighting was a joke. I’m 43 years old and I could not read one word of my menu! It actually was quite funny and we did laugh about it, but one single tea light for a whole table (outside after dark). We moved indoors, but the furniture was good quality patio furniture and I was put off having dinner in this setting. We decided on the “Café Arabesque” and tried to sit outdoor again, but the vey same lighting issues. The novelty was beginning to wear off at this point. We moved ourselves indoor, which was bright and airy and found a nice table off to the side. I really liked this restaurant; it features food from Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, etc. (hence “Arabesque”) and was quite good. There is hot and cold buffet and an ala carte menu to choose from. The cold buffet was wonderful, so many choices, it was fun to try a little of everything. The last night we ordered room service, again, quite good with a decent selection. The prices, I thought, we very reasonable for the quality of food we received.

Although we did not rent a car, it would be helpful given the size of this resort. From the main road to the hotel lobby, I would say it’s about ½ mile or maybe a little more. At the end of this road, you’ll find one of the ubiquitous malls that are strewn around Dubai. The cab rate is 15 Dirhams from the lobby to the mall, but the lobby is happy to provide a golf cart shuttle to the road and you can simply walk across a busy road. There is a crosswalk which gives plenty of time, and driver’s in Dubai are VERY courteous, so there are no worries. At the mall, there is a stop on the “Big Bus Tour”, which was actually a nice experience.

In the end, this is one of the best hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. If you’re thinking about one of the Hyatt Hotels in Dubai, the Park Hyatt is the way to go.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank NJKen
Reviewed November 28, 2008

I was given one of the special "spa" rooms (2201) which was really strange. While the room with balcony was perfectly located - overlooking the Creek (and very quiet) - the layout was rather odd.

A fixed-in-place massage table occupied about 30% of the room (immediately in front of you as you entered) and a gleaming white leather dental chair complete with a porcelain spitoon/basin was positioned prominently by the plasma TV. The bellhop told me "some people prefer to have all their spa treatments without leaving the room." (I am not one of them.)

There was a massive walk-in tiled shower (with 6 fixed-position nozzles and a hand-held hose) that could easily seat 8 people on the wrap-around bench. The shower room had a foul (sewage) smell.

Lighting was dark (I suppose to preserve the tranquil spa effect) and the single vanity spotlight was so weak that it was difficult to see anything.

Wireless Internet signal was very faint.

There was no couch - just a work desk and the white dental chair.

Great location (next to a mall) and a quick ride to the airport. Good service, friendly staff, high prices, but then, that's Dubai.

Unless you like to be surrounded by spa equipment, I suggest you ask for a standard room. And bring a flashlight.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Booked a delux double, given a twin, despite reconfirming before arrival. Promised a move to a double the next night. The single bed was small and uncomfortable; I'm 6'4" and found it difficult to sleep in. I was told the next day it was a queen. If it was it is the smallest queen bed I have ever slept in. This may sound petty but if you go to some effort to get a particular type of room and you're paying £400 a night you hope to get what you've booked.

Despite being promised that I would be moved the next morning I was told this wouldnt be possible in the morning as the hotel was very full. Booked an alternative hotel, and was initially told that they would still charge me for my remaininfg nights.

Found staff and management rude. After checking out I found the staff very petty had to wait for nearly an hour for a taxi as "hotel customers" were given priority. Not sure if this was punishment or incompetence...eitherway I wasnt impressed.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank dpuss
Reviewed October 31, 2008

The hotel is a piece of art, fantastic lyaout with fantastic view. However the management is a piece of disapointment, had an issue with my bill at the reception and had to wait 30 min to sort it out, without extending any apology about it from the manager on duty.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I've been to the Park Hyatt a few times since it opened and have never been disappointed (except by the rapidly increasing price). The staff, the rooms, the location, the atmosphere are all fantastic. Ideal for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business