“Nothing to complain about”

Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa
Ranked #133 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Ronneby, Sweden
“Nothing to complain about”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The hotel is good, well situated in the "old Dubai" just in front of Dubai museum. Rooms are very nice with at clear Arabic design. Staff was very efficient. Wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again. However, I only stayed for one night and had no time to explore spa, pool, restaurant and breakfast, but the room I had gave me one night of very good sleep. Quiet even if it faced to road outside.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dgjohansson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

When you enter your room and find that every piece of furniture has been marked or chipped, your first thought is ‘This place has got “tired” written all over it’. Now this is not necessarily a derogatory remark. Sometimes ‘tired’ means superior service and facilities at a lower price. The best example I have experienced of this recently was at the ‘Yacht Club’ in Phuket. Another thing is that first impressions count for a lot, hence the importance most hotels place on the quality of their staff at the front desk. Perhaps I was unlucky, but I didn’t have a good ‘front desk’ experience (the girl from E. Eur somewhere seemed to be in another place), and furthermore, I was asked for pre-authorisation on my card for 200 dirhams to cover any extra costs I may incur during my short stay. I am always mildly irritated by this, as the message conveyed is ‘You are our client, but we don’t trust you AT ALL’. Anyway, when asked for this, I make a point of not spending a brass razzoo extra at the hotel. There seemed to be three or four restaurants attached to the hotel, so they missed out on extra revenue. This hotel is quite popular with Westerners and I was surprised by the number Aussie twangs and Pommie accents I overheard at breakfast. This would not be typical of most equivalently priced hotels within a 1km radius of Al Fahidi Tubestation. Breakfast by the way, was fine. My room was acceptable and quiet; wi-fi was free but strength was poor; bathroom was very small but it did have a bath, and the bed was on the hard side. The floor was a rather hideous plastic wood, light brown colour conflicting with the dark (chipped) furniture. The gym was clean but no more than medium equipped. The pool frankly wasn’t worth the effort. In summary, - average. Would I recommend it? Well, if you are looking for somewhere midrange within a few hundred metres of Al Fahidi station, it’s okay, but you can definitely do better for the same price if you study further.
Postscript – my stay was obviously an ill-fated one. My ‘front-desk’ experience worsened considerably the morning I left. The receptionist forgot to return my credit card and I did not notice until I arrived at my destination (Mauritius). I wont go into details regarding the subsequent stuffing around. Two reception issues in succession are reason enough to steer clear of this hotel I think.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank chancador
HabibKhan, General Manager at Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
First and foremost, I appreciate your valuable time to post your review followed by post review sharing your experience and expressing your opinion. Arabian Courtyard Hotel as described in its profile and on Web takes pride in preserving and presenting the Arabian Hospitality, Heritage and Culture. Located in the oldest part of Dubai, right opposite the Dubai Museum, this Iconic building was tastefully and successfully transformed into a hotel about 10 years back, theme of the hotel is inspired by the warm Arabian culture and traditions. Our Décor and Furniture are based on providing a peek into gone by era. There are lots of woodwork, marble, leather and rich fabric used in its furnishing and decoration. Interior Designer avoided having glittering, shiny Formica and use of MDF in the room. Instead, preferred to use dark wood and created the warm rustic and coziness in its design. Wood are not chipped but made to feel aged out, many people may not like or appreciate such rustic/distress classic design but there are a lots who purposely choose this hotel because of its unique characteristic, friendly and personalized services.

I am not sure how our Guest Service Agent Yuliana has offended you but if her offence was that she asked for a security deposit to cover the incidental charges, such is the procedure throughout the world unless the guest is booked by an affiliated/contracted company or is a member of Travel Loyalty club. We are extremely sorry, if you felt offended, it has nothing to do with trust, it’s purely a safe business practice.

Lastly, we apologize for the post departure scenario. It must have caused much inconvenience as you left behind your credit card after settlement or as claimed GSA forgot to hand it over. In both cases we are extremely sorry. However, I was much disappointed with the quality of service when I learned about this mishaps through your email received yesterday and personally investigated the matter, up to the extent of viewing the CCTV for complete transaction. Apparently soon after signing your bill and offering the credit card, you zipped your laptop and did not even wait to collect the receipt and rushed out. With-in seconds, GSA followed you to the exit but bit too late, you had a transport waiting and gone.

Thereafter, all our efforts to send the credit card via courier to you gone in vain because Courier Company imposed the condition that it can only be sent if the card is deactivated and a confirmation from bank is required. You requested not to cancel or deactivate the card as it was issued in Australia and may cause further inconvenience, hence, asked to keep in our safe custody, request was honored. Our Duty Manager wasn’t aware of such strict rules and agreed to courier earlier in ignorance, although it was done with good intention and meant well but we once again apologize that it may have caused certain stress and inconvenience.

We will appreciate if you give us a benefit of goodwill and provide us an opportunity to serve you again. We are very confident that you will have a positive impression of our services and professionalism but our furnishing and style will remain unchanged but well maintained.

Yours sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here with a friend and I thought it was excellent value for money. The hotel is just opposite the Dubai Museum in Bur Dubai so it is quite far out, but the taxi's are cheap and it suited our purposes. I also found the taxi drivers excellent. As two girls travelling together, we always felt safe, the drivers were friendly, knew where they were going and I never felt like they were trying to rip me off.

The area reminded me very much of India, in which I used to live, so I liked it, but some may find the Souk over the road a little overwhelming, but I found everyone friendly and up for a bit of banter.

The hotel staff are lovely. I thought the welcome when I arrived was wonderful and fruit was brought up after I had been shown how everything works. The rooms aren't the most glamorous, but they are cheap and we literally only slept and bathed there and then were out all day. The beds were comfy, the rooms were clean and they had everything you would need.

we ordered food from room service and ate in the bar and the food was ok/ good for both, but there are so many good places in Dubai to eat, these probably aren't the best.

Good hotel for what you get, but I would probably stay closer to Dubai Mall if were to visit Dubai again, as that is a more central location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HannahMumbai
Reviewed August 20, 2013

il was wonderful , when you enter in this you see imediatly that you're " an guest "
Very kind and thoughtful staff
If you need somebody the person and at your disposal directs you and helps you
Furthermore within the hotel you can find a tourist office(desk) to advise(recommend) in your activities
Hotel recommended
Think you again :)))

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mourad93
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this Hotel is wonderful.... we were greeted with a welcome drink even though we arrived close to midnight. Staff are really friendly and helpful, especially the doorman resplendent in his Arabian Nights uniform! Extra large and comfortable room, spotlessly clean. Nice breakfast. The location is fantastic if you want to stay in Old Dubai... right across from the Dubai Museum where the hop on hop off bus stops & we found that this was a great way to see all of Dubai. It is about a 15 min walk to the Metro, but is a very pleasant walk ( even though it was 40 degrees ) Would definately stay here again when we return to Dubai.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rustyandsue2
Albany, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We are at the Arabian Courtyard now as a stopover to Dublin.
Did not arrange airport pick. Worked on the local taxi's. Dubai airport is very easy to navigate large signs to follow. found the taxi stand and was shown to a large black Lexus. 75 d to the Arabian. Figured this was the luxury version but very nice.
Local taxis are cream in color and everywhere. If they don't know the Arabian the museum is across the road. The Arabian is as the photos show out of the main city centre a bit electic looking but still very nice. Room was ready at 2.00 pm, helpful staff and nice facilities.
We are staying for three days so will experience the breakfast and bars later.
As you are in an Arabic country the 4.30 and 5.00 am prayer call is a new experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greg8780
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Arabian Courtyard. Can definitely recommend to anyone. Very friendly & helpful staff. Good size rooms, very clean. Across the road from the Dubai museum which is worth a visit. Would go back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple