“My Holiday”

Ranked #141 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Dublin, Ireland
“My Holiday”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Arrived early morning of the 18/12/12, left on the 31/12/12, had a very nice stay, but not stay in room 310 again, it was cold and draughty and at the front of the hotel so fairly loud with the traffic, for a 4 star hotel this was a bad thing, also 2 minor items not working in the room, because of the cold and draught i now have some kind of flu.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel provides everything you want and more at a fair price. I stayed with my partner and family for six nights over the Christmas period.

The staff were extremely friendly, memorable and often went beyond the expectation of the customer. Breakfast was excellent, with a live cooking counter, plenty of choice and table service for hot drinks. The hotel has a number of restaurants and a bar - all of great quality. Wifi is complimentary for two hours a day. Complimentary water is provided daily and complimentary fruit and cakes on occasions was a lovely surprise (possibly only over Christmas) The pool was small but ample and the gym was good. The rooms were clean and authentic. The see through lift was also great!

The Hotel is a ten minute walk to the creek and a twenty minute walk from the efficient metro (Great way to travel). The hotel also provides a free shuttle service to Jeremiah beach once a day! Despite not being in a prime city centre/beach location it's not far to travel by metro /walk therefore I would highly recommend this hotel as it offers the quality without paying the sky high prices of the other hotels in Dubai

Room Tip: A room facing the museum offers better views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Welsh07
HabibKhan, General Manager at Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us along with your partner and family for 6 nights during the period of Christmas. It is always an honor to know that our hospitality have met our guest’s expectations and satisfaction.

Looking forward to see all of you again on your next visit and once again thank you for highly recommending this hotel.
Poole
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Arabian Courtyard was the last hotel on our road trip of UAE and Oman and we left the best hotel to the last. Location is great for tourists, right opposite to the Dubai Museum. The hotel offers an inclusive valet car parking service. We arrived in the evening and our room was not ready, which was a disappointment as we had just driven from Muscat, via Al Ain and we were tired and in a need of a shower and change of clothes. However the staff were excellent and took charge of our luggage and took us to an 'executive lounge' for free drinks and cake. Before we had finished our tea our room was ready with luggage in place. The room was brilliant, with super views across to the Museum. We booked room only and therefore did not have breakfast, but we did have several excellent meals in the Chinese Thai restaurant, the Indian restaurant and the Sherlock Holmes pub, all the food was great and all served alcohol. 2 hours worth of free WiFi per day per room was available. The hotel is about 5 mins walk away from the nearest metro stop. The hotel runs a free bus service to the beach leaving at 0945 and returning at 1345, although we made our own way back using the bus and the metro. Hotel staff were excellent and the floor show in the Indian restaurant was great, with live singing and dancers. The hotel has a nice pool and sunbathing area and a very nice looking spa. We highly recommend this hotel as being both excellent and very good value for money.

Top tip visit the old gold souk and cross the creek using the local boat service and of course you must visit the Museum across the road to learn about the development of Dubai and the UAE.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorsetMark
HabibKhan, General Manager at Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
I would like to thank you for sharing your positive comments and for highly recommending this hotel as being excellent and very good value for money. It brings a smile on our faces to know that you were completely satisfied on the hotel’s location, services and facilities.

We would definitely love to be of service again and create many more memorable experiences on your next trip.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My partner & I stayed at this hotel from 26/12/12 to 30/12/12. We arrived at the hotel at about 6:30am and paid extra for early check-in to be told the room would be ready by 8:30am. We finally got to check in at 9:30am. The call to prayer every morning is actually quite nice to listen to & then just doze back to sleep! Don't let it put you off!

This hotel is in a great location to just jump in a taxi and go anywhere, taxi's are so cheap. We were reluctant to venture out at night down the main road because we were accosted to keep buying "copy watch" the entire walk to the end of the street towards the bus station for our trip to Abu Dhabi.

We also enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes bar on premises, finding bars in Dubai is not easy & just having in the hotel meant we could have some drinks before bed and they give you free nuts & copious amounts of free popcorn which I love!

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again ONLY because of the convenience of just hopping in a taxi & going anywhere in Dubai because of how cheap they are.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying 4 nights at the Arabian Courtyard Hotel and Spa and sharing your valuable feedback on this review. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed dining in Sherlock Holmes Bar and found the hotel’s location perfect and convenient to you in going anywhere.

Once again thank you and looking forward to welcome you back in your next stay.
Daventry
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked 7 nights at the Arabian Courtyard in February based on positive reviews and travelled with my wife and 4 year old daughter, we arrived on our first night at 2am exhaused from travelling to be told by reception staff that our room had been double booked and therefore alternative accomodation needed to be arranged (this I can see has happened to others since)
Whilst trying to keep calm so not to alarm my family I requested that we were put into another hotel nearby however my patience finally snapped when the reception staff began to look for alternatives and clearly hadn't made any provisions whatsoever to deal with the situation of our pending arrival - after approximately one hour someone calling themselves the manager told me that everything was under control and a room at the nearby Oasis court hotel was reserved and a taxi was called and off we went into the night, upon arrival at the Oasis we went straight to bed. The following morning I went down to reception at around 11.30am as our room in the Arabian Courtyard wasn't available until after midday, this sounds unpleasent but when you've not eaten or been able to unpack or get changed the experience is intensified so imagine my reaction when upon introducing myself to the Oasis reception team they hadn't a clue who I was or indeed what I was doing on their premises - whilst composing myself and counting to one hundred and something I smiled and politely requested they called the Arabian Courtyard who will explain the situation and collect us immediately.. half an hour and several phone calls later it was evident that we were infact stranded in this strange place so I asked them to call us a taxi - this sounds like a comedy sketch but they refused "unless I paid the bill for 1 nights accomodation.." with this I went back upstairs and told my family that everything was sorted, picked up the luggage and walked out the hotel, we flagged down a taxi that dropped us at the Arabian Courtyard at our own cost at 1pm (12 hours after our initial arrival time)

The hotel didn't exactly blow me away in terms of first impressions however I'd purposely selected a cheaper alternative to those on the Jumeirah strip and the location was ideal for catching up with friends and family which was the primary purpose of the trip, therefore I decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt. We selected the half board option when booking and the evening meals seemed reasonable in terms of value for money however the breakfast room had people queuing outside the doorway, there were not enough tables inside so we had to eat in an old fashioned Irish theme bar next door, the trouble with this option is that a pub without natural daylight, smelling of beer spillages and stale fags is a really unpleasent place to eat, especially with kids, the hotel suddenly felt a little bit claustrophobic with a tiny outdoor pool and a room without a balcony - we knew this when booking however the series of events were building and after 2 days the place felt dirty with ripped wallpaper, worn patches in carpets and pen scribble on the inside of our room service menu's (from a previous guest presumably) so we decided to book into an alternative hotel for our remaining 4 nights. Interestingly when considering the alternatives neither the reception or management team made an attempt to persuade me to stay, they were made aware we were leaving and could actually see where I was going as I had to pay to use the public internet within the reception area itself. I did like the guy who works on the front door, very polite and great with children whilst always controlling the safe flow of traffic within the hotel foyer.

This review should now end but for one final twist, the initial reservation for 7 nights was paid via credit card to a UK agent, I had to liaise with the agent in order to receive the refund of 4 nights accomodation but unfortunately the hotel agreed to refund 1 night only (relating to our first night) as we didn't actually check in until the day after arrival and thereafter denied all knowlage that we had left early - a lesson learned as I was unable to prove otherwise but unusual that nobody noticed us missing for 4 days, not even the daily housekeeping staff, given the circumstances thats appalling for more reasons than I care to mention

Room Tip: there are many good rooms in other hotels nearby
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank anthonygB9422OO
Dear Mr. Anthony,

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding the incident occurred during your stay in Arabian Courtyard Hotel and Spa, we would like to apologize for the issue you have faced.

We will appreciate if you can help us to identify and improve our services by sparing a few moments of your valuable time! Although you have described the unfortunate experience in a length but we were not able to get adequate information through our resources, your posting indicates that you stayed last year February 2012, whereas our record shows that you stayed in February 2009. If you could provide us a bit more details on your actual date of arrival and departure or forward a copy of your invoice, I will personally ensure that a proper investigation is conducted and a fair compensation offered. Moreover, it will help us to refrain the reoccurrence of similar type of incident with other visitors. I will highly appreciate it if you could e-mail me directly on exeoffice@arabiancourtyard.net.

Once again, my apology and thank you for your feedback and hope to see you in near future to change your opinion about Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa.
Norway
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you want a stay in Bur Dubai, this is good value for money in the expensive Dubai.
To be honest we found the area itself a bit dodgy. Not really very nice, seems to be a very poor area of town. Anyway. It had kind of a charm as well.

Over to the hotel.
FANTASTIC staff. Everyone smiled and everyone was as helpful as they could.
From the reception staff to the pool staff. Would rate the staff 5 star in a heartbeat.

Breakfast is excellent. a lot of different choices every day, not the same two days in a row.
A really plus for that. We stayed for a week now in December and it was a bit crowded. Two of the days we had to take the breakfast with us to the Sherlock Holmes pub.
No big deal, i guess the experience is better when the hotel is not fully booked.

Rooms itself was good.
Working AC, nice decor inside and a poor construction view outside.
Minibar and a working tv. Also provided free water everyday.
A plus for that.

Pool was very tiny and felt crowded as long as there was more than a few people in it.
But the pool area was very nice.

Also very nice with the complimentary shuttle to the airport.
A really nice service.

But i have to be fair. This hotel have some issues which prevent them getting full score from me.

1. Only 2 hours internet on ONE device included on each room. If you need more they will force you to pay the skyhigh rate. Thats something from the old 90`s. Cut the crap.
Today ALL travellers have at least one or more smartphones. In 2013 i actually expect free 24/7 wireless for all devices needed in a 4 start hotel.

2. We stayed in room 620. There is a connecting door to room 619.
It totally missed soundproofing. At our stay there were 3 noisy kids in 619, and it really felt like they were in OUR room the whole week. That was really bad.
It should have been double doors like there are in other hotels with connecting doors. One standard door is not good enough.

3. The mattresses in the king size bed was hard as rock.
And the mattress on our extra bed was even worse.
Hardest mattress we have ever tried. And we have tried a lot of hotels.

We did not think Dubai was so nice that we will get back.
In our opinion there are a lot of better alternatives.
But it we had gone back to Dubai we would have chosen Arabian Courtyard again.

Keep up the good work :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Apeks
Melbourne
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had booked for an executive room in order to be able to access the executive lounge amenities. Upon arrival were given a room which was an adjoining room to a party of three men -when they were in their room every word and movement was clearly audible. Thankfully we had not yet unpacked and requested relocation, which was done,but without any assistance from staff (i.e. we had to take our own bags). Can't quite understand why you would put a couple in an adjoining room right next to three lads on a holiday, and does not leave a great impression upon arrival, particularly after a long trip.

Our replacement room was very nice, decor and furnishings good. No complaints there. Yes, you will hear the call to prayer in the morning, but it was all part of staying in the older part of Dubai. I actually liked to hear it. Good location for shopping, not the most picturesque, but you feel like you are right in the heart of the day to day life of Dubai when you step out the door. Breakfast was fine, nothing special but quite satisfactory for us.

Free swimming pool was welcome after a long hot day, but $10 Euro each charge for the jacuzzi was a bit cheeky I thought.

We also wanted an evening cup of tea and headed to the Executive Lounge which, accordingly to the sign on the door, was open until 11pm, Apparently that means 9pm, and, we were informed, had meant 9pm for some months - even said 11pm in the hotel literature. When we pointed this out, and requested a cup of tea at no charge from the coffee bar in the foyer - after much conferring - this was allowed grudgingly, but they would not bring it up. Staff line was that the Executive Lounge closed at 9pm, they just kept repeating that blindingly obvious fact in the hope that we would give up. Surely just change the literature and sign? Only a cup of tea in the end, but again, argumentative line from staff simply alienates the guest, and could have been handled better - it wasn't like we wanted lobster - just a couple of tea bags and hot water

Overall, yes it was ok. I would maybe stay there again.

Room Tip: make sure they don't put you in an adjoining room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple