“Very disappointed”

and 1 more site!
Coral Oriental Dubai
Ranked #413 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We recently stayed at the Coral Oriental Dubai.. And what a disappointment. After looking forward to staying at this design 4 star hotel for some time, we were not happy to find that it was not really a 4 star hotel at all! The room was old and dated, bathroom was mouldy, tiles cracked, and generally looked tired and worn down. The only positive was that the bed was proper kingsize and VERY comfortable.
We were also disappointed to find there was no pool. Ok, maybe we should have investigated further what "pool access" meant. But we thought it meant onsite pool, not a 20 min busride (provided by the hotel I might add) to the public park where you had to pay to get in...
Also the hotel boasts of having two restaurants and a cafe open 24 hours a day. Well, the italian restaurant wasn't open through the whole time we were there (nearly a week), and the other restaurant didn't want to serve us anything from the menu. Only buffet or nothing!!

On the positive side, the staff was very friendly, and helpful, although it appeared there was a lack of local knowledge. And of course the price for the hotel was decent, however, do not think you are getting a good deal, as we would class the hotel a 3 star at best...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Happy_travel1
Coral Oriental D, Front Office Manager at Coral Oriental Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Guest thank you for your valuable feedback on your stay at Coral Oriental Hotel!
We are sorry to hear about the room was old and dated, bathroom was moldy, tiles cracked, please be infrom that work is under proses of remodeling. I have personally addressed the matter to our Management and this matter has been taken care. We thank for your comment for the King siza room bed.
The Hotel has never had Pool since its opening, However Hotel have daily shuttle Bus to Mamzar Beach and kindly note that Mamzar Beach have private beach with entrance fee and Public beach without.
Our Rumours Cafe is open 24hrs for our In-House guest and Al Dante Italian Restaurant it get booked so often on weekly basis for private function, the set menu is only served at dinner, when there is no buffet. it is not available at lunch time.
Thank you for your comments about our Staff, which will be conveyed to them.
Again we like to apologies and we look forward to seeing you again at the Coral Oriental Hotel and ensure you for our best service.

Warm Regards
Front Office

Reviewed August 14, 2011

stayed for 2 days. excellent staff who are very freindly and flexible. The hotel is spotless , well placed in the heart of Dubai and of reasonable price. No night club which is an advantage in Dubai but nevertheless nearbye night clubs are in abundance.
Suitable for both families and solo travellers. Needs to provide free internet access in the lobby and to include Sky news in thier TV package.
I will definitely recommend this hotel and I will not go to any other hotel whenever am back to Dubai.
Well done staff and keep the standard

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Hadi000
Reviewed March 27, 2011

A perfectly fine hotel for budget travellers; the room was reasonably clean, and the staff were pleasant to deal with.
I did initially have trouble finding the hotel though - the public transport directions that Google Maps had given me were wrong, and I spent 2hrs walking around in 37 degree heat (with a 20kg backpack) trying to find the place, and no-one I spoke to had heard of the place. So I would recommend people going here to catch the Metro train to the Union stop, and then catch a taxi to Naif Rd where the hotel is opposite the second mosque along - don't try and walk there like I did!
Compared to Western standards, I would think that the hotel is 2/3star, rather than the advertised 4 star - no frills, but like I said, it was perfectly adequate for people who would rather spend their money on exploring rather than just on where they are sleeping.

I stayed there as a solo female traveller, yet I would urge caution to anyone who is thinking of doing similarly. Whilst the hotel was fine, the area is not the best for single women, even if they are covered up. I originally tried walking to through the streets to the nearby Gold Souk (30mins walk away), however this was definitely not a good idea, and I quickly concluded that taking a taxi to and from attractions was a far better plan!
This being said, the hotel was fine, but for girls staying by themselves, please do be prepared to taxi to and from places - it's not too expensive, and it is always better to be safe than sorry!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Hotel claims to be a four star with rack room prices at around 700-800dhs. When advertised at 180dhs you believe you are getting a bargain. In reality this hotel would be lucky to get a 1-2 star rating and at 180dhs you really being ripped off. The rooms are small, uncomfortable and very dirty. We arrived to find stains all over the sheets, dirty used tights on the floor and marks all over the carpet. Unreliable running water- continually changing pressure and temperature from one extreme to the other. Breakfast inedible and poor selection. Sloppy presentation and preparation.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I booked this hotel and because of other reasons I had to cancel it. Their guidelines of cancelations are very misleading. It says if we can by 12 AM of the day of arrival. This confuses people easily and will lose money. It is actually the midnight previous day. To make it simple If we are suppose to stay on the 24th november, we should cancel it by 23 59 on the 23rd of november. So the Idea of 24th november 12 am is to purposefully mislead the customer so that they could charge £43 like they charged from me. So beware of this hotel and read all their small prints. And they also have never heard of something simple called 12 midnight or 12 noon or even 24 hour clock system.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank srekanth
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed in this hotel from 8th jan. to 13 th jan.2011. The hotel is very nice, rooms also are too good. the only problem is with the manager and a couple of the reception staff. The manager is at his annoying best and still manages to keep a smile on his face. He would not even allow me and extra time for check out for even 2 hours saying that the hotel is overbooked on the day, whereas it wasnt the case.Moreover , when I asked the room service to send me an extra dish and a fork, she said they give in the room only 1 time in a day and if you want again , you have to pay extra 10 dirhams , ONLY FOR AN EMPTY PLATE! how ridiculous can they be?But the house keeping staff was really polite and soft spoken.always had a genuine smile on their faces and greeted all guests on seeing them.Infact they much more well mannered than their so called bosses.
Although , I have written many negatives about this hotel, It doesnt mean this is a bad hotel.Its jus about 3-4 staff people are inefficient. Otherwise , this really is a very good hotel.I'd recommend.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2009

The hotel was slightly older than what I was expecting. The interiors are quite dark, and there isn't a lot of light in the common areas. The staff is extremely welcoming, very helpful and kind. At my arrival I discovered my travel agent caused some problems with my reservation, but the receptionists managed to sort everything out. The room was quite spacious, had a nice decor and was provided of all main facilities. In the bathroom I found the best toilestries ever...such a fantastic fragrance!! Breakfast was ok, and I particularly appreciated the big fruit selection. The hotel restaurant isn't excellent, and I preferred to have meals in other city restaurants. After all, despite its 4 stars, this is not the luxury hotel you might be thinking of when thinking about Dubai. But at the same time, I haven't found any reason be unsatisfied.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business