TripAdvisor

from $299.47
from $435.61
from $355.00
More Info
All reviews dune buggies private dinner nature lovers desert experience sand dunes bucket list sand boarding terrain bbq blast landscape jeep sandboarding safety shisha
Selected filters
Reviewed June 6, 2019

Explorer Tours – Dubai

The adventure started by being picked up at our Hotel and transported into the desert by Toyota 4x4. It was a relief to find we were the only ones in the air conditioned vehicle, and we were not part of a lengthy hotel crawl picking up other customers. The driver was friendly and as we departed the city in exchange for the open desert we had much to talk about and learned a lot about the local life in Dubai. As we transitioned from modern world leading architecture to endless desert, I was still intrigued by what I saw.
It was interesting to see how slight winds can cause sand drift encroachment onto modern freeway roads leading out of Dubai similar to snow drifts in colder countries and to realise the maintenance required to keep the sand monster at bay. The sand has nowhere else to go, it is endless and still keeps moving, swallowing up anything stationary in its path.
It is easy to see the expansive spread of the desert online and in movies and documentaries but is awe-inspiring to witness firsthand. I find it amazing how in the past people and tribes lived out in the open heat in the desert environment without shade, air-conditioning and water on tap, even now the basic requirements for the comforts we take for granted (electricity and water) have to be alternative.
Eventually we arrived at the off-road dune bashing area where the sand had changed from white to yellow to a red/brown colour. The dunes were like ocean waves about to break, and some very very high.
After a quick briefing, helmets on, a follow the leader self-drive buggy experience unfolded for an hour with powerful 2000cc automatic transmission buggies with full roll cage protection and 4-point independent suspension.
I imagined being the Dakar Rally with as much power under foot as was necessary. Nice to know we were supported by a back-up crew in a follow-up 4x4 (which was not called on) should there be a mishap.
I was allowed to fix and use my GoPro. I recorded the whole off-road adventure and now I can re-live the one-hour experience again and again.
With tails wagging pulse still racing, we set off by road for a short drive with professional off-road driver and more dune driving to the inland desert camp site by a Toyota 4x4 as passengers only. We were shown around the offerings of the camp and our reserved low-rise table with pillow seating all set on top of huge carpet mats floating on a sea of sand.
Food, water and soft drink included. The food catered for those wishing to try traditional flavors and vegetarian delights, tasty BBQ chicken & beef squers were on offer. The desert BBQ experience of local cuisine was enhanced by a traditional dancer and all wrapped up within 1.5 hours.
Short duration camel rides were included for a photo opportunity, the photo’s are for sale.
The night trip home to our hotel in Dubai seemed shorter that the trip out. All round tour experience of 6 hours from 3.00pm pick-up was an adventure to be cherished. Thank you to Explorer Tours and all who made the day possible.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

Its been a week and I still cannot get over our Private Dinner in the Desert experience with Explorer Tours. Whether you’re a UAE resident or a tourist, this unforgettable and one-of-a-kind experience is highly recommended.
Living in Dubai for nearly 16 years, I’ve done desert safari many times. But this was a unique and ultimate desert experience with private dinner.
The Explorer Tours offers many and varied bespoke adventure and outdoor activities in Dubai and we opted for the private dinner in desert experience.
Our private dinner in desert experience started at 4pm in the noon where we were picked up from our residence by their driver/guide in a luxurious jeep. After an hour of leisurely drive from Dubai, we reached our destination and our first stop was the camel-breeding farm.
As nature lovers, we soaked in the pristine natural landscapes and spectacular desert sunset was stunning. If you’re a photography enthusiast like me, this is the perfect spot for you. I was happy clicking away and the best part is no photography filters are required as the whole landscape of the desert, mountains and the sunset is naturally beautiful.
We also did a bit of dune bashing and after sunset we headed to the private camp that was set just for us. While our hosts Mohsin and Umar were getting our dinner ready, we had fun in the sand and whizzed down the sand dunes on sand board.
The Arabesque dinner setup was cozy, gorgeous and romantic. We were served dates and Arabic coffee on arrival, followed by traditional Arabic bbq and Shisha. Delicious dinner under the stars in an alluring and dreamy atmosphere and it was magical. The whole experience was complemented by warm and welcoming Arabian hospitality.
Wish we could have stayed longer. What a fabulous and memorable experience it was and definitely we will be coming back again in winter.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank Megsblogged
Reviewed May 2, 2019 via mobile

Had a great time!
Professional service and amazing experience. Loved every bit of it...
non touristy, authentic, beautiful desert experience.

Reviewed April 24, 2019 via mobile

My family and I had the most memorable time with Explorer tours on our Private dinner in the desert experience. From start to finish touch points the service was remarkable. An experienced and knowledgeable driver picked us up and gave us insights and info on the terrain throughout the drive. Following an exhilarating drive bashing the dunes in a well equipped and safe land cruiser, we drove to a private area where an exclusive dining experience was being set up while we got up to trying our skill at sand boarding for the very first time. It was truly remarkable as my kids got to experience something special in the desert and away from gadgets and technology . Later we basked in the sunset and soaked in the views of the Arabian desert and horizon while the kids had a blast riding the sand on the board. The night sky was magical and what was even more special was the opportunity to sit beneath a star lit expanse and enjoy a traditional Arabian fare. The food tasted fresh and delicious. The menu included salads , mixed grills, hot beverage and soft drinks. The setting for dinner was also truly authentic with Arabian carpets, majlis style seating and bamboo lanterns welcoming us to the magical dining experience. Overall one of the must-do experiences we’ve tried in Dubai and one not to be missed. This should feature on a bucket list and on top 5 experiences in Dubai. Would recommend this and definitely will come back with family and Friday visiting the city.

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

I have lived in Dubai for the past 13 years and this is undeniably one of the best experiences I have had in the UAE. And hands down THE best adventure experience out there. We got picked up from our door step in a private Land Cruiser by a really friendly and professional driver. When we left the tarmac and got into the desert, it was clear that the driver was someone with awesome experience. Brilliant.

We got to the Dune Buggies in about 40 minutes from when we were picked up. Although I was a bit apprehensive of the Dune Buggy at first, as soon as we cleared the first sand dune my faith and confidence was restored. This was a beast!! Sheer power and undeniable control. The suspension was out of the world. Enough to feel the adrenaline but comfortable enough to keep the motion sick wife from calling out to the Heavens. The buggy has a broad base, so going belly up is almost an impossibility. The lead driver, who you follow was such a great guy. Knew the dunes like the back of his hand. Which is very important.

What is more interesting is that the buggy is not some of the shelf ATV. This one was designed and created by the owner of the company himself. It’s clear that hundreds of hours of R & D has gone into it. It impressive at first sight. The minute you sit in it and turn the ignition it screams power. Like I said this is a beast of a machine. The company is paramount on safety so there is a safety brief before the ride. They have invested in top of the range harnesses and helmets and googles etc. IF YOU ARE IN DUBAI YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!!

Our experience was finished of with a private BBQ dinner under the stars in the middle of the desert. Staring at dusk and soon you can see a million stars since there is. I light pollution. They have awesome, friendly and kind staff. Over all, it’s a must try experience. One that you will write home about.

Date of experience: April 2019