“An eye opener”

Combo Dubai City Tour and Desert Safari
Ranked #13 of 226 Shopping in Dubai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Mamiya jewellers is an jewelry establishment in 1966, having profound experience & competent prices & quality in diamond , gold & bespoke jewelry manufacturing.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“An eye opener”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I went to Dubai last April with my friend on a business trip (as usual I will include leisure in my itinerary!). We stayed in Ibis WTC so the most convenient way to travel is by taking the metro train (red line) (affordable - they even have ladies coach). Most of the traveller using the train is tourists and foreigner workers; i guess for locals they preferred to have their schauffer to take them everywhere). It was very safe, clean and comfy (how they managed the cleanliness and safety is by a very strict rules and regulations; they will fine for almost everything!). Upon reach the Khalid Bin Al Waleed (red line) station, change to Al Ras (Green line) station. From there u can just walk until u find a pier. We took a traditional looking boat that costs us AED1 to cross the river. And then we walked again to the spice souk and gold souk. It was authentic! We bought lots of things there and on the way back to the river we were very tired and we decided to hired a helper to carry our things. It was worth it! The helper was so good, he carry our things into the boat. When we asked about the fee, he said it's up to us, how much to give. This was a true shop till u drop thing. Try it.

Visited April 2012

102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“A MUST IN DUBAI”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Of course a souk is a souk, meaning a place you can buy almost everything, discussing prizes. But this souk has more than local specialities: this is the place to buy gold, silver and jewelries. There are so much jewelries stores that this impossible you cannot find exactly what you want for the prize you are willing to pay. Do not miss carpets and spices boutiques which you will find very best quality at a very cheap prize.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Paul-Claude33
Brisbane, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Amazing Dubai”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having made more than eight trips to Dubai on business in the late 1990's, I was eager to check for myself how Dubai had changed when we visited in June 2012. From a few shopping centres, in the 90's, more glamorous than Australian, Mall of the Emirates and Dubai Mall were mind-blowing. And there were many more. The hotel options were equally amazing - we stayed at Pullman Mall of the Emirates which was a great base. (See separate review). Lunch at Burj al Arab was so expensive and we were the only ones in the restaurant - disappointing but the ambience, food and service were exceptional. The Arabian Adventures Dune Bashing was a must, a unique experience and totally worth it - especially if you get one of the best (and most adventurous) drivers and we did. A nightime visit to the Gold and Spice Souks was a not to be missed experience - check the gold price first - easy to get there - Metro red line to Khalid Bin al Waleed station, change to green line to Al Ras and a ten minute walk towards the gulf. Do not hesitate to use the metro - easy, cheap, clean, regular, packed and cheerful. Window shopping in the Malls will always tempt the visitor and the eating options (no alcohol) are many and varied. Tried to book into the Friday Brunch - through the hotel concierge - a Dubai tradition among expats and plenty of locals but every hotel was booked out, with waiting lists closed. Most of the larger hotels have a club or executive lounge and these are generally good value - drinks and snacks (could replace a meal) in the evening. With the Emirates/Qantas link, use Dubai to break the trip, both ways. We had one day on the way to Europe and three days on the way home. That worked OK - with more time, could have made it to Abu Dhabi - or taken a day trip to further Emirates, e.g. Fujairah. Make sure you have the airport pick-up and delivery organised prior to travelling. Weather - although we were there in late June, it was only 35 degrees and not too hot. I have been there when it was 45+ and that's awful.

Visited June 2012
Venice, Italy
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Golden delights”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Gold, gold and more gold!!! My eyes felt like I was in Ali Baba's cave when I went to the Gold Souk. Initially I was reluctant to go the the Gold Souk as I did not plan on buying jewelry whilst in Dubai, but alas as a typical tourist I was persuaded to pay the souk a visit. I only bought a pair of gold bangles, and had quite an experince whilst there. The stall owners love gold, and expect that you love gold too. Whilst I do love gold, I don't often have an opportunity to wear such elaborate pieces of jewelry (hence my minimal purchase & interest) but I must admit in retrospect that there is enough to tempt you into parting with your cash! Go if you want bargain priced gold jewelry, and be sure to bargain as much as possible - never settle for the first quoted price as the supply is in excess here. Never buy because of pressure from the stall owners, as I said they try to convince you that you love gold as much as they do! I would only go here again if i had need for such jewelry, so its ticked off my list of travel expeditions :)

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Venetian_Love
mumbai
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“The best place in the world to buy GOLD”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you like to buy gold and you are from any part of the world..... this is the best place to buy gold.
Pure and latest designs there are many shops here.... be aware they charge making charges on percentage basis so one has to bargain the rates for making charges. Also ask for free bees when you shop. Go looking around as this is a huge place, try shops inside building or shops at the back. try and shop form ONE shop itself so one can bargain a lot and take free bees. Worth to buy gold from this area. Can recommend MALABAR GOLD shop

Visited November 2012