This is my favourite place in Dubai. We only live half an hour away but we've stayed there 3 times in the last year. We often visit for the day and use the pool (you can buy a day pass and there are 2 for 1 offers in The Entertainer Body book) and go to the Al Hadheera restaurant in the evening (2 for 1 offers in The Entertainer Fine Dining book) . This is a must for all visitors to the UAE. It combines an amazingly cheesy but brilliant show (complete with belly dnaders, whirling dancers and goats, camels and horses) with a wonderful buffet out in the middle of the desert. The hotel itself is lovely. It feels like a real Oasis in the middle of the desert and it's a great break from the bustle and hustle of Dubai/ If you drive there, take a map of Dubai and the area. The first time we went, we didn't have a map of Dubai, just a map with scant directions to Babs and we got completely lost for hours. Once you know the roads out of Dubai; it's very easy.
The pool area is great and very large. The pool water does seem quite chilly in the autumn although the hotel claims to heat it. If they do, they don't heat it very much. Having said that; it's superbly refreshing in the hot spring and summer months. The rooms are lovely; very evocative of Arabia and really lovely. Some rooms are interconnecting but instead of having internal interconnecting doors, they both have front doors into a little hallway which then has its own front door. This means that you and your husband can have real privacy whilst the kids are next door but you know that they're safe. The breakfast is great. I've never eaten in the Indian restaurant although I hear good things. The brunch that Babs did on Easter Day was excellent and enjoyed by kids and adults alike. The only slight negative is that when I took my parents to Al Hadheera, we went to the rooftop bar for a drink first and didn't get served for almost half an hour. They were very busy and it is rather dark, but that really is no excuse. The staff are great and very willing and eager to help and, unusually, the little hotel gift shop has lots of things you'd like to buy and it isn't a complete rip-off.
This is one of my favourite places and I'd recommend it to all visitors and residents of the UAE.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Translated from Arabic as "Gateway to the sun", the *award-winning 5-star Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa is designed to resemble a fortified rural Arab village amidst the desert landscape. Featuring low-rise architecture, this sandy coloured style fort boasts the main tower with Reception area and lobby and clusters of two-storey buildings housing guest accommodation, restaurants, spa and meeting facilities interconnected by seemingly endless little walkways. The charm of Arabia is personified in every corner of the property with small lanes running through the hotel, scattered around ponds and secluded seating areas, shaded courtyards, water fountains and trickling streams bestowing the feel of cool tranquillity. The abundance of green garden areas and manicured lawns adds to the quiet and soothing environment of the resort. The rustic Arabian theme of exterior design continues to flow in the carefully selected interior decorations and settings featuring uncovered natural stone floors, bare plastered walls, dark wood and iron fixtures, warm dimmed lighting and an abundance of artefacts showcased throughout the property. The resort boasts 113 rooms and suites offering cosy accommodation in an authentic Arabian style with majority of the rooms having a private terrace. All guest rooms and public areas have complimentary Wi-Fi access. *World's Leading Desert Resort, World Travel Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Bab Al Shams Desert Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bab Al Shams Desert Hotel Dubai
- Bab Al Shams Desert Resort And Spa