“Rather disappointed”

Ranked #6 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Surrey U.K
“Rather disappointed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My colleagues & I chose to stay here at the end of June had high expectations. We have all stayed in many chain hotels across the world & decided to stay at The Grosvenor House as, although we'd all stayed in Dubai on previous occasions none of us had stayed here.

I have refrained from posting a report before now in the hope that Guest Services would contact me within a reasonable time frame, as promised by two different members of staff. However, I know that I will not be contacted as four months have passed.

We arrived at approx. 8.30 am & were ushered to comfortable seating & given refreshing soft drinks whilst the paperwork was completed. One can't help but be in awe upon entering, the reception area certainly has elegance with glitz & the flower displays very impressive. The ladies toilet facilities were excellent from cleanliness to flower displays to lighting to seating.

I asked for a high floor for one of my colleagues & I as we were sharing & my request was granted. We were all able to access our rooms after the paperwork formalities were efficiently completed which was greatly appreciated.

Upon entering our room, my colleague & I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed because not only did we not have a balcony (although we had not specifically asked for a balcony, just a high floor), but our room had an interconnecting door so we did fear that we would hear guests in the next room & spent the whole stay wondering. We were too weary to return to reception to request a change .

The view was good, beds were comfortable, amenities tray replenished daily & complimentary toiletries being Bulgari, were good. A minor quibble was regarding the shower cubicle as although a standard size, was a tad limited to accommodate a rain head shower if one doesn't wish to get hair wet nor wear a shower cap.

A bin for items to be recycled as well as a conventional bin was supplied.

As we'd arrived early morning, we freshened up & were able to enjoy a leisurely breakfast. We breakfasted each morning in the hotel & are of the opinion that the offerings were excellent with a variety to satisfy many dietary requirements, some items were freshly cooked to order & used crockery & cutlery efficiently & unobtrusively cleared.

We all dined each evening in the hotel & again the offerings were varied & many with very good presentation & again some items cooked to order.

One of my colleagues & I decided that we'd like to book to view the Burj Al Khalifa. We contacted Guest Services & our tickets were booked efficiently at a time that suited us. We didn't book until the morning we thought we'd like to visit to ensure that the top viewing floor wouldn't be shrouded in fog. Well worth a visit.

We frequented the spa on a couple of occasions & the treatments were good. We also visited the sister property to access the beach & also pool facilities & were impressed. However, it's a fair walk from the pools to the sea itself so those with restricted mobility would struggle.

Each evening one of my colleagues & I were always last to join other colleagues by a few minutes, our choice. However, because our colleagues were already seated & had declined the wine list, we were never offered a wine list so we had to ask if the restaurant had a particular wine. Each evening they did, but we had no idea of cost until being presented with the invoice at the end of our stay. One evening I asked for a large glass of wine & the waiter looked at me blankly. To save any fuss, I just said never mind.

One evening, I had selected dessert & upon dining, found a foreign matter in it. I commented upon this to my colleagues who all saw what looked like a short hair. I called the waiter to our table & asked him to remove the plate which he did. Later during our meal, a senior member of waiting staff approached our table & acknowledged the fact that there had been a foreign matter in my dessert. He did not offer us a complimentary drink to acknowledge my distress & embarrassment, & inconvenience to all of us, but stated it would be looked into. He returned later to say it was not a human hair but a fruit skin item which looked like a hair, & that an investigation would be carried out to determine how the item could have reached my dessert.

Although this matter was referred to later in our stay to state that the investigation was being carried out & that no conclusion had yet been reached, I was assured that I would be contacted in the future.

Later in our stay, we returned to our room later afternoon, to find that 'please do not smoke in the room' style notices had been placed by each bed. My colleague & I were confused as to why these notices would be placed in our room when we had specifically asked for a non smoking room. In fact, it grated on us. We did ask at Reception why these notices had been placed in our room. The receptionist was unable to give a reply but said that the matter would be investigated & we would be contacted.

Upon checking out of our room, I again asked if the 2 issues had been resolved, but was told neither matter had. I had to ask for & negotiate for a deduction to our sundries bill to take account of these issues in which we were partially successful but, we should not have had to ask, nor negotiate. I had to check that Guest Services had my email address correct in their records so that I could be contacted & a member of Guest Services gave me his card to assure me I'd be contacted.

We were both very disappointed in Guest Services & so were our colleagues when we informed them. No-one from Guest Services contacted me.

My colleagues & I had chosen to stay here to see what SPG could offer, especially at one of their flagship hotels & whether we should consider moving our current loyalties. There are a great number of prestigious hotels in Dubai but this property failed us & I gave them fair chance.

Room Tip: Ask for what you would like, e.g near lifts, high floor etc. Your request may not be granted but bei...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Roxy-Popsy
GHLRM, General Manager at Grosvenor House Dubai, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Grosvenor House Dubai.

First and foremost, I do sincerely apologize for having given you cause for disappointment and sorry that your experience on this occasion was not up to your full expectations.

Please may I assure you that we take all our guest comments and feedback to be of extreme importance to us, hence, it would be very much appreciated if you could give us another opportunity to speak to you personally and therefore I request if you could please contact us directly on Guestservices.Grosvenorhouse@starwoodhotels.com.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to hearing from you.

Pam Wilby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at GH Dubai for four nights in a premier junior suite with a wrap around balcony that faced both the marina and gulf. The views where wonderful and the room was elegantly appointed. Not over the top luxe but understated and tasteful. Given the G & G (Glitz & Gaudiness) that can sometimes be hard on the eyes in Dubai, I greatly appreciated this. Everything was spotless and they offered complimentary Bulgari products in the rooms. The Level 5 lounge had excellent variety from breakfast to tea time to dinner and drinks. The hammam, sauna, gym and steam room were nice as well. But it's really the service at GH that makes this property a standout. There was nothing that was too troubling. Indeed they tried to anticipate our needs at every turn. We arrived at 4 am. The car service was prompt and the driver was waiting with water and cold scented towels. We were checked in immediately so we were able to sleep until we headed out for a late breakfast at Level 5 (which was served until noon everyday). I greatly appreciated the late breakfast hours. Sometimes on vacation I just don't want to get up and eat by 10 am. The hotel is located in the Dubai Marina--which has a nice selection of restaurants (though it was hard not to just fill up at Level 5); it is thus a newer hotel facility. GH is also not far at all from the JBR. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
RGDxb, General Manager at Grosvenor House Dubai, responded to this review, November 10, 2013

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are truly happy to hear that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us and were extremely pleased with the service provided by our Ambassadors as well as the facilities we have on offer at the hotel.

It is a pleasure to note that on this occasion we has the opportunity to accommodate you immediately on arrival and found the room we had allocated you to be wonderful and elegantly appointed.

Additionally, we are glad to know that you were pleased with our Spa and Health Club facilities as well as with the Level 5 Club lounge benefit and particularly appreciated the late breakfast timings.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

i have to be careful because i represent a huge travel company but having stayed at almost every five star hotel in Dubai and seven star i can safely say this was without a shadow of a doubt the best service i have ever received in an hotel worldwide. My wife and i are strict vegetarians no meat no fish no egg. We mentioned this to Anil and Kirath the breakfast managers and the very next day we given a basket of egg free bread and cakes. They even prepared egg free omlettes for us using grammflour. my wife unfortunately fell unwell one evening and their resident nurse was attending within minutes. All hoteliers stay here and learn how it should be done.
the location is superb a few minutes walk to the metro. An array of restaurants to choose from at the Marina as well as JBR. We are fans for life. A special thank you to Anil and Kirath.Mr and Mrs Bhardwaj

Room Tip: all the rooms have balconies which is a must
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RGDxb, General Manager at Grosvenor House Dubai, responded to this review, November 9, 2013

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

It was a pleasure to read from your review that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us and were extremely pleased with our Ambassadors high level of service.

We are sorry to hear that your wife was unwell one evening during your stay, however happy to know that our team was able to attend to her.

All your kind comments are truly appreciated and will be shared with Anil & Kirath and the team.

It was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guests and we look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a business meeting at this hotel for 2 days. I was not staying at the hotel during these 2 days, however, I liked the hotel, its service and food. The lunch buffet had very good choice of food to select from. It had Shushi, Indian food, separate meet grill counter, plenty of salads and the best of all was the big variety of desserts. During the 2 whole days of our workshop, we were treated with good sandwiches, and other good snacks. The hotel staff were very friendly. I have stayed at this hotel previously a few years ago. At that time I was given a suit and it was very spacious and clean. This hotel is located very close to the famous Jumeria Walk and the Marina. Evenings you could walk to these places for great entertainment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RGDxb, General Manager at Grosvenor House Dubai, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Having stayed with us before, we are delighted to know that you had enjoyed both your stay and business meeting at the hotel and were extremely pleased with the friendly service of our Ambassadors as well as the selection of food we have on offer, particularly at Sloanes restaurant.

All your kind comments are truly appreciated and it was indeed our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit or stay at the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

What a fantastic hotel! We have just returned from our trip to Dubai and visited a few other hotels whilst we were there and were just so pleased to have been staying at Grosvenor House. It was incredible! Stylish, elegant and classy, worth every penny.
Excellent service, large rooms with everything thought of and the comfiest bed I've ever slept in, large balcony with beautiful views, 24 hour room service, really great bars, restaurants and quality of food, I wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend it. Breakfast was delicious with lots of choice. We ate at Ottomans, Buddha Bar, went to the Siddhartha Lounge and Embassy within the hotel. It is in an excellent location at the Marina and is a relaxing place to stay. I think it is perfect for couples. Thank you to the staff for making our stay so amazing!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JenileeR
RGDxb, General Manager at Grosvenor House Dubai, responded to this review, November 2, 2013

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

It is a pleasure to read from your review that you had a wonderful stay with us and found the hotel to be stylish, elegant, classy and good value for money as well as found the service of our ambassadors to be of high quality.

We are also delighted to note that you liked the room we had allocated for you and found the bed to be very comfortable. We are also glad that you were able to experience most of our F&B outlets and found the food to be delicious and of good quality.

Thank you once again for recommending us on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

We booked a 2 night stay at the hotel for my 50th birthday. This was our 4th stay at the hotel, I had emailed the hotel prior to my arrival requesting an early check in as we were travelling overnight and landing in Dubai at 5.30am, we arrived at the hotel at about 9 am and our Room was ready, the staff at the reception were amazing, I requested an upgrade and we were given a room in tower 2, with level 5 Club access. Our room was luxurious with beautiful touches like the different fruit everyday as well as the little gifts on turndown and the bvlgari toiletries. Our room had a balcony attached and the view of the sea and marina was amazing.
We chose to have breakfast at the main restaurant in tower 1, what an impressive spread, this is definitely the best hotel breakfast I have had.
I was spoilt with a delicious chocolate mousse birthday cake and grape juice, Thank You.
Check in and checkout was effortless and extremely professional.
We used the hotel shuttle to the beach at the Royal Meridian, which has a wonderful stretch of beach and the most amazing rolling lawns and pool areas, we also used the shuttle in the evening to walk on the Jumeriah Beach promenade.
The Spa facilities were sublime, we loved the Hamam pools and felt so rested and pampered, hope we can return soon.
All in all an amazing stay at an amazing hotel that only gets better with each stay.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

Having stayed with us many times, we are truly delighted to know that you have chosen us to celebrate your 50th birthday and once again had an amazing overall stay with us.

It is a pleasure to note that on this occasion we had the opportunity to not only accommodate you immediately on arrival but also provide a room upgrade. We are also glad that you were pleased with the level of service provided by our ambassadors as well as the little surprise that we had organized on your birthday.

Additionally, we are happy to know that you were able to make use of the pool and beach facilities in our sister hotel, Le Royal Meridien.

All your kind comments with regards to the room, spa, and breakfast experience are truly appreciated.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our four-night stay at the Grosvenor started off right with a complimentary upgrade to a suite. The rooms are quiet, the service is attentive, and the little luxuries (like Bulgari bath products and Patchi chocolates) are divine. The great benefit of this property is that guests have access to the sister hotel's beach (Le Meridien), with a shuttle running every few minutes, for a lot less than Le Meridien's prices. There's also a convenient shuttle to the Mall of the Emirates. The only (minor) complaints would be that the control panels next to the bed are a bit confusing and unnecessarily complicated (the designers were ambitious in trying to have the lights, temperature, clock, and housekeeping controlled by one device), and the temperature of the AC in our room was never quite right. Aside from those two minor things, we had a fantastic experience.

1 Thank Alice M

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read from your review that you had enjoyed your overall stay with us and were pleased with the service rendered by our attentive Ambassadors.

It is our pleasure that on this occasion we are able to provide an upgrade for you, however we are sorry to hear that you encountered some inconveniences with regards to the use of the control panel and temperature of the A/C. Your feedback is of immense value to us and had been shared with the concerned managers for review.

We are also glad that you were able to make use of the complimentary shuttle to the mall as well as to our sister property, Le Royal Meridien, and utilize the pool and beach access.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back.