“Disastrous Check In”

Ranked #5 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
“Disastrous Check In”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I arrived from Hong Kong at 6am on Jan 12th for a 7 night stay at the 5 star Dar Al Mas Yaf at Madinat Jumeirah . I had stayed here in October, and unfortunately had one or two issues, which were addressed by the Asstn Guest Services Manager at the time and a promise made that when I returned in Jan everything would be taken care of......
Imagine my surprise when I arrived, and not only was there was no one in the lobby to check me in, but the room I'd been promised wasn't available. To add insult to injury the room I was given for myself and a colleague had a double bed instead of twin beds.
What's happened to Dar Al Masyaf's attention to detail, and to the concern for repeat guests.
It's not what I had expected, nor is it 5 star.
I'm very disappointed.
Andrew Wood

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are normally very nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndrewW956
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Mr Wood

Please allow me to profusely apologise for the inconvenience that may cause on the day of your arrival.

I believe our Rooms Team have been in contact with you to sort out this matter and allocate you in your preferred room. Please be assured that our team has made all the efforts prior to your arrival to ensure that a courtesy room was provided, while waiting for your preferred room to be ready.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor and sincerely hope that this matter will not deter you from returning to Madinat Jumeirah in the future.

Anne-Marie Houston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wow, where can you start?

Firstly, the making of this resort is the staff. They are exceptional, most attentive and nothing is ever too much trouble.
Arrived a good 6 hours before check-in! Madinat Jumeriah must be used to this as we were taken to a dedicated lounge with big leather reclining chairs, bathrooms with showers, amenities, drinks, cold towels, all while we waited. Got the room after waiting for an hour which was great considering how early we were.

You are taken all around the resort(s) by either a golf buggy or boat, lovely! Beach is amazing, fantastic view of the Burj, makes a great picture. Swimming pool was huge and a lovely kids activity play area, never seen so many lifeguards! Everyone is very safe.

Villa was out of this world, biggest bathroom I have ever seen. Double doors leading out to the terrace and a bed the size of two king size pushed together!
Complimentary drinks for 1 hour in the evening along with your fellow neighbours.
The butler service is great, they managed all of our restaurant reservations, requests etc.
It was my partners birthday, all the staff made a point of wishing him a happy birthday and we returned from the beach to find a lovely birthday cake in the room- great touch!

So many restaurants on site, there is something for everyone. Our favourite was the Italian- Segreto. We loved the Agency bar for a nightcap, seems very popular.

Off site, the Thai Buddha Restaurant in the Grosvenor Hotel was out of this world. Request a table in the main area (this is a smoking area but has the best atmosphere and scenery- we are non smokers and didn't find it a problem)

100% recommend and one day I'd love nothing more than to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Laurena7
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us at Dar Al Masyaf, Madinat Jumeirah.

I am delighted to learn that you had a great experience while residing with us, I have also shared your comment regarding our butler service and they are equally happy to receive your feedback.

Thank you for choosing Madinat Jumeirah as your holiday destination and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Madinat Jumeirah, hopefully in the very near future.

Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is quite nice but the service is terrible. The villas have their own butlers who are very uneducated. We asked them to make reservation for dinner in some restaurants but once they made it in a restaurant's lounge, not in the restaurant!
I got severe food poisoning ( I was only eating in the hotel) and had to call the doctor, and I was nearly admitted to hospital!
The butlers woke us up at 2 am once, and 7 am several times: they called us on the phone because of some stupid issues.
I would never recommend this hotel and never come back again!

4 Thank florina598
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were unsure as to what to expect - Arabian summer houses arranged around a series of tranquil waterways. And that was what we got. From the moment of our arrival to our departure, the service was polite, efficient and reliable. The suite, upstairs, overlooking the swimming pool, with interior courtyard and efficient butler, was well appointed, if a little on the small side, compared to the bathroom which was huge - double sinks, stand alone bath and separate shower and toilet. The description on the travel sites indicates "beach views". We were disappointed to discover that our room did not overlook the ocean. When I pointed this out to the Receptionist on check-in, I was told that this was an issue with the website; the websites indicate that this is an issue with the hotel, as they provide the room description. If you are looking for a room with ocean views, look further! The hotel was most helpful ( and instrumental) in obtaining a visa for us. We were most appreciative of this service.

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the waterways and not the ocean as indicated in the website ad. We had hoped for...
2 Thank A_regular_traveler57
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Dar Al Masyaf at Madinat Jumeirah, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your review and to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing Dar Al Masyaf for your holiday, among the many options available in Dubai.

We at Madinat Jumeirah endeavour to provide nothing but the best of service and facilities to all our guests. Your kind comments regarding various elements within the resort is the reflection of our efforts in ensuring that you are well looked after and that our service standards exceeded your expectation.

I am sorry that you did not receive the right information with regards to the room type, however should you wish to have a room or a suite that overlooking the ocean, you will need to book one of our Gulf Summerhouse Ocean Deluxe or Suite. These are the 8 Summerhouses that are located right on the beach side.

Once again, thank you for sharing a review on TripAdvisor and for indicating that you will return to our resort. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Madinat Jumeirah, hopefully in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our first time at Dar Al Masyaf and we were blown away by the experience. The staff were all exceptional, and completely dedicated to ensuring we had the best time possible. Everything from the room service, to the beach, to the restaurants were fantastic.

The beach was lively enough to be fun but not so busy that we were cramped. The whole place was luxurious and kept to a very high standard.

1 Thank stuartmcain
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor, following your first stay at Dar Al Masyaf, Madinat Jumeirah.

I am delighted to receive your positive comments and on behalf of the team, I thank you for highlighting so many positive elements during your holiday, your feedback will certainly motivate our team to continue on providing the best in product and service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Madinat Jumeirah, hopefully in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I have visited Dar Al Masyaf a number of times and have never had a bad visit. We went one week before Christmas and had a beautiful Christmas tree in our room! The staff were really friendly and helpful. The pool was not too cold or not too hot, it was perfect! The breakfast is the best breakfast in Dubai! My younger brother, who is 11 loved the kids club. Every week the kids club offers a free henna to all the children. The abra and buggy drivers were so friendly!

Room Tip: Villa 13 and 14 are brilliant! If you are looking for a big room these are the villas for you.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lilliedxb
Dear Guest

The team and I are delighted to receive your comments and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Our guests' perspective is very important to us and shared this with the relevant department.

Once again, thank you for sharing your stay experience and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Madinat Jumeirah in the future.

Morpeth
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Returned in early December from our fifth visit to DAM, staying in gulf villa ( (second time). great room to relax in and always sleep well in their beds, Butlers were spot on, food and beverage service across the resort has improved over prior year (and was very good then). we think this hotel is world class, will return again in 2013 and perfect for us as a couple. We have stayed with our kids twice when in late teens who think it tremendous. Beach (and service) works well, we want to switch off and this is a great place for it. I'd recommend to any couples wanting a safe and secure environment and a hassle free break. Restaurants are outstanding - Jumeirah have great hotels, if you want a relaxing beach break and high quality food, this is for you

Room Tip: Ask for a villa close to a private pool - if you have room in 9.10 or 11 you have an easy walk to th...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and also for your continued loyalty towards Jumeirah Group.

Along with my team, I sincerely appreciate your positive comments and am delighted that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, they are delighted to learn that their efforts are very much appreciated by our guests.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Madinat Jumeirah, hopefully in the near future.