“Good value in a good location”
Review of Dubai Nova Hotel

Dubai Nova Hotel
Ranked #472 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Nova during a recent visit to Dubai. We needed a budget hotel--not easy in Dubai as another reviewer mentioned-- and decided to go with the Nova because we really wanted something downtown and we wanted something clean. We loved the location (although I think we were lucky to have a room not on the main street). The staff was very friendly and helpful. Internet was available at a good rate. There are different categories of rooms.

Indeed, this is not a 5 star hotel. The rooms are very big and our room was not modern. However, it was very clean and was cleaned every day. We had everything we needed. Breakfast was simple, but as we were on a budget, toast and coffee or tea was enough. Remember that there are different kinds of guests and everyone's idea of what is a good breakfast is different.

If you want to just hang out at a pool at a hotel, pay the extra money and go for a more luxury hotel. You can find good deals online. Because we wanted some time to do this, we decided to pass the second half of our stay in a nicer hotel. Unfortunately, in the nicer hotel we had to pay extra for things like breakfast and couldn't just pop out to get a bottle of water or a quick snack or even just a pleasant evening walk.

Overall, we particularly liked the location, the fact that it was very clean and safe, and would recommend it for couples on a budget.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank tristate2

Reviewed January 16, 2008

We had tried to book the property through number of well know web-sites but couldn't got confirmation in due time. So decided to call them up and reserve it directly.

They charged for triple room/occupancy but upon arrival said all the rooms are booked and we have to take double room with extra bed and no refund.

When we checked in the room found it is very smelly, wash room is broken, very horrible atmosphere. Up on complain to front desk they said it is the best room they have offered to us. After waiting for two hours with my kids in the lobby they were able to show two more rooms with similar problems but little less smell. We had no choice but stayed there. We paid about $150 a night for the room but the room/hotel worth not more than $30 a night. The front/entrance of the hotel was pretty neat and good but actual hotel inside, halls and rooms are not maintained in decades. Also there were broken AC/electric switches, no iron and very creepy TV.

We strongly recommend to AVOID the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank jamilsh
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and found it fine. The hotel is centrally located to shops, banks and restaurants. The museum is just walking distance. Rooms were spacious. Staff was curteous. Hotel is in a busy shopping area, but we didnt hear noise in the rooms. Breakfast was available and fresh omlette was made to order.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank pamkaur
Reviewed December 18, 2007

We stayed in the Nova Hotel Dubai on the 19 and 20th september. We had booked and paid for both nights however upon arriving at the hotel and finding the condition of the room to be unacceptable we left the following day and booked into another hotel. The porter excorted us to our room and I did try to keep a very open mind as I noticed that there was a curtain at the end of the passageway covering up some construction work. Hoping once he opened our door it would be better unfortunately it did not. The bedspread had cigarette burns in it - we did ask for non smoking. The room was really rundown. The bathroom had a shower rod that was held up by toilet tissue. There was a window which just looked out to a ugly wall. Construction work hammering started above our room at 8am the next morning. I could not get out fast enough. We travel all over the world and travel for up to 8 months every year and have been doing this for 3 years now and we have stayed in thousands of hotels. I am sorry this one did not work out as I do not like posting bad reviews however i though the public should be aware. thanks Julie Heady

Stayed: September 2007
6  Thank skidgy
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Lets face it, visiting dubai is not cheap! All other hotels will run you over $200 USD (including Holiday Inn, Novotel and Ibis) Dubai Nova hotel will offer you the same service for less than half the cost! Its in a very convenient location at walking distance of the creek, dubai museum, and the gold bazar... Its also $12 USD cab ride away from all other major attractions!
The hotel offers you the basics, however do not expect 5 star luxury since the installations are somewhat outdated. I felt safe leaving valuables in my room and the staff was extremely friendly and eager to please .

PS. Dont forget to try the shawarmas from across the street!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank lroca
Reviewed October 5, 2007

This hotel offers tremendous value for money and location is very good. 3 double delux rooms for 4 nights cost £534.00. Had 3 kids & 1 teenager as part of party. All was content and happy throughout our stay. Hotel staff very polite and ready to help. (4th floor shower not so good as low water pressure - got moved to 3rd floor when mentioed it) Rooms were clean, spacious and we was'nt worried about valubles - some of my party went gold buying. I thought location was great. Its in Old Dubai so out of the developing mertopolis which can be a good thing and many shops within hotel vicinity seem cheaper, bought mobile fone saving £10-15. Opposite the hotel is a fantastic Shawarma place. I noticed all locals and many staff eating there. I strongly advise to try the fruit cocktail (about 30p). if they sold that here I reckon about £3.50. So so good and nothing artificial. Things to do - Desert driving, wadi water park, Burj Al arab tour, river cruise & meal, all aranged from tour desk in hotel by independant staff but trust worthy. Maybe I was lucky I dont know, but I booked this place after reading the reveiws, and anybody else doing the same I would recomend this place as a good, clean, cheap place to stay for someone who wants to rest, wash and eat breakfast and leave your belongings somewhere safe. If you want a hotel that has a swimming pool, yoga classes and in general just want to hang around the hotel it self rather than explore Dubai then you may not enjoy the Nova.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
15  Thank ManUtd1999
Reviewed April 23, 2007

I stayed at Hotel Nova for four nights in April, 2007. It was my first visit to Dubai.
I booked my single room on allhotels.com for $76 per night, including taxes and free breakfast.
I selected Hotel Nova because it was one of the few hotels in my price range that had no bad reviews on websites, because the location looked good, and because it was within my budget.
I was very impressed and entirely satisfied with the hotel. My room was very nice, and was cleaned well daily. My room had its own balcony. The refrigerator, airconditioning and hot water worked well.
The staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. I contacted the hotel prior to my arrival, and they communicated with me by email, answering my questions and advising me. I very much appreciated this.
I requested a quiet room. It appears that all of the rooms in the hotel are quiet because the hotel's outlets (shows) are in a separate building that is beside the hotel.
The location was fantastic, very close to the river and the museum. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple