“Good location”
Review of San Marco Hotel

San Marco Hotel
Ranked #356 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Fairly cheap hotel in the old part of Dubai. Close to many sights along the creek. The hotel is a bit run down but clean. Service is good. They made quite an effort to get a taxi to us thursday night. Breakfast is very strange - mashed potatoes and stew. It seemed more like dinner than breakfast.

They say that they have a balcony, but they dont. It is near Hyatt but not right across.

We would recommend it, it you need a simple hotel witth good location.

• Stayed: October 2008

Reviewed October 12, 2008

I stayed for about 3 days at the San Marco. The breakfast was good for the amount of money paid. There was no internet so I had to bring my laptop to the nearby internet cafes to log on. Clean hotel. Staff at front counter were civil. Latest check-out allowed is 1pm. No loud booming nightclubs which were a big plus! However, it's almost impossible to get a taxi there so I would advise that you have your own driver if you're in Dubai on business.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2008

I decided to stay at the san marco hotel in dubai because i enjoyed my previous stay the last time i was there-i normally stay at deira town hotel, but because of the noise from the nightclub, i decided to try san marco because of reviews i had read. I had an appointment with my doctor in dubai, so i decided to lodge at the san marco once more. I came back from shopping, a day after i had checked in and met my room locked-i couldnt use my room card to open the door. So, i now went to the reception to complain and one of the staff now said 'maybe you've not paid thats why the door isnt opening'. Luckily i had my receipt where i paid for my room for the one week i was going to stay, and instead of apologising, they merely rectified the mistake. I was so angry, i now berated the staff and he even had the nerve to tell me i could go to another hotel if i wasnt satisfied staying there! I now asked them wether that was how they treat their guests or was it because i was black? I noticed i was the only black lodging in the hotel. The only good staff with exceptional customer service was the indian (cant remember his name) that checked me in. Anyway, they can continue having the russians stay in their hotel for all i care-since it belongs to a russian-if thats how they want it! Afterall, there are better hotels in dubai. I've told all my friends worldwide (most of them are white) of my experience, and they vowed never to stay at the san marco. I will never stay there again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank midastouch2
Reviewed May 17, 2008

we statyed between 6 to 16 of may in san marco it's a nice hotel for the price you pay. the only thing the check in time is at 12 noon though the flights normally arrive in the early morning so we had to wait for about 3 hours in hotel before we could check in the hotel paid for the taxi to the hotel from airport staff is very polite and helpful. we had a problem with toilet it was leaking but got fixed next day. taxi is a big problem but a little efforts needed good breakfast and overall clean hotel in the area.so if ur looking for a good time go ahead and book it.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed April 12, 2008

we chose the san marco hotel for the last night of our stay in dubai as it was a bit cheaper and a lot closer to the airport than were wed been staying. after been taken to our room which was small, stuffy and had a distinctive smell we checked the bathroom only to find ants running around the shower, tiles missing from the wall and a dirty shower curtain. we asked to be moved to a different room, to which they obliged only to find it was the same as the previous we therefore checked out immediately and found another hotel. This hotel is well below average and do not reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank yorkshire10
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I would rate my one night stay at San Marco as a pleasant one and good value for money. This hotel is located in Deira Dubai which on the other side of the creek. We paid Dirham 550 for a triple occupancy room. The room was tidy and very well maintained. The bathrooms/toilets were clean. Only complain here was that the hot water pressure was too less and so having a nice hot water bath was not convenient. There is a restaurant in the Hotel which serve buffet as well as ordered food. The food was ok, but the food items in the buffet weren't labeled. So identifying the food items was not straightforward. Fitness freaks would be glad to know that there is a gym in the hotel which can be used by the customers. Its not a big one but has reasonable equipment for a nice little work out.

Another thing I liked about this hotel is that there are no noisy night clubs in its vicinity. So no late night music and you can enjoy some peaceful sleep after a tiring day of sightseeing.

The room price includes breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is served as a buffet and had a wide variety of options like toast, omelet, samosas, juice, vegetables etc.

Due to the short stay we hardly interacted with the staff. But we enjoyed good customer service.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a budget hotel in Dubai.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank nikhildubhashi
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Extremely friendly and helpful staff at this 3 star hotel in Deira. We found the location convenient for 'Old Dubai' and there is a bus station near the Hyatt if you do not want to walk or take a taxi.
The items at the inclusive breakfast were varied daily but it was hot and there was enough choice. The restaurant menu was sufficient and good value. We always walked back from the Creek and found the souks fascinating.
We had two rooms at the hotel; one was slightly better than the other, decoration wise but both were clean. Also, we had asked for a quiet room and they had allocated rooms at the back of the hotel away from the road.
The rooftop pool is not heated, has a few seats and loungers and is good enough to sunbathe/cool down in. There is also a reasonable gym.
For the price of £50 per room b&b, we couldn't fault it. If you want a 7 star hotel try the Burj!!

For anyone new to Dubai, Deira is the old, interesting part - not the modern skyscraper part that could be anywhere in the world!!

Stayed: March 2008