“Excellent bar in Souq Al Bahar, Downtown Dubai”
Review of Kanpai

Kanpai
Ranked #584 of 9,971 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Dubai
Description: Embodying the spirit of Japanese hospitality, Kanpai, which translates to "cheers!" Brings Japan to the prestigious Souk Al Bahar District, only steps away from Dubai Mall, Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa. Whether it's for a short business lunch or a longer, more laid-back dinner, Kanpai will take you on a culinary journey of both traditional Japanese and Asian Fusion, Set in our unique contemporary and yet inviting ambiance. As firm believers in the importance of sustainability and freshness, our professionally trained sushi chefs serve you with only the best quality seafood and seasonal produce, creating culinary art with passion, precision and finesse. We, At Kanpai, take great pride in not only the choices on our exquisite menu, but also the unique experience and entertainment we provide our guests. Our Teppanyaki station is what brings the dining experience to life as our chefs put on the most delicious show fitting for those special occasions. Kanpai will entice you with not only our a la carte menu, but a range of set menus and a Friday Brunch as you sip our exquisite, signature cocktails, clinking you glasses as you say: Kanpai! All set to the soulful beats of our resident DJ. So see you soon at Kanpai.
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I really like this bar, as have done all of my friends I've introduced to it. There are a number of special offers with a four course dinner special before 8pm and a buy one get one free offer on certain drinks up to 9pm. In addition they have some great brunch offers on a Friday.

There is a restaurant area and a separate bar area, good partitioning means that the cigarette smoke of the bar doesn't intrude into the food area. Food is Asian European fusion with a heavy Japanese influence. Good quality, decent portions and friendly, knowledgeable waiters all make it a good evening chill out place.

Good DJ who plays good music, although I would prefer more heavy rock, but that's probably just me!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Special voucher offer on vipdeals.ae 149dhs 5 course all you can eat including soft drinks for Friday evening brunch really enjoyed the food and the staff are lovely we went early in the evening so it was quite and hard to judge the atmosphere. Definitely going back again !

Reviewed May 24, 2014

i had a great experience in Kanpai last days with my friends...everything was perfect....excellent atmosphere, good music and service...i will come back and i will recommend it to all my friends.
Tasty food...i tried Black Cod and Kanpai Yakimeshi ( as side dish) and i had great cocktails...

Highly recommended for great experience, if you will go to Souk Al Bahar, just try Kanpai, Monday, they have Live Band - Salha, she is amazing.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I'd read a lot about Kanpai and it had been on my hit list for months. I've popped in for drinkson several occasions and found the crowd levels to be varied. This never normally puts me off a place as I always like to judge based on the food and service. I dined at Kanpai last night with a friend...we went on the promise of good food and a few drinks for ladies night. First of all, the ladies night was falsely advertised on their Facebook page, but this was ok, we were subdued with happy hour. Service was quick and attentive...I was a happy customer. Browsing the menu, my friend and I both opted to order Black Cod and share a side of stir fry vegetables. Both arrived and were absolutely delicious. However, the Black Cod, was literally a piece of fish on the plate for 145 DHS! And the veg was 50 DHS! Now, I'm not adverse for paying for fine dining, however, Kanpai, you are no Zuma/Nobu! We were the only people in the restaurant and we had to endure the cheesiest band playing in the bar while we were eating which meant that we could barely hear ourselves speak! When we complained about the prices, the waiter said he spoke to the manager but no one bothered to come to our table. This was really poor customer service.

Kanpai has so much going for it...great decor, amazing food and a superb location. Why don't you start by putting a bit of rice and veg with your main courses (even just a tablespoon!) to justify the prices and turn off the speakers in the restaurant so people dining don't feel like they are in a cheesy hotel lounge in RAK. Maybe then you can justify the high prices you charge.

For the time being, unfortunately, I won't be back, or recommending Kanpai to any of my friends.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great ambiance however the service staff let it down, no management around the staff tried their best to be happy but could felt they were not happy to serve us.Food was average however really liked the design

Emma C, Manager at Kanpai, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2015

Hi Michelle, thank you for taking the time to review Kanpai.

We are sorry to hear our staff didn't serve you in an appropriate manner and also that our food wasn't satisfying enough to make you want to come back for more.

We want you to know that Kanpai is bringing on board a new culinary team (including an experienced Japanese Chef), developing a new menu focused on Japanese cuisine and working hard on many other improvements on the food, staff and ambiance.

We hope you can visit us in a couple of months and see the changes for yourself. Thank you.