“VFM Option”

Ranked #293 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Mumbai
“VFM Option”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

When I checked in to the hotel,I found many Indian travellers in the Hotel area and realised that most of the tour operaters offer rooms here from India. Which was actually good in a way cos the breakfast suited my family's Indian taste pallete.

Rooms are good AC, althought old style and have some need to contemporarise.
Service standards are good, polite & helpful staff.
Location is quite convinient. Was here for 3 nights comfortabley.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
CEOlandmark, Chief Executive Officer at Panorama Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear Earth69

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your stay at our Seashell Inn by Landmark Hotel in May 2011. I am extremely happy to hear that you and your family found everything at our Seashell Inn Hotel about our services we provide, our accommodation, the location and the friendly service we offer was to your satisfaction and all your expectations were met. It is always great to hear from our guests especially such great comments.

We truly pride ourselves here at the Landmark Group of Hotels to offer first class service at an affordable rate. We believe in providing our guests value for money during their stay with us.

I am very pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed all our F&B offerings from the Hotel.

I will certainly pass on all your comments to my entire team who will be very happy to hear about your great stay you had at our Hotel.

We really look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel in the very near future.

Landmark Hotels and Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
England
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed at the Seashell for 4 nights during April. The reception area is basic but functional and the desk staff efficient and polite. My luggage was taken to my room by a very friendly bell-boy who explained all the features of the room to me.

The Standard Room I requested was cutting-edge fashion in the mid-80s but is in serious need of a revamp. The bed was comfortable but the bedding should be burned as an act of mercy for future guests. The sheets were stained by what I hope was food and weren't quite big enough for the mattress size. I had them exchanged and was more satisfied with the less-old ones. Similarly the towels were appalling. I have a better towel at home I use to dry my dog with after he's been washed. WiFi Internet is available in the rooms for a charge. It's not very good but will suffice.

There is a personal safe available in the staff office behind the reception desk which is too small for a laptop but more than adequate for all other valuables. The safe requires 2 keys to function, one which you hold and the other kept by the hotel. I tested the principle and it is fine. You have 24hr availability for access.

Within the hotel there is Johnnies Bar in the foyer which is loosely based on the idea of a British pub/sports bar. It reeks of smoke but is fine for the occasional drink before going elsewhere. There is also an Indian restaurant and a nightclub on the ground floor so I recommend you request a room on the 5th or 6th floor if you want to sleep before 3am.

Breakfast is served in the dining room on the mezzenine floor and is ideal for the non-european guests. I'm not a fussy eater but couldn't face Indian food for breakfast so had to settle for a bowl of cornflakes and some toast each day. The dining facility is available 24 hrs a day apparently and I did have lunch there twice and enjoyed both meals.

The Seashell is staffed by Indians and caters for an almost all Indian guest list. This is perfectly acceptable and although I am not Indian I was made to feel welcome by all members of staff. For a good, reasonably priced hotel, the Seashell ticks all the boxes. It would score higher points if those bed sheets and the towels were replaced though.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Happytravellerman

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at our Seashell Inn by Landmark Hotel in April 2011. I am extremely happy to hear that you found our services we provide, especially our staff service to your satisfaction and that your expectations were met. It is always great to hear from our guests especially such great comments.

We are looking into refurbishing the Seashell Hotel very shortly and adding a few extra special surprises for our guests. We do hope on your next visit you will see some changes already made.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We booked via cox and kings for all inclusive package. Did not try food at the hotel but in general hotel room was big and comfortable. Bathroom had water logging problem and hotel is 2 KM from nearest metro. Has decent inexpensive food joints nearby, has small and big supermarkets at nearby distance. Overall good value for money if you plan to do city tour on your own or thru tour operator.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Rohitashgupta

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your stay at our Seashell Inn by Landmark Hotel in February 2011. I am extremely happy to hear that you and your family found everything at our Seashell Inn Hotel about our services we provide, our accommodation, the location and the friendly service we offer was to your satisfaction and all your expectations were met. It is always great to hear from our guests especially such great comments.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The hotel is very close to metro station, dock, malls etc. Its nightlife is famous in Dubai. Has good qaulity of premium restaurents. The Breakfast and evening events are cool. you can find markets like Mina bazar close by.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Ashishindani

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your stay at our Seashell Inn by Landmark Hotel in January 2011. I am extremely happy to hear that you found everything at our Seashell Inn Hotel about our services we provide, our accommodation, the location and the variety of restaurant we offer was to your satisfaction and all your expectations were met. It is always great to hear from our guests especially such great comments.

We really look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to our hotel in the very near future.

Lusaka City, Zambia
Reviewed March 10, 2011

OUTSET :
Iam Neravati Prasad, from ZAMBIA ( Indian national ) who travelled Dubai during March 11, along with my wife for a 4 days visit, is writing this review for the sake of fellow travellers.

initially i booked a room in city max bur dubai hotel, and on seeing the guest reviews of that hotel, i canceled my booking in that hotel through online and booked a standard room in SEASHELL INN hotel through online portal of BOOKING. COM. No excuses for the change of the hotel room from city max to seashell, as we enjoyed our stay in the hotel.

The exact location of the hotel is quite good , as it is within the vicinity of electronic shops, gold shops, shopping malls, metro stn , what not to all.

1. AL GOOD :
A - SITUATE :
The exact location of the hotel is an important issue to consider, and one can book in this hotel without hesitation. it is very near to all you want to shop or to see or to dine. no need to mention the nearer places, to everything it is near.

more all it is very near to BUS hub which is just 10 minute walk from the hotel. a number of buses will pass by the hotel, and bus bay is very near either to right or left. Also a plenty of taxis passing through, and the fully automated metro station is within th e vicinity.

B. CHECK IN :
I entered the hotel exactly at 4.30 am on sunday 06.03.2011, and it took me just 5 minutes to enter my allotted room. it was just amazing. MR RICHARD, the reception officer gave me a warm welcome and instead of wasting my time in filling the entry form i gave him my international visiting card to fill in the entry form by just signing the form. He has taken care of filling the entry form which was just commendable. he is a cool guy and always cheerful.

C - ROOMS :
The room is quite enough to live in for a short stay. the wash room neet and tidy. Bed is quite enough size for a couple of middle weight and size. dressing table is quite ok. after all the wardrobe is quite big that we shifted all our belongings into wardrobe and still there was space. quite plenty space in the wardrobe portion.
The room is simply superb , and tastefully decorated.

But the hotel management has to look into the replacing the old fashioned TV with a LCD Tv in the room .

Common safe vault is there in the lobby, and of course is ok, but management to re-look into the location of the vault, since the vault location is not in private room and in one of the accounts or computer rooms, snatching the privacy factor.

D - NIGHT CLUB:
if one wants to fill the heart and mind with romantic mood, can pay a visit to the NIGHT CLUB located in the lobby of the hotel.
some reviewers made comments that night club noise is a disturbing part, but we found no disturbance in our room with night club noise. of course we are in 4th floor.

E. PRIVATE PARKING :
The hotel has parking lot in its basement. and basement is quite large to absorb the guests vehicles.

F. STAFF:
The good about the hotel lies on the staff service, which was quite warm. I mentioned above about one of the reception officers approach to us, which was more than friendly.
whenever i need a thing or help they are quite good to respond quickly.
The room service man Mr MELWIN, seems a cultured guy and treats properly. one day we were about to leave at 9.30am for an excursion. we requested him in the previous day to come to our room first to clean in our presence at 8.30am. his duty will start at 8.30am but he assured us us that he will try to come at 8.35am as he has to come from his residence in the morning to report to duty. on the next day we waited for him at 8.35am and as has not turned up at 8.35 am we went for the break our fast at 8.40am, and to our surprise he came to the PEARL restaurant exactly at 8.42am and saying sorry for not turned up at 8.35am and he was ready to serve our room after finishing our breakfast. we wondered on seeing his commitment. Just amazing . a very smiling face guy in the hotel, who make up your room with a smiling face.

Cheers up Mr Melwin. GOD bless you.

G.BREAKFAST:
Break fast was simply superb and starts from 7.00am to 10.00am. Always the break fast will be served hot. what needs us more than this. Many reported about a vacant table. during our stay we did not face any trouble of finding a vacant table. we were there from 06.03.2011 to 08.03.2011, all these days we had a perfect breakfast with out waiting for a table.
We enjoyed the breakfast time with good stuff, and there was plenty of continental stuff, south and north Indian stuff with fruits, cereals. you will find the good and tasty mouth watering dishes on the tables.

For Indians and other south Asian community the breakfast is quite, quite , quite ok,

but management has to re-look into the stuff to satisfy the appetite of eastern countries tourists also.

H . HOT WATER IN THE BATHROOMS: we never witnessed no hot water time in the bath room. 24 hours the bathroom pipes are running with hot water.

2. AL BAD :
only two bad situations.
A. BATH TUB in the wash room:
The wash room is ok, but not the bath tub. there was a hole in the down portion of the tub, and the water was flown out during the bath. and if we want to fill the tub and take a dip in to tub, i hope we cant. while using the shower itself the water was flowing out from the tub, and if we fill the tub what could be the seen in my room no 415. hotel management has to look into the repairing part of the tub particularly in 415.

B.AIR PORT TRANSFER:
we found Mr BABY from the hotel , holding the placard writing our name and another guest name at the entrance to pick us to the hotel .
Surprisingly he asked us to wait in the opposite lounge since he came to the airport to pick another passenger also. It sounds us differently and then we just told him why we need to wait for another passenger to join when iam paying huge amount for pickup from airport. immly he talked to the hotel and on hotel instructions ( seems ) took us to the hotel without waiting for another passenger. It was just 10minutes drive from the airport to the hotel. we liked their spirit but not like the car through which we have been transferred from airport. It was not a 5 seater car, but a 8 seater.
I request management to look into the sending of 5 seater ( incl driver ) and not a temp traveller, since they are charging AED 65, instead of AED 20 ( this is the fare if you travel by a private taxi) ofcourse paying of AED 65 is ok, as somebody has to wait for us at the greeters lounge in the early mornings, by saving our time in finding a private taxi. so charging of AED 65 is maintainable , but not the size of the car sent for pickup. Hope management look into this issue also.

Apart from the above, the hotel was located at convenient place, and any body can enjoy the stay in SEASHELL.

HAPPY LIVING.

+260955326444
prasadn2005@yahoo.com

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PRASADneravati
CEOlandmark, Chief Executive Officer at Panorama Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear PRASADneravati

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our Seashell Inn by Landmark Hotel in March 2011. I am extremely happy to hear that you found everything at our Seashell Inn Hotel about our friendly staff, the service we offer, our accommodation, the location and our food was to your satisfaction and all your expectations were met. It is always great to hear from our guests especially such great comments.

We take all our guests comments seriously and will certainly look into our airport transfer and the waiting time of our guests as well as the issue you had with your bath tub in your room, I will make sure this is fixed immediately.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Location: The Seashell is 3 blocks from the bus station (for buses to Abu Dhabi), a 15 minute walk from the Khalid Bin Al Waleed metro stop (which can take you to the "new" Dubai areas), and a 10 minute walk from the souks, the creek, and Deira.

Atmosphere: The hotel is run by Indian staff and is largely occupied by Indian tourists and families. It feels safe and comfortable and interacting with staff is very easy. The breakfast is great and includes Indian dhosa, sambar and tea.

As a well-traveled young-professional woman I would recommend this hotel to other women who like to be active and adventurous while having a safe place to return to. Dubai as a city is not necessaryily that unsafe, but the cultural restrictions on women are noticeable. I booked the hotel online and with breakfast, service fees, and 1 hour of internet (10AED) included my nightly charge was 250 AED.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank eaw007
Dear eaw007

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at our Seashell Inn by Landmark Hotel in January 2011. I am extremely happy to hear that you found everything at our Seashell Inn Hotel had exceeded your expectations.

We feel the security of our guest is paramount and is our no.1 priority which goes hand in hand with the first class service we provide. I am happy that you felt safe and secure in our Hotel and you feel any woman looking for good, quality, safe accommodation in Dubai you are very happy to recommend our Hotel

Paris, France
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Thought I should review this hotel before I forget much of what I wanted to say, so here goes.

Date of stay - Christmastime 2010

SUMMARY :
The hotel itself is nice enough, the staff are friendly, the location is fantastic if you need to take public transport and want to be near the shops. However, the standard of cleanliness and the maintenance of the bathrooms need to be reviewed ASAP as they let down the rest of the hotel. Other people have mentioned noise from the nightclub, however we did not hear any noise, except for traffic flow. Possibly the nightclub was closed in December??

1. THE PROS :

A - LOCATION :
The location is probably the biggest "pro" of this hotel. It is close to the market area with shops, restaurants, bus station hub, abras etc. We chose it for this reason as we hadn't planned on hiring a car. Because the major bus hub (Al Ghubaiba) is just a 5 minute walk away from the hotel, a number of bus routes all pass by the hotel. There are also plenty of taxis passing by, and the metro station is a short distance away.

The staff were friendly. The check-in process was no different to any other 3 star hotel, but the return of the passports took longer than we would have liked.

B - BEDROOMS :
Has both Pros as well as Cons - The bedroom was of a good size and was tastefully decorated with sheer curtains for daytime privacy and lovely red and gold curtains for evening and nighttime privacy. There is a mini-bar which is stocked, and the usual desk and sofas. There were only two pillows and no spares in the cupboard as one would expect from a hotel of its class. Nor was there a private safe, which is usual for a 3-star property. We ended up carrying our stuff with us as using a common hotel safe in the reception is hardly private. However, the closet space was large with shelves and hanging area. This is much better than the Accor Group who tend to cater more for the one or two night business traveller and provide little or no shelving.

C - Private Parking :
The hotel has parking in its basement, so this is very useful when deciding which hotel to book, especially in Dubai where there is literally no where you can park without attracting stiff charges.

2. THE CONS :
Unfortunately more than the "pros".

A. Breakfast.
There are two problems with breakfast - a free table and menu choice.

If you are Indian you'll be fine. If you are not, well breakfast wll be a big issue. We stayed there for 8 days and had to go down for breakfast several times each morning to try to find a free table. It appears that the hotel is used for airline passengers (Air India??) who have had flight problems and as a consequence the breakfast room seems to always be full of Indian travellers.

This lack of seating caused us huge problems as we were alway late getting out and about in the mornings. One morning we were supposed to drive to Ras Al Khaimah but did not reach there until almost 1pm and as a result nothing was open until 4pm. It ended up as a wasted trip for us, not just in time but in petrol.

Menu choice : If you're Indian you're okay because the "hot" breakfast option is different everyday. However, menu choice if you are not Indian is very poor and boring. It's fine if you are there only for a day or two, but when out of the 8 breakfasts that we had, 6 of them were basically the same with the same chicken franks in chilli sauce, boiled egg and omlettes it becomes boring.

There was cheese omlette mentioned a couple of times, but it was hard to taste any chesse in it. Not sure what type of cheese was being used. Another time "masala omlette" was mentioned but again, it tasted no different to the normal daily "plain omlette". There was french toast maybe 4 times, in addition to the egg and chicken, and this was a welcome addition. One day there was really nice french fries, but they were swiped within 5 minutes of being put onto the hotplates!

As part of their Continental offering, there were danish pastry, croissants and muffins. However, the muffins were extremely dry and the pastry of the danish and the croissants were hard and not to proper standard that a European would expect from a croissant. Anyone who has ever eaten a proper croissant in France will know what I am talking about. Good quality croissant and danish are available in Dubai too so I'm not sure where the hotel is buying their product from!

Besides the above there is a choice of fruit juices, cereals, fresh fruit, tea and coffee. Not a bad quantity, however the quality is more of the issue with much of it appearing to be just the same as the day before.

B. BATHROOMS:
The nice bedroom is let down in a big way by the bathroom! What can I say about it?? The state of repair was far worse than the 20+ year old apartment we used to rent just down the road from the Seashell Inn some years ago.

The grouting is dirty, ranging from grey to black mouldy bits in some areas. It gave one a feeling of dirtiness to see the mould on the grouting and discolouration on the corners. On the wall near the floor was a long black hair where it had stuck to the wall by whoever had mopped the floor. This black hair was there the day we checked in and still there the day we checked out! This tells me that supervision of the cleaners is poor and cleaning standards are even poorer.

The tiling is dated and old fashioned. The wall behind the toilet tank had several different colours and pattern of tiles, pink, grey etc., obviously due to plumbing problems at different times over the years. No attempt at matching the original tiles had ever been made, simply patching it up with whatever was available to hand. This is unacceptable in a 3 star property. I wouldn't even do it in my own home, let alone expect it in an hotel.

The entire bathroom needs to be ripped out and re-decorated to a proper standard.

C - WATER FOR BATHING :
The bathroom has a bathtub, however there is no hot water to fill it. The temperature of the hot water tap was TEPID at best. Some times of the day there is NO hot water, leaving one shivering through the shower. Again this is inexcusable and unacceptable. If the boiler is not large enough to cater for all guests at any time of the day, then they need to address this issue and put in additional boilers.

D - TRAVEL DESK :
There is a travel desk run by some third party, where you can make bookings for tours etc. This is convenient for tour booking, however when it comes to vehicle hire, they are not running this themselves. We hired a vehicle through them and ended up paying at least 20% more. Nor is it really convenient since the vehicle is NOT available at the hotel, but you have to go to the actual car hire company's offices to do the paperwork and pick up the car. We could have gone directly to the car hire company ourselves and got a much lower rate than we ended up paying. There are loads of car hire companies in Karama, so unless you are in a hurry and do not want to check out what's available I would recommend that you do not use the travel desk.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentTraveller3
CEOlandmark, Chief Executive Officer at Panorama Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Dear FrequentTraveller3

Thank you very much for your kind words in regards to your recent stay at our Seashell Inn Hotel in December 2010, I am happy that parts of your stay was very good but disappointed that some areas you were not happy about. I assure you all your comments will be addressed by me and my Management team.

It is very pleasing for me, to see that my Management team and our staff was able to anticipate your needs and make you feel very welcome, this attribute is very important to us at Landmark Hotels as this for us is true Hospitality. I will certainly pass on your comments the entire team.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our bedrooms, we have just recently over our summer 2010 period re-decorated our rooms and we are looking to re-decorate our bathrooms this year to bring them in line with our bedrooms.

I am pleased you found the location of our hotel to be fantastic; I have to agree with you on this point as all our guests comment on this. You have a gateway to the whole of Dubai which connects you within minutes, to the wonderful Burj Khalifa, the eighth wonder of the world “Palm Jumeirah”, Dubai Mall and Mall of Emirates.

I am very disappointed to hear that you felt the cleanliness and the maintenance of the Hotel was not satisfactory, I can assure you this is not the normal practice and standard of how we like to operate at Landmark Hotels. I have gone back to my Hotel Manager, Head Housekeeper and my Chief Engineer for a full explanation as I agree with you this is not acceptable, but let me assure you that action will be taken on this.

With regards to the tepid water we are looking into this as we have not had previous problems before and I am hoping this was just a one off.

With regard to the food, at the time of your stay we had a large group in house from India, about 75 rooms staying with us for 10 days, this is not an excuse and I agree completely with your comments. We will address this problem and make sure that there is a bigger variety available to our entire international guest. I hope this did not cause you and your family too much of an inconvenience.

Regarding the travel desk as you are aware this is a 3rd party company, however I take full responsibility of them as they are in my hotel dealing with my guests, let me apologize to you on there behalf and I will definitely be dealing with the owner in this matter. Like my Hotel I expect good service to all my guests.

Once again thank you for your comments regarding your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the very near future.

Kind Regards