“Experienced Divers Left Disappointed”

Pavilion Dive Centre at Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Ranked #160 of 424 things to do in Dubai
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pavilion Dive Centre is a PADI 5 Star Career Development Centre located at Jumeirah Beach Hotel. Focused on PADI Certification Course, diving excursions into the Gulf and Indian Ocean are also available. PADI certifications are recognized worldwide and give you instant access to diving adventures all over the planet.If you are thinking of visiting us and taking your PADI certification, you should start your PADI e-learning now and contact us to book your practical classes. If you are certified and would like to do some diving on your holiday with us, please book in advance.We look forward to welcoming you to Dubai.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Sadly as an experienced diver, I found I left this dive centre very disappointed. The majroity of staff were friendly and it was very clean but that's about it.

As I hadn't dived for 6 months and 1 weeks, I was told I had to do a refresher which personally I thought was over the top, and it felt like it was nothing more than a money making exercise. Spending 4 hours answering questions, running through every conceivable discipline (pretty much my PADI again) in a swimming pool isn't what I expect considering my experience and considering that anyone who had dived 6mths ago wasn't made to do it. A check dive yes, but this was OTT. My partner hadn't dived for 3 years so I fully understood why she was asked to do it.

The guy who took us through the 4 hour refresher, who I believe has since left, was very cocky and sure of himself, almost arrogant and rude.

The next day we arrived early in the morning and it was a bit of a free for all. As we weren't staying at the hotel and hadn't been diving with them before, we had no idea where anythnig was or how we were expected to gather our equipment. Rather than our guide or a member of staff showing us, we were lucky to find someone doing their instructors course who was able to advise us on what to do etc.

The boat was very small. It didn't have a toilet despite us doing a 2 dive morning trip which is fine for men, but for ladies it may be a problem and should have been explained prior to setting off.

Once at the dive site, there were a bunch of people spear fishing, yet we continued to do a "wreck dive" which to be quite honest was the most boring I've ever done. The viz was poor and even up close there was nothing of interest - a few dead fish on the sea floor, a very poorly turtle and concreate blocks which had been dropped on the boat damaging it.

Still we held out hope for our second dive, only to be told it was the same site! Once again we went down and saw nothing. We ahd been planning on doing a couple of dives, but after this decided our time and money would be better spent elsewhere.

19  Thank ChrisEFrost

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Clean and wonderful environment,people here are very friendly and helpful just didn't like crowded area

2  Thank Nana1211
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our 3 older kids did the free intro to Scuba class and the younger two did the Bubblemaker (use scaled down tanks and regulators) in the pool. All loved it and want to do their PADI now.

2  Thank ILoveFood68
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Really experienced hands on instructors. Knew what they re talking about and took us out on the try dive. Worth while experience and was reasonably priced.

2  Thank StellanEd
See more reviews
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've started my dive education with PDC last October and I had a chances to dive with other dive centers in UAE and around the world, It's really one of the best for learning and improving your skills, High level of safety, instructors are very friendly and ready for any question or help at any time, even after completing the course, you can just came and ask, simply it's a Nice, Friendly and Professional place. Samir

3  Thank Samir M