“Good food, bad atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prime 68 Steakhouse

Prime 68 Steakhouse
Ranked #28 of 9,408 Restaurants in Dubai
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located high on the 68th floor, Prime68 presents a new generation of steakhouse, where supreme quality ingredients are served in elegant style. Panoramic views and a breathtaking urban skyline make Prime68 an experience to remember, evoking the glamour of times gone by with elegant art deco interior. Promotion: Friday: Boutique Brunch from AED 495 p.p.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good food, bad atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

The food at Prime 68 was excellent and on par with other steakhouses in Dubai. However, the atmosphere of the restaurant was terrible. It was incredibly bright white and didn't create a calm, relaxing ambiance at all. The floors, walls and lights were stark white. Our table for two was also so close to another table that we felt like we were part of their conversation. There were also mirrors on two sides of the tables, so every so often you would glance up and make eye contact with the person at the table next to you through the mirror - awkward! The service was good and the waiters were extremely competent. However, they did come off a bit pretentious and judgmental when we opted for a simple glass of wine as opposed to a bottle. Overall, we were really impressed by the food and the quality of steak, however may not return simply due to the atmosphere. We were looking for a relaxing evening out but Prime 68 missed the mark.

Visited December 2013

• Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“You have to try this!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband took me to this restaurant last night as a birthday treat. I can't say enough good things about it, the food was delicious, the service was impeccable, the surroundings exquisite and the view,stunning! Definitely one of the best steakhouses we have been to in Dubai. Without a doubt, we will be back. Loved, loved, loved it!

Dubai
“Very Good...Needs Minor Improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

I dinned recently at this place based on a friend's recommendations, having tried almost "all" steakhouses in Dubai so one can understand I always have a very high expectations specially when when the prices are high. So here are theprons and cons from my point of view:

Prons:

Ambience: excellent (the view from the 68th floor is amazing)
Food: starter salads were excellent, steak "creekstone ribeye" was really good and cooked to medium perfectly as per order.
Service: excellent...staff very friendly and helpful

Cons:

Though the steak was very good, but they could brought a better cut, as the one I had had big fat area which is little more than needed.

Having more options on cut size is very much needed...I love ribeye so do my wife but the 16 oz was big and more than needed.

Toronto
“Steakhouse means the steak must perform and it didn't.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

A group of friends and I dined here recently, enjoying pre dinner drinks and the panoramic views on the 72th floor bar before dinner. As noted elsewhere there is one on the 71st floor as well. As the tallest hotel in the world this is one of their pitches to customers. You can get a lower elevated view at Vu at Emirates Towers, so extra sky rather than vista is the boast you'll be taking away with you.

I'd like to cover the greeting and waiting staff first. They are very professional and welcoming and I would congratulate the venue on their front of house.

The menu is short, nothing wrong with that, so between us we had almost all the starters on offer. The waygu was an all round winner, crumbly and full of tender meaty flavour. The crab cakes combining all the elements of this starter was perfect. Scallops went down well.
The only starter that garnered a mix of negativity and some amazement was the lobster roll, which was served in a roll that tasted perfectly of vanilla eclair bread base. Odd.

We all had different steaks for main course, one had the trio of signature steaks.

With this we had a wide variety of supporting sides, these were very good, would have preferred them more al dente myself but it is difficult for restaurants to pitch to a table that have declared they are sharing.
If I have any umbrance it was with the potato's that were served as wedges. One came with (veal) bacon and scallions. Cheddar cheese was melted over it and a large dollop of sour cream squatted in the middle. Two things, if you are pitching as a top tier restaurant and with due respect to the religious background of the UAE, either do pork bacon or don't. Veal, beef, pigeon bacon etc in this kind of environment is crass. Secondly the potato itself appeared to be a baked potato cut into six or seven fanned wedges. Not attractive.
All the other supporting dishes were very good, broccoli gratin in particular was divine.

My overall rating is a reflection of the steaks. The meat was good, cooked as ordered, something sadly difficult to achieve in the UAE. Every steak was tepid at best, nigh on cold to many. Additionally every meal was served on cold plates.
As this is a steakhouse this is an unforgivable act on the part of the kitchen. To get so many things right and for the kitchen to let the venue down in this manner is extremely disappointing.
Our waiter offered to have the steaks heated, but as heating is cooking the good work is getting each steak cooked as requested is obliterated. In the meantime it would see the potatoes and vegetables begin to chill.
The only solution was to recognise the error and recook all the main courses. This wasn't offered. No chef appeared to talk to us, a mortified waiter left to carry the can for something that wasn't his fault.

We skipped dessert's, our mouth's slightly numbed by the faux steak tartare in our mouths.

The environment has been criticised by some as an atmospheric vacuum. This is unfair. It has a sedate 70's touch, a sense of privacy for each table set off against the civilised hum of your neighbouring diners.

Would I go back. I don't know. This is a steakhouse. It must stand alongside such local masters in trade as the Rodeo Grill at the Al Bustan or Asado's at The Palace.
Billed at nearly AED600 a head our experience was very poor value.
For the record we fed back in detail to our waiter our feelings, these reflected in this review.
Today the tallest hotel in the world is just that, it's either a work in progress or a minnow compared to the two venue's I mention above. A pity, there is room.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Really disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Several things detract from the success of this restaurant and most of the issues stem from the cuisine. The menu itself takes some deciphering and since I wanted a steak in a steakhouse I thought I would have some choice. I did have some a 6 oz fillet ( not my preferred cut) otherwise I would have to go to 14 or 16 oz.if I wanted a ribeye. I can't eat this much but was told to order the 16 with someone else and cut it in half....really? Do they not have a steak for smaller eaters as does every other steakhouse in Dubai? I had lamb and it arrived well done. I sent it back and grew tired of waiting for a replacement so didn't eat. 4 people on the table had similar issues which were not handled well by the MD. I have little confidence in the chef, the concept even though it is just a steak when you pay the price you expect them to be able to deliver.Sadly not. Not a patch on other establishments in Dubai and certainly the best steaks are to be found in the JW Marriot in old dubai which has never sent a bad 8 oz steak to my table.I am sure I won't be going back until there is a shake up in the kitchen. Wait staff were friendly .

• 3 of 5 bubbles