“Want to try the "other" Asian cuisine?”
Review of Lamesa Restaurant

Lamesa Restaurant
Ranked #1,167 of 9,524 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Asian, Mexican, Filipino
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dubai
“Want to try the "other" Asian cuisine?”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

When people think "Asian cuisine" they usually mean Chinese, Thai, Japanese or even Vietnamese food. Hardly anyone has heard of Filipino Cuisine, which is a varied mix of Chinese, Malay, with a bit of Spanish thrown in. It is hearty fare, sometimes heavy on the grease (fry ups are common fare and so is the use of pork and offal).

In Dubai, most Filipino restaurants are the small corner shop kind. Until Lamesa came to town.

Tucked in the 5th floor of Asiana Hotel is Lamesa Restaurant, a better dressed version of the Filipino restaurant and a very good way to get acquainted with this lovely country's cuisine. They serve daily dinner buffet for 89dhs (food only) or 105dhs (food and soft beverages). While it touts itself as Asian buffet, it is predominantly Filipino. It scores well on traditional dishes like deep fried pork hocks and pork belly... Both melt in your mouth gut busters. Also present was karekare, a turmeric rich peanutty stew of ox tail, tripe and vegetables served with fermented shrimp sauce and pork sisig (a rich glob of diced fatty pork, liver, and onions/chilli). All hail to uric acid goodness!

It failed to deliver on dishes from its Asian neighbors: the chicken and shrimp siew mai was dry (to my horror it came out of a plastic bag that the cook simply dumped onto the steamer trays), the pad thai felt like a weird cross between pad thai and char kway teow, the bulgogi was nearly tasteless (ironic for a Korean owned hotel) and the desserts were typical hotel fare.

Reservation is always tricky since they're always "fully booked but if you want you can come in and we'll put you on the waiting list". I was lucky to have a sympathetic Chinese staff give me a table "but you have to finish in one hour" because they had an 8pm reservation. I came in at half past six. They simply do not know how to turn tables... Either that or their typical diners stay for hours.

Unless you want to be served sugar overload Instant "iced tea" (which I personally find horrible), stay away from the iced tea. I only had it because the waiter assured me they made the tea from scratch.

There's a lot more to be desired from the servers, which I find ironic since Filipinos are usually prized for their hospitality and friendliness. Not that I found anyone surly or rude. Many of them were aloof and inattentive.

Visited May 2013

• Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good filipino food style and excellent price”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Huge variety of typical filipino food buffet style, particularly cold dishes and dimsum. Many packages at disposal, alcohol or not. Bit of lack in desserts... Anyhow, great money per value!

• Visited April 2013
“best buffet for lunch”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Me and my friends had lunch March 11 coz it was our off day and came back for another Monday lunch on March18. I came from the late shift the previous day so waking up early by 11am just to catch lunch at Lamesa was an ordeal to me. But I guess I would say the waking up was all worth it. Nice and cozy ambiance of the restaurant and a Monday wasn't that crowded. Buffet items are amazingly good and there were lots of variety as well. I enjoyed the macaroni salad, I would say one my most favorites from the buffet. But I just hope they do it fresh everytime coz the second time was abit soggy. I love sushi soo I hope they will expand more the Japenese section of the buffet. Perhaps some smoked salmon as well. The ice tea I had was really good and refreshing. Some of the staff needs to be more proactive and friendly towards guest. I feel like if the guest is their compatriot (or Kabayan/Filipino) they don't care that much. Even the manager (the one in the black suit) didnt even care and asked us from our table hows everything. I even greeted him first and said HI! Im no attention seeker but we kind of feel unwelcomed. But we will come back for the food and value for money.

2 Thank Mar2k3
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“"A Sumptuous Buffet"”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Buffet selections were really good! From starters to main courses to desserts, all were delicious! They even have an "eat and drink all alcoholic drinks" at a very reasonable price. We really enjoyed dinning in this restaurant and We'll surely come back for more.

1 Thank Bryan M
“Excellent weekend brunch”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My friends and I came here for Saturday brunch from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. The atmosphere is only slightly formal without being intimidating, think smart casual. Staff are friendly and accommodating.

We were not disappointed at all. There was a wide selection of salads/starters, main dishes and desserts. The food here is mostly Filipino with a selection of other Asian dishes. Pork is also available (which is rare in a Dubai restaurant). I found the dishes well-cooked and tasty. Drinks (water, juices, tea and coffee) are included, making this brunch an excellent value at less than AED 100. If you are a Filipino in the UAE, you will love this gem of a restaurant!