“Stunning top floor view, immaculate food”
Review of Tomo

Tomo
Ranked #48 of 9,756 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Authentic Japanese Restaurant - Promoting the Magic of Japanese Food & Culture in the Middle East
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My wife and I were staying at Raffles and decided to eat in the top floor Sushi restaurant.

We were pleasantly welcomed and offered a table inside or out (we had no booking). We sat outside and were treated to a beautiful night time view of the Dubai skyline, stars overhead and flocks of returning seagulls wheeling in the lamplight.

The service was friendly and showed good attention to detail, but the waitress was a little nervous. Other than that, we had delicious Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and very tasty and nicely presented sashimi and maki rolls. The sushi cuts were very high quality and buttery in texture.

A great night to start our holiday. It's pricey, of course, but we thought it was worth every penny.

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your great review and we wish all happy guests will take a minute like yourself and write about their experience at TOMO. We also value your comment about the waitress who seemed nervous, it is not easy to memorize 400+ items of different Japanese food and beverage items on the menu with all their descriptions. We all look forward to welcome you and your guests to TOMO on your next visit to Dubai.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We went a couple of weeks back, as we had good memories, but this was sadly turned around.

When we entered the hotel, we had to wait for the car to be parked (understandable that it can be busy).. however after proceeding to the reception to ask the directions to Tomo, not only did we have to call for attention but it seemed we were disturbing the receptionists from their probably very interesting screen...

We entered then Tomo, where we were visiting an art exhibition, and the two hostesses were talking to eachother, no attention paid, and again ask for attention.. after they looked as if bothered, they discussed with eachother who would escort..

The exhibition was beautiful, but again we had to look for the waitress, then follow up again twice for our drinks. A couple of vegetarian sushi options were alright but the tuna was tasteless which was unfortunate. During the evening the follow ups were constant.

We finally left, unimpressed, to find a very tall doorman who was too busy talking with his colleagues to attend the queue... that was the last drop.

We would expect more from a visit to Tomo with(out) Raffles standards..

Chef-Takahashi, Manager at Tomo, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, our apologies that we did not meet your expectations.
We have investigated your comments with the team and we called the organizers of the art exhibition to find out more but they were very surprised to hear about your comments. They have assured us that they asked each one who was invited and attended the exhibition, and all confirmed they were overwhelmed with the set up, the food, and the flowing of drinks. They also confirmed that at a certain time they had to ask the waiters and bar to stop the service of drinks because it was getting too much and too late. As for the Tuna, we can assure you we only buy the best available quality "Worldwide". We would really appreciate if you return to TOMO and we will make sure you leave with the best image and perception.
The Management

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Prior to type my review, I did have a look at previous one...and to my surprise the issue of temperature with the Edamame happened to us too tonight....they came also lukewarm.Beside this minor issue, our overall was good until we had to wait for our stir fried eggplant and pork belly. We asked our waitress for our dish. She went and check with the kitchen....apparently forgot our item. We had to wait to get it as we were done with our dishes.
As we paid for the check and left the restaurant...no word on our experience, no apologies about our service...
A simple word would have been enough as we were leaving....but I guess it's not important, like it's not important to ask why 2 guests are saying the same thing in a matter of a month....

Dear Liance,
My sincere apologies for not being able to deal with your problem on spot. The Floor Managers are usually present and empowered to deal with all situations. I would like to confirm to you and other guests that the issue with Edamame not being hot enough is now been fixed. I really appreciate if you come back to TOMO and give us another chance to show you and your guests the best image of Japan. Kindly accept our apologies and ask for me on your next visit.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Everything is good about this restaurant, I am a frequent visitor, it serves authentic Japanese food , not commercial . The ONLY thing I hate in Tomo is that the last order is on 10:30PM , which is very early compared to other restaurants in Dubai !

Dear Mr. Al Suwaidi,
You great review gives us a lot of support and motivation. We also thank you for your comment to open later on in the evening. For the time being, our last order is at 10:45 and the kitchen closes at 11:30. Unfortunately, we are not able to open later because the team needs to have enough rest. Kindly advise me if you need me to stay longer for one of your future dinners and I will be happy to do so. We all look forward to welcome you and your guests at TOMO.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Tomo is great for any occassion: business, date, out with friends.
The atmosphere is great, lovely views of Dubai and the music is soft enough so you can actually understand each other well.

The Japanese food is great, very fresh, nicely presented and it tastes great. I really love their cocktails: try the mango chilli one, for sweet with a bite.
I have tried their shabu shabu which is nice enough, although I do find it quite pricey. I did find it slightly lacking in taste but that might be because I was expecting it to be like the chinese hotpots that have a lot more spices in it.
I would rather recommend taking the sashimi and their lovely grilled wagyu beef. Much tastier!

One attention point if you are a lady: bring a scarf as it can be a bit chilly (especially on the smoking tables) although they do have nice pashminas as well.

If you are sitting on one of the traditional japanese tables, it might also be handy to wear some shoes you can take off easily, since you are not supposed to wear your shoes there. (Gents: no holes in your socks please)

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your valuable comments and for your nice review. You are right that sometimes sitting on our Tatami tables can be challenging due to our Japanese traditions.
Regarding your Shabu Shabu, please ask for me on your next visit and I will be pleased to prepare one for you that you will enjoy and more suitable to your palette.
Also the weather currently is great for outdoor dining, we have extra Pashminas (and also extra socks) to deal with any situation.
Look forward to welcome you again at TOMO.