“Great restaurant,challenging logistics”

RARE
Ranked #984 of 9,624 Restaurants in Dubai
Cuisines: European, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Oak Wood Fire Grill. Carefully selected ingredients, passionately prepared and matched to produce flavorful and elegantly presented dishes. Emphasis is placed on classic dishes with some modern twists as well as introducing some uncommon and interesting ingredients for guests to experience. Whether dining indoors or on the terrace, savor the view of the lush polo field and Dubai skyline beyond. Vintage Brunch is served on Fridays and Saturday's Two Chill Brunch is served on Saturdays.
London, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant,challenging logistics”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a fabulous meal at Rare. The steaks were very good indeed, and the appetisers also very good. Serving staff were extremely helpful and the overall ambience was enjoyable. We were able to find some reasonably priced, and good, Sicilian red wine to go with the food. However this was the third attempt as other wine selections were "out of stock".
Desert Palm is a short drive from "downtown" Dubai - about 20mins. We had no difficulty getting there. However, getting back was a different issue. We asked the hotel to arrange a taxi whilst we had a night-cap, but this failed to appear even after the second drink. Eventually the hotel was embarrassed into providing its transport to bring us back to town where we arrived about two hours after finishing dinner. Clearly this won't be an issue if you are a hotel resident.

• Visited January 2013

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“We're repeat customers for a reason!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

For some reason the hotel reception failed to answer the phone for about half an hour, but when they did pick up all was well. The chap who took the reservation asked me if we were celebrating anything in particular, and it happened to be our 6th wedding anniversary.

We were met by a smiling member of staff and taken to our outside table, where a drinks order was taken promptly and delivered promptly. The menus arrived quickly too, with book lights attached so we could read them in the dim light. My wife was handed a menu without prices, which is always a nice touch.

After an amuse bouche, I started with foie gras, which turned out to be three different presentations, one of which was foie gras ice cream! It was decidedly unusual but an interesting experience. The portion size was spot on, not quite enough to overpower me given the richness. My wife's lobster bisque was excellent too.

Passionfruit sorbet was provided as a palate cleanser, with champagne dribbled on top and garnished with a crystallised rose petal. I would actually have preferred it without the champagne, which rather overpowered what was very nice sorbet, and my wife agreed.

For our main course, my wife had braised veal cheek and I had an Angus ribeye. They also offer Wagyu beef which is obviously expensive though better value than I've seen elsewhere in Dubai. I find that good quality beef, especially ribeye, is marbled enough to make Wagyu little more than an affectation, and often quite a blandly flavoured one. My wife said the veal was braised to perfection. My ribeye was flavoursome, cooked perfectly and very tender. My only criticism is that the sides (which are charged for) are small. I had pomme au gratin and could have handled double the amount provided, and baby carrots.

My wine choice was a Chateauneuf-du-Pape which was excellent, and not obscenely expensive (though I did ask my wife that she be happy with just the one bottle!). It paired well with our main courses.

Pretty much every restaurant in Dubai with outdoor seating at ground level (which in this case overlooks a polo field) will have a restaurant cat, and Rare is no exception. The staff try to keep them away, I might add, but there are all always customers offering the cats a reason to stay. Yup, we're guilty... She was a very pleasant cat (and looked pregnant, so if you want a kitten you know where to go) and sat quietly by our table for half an hour or so, somewhat encouraged by the small bits of steak fat and veal cheek which somehow ended up on a sideplate on the ground...

We were about to ask for a desert menu when a cake turned up! It was a chocolate mouse cake in the shape of a heart, with "Happy Anniversary" piped on top. It would easily have fed a table of 6, so we made an effort but took most of it home. It was the one thing almost certainly not from Rare's kitchen, but still very tasty and a very nice touch.

When the bill arrived, it was missing the wine. I was honest enough to say so (I want to go back!) and it was corrected in less than two minutes. Service was friendly and professional throughout. Purists may pick holes in the service if they insist on every plate being delivered on the left and cleared on the right, but I found the balance of excellent food served with warmth to be just right.

We had previously thought that La Parrilla was the best steak restaurant in Dubai on the basis of one visit, but on the return visit it was merely competent and we felt let down. Our first visit to Rare didn't have the same wow factor, but it has consistently impressed over three visits. I highly recommend it, and we will be back.

• Visited November 2012