“Elegant And Luxurious.”

Ranked #18 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
“Elegant And Luxurious.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I arranged a mini weekend break away in Dubai and this time chose the new JW Marriott Marquis for two overnights.

I made our reservation by phone and almost immediately received confirmation of my booking via email. All special requests were noted. Standard check-in time is 3pm and check- out time is noon.

Upon arrival at the hotel my luggage was handled by concierge after giving my name and my car parked by valet service.

Reception was busy, by this time it was around 2pm in the afternoon, however the wait was only about 5 minutes. Suzanne (from Holland), the young lady who checked me in was delightful and could not have been more helpful. I was unaware of the Executive Package; for a supplement of AED 450++ per room per day you can have access to the entire 37th Floor in Tower A where the Executive Lounge is open 24 hours a day with all day refreshments. Plus daily selections of food prepared by a variety of restaurants within the hotel. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is staying more than one overnight or is not planning on eating out.

Also, if you have the Executive Package, you will be allocated a room on the higher floors above the 37th Floor.

Frank was the friendly gentleman who accompanied me with my luggage to the 61st Floor overlooking the Arabian Gulf. Unfortunately, the weather was very foggy so unable to see the Burj Al Arab in the distance. Nonetheless it's a wonderful view from that height.

Afternoon Tea is served on the 37th Floor from 2:30pm until 5:30pm. The brand of tea is Tchaba…which is my personal favourite and the one I drink at home. Teapots are available for any tea Jennys!! The juices are all Barakat fresh bottled natural juices. The bottled water is Tau (still and sparkling) a British brand of mineral water, taking its name from an ancient Welsh word for "to be silent."

The Simonelli bean to cup coffee machines offer every kind of coffee imaginable at the touch of a button. Easy to use and fresh tasting coffee. It's all very well laid out and uncluttered for guests to see what's available and be able to serve themselves to as little or as much as required.

The accommodation is spacious. The king size bed was very comfortable. I did have difficulty figuring out how to keep a small light on in the bathroom for the middle of the night trip. It was all or nothing as far as I could tell. The master control by the bedside was useful. No need for adaptors thanks to the multi-functional electrical outlet panel discretely hidden in the desk/dressing table.

The windows on the outside were in bad need of cleaning, both in our room and elsewhere. The door leading out onto the patios is permanently locked. Unfortunately, there have been incidents where people have jumped off the buildings in Dubai.

I did have to ask for more coat hangers to save doubling up my clothes. Also another box of kleenex in the actual bedroom would have been handy. There is one in the bathroom.

Loved all the bathroom amenities by 'Aromatherapy Associates'. The monsoon shower and controls were appreciated. Plenty of towels, although no facecloths provided on day 2.

Would have liked a door on the toilet/bidet area, as the only way to have privacy is to close the main door to the bathroom. I do like double sinks in a bathroom as it makes for easy preparations when getting ready to go out for the evening or breakfast in the morning. It's Murphy's Law were both going to head to the bathroom to get ready at the same time!!!

My husband joined me when he had finished work and we headed to the Executive Lounge for Happy Hour (6:30pm to 9pm!). The selection on offer is more than adequate for most people I would think! Red Wine, White Wine, Beer, Prosecco, spirits and mixers.

The elevators work only by passing your room card over the reader/scanner inside. Some elevators will only go as far as the 36th Floor…so be aware of that if you are higher up.

Breakfast is served in the Executive Lounge 6a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Friday, Saturday and public holidays. The selection is fabulous with a made to order omelette station. There is no hurry to eat and leave…take as long as you want to, use the wi-fi internet or enjoy the view.

On our first morning I checked to see if a newspaper had been delivered to our room…still old school for us!! I called guest services and asked for 'The National'. However, it was not available in the hotel and instead received the Khaleej Times…which was OK :(

John at the front of the Hotel was always there when I went to collect my car from valet parking. What a cheery fellow. The front entrance to the Hotel is a hotbed of activity…but in a controlled way.

We didn't get a chance to use the pool, gym or spa this time…nor explore the very top floors Prime 68 or Vault on the 71st & 72nd Floor.

For a couple of overnights or to celebrate a special occasion, I would highly recommend the JW Marriott Marquis. The location was perfect for some appointments we had booked. It is most definitely a business hotel (simply look at the guests when you arrive). If it's a leisure vacation you are looking for…this may not be the most relaxing environment. Head for one of the many beach hotels in Dubai instead.

Tower B is as yet still not 100% open on all floors. I was told they are up to Floor 36 at the moment and it should be completed by November.

The hotel is frequently used by dignitaries and politicians. Sheik Mohammed Al Maktoum is the owner of the hotel. Bill Clinton was to be visiting Sheik Mohammed there the following day.

I hope we manage to return to the JW Marriott again soon. It is very comfortable and they do make you feel very special. Thank you to all the wonderful staff who made it all happen for us.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Gulf are preferable…at least until all the construction has finished in the im...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QueenofCarlisle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,450)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Be very careful of the slippery wooden floors in the vicinity of the ground floor reception . Small wooden boards in between tiled areas. I slipped over, was helped up by staff, only to slip again.......need to do something about this! Lovely hotel though!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
DXBJW, Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments have been passed on to the relevent departments and are being reviewed and actioned.

We are happy that you thought our hotel was lovely and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards
Tanya Gildea
Executive Assistant to the GM,
JW Marriott Marquis Hotel
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Had stayed here in Jan '14 for 3 nights. The hotel is quite modern with huge rooms.
The bed is quite comfortable and the rooms (sea facing) have a great view.
The restaurants are however a great draw.
The steakhouse Prime at 68 is a fantastic place with great selection of wines and fabulous steaks.
The Thai restaurant also has authentic Thai food and I really liked its ambiance.
The hotel is a typical BIG FORMAT American hotel and has all the amenities as expected from a JW.
The location however is slightly off the mark as reaching the hotel from the main Sheikh Zayed Road can be quite an affair.

Room Tip: Go in for the sea view rooms!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

This hotel, which currently has the distinction of being the World's Tallest Hotel, is spectacular! Everything was excellent - from check in to check out. The service was professional, gracious and prompt. The room was spacious, elegant and comfortable. The Executive Lounge was undoubtedly the best I've seen. It is open 24 hours a day with a nice assortment of food and refreshments available much of this time. It occupies the entire 37th floor, so there is plenty of room without feeling cramped. At breakfast time, there is an omelet station in the lounge - now that was a first! The location is good with complimentary shuttles provided to the malls, and the Tramway is right down the street. A very enjoyable stay and I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Miami, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

They have 5 or 6 valet guys standing in front of the hotel so you expect top notch service but they brought by brand new car with a scratch on the side edge of the door. I always park my car away from other cars and I walk as long as it takes me to avoid such things from happening. The scratch was not a big one and for them I'm sure they thought"who cares it's a small scratch on the edge of the door and he won't notice". The problem is that, you have to slam the edge of the front door against a wall in order for such scratch to happen and for the paint to be removed the way it happened. So for me, that suggests that whoever was parking my was so careless opening the door when I was not around. The scratch was small but very obvious and I didn't want to make a big fuss about. But it made me really angry and I wanted to complain but I had to rush to a business meeting so I decided to go.
Check in was a bit long because they had a trainee doing my check in"Miss Suzzane" who was very nice and courteous.
My company reserved 3 nights and I only checked in on the 3rd night at around 1:30 PM. Miss Suzzane wanted me to wait till 3 PM check in time. My room was pre-booked and paid for,for all 3 nights. A gentlemen overheard me telling her that she should check me in for the day before if that's the only way to get me in now and he immediately took over, fixed the issue and I was able to go to my room. Breakfast was excellent with plenty to choose from. The hotel was very nice and I would've had a good stay if it wasn't the incidence at the valet which I felt that ruined my stay and if I have a choice I won't stay again at this JW Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RicktoTangier
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. we were happy to note that your check in experience was resolved and that you commented on our excellent breakfast and the amount of choice.

We would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly about you car and kindly request that you contact us directly on mhrs.dxbjw.exec.asst.gm@marriotthotels.com.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Tanya Gildea
Executive Assistant to the GM,
JW Marriott Marquis Hotel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Just 4 words

Best remains the best

My first and last choice for stay in dubai always !!! Very impressive place... Location is a bit let down, but over all great property fro. Food to rooms 5/5

IN-room service is a bit slow but food choice and quality makes up for it

Stayed March 2014
norwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

The JW is a great spot for a 2 day max stopover in Dubai or a business trip. Since it is downtown and the rooms are really very comfy you will enjoy everything exciting nearby without much of a hassle to travel. The pool is super chic and new as well as the decor in the rooms. It is not the Armani though. The JW may not be very suitable if you want to try it for a longer family vacation setup. Then you definitely should consider a beachfront location like Jumeirah or the One &Only.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business