“Exciting hotel but poor service”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #18 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Kuwait, Al Kuwayt, Kuwait
“Exciting hotel but poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed 5 days at JW Marriott Marquis and just checked out 2 days ago. The deal online is what attracted me to book here and I like trying out the new hotels that open up in Dubai. The hotel is impressive, modern, and super cool really. I stayed in an executive room but they didn't have a king bed available so I had twin beds which was fine since the room is quite big. The bathroom is as big as the room which I loved! The view is breath-taking from the 54th floor. The check-in for me started slow as I was in the lobby for a while then told I had to check-in from the 37th floor. I waited 10 minutes as the lady at the lounge was busy with another guest and when I said I will go down again and just check-in the bellboy called someone else. Alan came and checked me in and I appreciated his service. When I got to my room I called concierge as I needed to rent a car. I'm sorry to say the concierge at JW Marriott was the worse concierge I have ever tried in any hotel. I asked for several cars, an hour later a call with one car being asked about. Then I am told we will check on the other cars now...and I get no call back. Two days later I call to request a taxi Lexus car and Peter from concierge tells me to come down then request the car. I tell him since it is a car service that serves the hotel you could just get one for me let me know it will be down when it can be down and call me back. He says yes I can do that...and no call back once again!! The lexus taxi service is HORRIBLE. They are completely ripping off the guests and I found it so unacceptable that when I checked out to go to the airport I returned to the hotel and made an official complaint. The lexus taxi service has a meter charge that he should use to charge the customer (believe me I use them in many other hotels such as Raffles) and has no right to give you whatever price he comes up with. The turning point was when I agreed on a price he asks which terminal I am going then tells me no I will go by meter..and you will pay for salik! If JW Marriott Marquis can fix this issue by not letting drivers who rip off customers serve them, and a better concierge then I would have given the hotel a 5. One more issue...I asked my room to be cleaned by one of the cleaners who came and asked me what time and it didn't get cleaned..maybe he forgot but thats a minor issue. I will go back to the positives now. The breakfast is amazing at the Marriott. The variety is really great, and Alan actually included free breakfast into my stay.
I wish they wouldn't change timings weekdays and weekends though...10:30 is when it closes weekdays which sucks. The spa i only went to for an urgent 30 min massage which was great. The lady was from Tunisia, forgot her name but if you get her service you will be lucky. The sports bar Velocity is amazing. This is where you want to watch your sports! The screens are big, the couches are comfortable and the food is delicious. I went to Vault as well on the 70th floor to see the view...but I wasn't as impressed it was a bit too dark for me. The shuttle service from the hotel to Dubai Mall is really wonderful and convenient, but the stop should be closer and not where Address Downtown is. I will be coming back to JW Marriott...I must say I did ask to talk to a manager...and she (Ms. Fiona) was never reachable. The duty manager said she will be writing a report about the car service and we will see the next time i visit if the service issues are improved. I almost forgot to mention...Marriott are famous for their beds..and yes the beds are really comfortable you never want to leave it. Oh! and the other great thing, they have all Jazeera sports channels so football fans can watch games in their rooms. Overall I am glad I chose this hotel and expected some minor problems occurring due to it being a new hotel so I can't wait to come check it out again.

Room Tip: My executive room was actually cheaper than a standard room so do look for deals online.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MWQ_11
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for detailed description of our services and facilities. We appreciate your constructive feedback and we are delighted to hear that you were impressed with so many different aspects of our hotel. The situation you have experienced with our Concierge and the Lexus car service does certainly not reflect the level of service that we strive to provide to our guests and we apologize that we were unable to remedy that whilst you were still in the hotel. We hope to improve on the flaws outlined in your review and look forward to welcome you again on your next trip to Dubai.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my 3 week stay here. The hotel staff were excellent and very detailed oriented. My suite was probably the best I've ever stayed at.. Very luxurious and stylish.

My only disappointment would be the elevator situation of this hotel. It's known to be the tallest hotel in the world but is only served by 3 elevators serving 70 some thorn floors. Be prepared to wait for the elevator for about 5-7 minutes. I wonder why this crucial aspect was missed out on during construction.

I would still recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Dubai for both business or leisure. 4.5/5!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your constructive feedback. We are pleased to know that you had an overall pleasant stay and that we have met your expectations on daily basis over such a long period of time. On behalf of our team, we are looking forward to welcome you again soon to the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.
Italian Riviera, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The The J W Marriott marquis is just a class apart. The service is faultless and the staff genuinely eager to please. Highly recommended. Their Room Service & restaurants also good. I Recommend this hotel because of only service. I would like to mention one incidence,I was not feeling well my throat is paining.i ordered food from room service. room service boy ( amit ) came with my order while talking to him he come to know my throat is paining. he told me, he will come back in few minutes with some drinks & this drink will help you. he came with one drink and drink was very good for my throat even i feel good after that drink.God bless you amit & thank you for your service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Barbara10000
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
We are very proud of our team and we are so happy to know that you were able to experience such personalized service from our In room dining colleague Amit. We at the JW Marriott Marquis always strive to please and we will ensure to share your experience with our management team so that Amit can be recognized for his efforts. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

- Spacious suite
- Modern and technology to control the room by touch remote
- Large bathroom
- Delicious in room dining in

Dislike
- Room ambiance and color not refreshing
- Elevator slow and takes time
- Not clean windows
- Too Hight bed
- A little expensive
- Breakfast is ordinary

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank mustantm
We appreciate your candid review about our services and facilities. On a future visit we invite you to contact us in advance in order to reserve a suite on a lower level to easier navigate through our high rise building. We are glad you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a HUGE hotel & actually the tallest hotel in the UAE with 800 rooms and with a second tower to be build But as in true Dubai fashion there are lots of staff to address you on arrival & in check in. The experience is definitely first class for this business hotel.

I stayed a night in transit & arrived early to enjoy the property. The pool area is amazing for the views & drinks. I had dinner in the sports bar and the burger was exactly what I wanted after a time in the Middle East. The DJ played some great music while the ladies enjoyed free drinks on the Thursday Promotion.

In the morning, I had the gala breakfast buffet. It had everything. Of course all very fresh & a big variety of Chinese/Japenese, Local and North American. I had a bit of everything. Again in spite of the size I had a nice table with great coffee services.

Do check out the gift shops on the second floor. With too much time on my hand, I bought a major dining room lamp that the shop keep packaged up in record time for the long trip back to Canada. Check out the GREAT deals at the little shop. (TurQuoise – Turkish Ceramic and Tiles) You will be surprised at the great gifts & prices. Tell Ferhat the Canadian sent you.

The rooms are amazing as would be expected ! Way too many details to list.
The only downside is there is nothing to visit in the area but you can take a taxi to a small local shopping centre

A taxi to from the airport (adds 25 AED) is about 75 AED and takes about 30 minutes. It is a similar time from the hotel but less the 25 AED airport fee. Be careful of early flights as there is a lot of traffic on Sheikh Zayed Road especially if there is an accident.

Any questions, drop me a note
Safe Travels Mike

Room Tip: The King Bed was very comphy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike N
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this tremendous review. Your feedback will guide many of our future guests to explore all the facilities that the hotel has to offer. We are pleased that you had such an amazing time during your stay with us and we really look forward to welcome you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

After arriving in Dubai at 1.30am, this hotel was welcomed for it's 24 hour check-in option. After initially being told our booking was for 3pm on the date of arrival and we would have to wait till at least 6am when a room may become available, I mentioned that our booking was supposed to be 24 hour check-in. A quick check confirmed this and it was smooth sailing from there. Excellent service from the desk to the porter and a quick orientation of the room. A quick note here : don't even touch anything in the minibar as everything has a sensor and you will be charged, even if you don't open it! Our friends were told this during the tour of their room an hour earlier but we weren't. Luckily they were with us at 3am! The room was huge and the bathroom was very nice with the best shower I've seen. Breakfast was included in our package and was very good. There was something for everyone but you have to make sure to check all of the buffets as they are spread out and you need to go around the corner into the next section to find some things.

The free shuttle to Dubai Mall was very handy and ran every 20 mins. The train station is about a 10 min walk but the taxis are so cheap, we didn't bother.

All in all you would have to be pretty fussy indead to find fault at this hotel. Will definitely stay here next time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
It is a pleasure to read such a detailed review of our hotel and we are so happy that we were able to meet all of your expectations. Our guests are constantly impressed by our facilities and by the variety of our buffet in kitchen6 and we are glad you have enjoyed it so much. We look forward to welcome you again on your next trip to the city.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Happened to stay here the day the hotel opened in November 2012.
It was incredible ! Great service and an Absolutely amazing experience (probably given that it was the first day and we were amongst the first to check in).
Nonetheless, it's a classy hotel with great rooms as very modern and up-to-date.

Loved it !

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your delightful review. It's has almost been one year since the opening of our hotel and we cannot wait for the opportunity to welcome you back and introduce you not only to all the amazing outlets that have opened since your last visit, but also our state of art Saray Spa.