“All style and no substance”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #18 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Handforth, United Kingdom
“All style and no substance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Due to limited time I can only list the problems that I was surprised to find with this hotel, given its, apparent, calibre.

Arrival:
Lobby is vast with no immediate seating to wait for colleagues. So people just wander about like cattle. No music to evoke a sense of atmosphere makes the place seem cold and rather unfriendly. All style, no substance!!
Beautiful flower displays though.

Check-in:
Unfriendly member of staff that couldn't even muster up some eye-contact or a smile. Not a nice welcome. I know you do it day in day out but try a little harder!
Well turned out though but simply another case of all style, no substance!!

General:
The lifts take an absolute age!!! They seem to randomly ping all around you and arrows light up then go out randomly. while the lift behind you silently opens, shuts then moves on! I couldn't identify a pattern. Make sure you give time to move about the hotel.
Why build the tallest hotel in the world if it doesn't work!! Don't just do it for doing its sake!! All style, no substance!!

Room:
Plastic bath. All style, no substance!!
Limited beverages in-room
Very annoying and difficult to use control system for lights / a.c. etc... All style, no substance!!
Bright light emitted from the a.c. unit which is right next to the bed and interferes with sleep.
T.V resets to main hotel home page so you have to click through several screens to get it to give you a new channel
Time given for inserting your card to activate the electricity in the room is about 5 seconds so when dashing in to grab something you are left in complete darkness very quickly

Business facilities:
Events support staff in their nice unifrms did their best but did not seem to be particularly skilled. All style, no substance!!
We had particular problems with the av projection and they were unable to troubleshoot to improve the situation. Very unexpected for a hotel from a chain of such reputation in Dubai!

Food and drink:
No signage to say where the restaurant is and which door to use.
The Arabic restaurant offered us some strange service. Our group apparently had the set meal pre-booked. But upon arrival we were left sitting with the full menu for 10 minutes and had to ask what the process was. Apparently they had only given us the full menu for us to select drinks from the back and only when we prompted provided us with the set menu which informed us what we would be eating for dinner... odd. Lots of staff milling about but they all seemed afraid to do anything.
Oh, and they spilled water over the table and onto one of my colleagues. Waiter faux pas!

Outside space:
Upon arrival I wanted to know if I could go for an early morning swim. Although the in-room information says the pool is open 24 hours this is not in fact the case. However that took some finding out as guest services didn't seem sure either. After a confusing phone call I was eventually told the pool opens at 9AM which is pretty useless for those of us staying on a business trip. Why not 24 hours??
I did manage to get to the pool one evening before it again closed, at 9PM. The pool is nice and the underwater music is a nice touch. Although I think when the second tower is open the space will be nowhere near sufficient for the population of the hotel at capacity. It will be a bun fight for some space to fit in the water or on the loungers.

Check-out:
I waited at a desk while a previous guest that was in the lift with me was checked out. But when I stepped up to the desk was asked to go to another as two gentlemen standing off to the side, that seemed intently busy on their separate Blackberries, were next. So I moved to the next counter along and was served, but observed the original member of staff standing doing nothing for the duration. The men were not served and neither did they seem (to me) to be waiting. Curious?
While I was checking out another guest strolled up to the deck leaning past me to ask a question and it was up to me to say no, I am being served here, the person dealing with my check-out did not have the courtesy to ask them to wait.

Concierge:
Excellent! I booked my transfer in the morning then when I went a few hours later Muhamed welcomed me by name and showed me to the car. I have to admit that by this point I was easily pleased but it did make for a nice end to what was a very below average stay!!

I have had a query since my stay that three phone calls to desk staff and three e-mails to the events co-ordinator / guest manager still has not been resolved.

Would not recommend for either business or pleasure... you will be able to predict my conclusion!
All style, no substance!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Anika S
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback. We sincerely apologize for the negative encounters you experienced with our associates. We have reviewed these service inconsistencies with the appropriate management teams to prevent them from occurring again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I love this hotel. I've formally stayed at the other JW over by the clock round-about and the Marriott apartments. This hotel has them both beat. It's extremely new...only in operation for three months. It's not far from anywhere. The hotel, as the staff likes to brag, is the tallest hotel in the world. My room was extremely comfortable. Room service was on point...always had my order before they said I would get it. The rooms are totally modern, and totally wired. There's a control in the room that controls climate, lights, whether or not you desire room service...totally tight! The bed was very nice...fell right to sleep when I got in it. There are also a good selection of English channels for news, sports, TV shows, and movies. There's a lot of construction going on in the immediate area, so if you're in a room that has 10-13 at the end of it you may see it out your window. The only downers were no airport shuttle, and wifi wasn't free...100 AED for 24 hours. Overall...great hotel!

2 Thank claurie1969
We are so pleased that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed the comfort of your room. On your next visit, we invite you to book a room on the executive floor which has complimentary internet access amongst other benefits such as breakfast and happy hour. Airport transfers can be arranged prior to you arrival with our Concierge team. We look forward to welcome you back.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was there for business purpose and I was quite disappointed. Rooms are nice but you feel like locked-in, no balcony, windows of course can't be opened in those skyscrapers hotels and very few outside areas in the whole hotel. Wifi is not free of charge, which is unbelievable in this category.Meeting rooms and coffee breaks are quite average too, nothing special again.Service is good but it is the case almost everywhere in Dubai.I would not recommend this hotel at all, nor for private nor for business trip.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Aurelie C
We are very sorry to hear that you will not be back for another visit to our hotel. Our executive rooms offer a wide range of benefits, among those is the complimentary WIFI and breakfast in the executive lounge. We invite you to contact us prior to your next visit so we discuss all your requirements prior to you stay.
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Several transport options : taxi to/from DXB is approximately AED75; hotel car quoted at AED275 (S-Class/Lexus); I used a fixed rate 5-Series/A6-level taxi from right outside DXB Terminal 1 for AED110. Travel time from the airport about half an hour. This hotel doesn't offer a free airport shuttle but the gentleman operating the Marriott booth at T1 was extremely helpful in explaining the options, offered a free bottle of water and called ahead to let the Marquis know I'd landed.
The cheapest, slowest and least sensible option (very high thirties last week) is the metro's red line from DXB T3/1 to the Business Bay metro station. The hotel's business shuttle does advertise a stop at this station, but it doesn't seem to run during the heat of the day, and apparently only once an hour at best. Business Bay station is perhaps 500 metes/yards from the hotel, sidewalks all the way, but no shade. During my stay I took that walk with only a daysack and ended up a huge sweaty mess. BL : get a cab or hire a car.
Welcomed personally at the entrance by one of the door team, bags were taken straight to my room while I checked in. For MR Gold/Plat members there's the option of completing check-in in the lounge. I took the front desk option as it wasn't too busy; given the size of the hotel it can flood with arrivals/departures, so if you are Gold/Plat head up to the 37th floor.
Check-in was despatched very quickly. Standard MR room upgrade, free wifi (otherwise heinously expensive), lounge access, free breakfast. Point to note : breakfast is free in the lounge, not in Kitchen. Made that mistake once and the hotel was good enough to erase the charge. One of many reasons I'll be storing this hotel for future use.
The room was on the 61st floor, and not far off the same size as the Junior Suite I'm in now in the Al Bustan. Pulled back the curtain across the large window and found myself looking at the Burj Khalifa. Jaded though I am I didn't tire of that. No balcony in my room, although some have them.
As to the room : large and very comfortable bed; long work desk near the window - not as many power points as I was expecting, though (British-style three pin); two comfortable chairs and a knee-height table by the window; dock by the bed; large flatscreen television with dozens of channels, including all the usual business/sport stuff. Good storage space, usual minibar and minibar prices. Decently, however, they leave space for your own drinks, or - for those with lounge access - those which find their way down from the 37th floor. The in-room safe only just handled my 13" though; larger would be a tight fit.
Internet speeds were acceptably fast. iMessage was down most of the time I was there, but this seems to be a host nation hobby, definitely not the hotel. As with the Renaissance Doha, and the Al Bustan here in Oman, more than one device can be connected simultaneously. I had laptop, tablet and phone running simultaneously with no drop-offs.
A tablet by the bed controls air conditioning, lights and do not disturb/cleaning. You can do it all manually if you wish. I found the screen occasionally temperamental (tap once to wake, again to action kind of thing) but it all worked.
The bathroom was superb, easily 2/3rds the size of the room and can be isolated with a sliding door. Sealed shower stall (rain shower and hand-held), standalone bath, separate WC and bidet - no door on that cubicle - huge mirrors, very comprehensive amenity kit. It reminded me of the Hotel Splendide in Casino Royale, albeit with someone less handsome and successful than Daniel Craig looking out of the mirror. Sadly Eva Green was also somewhere else.
The lounge covers an entire floor (37), is open 24 hours and provides soft drinks 24/7 and food at different times during the day. It's a beautiful space with stunning views of the Burj, the Bay and out to sea. The space is subdivided into mini-lounges, some set for formal dining, others with recliners and couches. Terminals and a printer near the elevators and a small, fully enclosed meeting room. Breakfast is fruit, pastries, cheeses, cold cuts, local dishes and European/ American hot staples, absent the pork/bacon, plus all the non-alcoholic drink options you'd expect. Once that's finished there's a lull before service is resumed. Highlights were the bread squares covered in egg, quail's egg and caviar, and the lobster variety, both of which disappeared almost as soon as they could be served. I admit to playing an indecent part in that. If you're working late the lounge offers only a few pieces of fruit and cereal bars through the night hours, but the refrigerators remain open and the coffee machine still works. I didn't have recourse to room service but the prices didn't look obscenely ridiculous.
The hotel's facilities make it a suburb in its own right. 10 restaurants and bars, a nightclub on 71/72 (smokers allowed; didn't stay long); pool; excellent 24-hour gym overlooking one end of the lake, with all the spa/massage gubbins people seem to expect nowadays; barber/stylist; ballroom; WH Smith concession selling novels, magazines, soft drinks, snacks and knick-knacks (there's a Spinney's one street over if you insist on saving cents on M&Ms), and of all things, a tailoring concession which promises a suit in two days, starting from AED 1750 if memory serves.
As to the restaurants, I tried Kitchen for breakfast; Izakaya, Velocity sports bar and the steakhouse for dinner.
- Kitchen offers Asian/Arab/Western breakfasts, omelette station, pastries, all of it excellent, but everyone comes here so it gets busy. Good luck finding your table after your first trip up to the counters. AED 140-ish.
Izakaya ran me AED217 for one soft drink, starter and teppanyaki (chicken, noodles, rice with wagyu beef). The starter alone was AED 80, though, and I found the main filling. Can't fault it for food, ambience or service, despite the numbers eating there. The waiting staff were as Japanese as I am, very cheerful and efficient despite the costumes and always on hand without hovering at your shoulder. My pick of the four I tried, by some margin.
Prime 68 was a little less impressive. AED 300 for a good sirloin and fries and one soft drink. The service was formal and a little distant - by design, no doubt - and the loud expat birthday party in the private area seemed to be dominating their time. Superb views though.
Velocity is on the ground floor at the back of the hotel and was dead the night I was there. A wild guess would suggest that previous patrons had been blinded by the decor and couldn't find their way back. Service was fine, though; chatty staff. Nachos, a mediocre burger and fries, two soft drinks, AED 138.
The immediate surroundings are quiet and safe. There's a public park across the motorway with some shade trees. During the day the hotel runs free, separate shuttles around the business district; to its contracted beach (I believe beach access is chargeable) and to the Dubai Mall until ten or so at night. The latter takes only a few minutes and places you within walking distance of the mall entrance, the Dubai Fountain and the Burj Khalifa. If you miss the last bus back you can walk it in 25-30 minutes if you insist (although it isn't much cooler at night) or a taxi from the Mall entrance to the hotel was AED 10 dead and took about five minutes. Be sure to get on the right shuttle as they tend to arrive in a string; the staff are good at keeping you right.
Departure experience was a little less organised, but it underscored one of the potential issues with any hotel this size. Most reception desks were staffed, and short queues at each, so the wait was only a couple of minutes. As I left to get my car, however, the large wedding party which had taken up the ballroom the previous night was filing out as the lunchtime crowd was filing in and despite the number of staff assigned concierge and door team were swamped. Fortunately one very large member of the door team took it on himself to find my driver in the queue outside and cleared a path with faultless politeness.
I have no substantial complaints about the hotel, just quibbles.
-The elevators seem to have a mind of their own, to the point of stopping at several floors where there's no one waiting. As a one-off, NBD, but this was almost common. Always on the way down as well.
-The food offerings in the lounge seem a little disjointed in the gaps between breakfast, lunch and the evening and I'd like something a little more substantial than cereal bars in the lounge through the night. Leaving the toaster out and some bread, cheese and olives would be enough, but that's personal taste.
-The nightclub would be better as a non-smoking venue.
Other than that, tip-top. They have a motivated and competent team in place and a great building in a fine location.

Room Tip: High floor, Burj view. I doubt there's a bad room in the note, though. You'll never be facin...
2 Thank voronUK
Thank you so much for your detailed review. Your review will help many more future guests to understand what to expect from our hotel, our Service as well as the surrounding areas. We are so pleased you were able to experience everything the hotel has to offer and as well were able to adventure out to the city. We look forward to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Marquis on your next trip to Dubai.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here recently on a business trip to Dubai. As usual, Marriott Hotels are always excellent value. The bedroom was huge with a big king-size bed. Large bathroom with excellent rain shower - no water shortages in Dubai! The breakfast was excellent with an excellent array of choices to be had!
I always look forward to staying at Marriott Hotels as you are never disappointed!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Burj.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Our rainshowers a definitely an excellent amenity in our bathrooms and we are pleased that you were so comfortable in your room. We hope to welcome you you back again soon.
Irvine, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was wrong! Stayed in room A6212.

I have visited Dubai on multiple occasions and typically stay at the Ritz Carlton DIFC. I am a Ritz Carlton member and have attained their lowest level (Silver). While I don't expect to get anything out of it, I do like the added bonus points when I stay at hotels. Many people have complained that the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, I could care less about the location. Everything in Dubai is a taxi ride away and they're dirt cheap.

This hotel is massive. It has two towers, one of which still needs to be opened. There are multiple restaurants and the people flowing in/out is great for them. I arrived around 1130PM because of my flight from London arrived a little late. Immediately, the counter staff was in the trying up sell and get as much money out of me as possible. Before the person had really started checking me in, another salesman was saying that he could get me access to the Executive Lounge for 100 dirhams. I asked if it included alcohol and he said it did. I figured it would be worth it because alcohol is expensive in Dubai. He then offered to upgrade me to a suite for 400 more dirhams. Screw it, why not?

My room was on the 62nd floor and I had a nice view of the desert out one window and the Burj Al Arab out another. This hotel has only been open for a couple of months and people have abused it quickly. There were stains on carpet, white stains on the black pillows on the couch, and food underneath the coffee table in the living room. The shower head in the bathroom had the stainless steel/silver glaze flaking off.

Here's the best part. The guy who told me that they would serve alcohol in the Executive Lounge forgot to mention that there was a holiday, so they wouldn't be serving it. I wasn't happy because that was the reason I got the access to the lounge. I don't stay at the hotel all day. I like to go out and explore. Another person who worked for the hotel told me that they are allowed to serve alcohol until 7pm. I went to the bars and they wouldn't serve because of the holiday. I'm not basing my vacation on alcohol, but when I ask for it and you tell it's going to be available and it's not, you've lied to me.

They told me that I could order in my room. The mini bar doesn't have alcohol in it...which I thought was strange for a 5-star resort. I thought that was one of the requirements...even in Dubai.

The bathtub is a huge soak tub, but I think it's made of plastic. I got in and it made a creaking noise. I'm not a fat / heavyset guy either. It just felt cheap

I did get a massage at the Spa and that was amazing! I would recommend you visit the spa. Their prices are a little high, but it was one of the best I've had...minus the noises from the floor above. I think somebody was dropping marbles on a marble floor and moving tables. It was quite annoying, but thankfully at the end of my massage, so it didn't affect it too much.

I ate at the Thai restaurant and it was good. The staff were extremely friendly and the food was good. I'm not going to review that on here.

Overall, the hotel is big and busy. The decor was kind of bland. I thought this would be an excellent experience because this is a new hotel and is at the JW level for Marriott. This is supposed to be their premier line. The standards were a lot lower than what I expected and everything felt cheap. The staff were trying to make the hotel an extra buck by selling everything they could. I even complained at the end and the person didn't seem to care. If anything, they didn't know how to deal with the situation. They didn't apologize or seem to really care how I felt. I personally won't go back and won't recommend to family/friends. I'll continue to stay at the Ritz Carlton or Grosvenor House while in Dubai.

2 Thank AlisoTraveler
Alma, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Beautiful new hotel, now the biggest in the world. Stunning architecture, could see the Burg Al-Arab from my room. Rooftop pool was fabulous. Great service, couldn't have been nicer. Easy walk to the metro but the hotel has a free shuttle to take you to the Dubai Mall, where you can see the fountains at night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and our team was able to offer you the service you have expected. On your next visit to the hotel we also recommend you to use our other complimentary shuttles to the business bay and Jumeirah beach. We look forward to have you as our guests again at the JW Marriott Marquis.