“Great breakfast, nice rooms but hoping for improvements”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #17 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
Sydney, Australia
“Great breakfast, nice rooms but hoping for improvements”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights for business at this new hotel. Overall a nice new hotel although in the middle of nowhere. Rooms are nice and loved the big bath tub and rain shower, only minus that I had in e room was the control panel in front of the bed - it doesn't seem to always work and on one night when I returned from work at 4am and desperately needed sleep, the whole panel failed which means that the lights could not be turned off at all - very annoying.

Staff in the lobby also needs better training. Enquired staff in the lobby on non-cash paying options to get to the airport and was informed that I could ask front desk to call a taxi that accepts credit-card, however the front desk advises me that is completely untrue which almost left me stranded at the hotel prior to the flight. Better local knowledge needs to be taught.

Food and beverage options are fantastic at this hotel and not too expensive. Breakfast buffet was one of the most impressive that I have seen - love it. Also dinned at the Thai and Japanese restaurants which both offered fairly decent cuisine.

Overall a good experience but hoping for improvements to staff training and for the hotel to fix up that control panel in room

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed dining in some of our great restaurants. We apologize for your experience with your in room control. Should we welcome you back in the future, please try our complimentary hotel shuttle to Dubai Mall. Unfortunately very few taxis in Dubai accept credit cards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Even though this hotel is in an area surrounded by intense construction, you would not know once you have entered the Foyer. The ambience of the magnificent array of assorted white flowers arranged on the huge circle table was breathtaking. This hotel has everything that you forget you are in the Desert. Wellness Spa, Magnificent swimming pool, Cafe, Restaurants. The room was huge, exceptionally comfortable bed, and the bathroom you have a choice of deep free standing bath with aromatherapy salts or a Rain Shower. The Room service was one of the best I have ever had. All the staff, wherever I went were exceptionally helpful, polite and friendly .

Room Tip: I was in a higher level room, but I am sure as this is a relatively new hotel all rooms would be gre...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Our in room amenities are exceptional and we thank you for mentioning them in your review. We are so pleased that your visit has left you with such great memories of our hotel and we are looking forward to welcome you back.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Good business hotel that looks and feels brand new. Lots of staff always around to help you out and greet you well.
The rooms are brand new and have everything you require. Big bathrooms which is a very good plus as it gives you much needed space. The ipod dock was a good touch. Wifi worked well all over the hotel.
The executive lounge was excellent with tid bits through the day and a happy hour in the evenings.. could use it even on the day of check out well past check out as my flight out was at night.
Location was good enough for me as everywhere I needed to go was a 10 minute drive (dubai mall, DFIC etc).
All in all, a great hotel and will definitely stay here again the next time I go!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that we were able to meet all of your your expectations and you were able to experience the hotels surrounding areas whilst staying with us. On a future visit we invite you to use our complimentary shuttle service to the Dubai Mall and the Beach.
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've been watching this hotel go up in Dubai for a while now, and was very excited at the opportunity to stay, though quickly became underwhelmed in most areas (excluding dining).

The rooms are horribly integrated with an IT system. The lighting system is awkward, and when I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom the only option was to switch on ALL lights or none at all, despite fumbling several times earlier in the evening.

We stayed for 2 nights, and each time we saw staff they asked us the same question, "Hello Ma'amSir, how is your stay? Did you just arrive?" Outside of this they were lost in conversation. I also couldn't understand why they kept calling me "Ma'amSir" until I realized that they were so stuck in preopening training, and had seen it written on a board: "Ma'am / Sir," not realizing they choose one or the other. *sigh*

When I asked the Concierge about the Spa, they had to fumble through a drawer to find 1 page of the spa menu (laminated, A4 paper). I mentioned that this was only the facials, and if they had other information. Again, more fumbling. When I said I would just stop up at the Spa, they advised me against it because I would be charged 200 AED just for stepping in! I thought this was a joke, and when I clarified they told me that Spa entry is not included for guests (which I still have a hard time believing, but it sure did keep me from going there).

They have a huge offer of dining, but closed both the Japanese and the Thai restaurant on the days we were there. This seemed a bit silly to close both Asian options, and we ended up dining in La Farine for all meals since my boyfriend does not eat red meat (hence avoiding Prime). La Farine was excellent, and true-to-form HEAVY French food.

The Vault is impressive, but way too smoky. We had 1 drink and had to leave.

I thought perhaps that service just needed a bit more time, but I recently returned for a gala event, and the catering service was even worse.

There are some staff who are switched on, but will it be enough to keep this hotel as the BEST?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zombiefluff
Thank you for your candid review. We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations on your preferred culinary choice this time around, we have increased our number of restaurants now. Please contact us prior to your next visit to confirm what we can arrange for your dining experience.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had the pleasure to spend some time in the Vault, one of the bars at the highest level in Dubai.
Decoration is good, but views are really spectacular. Salmon and caviar pizza very tasteful, wine at fair prices (finally a selection of rose wine by glass). Service is excellent. One of the best bars for "after hours". Fully justified as the "best venue" in Dubai.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing great feedback about our Bar "the Vault". We hope to have you back soon, perhaps try our Boutique Steak house Prime68 on your next visit, as it also has spectacular views.
Trondheim
Reviewed May 23, 2013

According to themselves this is the highest hotel in the world. Pretty typical for Dubai actually, all is built to be biggest and best :)
The hotel is very nice and gives you an exclusive impression. The hotel has a swimming pool, but a small amount of sunbeds. It's a new hotel so all facilities you normally find at Marriott hotels are not open yet, such as the small shops etc.
People are friendly and service minded. The only thing which was a huge dissappointment was the room service. Either it could take 45 minutes for them to bring a bottle of Pepsi, or even worse, they never appeared at all. It happened to both me and a coulleague. So, because of the bad room service, a 5 stars review is down to 4.
But after all, it is a great hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are pleased to hear that you had an overall great experience in our hotel. We at JW Marriott strive to provide a 5* service at all times and we apologize that your room service was not perfect. We hope that this experience does not prevent you from coming back.
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Check-in: efficient and informed on the promotions and my choice of room and view
Room: 54th floor with view of The World and Palm Jumeirah (cant beat that). Very functional room with contemporary decor. Wireless remote to cotrol lighting and aircon.
Bathroom: large and very deep tub with seperate rain shower.
VIP club below, Cigar/vodka bar roof top, sports bar on the ground floor and some great restaurants.
Room Service: food is horrible. 1st day ordered buffalo wings which had nearly a inch thick batter and then breakfast was another disappointment later dinner similar experience. So avoided after three strikes.
Check-out: quick and cordial.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank farhanbari
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. Should we have the opportunity of welcoming you back, please try kitchen 6 for breakfast as it has an amazing selections of cuisines. We look forward to welcome you again to your next trip to the city.