“Disappointing for JW Marriot”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #19 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Bangkok, Thailand
“Disappointing for JW Marriot”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Currently staying at this property. Lobby and public areas are suitably grand and impressive for a luxury Dubai hotel, sadly, behind the scenes the service and hospitality is lacking far behind. Surprising that this hotel has been operational for 6 months +....

Major frustrations include paying for Internet, even though room tariff is $300++. Even chargeable in public areas...! Not the ease of connectivity you would expect from a business hotel. Also no stationary in the room...

When requesting milk for tea from room service, told, we don't serve milk in the rooms...after persuasion in room dining agree to send milk when we offered to pay.

Rooms are OK. Connectivity for gadgets is great with USB ports etc. lighting system sophisticated but flawed. At night when turning on bathroom light, all other room lights come on... Night lights and panel useful, but very bright at night. They should follow Jumeirah standard with a thoughtful fabric cover for all light gadget panels.

Bathroom large and smart, but bad drain smell near toilet and sink with difficult plug that needs to be unscrewed to be removed. Amenities are the lovely aromatherapy associates- the silver lining.

Perhaps this hotel needs more time to be able to operate all 1700 rooms to JW Marriot standard, but for now, there are much better places to stay in Dubai.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Hannah F
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
As a JW Marriott hotel, it is paramount that we appropriately reflect the level of service and attention to detail that our guests expect from the brand and they most certainly deserve. We sincerely regret that this was not the impression you received during your stay. We value your feedback and regret that we did not have an opportunity to speak with you personally prior to your departure. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you again. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,556)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed May 5, 2013

From the moment you walk into this grand open atrium lobby you see literally nothing except a big round table with flowers … the lobby is virtually an empty space with no chairs or sofas and everyone is standing figuring out where to go.

I walked in with bags, no one wished me, no one smiled. At the reception area multiple counters were there and huge pillars were between them so you couldn’t see which counter was free… there were no ushers or host guiding us. There was no separate check-in for Marriott Rewards members. People randomly stood crowding the reception, there were no line ropes or anything to guide new guest. I stood in line, and when I approached the counter, the receptionist simply left the counter (without making any eye contact). We had to scramble to other counters, when finally one of the receptionist got free. From the doorman, to the concierge, to the receptionist, no one smiled. It was probably the most un-welcomed I’ve ever felt at a Marriott (and I’ve been a very loyal member to this chain). It appeared to me to take the shape of a badly run sterile business hotel with large number of conference attendees (which were all there with their conference badges), and the staff were just trying to get through the volume with the most insincere barely-there service!

For the large hotel complex it has a very small pool, and we ate at the pool-side grill (two beef burgers) and it took us 1 hour and 17 minutes… yes we started to count the time because it was delayed so badly. The table next to us, sent their food back 3 times as the orders were not taken properly, and another table refused to pay the bill and walked off due to the late arrival of food. It was TERRIBLE! Having said that, when the food eventually did arrive, it was delicious.

The room décor is the only redeeming factor of this hotel (which has so much potential). The room layout with the huge bed wooden corridor, and full wall of mirror and the huge original art spelled luxury…and then when you walked to the bathroom it was pure perfection. Huge bathtub anchored the main space, that lead to a smaller area for the WC, and then a separate shower area… it was really amazing. Too bad, even your stay in such a beautiful room is spoiled the minute you interact with any sort of service like I did at ordering breakfast. They got my order wrong. The morning of my checkout at 11:30 the electricity power auto switched off (the iron, the TV, and the laptop charger) when I called the reception it was because I had to checkout!!! … After yelling at them that I needed to iron my clothes before going to the airport, the engineer was sent to my room to make the specific outlet of the iron active again so I could complete my choir and checkout.

Upon checkout, no one asked me if I had a nice stay (because I was really prepared to tell them exactly how I felt). .. but they didn’t all they wanted was to have me out as quickly as possible to take in the next load of conference check-in.
I’ll never be going back to them again, and I strongly urge those spending their own money on this hotel to not waste it, and go for another option.. there are many other luxury options for the same price-range!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Gailani I
Thank you very much for taking the time to share the details of your stay. Your opinion matters to us and it is concerning you felt that you were unable to share your comments with us during your stay as well as upon check out. At JW Marriott we strive to provide a 5* service and sincerely apologize that we missed the mark. Please know that we are addressing your feedback with the appropriate mangement teams so that corrective actions are immediately pursued. Thank you.
Utah
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My stay in Dubai was made all the better because of the beautiful Marriott property. From the minute you enter the hotel you know you are in a five star property. My room was on the 61st floor with an unbelievable view of the water; the bathroom had a fabulous large shower, lots and lots of beautiful towels, and the room was clean, clean. Each morning I received hot, hot coffee and a basket of croissants served with a smile and a wonderful attitude, which I loved. All of the restaurants I tried were wonderful, especially Kitchen 6, with their varied selections to offer. I stayed for two weeks and wish it could have been longer. Can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: All rooms have very good views of different sorts.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review, and we look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Even though the hotel is magnificient in the first sight, the rooms were a little dissapoiting! The best part was to stay at the 66 floor! The view was expetacular and breathtaking! The downsides were the services of the front desk staff and also the concierge! It seems like they still need training to aide tourist with information.

• Stayed April 2013
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your overall stay; However, we are concerned that our associates were unable to provide you with thorough tourist information. Please know that we have reviewed your feedback with the appropriate management teams so that we can work towards improving the services provided for our guests. Thank you.
Saudi Arabia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed here in april for 3 nights, we are a married couple with one infant. It was really an enjoyable stay. The lobby is awesome with all the burining candles and flowers. The staff are all friendly. I did not try the hotel pool or fitness club...etc to comment on them though.
The breakfast was nice too, but it was not amazing and the food tables were far away of each other.
Please note that there is an easy way to get to Dubai mall from the hotel. The GPS map google showed did not have the new roads leading to the hotel drawn so I had to follow the it to take me a long way around. So I recommend asking the concierge about how to get there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your great review. We were happy to host you and your family and we hope to be able to welcome you again on a future visit to the city!
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This is an appellant, seemingly five star hotel. The service however needs to be improved drastically. The rooms are clean and spacious with adequate amenities. There is a coffee maker and a water heater which is always nice. Room cleaning can be be between 5-5 apparently because the staff has too many rooms to handle in that time. The breakfast is impressive in variety, but food is distributed over 6 stations and by the time you collect your food some items get cold ( that much distance!!). There is generally a lot if walking in this hotel and the final distantanations offer only an average experience. Elevators take forever to come. The pool is cold and hard to swim in. In general the hotel offers an 'industrial impersonal' quality, and though the staff everywhere is friendly but obviously not trained enough. Like the Marriott is trying to save by employing cheap unqualified labor.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. We sincerely apologize if we have missed the mark with regards to delivering a memorable service experience. We truly value your feedback and please be assured that our leadership teams are working with each of our associates to deliver a consistent 5 Star experience that our guests have come to expect from a JW Marriott hotel.
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed one night after coming in from the US. I received an email ahead of time saying I would have access to the lounge and could check in there (gold marriott rewards member). Check in went fine and I headed down the the lounge to check it out. It was clear they did not have enough staff to handle the amount of people there. Servers were circulating but it was unclear if they were doing drink service or you had to get it yourself. The food was also disappointing and they also couldn't keep up with the amount of people leaving me to eat my hummus with tortilla chips instead of pita. I walked around to see what the restaurants had to offer but nothing looked appealing and I was tired so I settled on room service. Bad choice. I ordered a club sandwich with avocado and French fries. They said sure on the addition of avocado but wouldn't swap out chips for fries so I had to order them separately - annoying but whatever. The sandwich was cold, no avocado, and fries were lukewarm. Breakfast in the morning was having the same issues as the night before of running out of food. I tried to check out the pool but it is tiny and all the chairs we're claimed by 1030 and mostly were in the shade. Also noticed the elevators were very slow. Final annoyance was when I called for them to retrieve my luggage and after 15 minutes of waiting was told the elevators were broken. After hauling my own luggage to reception I was asked how my stay was - when I replied there was lots of problems the person checking me out didn't care to ask what they were. Rooms were decorated very well and the bed was very comfy but I won't be going back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jessie I
It is very concerning to read about your experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and please be assured that the details of your stay, including your checkout experience, have been reviewed with the appropriate management teams so that these concerns can be remedied. We hope that you can accept our sincere apology for these service inconsistencies. Thank you.