“Beautiful, but could be a little better”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #19 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, and situated in a great location, but it is new, and consequently has some issues. I did read the other reviews before booking, and agree with a few things. One is the front desk. If you are not a platinum or gold member checking in on the 37th floor, you must wait for one of the two (out of possibly 8 stations) stations where there is an employee to check in. The rooms are very high tech, so much so as to be completely baffling in some places...like the lights. The executive lounge would be great if there were something other than sweets and cookies to eat on the off hours. Also, the service is confusing in the executive lounge, as there are many employees, but apparently is self-serve. There as a problem with the phones, and incoming calls to my room never appeared. Also, the Manager, Elizabeth, told me she would send along her contact information when we met, but she did not follow through. The hotel addressed correspondence to My Husband, who is not here with me. I had to explain I am the platinum member, the client,not him, so I should be addressed as "Mrs." not "Mr." There was a problem with the wake up call not arriving, and when I called to ask why, I was told I never made such an arrangement (I did)....Last, but not least, the overwhelming and pervasive second hand cigarette smoke on the 70th floor bar pretty much pushed me out that door..a little ventilation with your probablility of cancer would be nice. Still, while these are small details, at the price of the room, they should not exist.

I am sure this hotel will pull it together, but it may take a bit more time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. As a loyal Platinum Elite guest, your feedback certainly resonates with our team and we sincerely apologize for having missed the mark - especially with regards to the details that most certainly should not have been missed. We hope that this experience does not prevent you from visiting our hotel on a future visit to Dubai. Thank you.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our first time in Dubai : We had a suite on the 39th floor ..the beds were so comfortable , the view great, the airconditioning easy to adjust , a luxurious room. The service was so attentive, always a smile, always willing to help . Everything ran well with an atmosphere of calmness. I was worried we weren't on the beach but actually everything is easy to get to and taxis are cheap and actually coming back to the hotel in the afternoon without all the other beach goers was very pleasant , as the hotel cliental are very multi cultural ,elegant, but at the same time relaxed. So there was no rush for the restaurants.... we tried the La Farine ..easy relaxed french bistro ..loved the eggs Benedict and the saffron creme caramel ...24hr service. Then we went to Prime 68 on the 68th floor...a fantastic selection of top beef steaks set in a cool modern clean feeling trendy environment with spectacular views . The Rang Mahal is an indian exploration of tastes in a romantic setting ...huge red windows and large wooden sanskrit pillars. The Vault and very secluded bar again a relaxed but elegant atmosphere. The Thai restaurant we only saw and but the way they felt like a journey into one's soul. We will try it next time. The japanese rest. Izakaya , looked very great fun ...there is a Wasabi girl.
I felt that each restaurent really had a different feel/pace/ and story.

I had to work most mornings so appreciated the bar/lounge on the ground floor ..oodles of space to spread out and peaceful. Also the executive lounge was quiet and private.

I enjoyed being with guests who were on business or pleasure and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As a JW Marriott hotel, we strive to create and environment of simple elegance where our guests feel welcomed, comfortable and free to be themselves. We are very proud to have represented the brand accordingly, and we thank you for being our guest. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Excellent property to stay either for business trip or family trip. It's a new property, well designed, having twin towers, centrally located and value for money. The hotel is having an excellent Club for guests.

I recommend this to all travellers who are looking for a nice stay in Dubai.

Room Tip: Room on higher floors will give a nice view of Dubai
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are pleased to know that you had an opportunity to enjoy our JW Marriott Executive Lounge, and we hope that on your next visit you are able to explore the newest additions that our Culinary and Executive Lounge teams are implementing to enhance the experience.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great property. The rooms are very spacious, and the Thai restaurant is amazing! Highly recommended.

The location is great, next to Dubai mall.

There needs to be more directions or signage on how to get to the various restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your great review! We also thank you for your feedback about the signage in the hotel and please know that feedback from our guests is valued and reviewed by the hotel management team. Thank you and we hope to welcome you again!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

They are all hospitable and smiling; very helpful and prompt.
I was however lost because there were 3 sets of elevators and 2 towers and I was not informed which tower to go to (Tower A or B). But there was a signage and I found my way.

I like the outside view while the elevator is rising to my floor (26th) and security wise, you cannot go to your room if you do not swipe your card (except for bars, gym, spa and restaurants). The swimming pool is simply a rectangular shape but with style.

Food were great and I would definitely go back. but this time not for a business conference, but with my family.

Room Tip: Any room is fine as it will give you both great views. However, both views are showing construction...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MasterJayson

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family on your next visit to Dubai!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

After a 15 night stay at this hotel, I can claim to know it very well. Everything about this hotel is guaranteed to impress. I will not go on too much about the decor, room fitout, the building itself and so forth. These details can be gleaned from the hotel's website. Suffice to say that all are first-rate and what you would expect from a hotel of this rating. I will try to concentrate instead on information which I consider useful. Firstly if your room package includes breakfast, try not to miss it. It is served from 0600 to 1030 in Kitchen 6 on the first floor and the choice will overwhelm you, but more importantly the fare will keep you going for most of the day. All rooms feature rain showers, which are the highlight of each room. They are simply delightful and a luxurious way to start and end your day. The rooms themselves are larger than standard, and there is plenty of space for hanging and storing clothes. Lighting and temperature are all easily controlled by a tablet, but the light coming from the temperature control panel near the bed is consummately annoying in the middle of the night. Front of house staff are very gracious and welcoming, particularly the staff at the concierge desk, who will effortlessly handle any request you make of them.

There are only a few minor caveats to be aware of at this hotel and they are as follows: Back of house service is sketchy and inconsistent, and wait times are lengthy. I had to call every day to have the room serviced, and it took hours. On a few occasions I had to forego the room servicing as I could wait no longer and had to get to bed, as I had to be at work very early. Similarly, requests for tea/coffee supplies also took hours (3 to be exact), and several phonecalls on those days when I could not have the room made up. Staff aren't really responsive in this regard. A colleague of mine was staying in an IDENTICAL room two floors above mine. Her room was equipped with a coffee machine, whilst mine had only a kettle. I asked the housekeeping staff about this inconsistency despite the fact that our rooms were exactly the same and the only reply I got was 'coffee machines are reserved for executive rooms, Sir,' and several times at that. I did not pursue it any further. (The irony was that my colleague does not drink coffee!) Similarly, at La Farine (the F&B outlet on the ground floor, open 24 hours), be prepared for considerable wait times whether you order to sit in or to take away. Whilst it is a bit pricey, the food, however is excellent.

The hotel has 70 floors in Tower A (Tower B is not yet in use), and in the lobby there are 8 lifts; 4 servicing levels 1-35 and four servicing levels 35-70. Simply not enough. The wait is interminable, both to and from the lobby, and like the Dubai Metro, the lifts are overcrowded and of course getting to your floor is a multiple-stop proposition Of the four lifts shuttling to levels 35-70, three are panoramic, so this will distract you from the milk-run to your level.

The hotel is located in Business Bay, a new development on the fringe of the CBD and is surrounded by vacant lots and construction sites (a temporary state of affairs, I am sure). Business Bay stop on the metro line is a brisk 5 minute walk away, There is a WH Smith tucked away at the end of the bar on the ground floor and to the right, a Subway at the Eppco Station behind the hotel, and adjacent to this, in the Dnata building, a branch of Costa Coffee. There is also a convenience store across the road and to the left as you exit the lobby. There is a free shuttle to and from the DXB mall every 20 minutes, and the last shuttle leaves the mall at 2150, and there is also an hourly shuttle service to the Mall of the Emirates, but it operates hourly and goes via the beach, so a taxi or the Metro will be quicker. Opposite Business Bay Metro Station and one block down (in the direction of DXB Mall), in the Executive Towers, you will find an excellent dry cleaner who picks up and delivers to the hotel, and at a third of the cost that the hotel charges. Definitely recommended if you are staying more than a week.

Overall, this is an excellent hotel. The foregoing were only minor annoyances and they neither detracted from the enjoyment and productivity of my stay, nor will they dissuade me from staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank BerlitzTraveller
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your business travel and for taking the time to share your insight with future visitors of the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced with regards to requests and any prolonged delay when using the elevators. We truly appreciate your feedback as it is important for us to strive towards solutions for these concerns. We look forward to hosting you again for your future business travel to Dubai.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I really do not know what it is about safety behaviour of Marriott chains in the Gulf that they just do not get it.

Today, my son and me get into an elevator with a Marriott Housekeeping employee 'Mohsin' inside. Unfortunately dear Mohsin stands next to the panel, the door closes on my son and hits his head. What is the 1st reaction of the employee ? Looking at me ... and ... absolutely nothing !

I guess I did expect far too much .. such as .. "sorry" .. " is he ok ? " .. " do you need ice ? " ..

I got ZERO .. NOTHING ... NADA .. just an employee with eyes wide open !

Upon complaining to the reception desk ... I get a reply : " Would you like to complain to the duty manager " .. At last one A category employee of the reception by the name of Mahmoud catches the dialogue and actually does ask how my son is doing.

My fazit : Poorly trained employees of a newly opened hotel ... would I wait for a catastrophy to happen and be in their hands ? Hmmm ...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Amin2011

We are very concerned to read this feedback and would very much like to speak with you personally, as what you have experienced certainly does not reflect the service and safety standards of a Marriott International hotel. Please confirm your contact details by emailing mhrs.dxbjw.grm@marriott.com. Thank you and we hope to be able to speak with you soon.