“The Marquis...”

JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
Ranked #19 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The JW Marriott Marquis is a 5 star hotel and rightly so. I loved it! The check-in process was quick and without hassle. The room was fantastic - it's what you expect from a JW. My favorite place was the bathroom, all the amenities in hide away cases which gave it an even more sophisticated feel. Initially there was a problem with our TV, we called downstairs and maintenance came right up; in an instant TV working...the bed was so comfortable I don't recall falling asleep - perhaps it was the long flight :)
The breakfast buffet was excellent - very international. They served a variety of local and international food that was enjoyable. Since I love tea and there was a variety I indulged!
The 24 hour spot was good as well; although I only bought a muffin because we missed breakfast the first day - mixed nut muffin with pistachios! It was huge and tasty!
The Marquis is located in downtown where construction is still going on but it didn't stop us from exploring or visiting the Mall. The hotel offers a free daily shuttle with the last pickup from the Mall at 9:15pm. You need all day in the mall, it's huge! I live in NY and didn't think I would be amazed by a mall... I was wrong. In this Mall they have the Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, PF Chang's and even Johnny Rockets; to name a few.. I'm impressed. I can't forget to mention the underwater aquarium which I only stared at as it is amazing. I also saw the ice skating rink which looked like fun.
Lastly, the metro is within walking distance and worth a ride. But be aware, the first car is for women only so when you get stares you'll know why....

1  Thank talyah
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review! There are few things that can compete with New York City, and Dubai is certainly up for the challenge. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience as a guest in the "Tallest Hotel in the World", and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is the first time I've stayed at the Marquis, and I gotta tell ya: awesome.

For a long time Marriott member, this one is a keeper... or, should I say: I'll be going back.

Whether short or long term stay, one will find this modern build hotel to be the it place; as it's centrally located from almost everything in Dubai, and it allows for easy access to the nearby restaurants, malls, entertainment centers, and of course businesses (small and large).

The staff at the Marquis is stamped 'international' all over; as they obviously come from different 'corners' of our planet, and they were all extremely helpful during my stay as the overall customer service has been outstanding.

Now, regarding the value for the money, I'd say this hotel is definitely towards the high end of the medium prices hotels, and one does have the luxurious option (if they'd like to be treated like a king/queen)... & for the money you pay, it is really forth every penny spent, as you will be treated like royalty.

Marquis is clean as a whistle, not only due to the fact that it's a new hotel, but simply because of 'bazillion' folks constantly running around and ensuring that it stays clean... & as a guest I greatly appreciate this, as I passionately despise filth.

I am not sure if this would be a place for a family to stay (but, what do I know); however, if you're a businessman/woman, couple, or bunch of friends, you'll have great fun... as not only the hotel itself offers a lot, but if you'd like a day trip in and out of Dubai, the wonderful staff at the Marquis would be able to help you with this....

All-in-all, I'd say a very-very-very good hotel for a JW. (I know, I didn't say excellent, although I am giving them some perfect points)... there's always ways for improvement...

Room Tip: My two cents: request a high level/floor room... you'll see why; especially at night...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
DXBJW, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments! We are so pleased to know that you were able to explore all of the many features and amenities that the hotel offers, especially being centrally located in the city. Excellence is what we strive for, and we hope to be able to be considered as such on your next visit! Thank you and we hope you to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This is a great hotel, very new and just like most 5 stars hotel in Asia, exceptional service! The restaurant(s) opens 24 hours. Unsure how many of them with 24 hour service, but at least one of nine opens 24 hours. I find that very useful as some flights in/out of Dubai are in middle of the night. I stayed at the Ritz @ DIFC before and it is also another great hotel. Unfortunately, Marriott platinum members don't receive any benefits. At the JW, I got upgraded to the suite and of course having access to 24 hours Executive Lounge is a great benefit. As for location, it is OK for business, not much for kids and family vacation though (not much to do as far as I can tell). Comparing to the Ritz@DIFC, I prefer the Ritz location better, more stuff to walk around (not by much). The gym at JW is better, larger. I would stay here again because the Marriott status means have some perks.

1  Thank Phyrebird

We are pleased to know you had an opportunity to be a guest of our hotel, and we thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. When wanting to get out and explore the city, we hope that on your next visit you have an opportunity to visit local attractions and malls by using our complimentary shuttle service. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is just awesome. We stayed there in March 2013. Hotel is brand new and you can feel it. The check-in process took just minutes. Our room was on the 60th floor and we could see Burj Khalifa while on the bed. Don't know if we were the only ones on the floor...didn't see anybody else on the floor...so totally private :). The views from the 60th floor are just gorgeous (look at the pics). We stayed there for 5 nights using points and it was the best way to spend it. I am a Marriott Gold member and had lounge access on the 37th floor and the lounge is the entire 37th floor and there is food always and open 24 hours. Because of the status, internet was included. The hotel has free shuttles to Mall of the Emirates and Dubai Mall. The Business Bay station is about 5-10 min walk. Honestly couldn't have asked for more.

The only downside was the time it takes to get the elevator....we were on the 60th floor and it used to take a good 10 min to get to the 60th floor and get back to the lobby.....you know for the experience of staying and all the positives, this is really a minor issue.

The hotel lets you exchange up to 100 USD per day per room. So don't pay fees to exchange currency ahead of time. You can exchange at the lobby as you need. Everywhere they accept USD.

Room Tip: 60th floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FLGator1998
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Overall our stay was good. We traveled in April 2013. We waited about five minutes to check-in. The lines were a little long. We paid in cash to avoid our bank's 3% surcharge for foreign credit card transactions. Marriott did require that we leave a credit card for incidentals.

We were amazed upon entering the room. Our room number was 4611. The room faced in an easterly direction with views of Burj Khalifa and of the river. The bathroom was simply amazing. It had a separate shower (rain shower), bathtub, and a separate area with toilet.

We had two full sized beds even though the clerk said they were queen size beds. There was ample drawer and closet space for a week's worth of clothes for two people.

The television did not work very well. It kept going in and out. This didn't happen all the time. We mainly watched tv at night before going to bed.

Services:
I took advantage of their shoe shine services. The young man did a fantastic job. The internet cost too much to use in the room and I did not receive a good signal anyway on my Ipad. I can't remember the exact price but it was too much! They did however offer free internet in the "common" areas of the hotel. You could sign up for multiple three hour increments.

The hotel charges for local phone calls. They do not have any payphones or other means of phone communications except for the phone located in your room. I didn't even see in-house phones.

The concierge desk was very helpful. We booked two excursions prior to arriving in Dubai from a promotional site. They called and verified our booking and helped us with a problem we had with the tour company.

The rooms were cleaned each day. The maid left a date for the both of us each day. Those dates were fantastic!

There is a gift shop located inside the hotel.

Food:
We receive complimentary breakfast and it was pretty fantastic. The breakfast buffet included food from around the world. The're were 6 different stations where you could get fruits, vegetables, cereal, rice, fish, meats, and different kinds of breads. They even had fresh juice. It was a very overwhelming experience (in a good way).

We ate at "Thai Tong" one of the hotel's many restaurants. The meal for two people cost us $100. This was a little expensive. I basically ordered the same thing I order in the states and the bill was about $60 more expensive. The food was ok. Not spectacular but pretty good.

Transportation:
The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle to and from the Dubai mall. It runs every 20 minutes. It was very easy to use. The hotel is not near too many places. The metro is about a 5-10 minute walk away. Taxi rides are inexpensive so getting where you need to go should be cheap and easy.

Here is the reason I gave it a four star instead of five.
Upon our departure, I called for a person to come up and get our luggage. The hotel allows you to leave your luggage with them until you are ready to go. We asked for a late check-in but the front clerk said she could not offer a late check-out because they hotel was booked and they needed the room. I only had a few minutes until check-out time so I checked out. The other member in my party stayed with the luggage in the room. I sat in the lobby and waited for the luggage to be brought down. I dozed off and woke up and the luggage was still not there. So I hopped in the elevator with a few other people and they used their card to punch in my floor. The luggage was still there. The other member in my party had requested two additional times that the luggage be picked up by staff members who were in the hall. I finally went down and personally spoke with someone and they showed no record of anyone in my party requesting a pick-up. They sent someone up right away and I received a claim check. I read the claim check and it said that anyone in possession of this claim check could claim the luggage. That's all that it said. After about 1 hour and a half our luggage was checked. Hours later: I pick up my luggage and go to the airport. At the airport I see a sticker on my luggage. It said that my luggage had been searched by JW Marriott for quality control. I was angry. They did not have a right to go through my personal items. I felt violated. There was no indication that using their luggage services would constitute a right for them to go through my things.

We were attending a travel conference in Dubai. We would definitely let our clients know about the lack of personal rights at the hotel. JW Marriott does not respect their customers personal property and rights.

Room Tip: Room 4611 was great. Pick a room facing east.
2  Thank Casandra H

Thank you for your review, and we are pleased to know that you had an overall enjoyable stay. However, it is very concerning to read about the notification left on your luggage and we would like to speak with you further about the details of this incident. Please confirm your contact details by emailing mhrs.dxbjw.grm@marriott.com. Thank you.

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The latest 'worlds tallest hotel' - presents a pretty picture at night time, n views of the city n sea n even Burj al Arab in the day. Rooms are fresh (of course, hotel only opened in nov 2012) but not too big, stylish tub n spacious bathroom makes up for it. Location tad inaccessible n far from the city buzz, n no shops, to dos nearby. Overall good stay.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for taking the times to share your feedback. We hope that on your next visit you will have the opportunity to explore the city by using our complimentary shuttle service. We look forward to your next visit to Dubai!

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business and must say wow. Everyone was so helpful from check In to the guys that order the taxis. Room was on 22nd floor and the view was ok.. Unfortunately being Dubai there are skyscrapers and other large hotels everywhere so view are mainly hotels and building sites building new hotels.

Rooms were fantastic problem the best rain shower I've ever used as well as the most comfortable shower and bed in the world.

Only downside blinds are not blackout so if you arrive early and need a quick kip it's not so easy.

Overall highly recommend