“Beautiful room, spectacular view, awful breakfast, noisy!”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #58 of 547 Hotels in Dubai
Norway
“Beautiful room, spectacular view, awful breakfast, noisy!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed one night in a beautiful room with an impressive sea view (and a balcony), although it's getting ruined now by the building of a MALL ON THE BEACH. These people are crazy, who in their right mind would destroy the fantastic JBR beach like this. :( Anyway, the room looked exactly like it does on the web site and the colors and decor were really nice. Requested a room high up, which we got, although it didn't prevent the noise from the night club reaching us. Didn't bother us in particular, but could really bother other people. The bath room was slightly dusty and there were a few small black hairs on the wash - I'm extremely picky about these things though and this is the main reason why I gave the hotel a two instead of a three. The breakfast was a joke. Good selection, but scrambled eggs were soggy, mushy and tasted like water. Pork bacon was tough and watery. Pancakes had been frozen and were at least one or two days old, they just crumbled up when you cut into them, tasted like cardboard and were really grainy. Disgusting. Service was slow and the restaurant looked like a right mess when we got there 40 min before closing. A hotel of this standard should be able to keep it clean and neat until the last customer has left.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to avoid the worst of the construction and nightclub noise, and reque...
4 Thank Rie A
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Rie A,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Ocean View Hotel.

I was delighted to read your candid review with regards to your stay with us. I was happy to read your positive comments about the colors and decoration of your accommodation which you have kindly mentioned were nice, as well as the balcony with an impressive sea view that you enjoyed.

It is with regret that we have not met your expectations on this occasion with the overall standard of cleanliness in your accommodation (finding a few small black hair is certainly not acceptable), as well as to the quality of food served in our restaurant. I would like to sincerely apologise for any shortfall, and I can confirm that this is not to our usual high standards. I have also shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and Executive Chef for immediate action, and the measures have been taken in order to avoid similar reoccurrences in the future. On your comment of an “Awful” breakfast, I do have to beg to differ with your opinion.

Pancakes cannot be frozen in our hotel, they cannot be 2-3 days old, the mix is done daily and left overs discarded. The eggs used for the scrambled eggs are full eggs, purchased in pasteurized containers – based on Dubai’s food laws, I cannot see how they become watery – the recipe we use is based on a mix of egg, milk and cream, same recipe I did use 20 years ago at the Savoy Hotel in London (stopping the cooking process for scrambled eggs with cold milk / cream is a good trick to ensure the much appreciated runny-ness of the eggs). How bacon can be tough and watery at the same time, also escapes my understanding of basic cooking processes. Seeing the other 13 trip advisor comments posted by you on the 13th October I politely remind you that if they would be correct I would have to severely warn / punish several of our line staff with immediate effect breaking our (and Dubai’s) very stringent food safety & hygiene laws, possibly ending their career. But seeing the many many positive comments we do receive day in day out about our breakfast I do believe the incidents described by you are very insular.

I would like to update you that the area where the hotel is located at has been developed significantly based on recent meeting with the development company and through my own observations. I do hope that the completion of the construction will be announced before the upcoming festive season. This development would be for more than 70 new brand shops, an underground cinema, 40 new restaurants and an widely extended beach right within close walking distance of the hotel. Calling the Dubai government “crazy” is maybe not the vocabulary I would recommend our guests to use for members of our great host nation.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Should you wish to take our conversation off line, I would be delighted to receive your answer on generalmanager.ovh@jaresorts.com

Otto Kurzendorfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We returned earlier this week from a one week stay at the Ocean View. Reception staff were very good on arrival, our room on the 24th floor was lovely and all seemed great.

We were well aware of the construction taking place at the front as the travel agent had told us but we didn't quite expect it to be quite so extensive. We have been to Dubai several times before so are used to construction taking place but this was a bit more intrusive with limited beach access. The beach you were able to go on to was so much smaller too because of the construction. The beach here used to be as big as further along the Walk (such as at the Royal Meridien) but it has been ruined currently. We did however make use of the free hotel transport to go to the Jebel Ali a couple of times which has a lovely beach and gardens. (Still can't escape the building out to sea there either though!)

We saw in a previous review that the hotel pool in in the shade in the morning. It was actually in the shade all day except about one hour in the afternoon. Nice though, good staff etc. The sitting area nearby at the pool bar was a bit surprising as lots of the cushions had big footprints on them, no doubt from previous revellers, but a bit off putting nonetheless.

Our room was very well looked after and a special mention to the room attendants and the staff in the club lounge as they were brilliant. More about the club lounge later though.

We had a problem with a lack of hot water in the room a few times. We reported this to reception one evening and all they did was send a guy who was not an engineer or plumber and he ran the taps for about half an hour then said it was OK. Admittedly it was hotter that when we'd used it, but the advice was to run the taps! Sometimes we had lovely hot showers, others were lukewarm even after running the taps for ages but to be honest we couldn't be bothered with reporting it again as by the time it was apparently only warm, we were ready to have showers anyway and didn't want to have to wait around for someone to come and run the taps.
We had a half board offer and some evenings e.g. the Mediterranean night, the food was brilliant. Other times there was a lack of some foods with them running out and not being replenished promptly. When you choose some items for your buffet meal, it is disappointing to not have the accompaniments you'd like and again, we were not prepared to stand around waiting for these to be replenished while our other plated food got cold. The restaurant staff should be on top of this.

Club lounge: Paid extra for this facility but not as good as some other hotels who have all drinks and liqueurs available in their happy hours. Reasonable but limited choice here. Snacks and canapes were a bit sparse sometimes with empty platters or only one or two of each item available. We felt this was maybe down to there being only one member of staff who has to attend to the customers, pour and serve drinks and also replenish the canapes....

It is with reluctance I give 3 stars, I'd like to give more, but there were just too many minus points which we've never had in Dubai before.

Would we return to this hotel? - Sadly, no.

Room Tip: High floor recommended
3 Thank JKJGlasgow_Scotland
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear JKJGlasgow_Scotland,

I was delighted to read your candid review with regards to your stay with us. It was also nice to read your kind words about the room which you have kindly mentioned was lovely and great, the food served which you enjoyed, as well as your arrival experience that you found to be very good.

I would also like to inform you that most of our guests utilizes and enjoys the public beach which is located opposite of the hotel and within a healthy 200 meters walk of our own pool, together with the complimentary beach bag, the towels, mats etc. that we provided. Our guests are also encouraged to visit our sister property if they wish to be in a private beach facility, wherein they can reach by the complimentary shuttle service that we provide several times every day. This exclusive and private beach facility is not accessible to any other hotel or their guests located on the Dubai JBR Walk.

We appreciate all feedback which allows us to continually improve our products and services, and as such I appreciate your comments with regards to the food served in our restaurant. I would like to sincerely apologise for any shortfall on this occasion, and I can confirm that this is not to our usual high standards.

I was disappointed to know that the hot water in your accommodation was unfortunately not to your satisfaction. It is our aim to always provide the highest level of service to all our guests. Your feedback has been passed on to our Chief Engineer, and I can assure you that we are investigating this matter to prevent this from reoccurring in the future.

Nevertheless, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about my team who looked after you during your stay with us, whom you felt were very good and brilliant. I will personally ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in Ocean View Hotel, and I would like thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Komen, Slovenia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Spacious and comfortable room with fantastic view, friendly staff, free wi-fi in the room, fantastic breakfast, good swimming pool, excellent location, a few minutes walk from metro station,.. Free shuttle to souk, shopping centers and beach.
The only one thing that disturbed us that the fruit was for dinner only one day.
We really recomend this hotel if you stay in Dubai.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leaaaaa
Dear Leaaaaa,

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the amenities and services offered by the hotel, the complimentary shuttle bus service, the free WIFI, the swimming pool, the food served during breakfast which you felt was fantastic, the spaciousness and comfortableness of the rooms in the hotel, as well as the hotel’s accessible location. I do also appreciate your positive comments with regards to my team whom you felt were friendly. I will definitely ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

I have noted your comments with regards to the fruits served at our restaurant during dinner. We do try and cater for all our guests’ needs and requirements, and I would like to apologise if this was not to your satisfaction. Your welcome feedback has been shared with our Executive Chef for further review.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautifully presented with an air of luxury. The food was excellent and would suit all tastes with plenty of variety. The room itself was spacious and very comfortable. We took advantage of the coral lounge for afternoon tea and also pre-dinner drinks and canapés. One of the best things about the hotel is the people who go out of their way to serve you. They are very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer D
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jennifer D,

Firstly, I would like to personally wish you and your husband a “Happy Anniversary!” I was extremely pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay whilst celebrating this special occasion with us.

I do appreciate your kind words about the hotel, the quality and selection of food served, the spaciousness and comfortableness of the rooms, as well as the service that was provided by my team whom you felt were very friendly and helpful. I will definitely ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Arendal, Norway
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here from 26-Sep until 4-Oct and are overall very satisfied. Excellent hotel with friendly staff and great service. Our room was spacious and located on the 16th floor (room 1611). Only complaint was all the construction work going on along "The Walk" and out at sea. However, there seems to be construction work everywhere in Dubai so it is hard to avoid. We were not disturbed by noise as the room seemed well insulated. Delicious breakfast buffet is recommendable. Free shuttle bus to major sites and shopping. Yes, as another guest recommended, do treat yourself to a meal at The Cheesecake Factory ay the Dubai Mall. Great food, interior and service. Also, the view to Ski Dubai is a bonus. We rented bicycles at Dubai Marina (NextBike self-rental stands) and biked along the lovely marina (8-9km loop). Afternoon Tea at Burj Al Arab is definitely recommendable as you have 2hrs to enjoy the food and surroundings. Beautiful sunny weather every day with temperatures between 30-33 degrees. Taxis are safe, clean, modern, inexpensive and dependable. We paid 80 AED from hotel to airport. Also, try the Metro - it must be the cleanest and most modern in the world. We would definitely go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view but we would recommend a room above the 10th floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Norodden,

I was delighted to know that you were very satisfied stay with us. It was nice to read your kind words about the food served in our restaurant during breakfast which you have kindly mentioned was highly recommendable, the spaciousness of the rooms in the hotel, as well as the complimentary shuttle bus service that you enjoyed.

I have noted your feedback about the nearby construction work being carried out which was beyond our control. Nevertheless, I was happy to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us!

Your comments with regards to the service that you received from my team, whom you felt was friendly, were very much appreciated. I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed here for 2 nights. It was fantastic. the staff service was incredible, attentive, helpful..especially Lucy. the rooms are really lovely and spacious and have fantastic views. For those who commented on the construction around, hello, this is Dubai!! You can not hear any noise in your room. The walk to the beach is not the best but the pool is fabulous for a quick dip...and the pool guys really nice and ready to help with the towels. the air con is fab...the breakfast fantastic!!! the metro is fab 10 Min walk way and such a clean cool and fab experience and so cheap too!!
a really top class experience, no negatives here and thanks to the outstanding staff!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chris G
Dear chris G,

It was lovely to read your review, as well as your positive comment about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was awesome, the air conditioning and the swimming pool which you found to be fabulous, the service that was received, as well as the breakfast food served which you felt was fantastic. I was also pleased to hear that you found your accommodation to be very spacious, lovely and had fantastic views.

Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay, some of whom you have acknowledged by name. You have kindly mentioned that they were friendly, helpful and attentive. I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Excellent hotel. Service and food superb. Definitely the place to stay. Use the metro to get around. Make sure you get a day ticket then you can get on and off whenever you want. We used the metro like the trip bus we usually use and it cost approx £5. Great little juice bar on the walk who do smoothies. Service and prices great.

Room Tip: High room as a lot of building work going on. Dubai is quickly being built up and the workers work 2...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ortomum
Dear ortomum,

I was delighted to read your candid review with regards to your stay with us. It was also nice to read your kind words about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was wonderful and excellent, as well as the food and service that you received which you found to be superb.