“fantastic”

Ranked #60 of 549 Hotels in Dubai
Darlington
“fantastic”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

stayed at the hotel from the 17th aug till the 27th the hotel was fantastic from entrying the hotel you felt special the staff were very polite the hotel was immaculate we stayed in room 1804 overlooking the palm I could write all day about the positives about the hotel so all I will say is if your looking for a hotel in Dubai then look no further than the ocean view hotel

Elliot purvis

• Stayed August 2013
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Elliot P,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Ocean View Hotel.

It was indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to thank you for your positive comment about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was fantastic and immaculate, as well as the view from your accommodation. I do also appreciate your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay whom you felt was very polite. I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on to them.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Otto Kurzendorfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have just returned from a five night stay and were very pleased with our choice of city and hotel. We booked this after reading lots of other reviews. It certainly is worth more than the four stars. Our room was a club room on 22nd floor on a half board basis. The room was spacious, very well appointed, even down to the bath robes, slippers, shoe horn, sewing kit, and the rubber duck in the bathroom! The room was cleaned frequently and to a high standard with water, coffee etc replenished, on one day it was done three times - which was greatly appreciated. The room overlooked the beach, palm, and the 24/7 construction site - but we knew this in advanced and with the balcony doors closed could not be heard. The club room gave us access to the Coral (executive) lounge - we had breakfast there each day and enjoyed the tranquil ambience as well as the food choice and quality - we enjoyed the afternoon tea on a couple of days and also the happy hour (free) pre-dinner drinks on a couple of days. We had evening meals in Le Rivarge (which was great), Fogo Vivo (amazing), and also at the Tyme restaurant in the sister hotel, Oasis Beach (fantastic). On another evening we went on the Dhow Dinner cruise (not part of the half board arrangement) - another amazing experience. Access to the beach is badly disrupted by the building work - again we knew this in advance - but is worth making the effort - it's like swimming in a giant hot bath - and a complimentary beach kit completes the picture. The pool is great and has the best active-lifeguards we have ever seen, although some reviewers comment that the pool, and lounger provision, is on the small side. It's easy to get out and about by using the hotel's three different free shuttle services (one goes to the golf hotel beach), the very cheap metro or equally cheap taxis. We haven't mentioned any of the staff by name in case we forget someone, but everyone at the hotel was extremely courteous and helpful and ALWAYS SMILING - and when they said "have a nice day/night" they really meant it. The hotel had been advised that it was our ruby wedding anniversary and placed celebration cakes in our room on arrival and our room attendant had placed the bath towels with one of our cards in the shape of two swans - and everyone who noticed the booking note congratulated us - a very nice touch. Much of the construction/roadwork around the hotel is connected with a new tramway which will enhance access to/from the hotel when completed in 2014. All in all, very happy with our stay at the Ocean View and would happily return if we went back to Dubai.

Room Tip: Choose a club sea view room with access to Coral lounge, and look at shuttle bus schedules - get bus...
2 Thank Ferrymanatnumber2
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Ferrymanatnumber2,

I would like to take this opportunity to wish a belated “Happy Wedding Anniversary!” I was delighted to know that you decided to celebrate this special occasion with us following other traveler’s reviews, and overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Please allow me to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the room which you have kindly mentioned were clean and has a high standard of amenities available, the nice views of Palm, the complimentary shuttle bus service, the swimming pool, as well as the food served in Fogo Vivo and Le Rivage which you felt was amazing. I was also pleased to know that you enjoyed the half-board package which you opted for, and you had the opportunity to access our Coral Lounge. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to visit our sister property.

Your comments with regards to the service that you received from my team, whom you felt was extremely courteous, helpful and always smiling, were very much appreciated. I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

NSW Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I spent months researching hotels in Dubai. I could drive by a hotel and know what the reviews were and the cost. This was the final part of our holiday so I wanted it to be good. I chose this hotel on reviews, position, value and because it was only opened this year. I was right to make the choice. We stayed on the 11th floor which I thought wouldn't be high enough but it was quiet and we got a view of the water and of course the construction and the pool. We chose a standard room which was superb. We didn't need the room bigger it was a great size with a balcony. Better than 5 star hotels in Sydney which I frequent. Elemis products. The best breakfast buffet I have ever had! Only had lunches here as we were out for both dinners. Both superb meals. Pool is lovely but unfortunately busy and not enough chairs. Not enough in the sun. Lots of shady spots to relax in. The lunch service is quite slow, I guess they were busy. The cafe opened 24 hours, has superb food with great service. We ordered a risotto and went back to our room and they called us when it was ready. The staff were friendly some more so. We only had 2 full days here so were advised to do a tour of the city which I ended up leaving and getting a taxi back to hotel. I wouldn't advise this-see my other reviews. The Safari Tour a must do in Dubai. Not a bad tour, 4 wheel driving, not too rough, camel ride, if you want to be led around like a 5 yr old, good dinner, and belly dancer. The Dhow Dinner is a good option. Lots we didn't do due to lack of timing. I loved this hotel but would choose to stay in a different part of town next time. I don't think the construction here will ever end.

Room Tip: All rooms are superb!
3 Thank SunnyDebW
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear SunnyDebW,

It was a great pleasure to read your very detailed review, and I was delighted that you decided to stay with us following other travelers’ positive reviews. I would like to thank you for your kind words about the hotel, the rooms which you have kindly mentioned were superb and in a great size, the swimming pool, the food served during breakfast and lunch, as well as the Elemis products that you enjoyed.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your comments, which allows us continually improve our services across the hotel. Please rest assured that I have shared your comments with our management team.

Your positive comments with regards to my team, whom you felt were friendly, were very much appreciated. I will definitely ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We arrived late to the hotel, after a long journey, the staff were very welcoming, the lady at reception Dirany (sorry if I got it wrong) was fantastic she was cheerfull and always smiling we were checked in quickley and even got the floor we requested she also sorted out some food for us even though the restaurant was closed which was much appreciated. The room was spacious and comfortable. The view was amazing from the balcony their is work going on but we knew this from previous reviews it didnt bother us at all.Breakfast was amazing huge selection their is something for every one. All the staff we came across were always smiling and approachable,they all went out of their way to make our stay that extra special. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone fantastic!!

• Stayed August 2013
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Iqbal H,

I was delighted to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. It was also nice to read your kind words about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was highly recommendable, the rooms which you found to be spacious and comfortable, as well as the selection of food served during breakfast that you enjoyed.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you, whom you felt were welcoming, cheerful and approachable. You have also mentioned some of our associates by name, and I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I am writing this review whilst still in the hotel about to leave on a late flight. From the moment I booked and had any queries answered on Facebook to checking out it has been a great experience. I arrived around 10 pm and was very quickly and efficiently dealt with by Lucy who is great on front desk. I was staying half board with use of the coral lounge. The rooms were beautiful, clean and spacious and as a single traveller more than enough room. On my first full day I used the coral lounge and the girls in here were great. Lillian, Christine and jacqui to name a few. Christine was great always cheerful and jacqui made a fab cocktail. I had my birthday whilst here and not only did I get a cake in my room when I went to le ravage for my evening meal I was given a cake there which was also personalised a lovely touch which brought a tear to my eye.
I must mention the food Fogo Vivo wow wow just go with empty stomach. Le Rivage was nice choices and theme nights. The Deck had great club sandwich and again the staff were fab.
I found the pool area more than adequate for me but I only needed one bed, I did notice a lot of towels on lounges and no people in sight bit of a typical holiday annoyance but not the fault of hotel. I hope when the new buildings are finished they don't interfere with view from pool.
As I was checking out I was given a later check out then complimentary use of a room to get showered and changed. All the staff were very helpful, friendly and could not do enough for you.
The only criticism and a minor one is in the brochure it says you can check in and check out at the coral lounge but that did not happen.
I loved this holiday and hotel and will be back to Dubai and hopefully this hotel. Thank you for everything.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Cath H,

It was indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the room which you have kindly mentioned was beautiful, clean and spacious, the swimming pool, the service that you received from my team, as well as the food served in Fogo Vivo, Le Rivage and The Deck that you enjoyed. I was also pleased to know that you enjoyed the half-board package which you opted for, and you had the opportunity to access our Coral Lounge.

You have also provided us with your feedback and suggestions which is much appreciated, as it allows us to continually improve. I can assure you that the management team and I are now looking into these areas.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you, whom you felt were fabulous, very helpful and friendly. You have also mentioned some of our associates by name, and I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on.

coventry
Reviewed August 24, 2013

we stayed hear two nights on way home from maldives it very good staff went out of there way to be helpfull breakfast buffet was brilliant everything you could wish for if going to dubai or stopover again wouild defienaly stay again

Room Tip: just construction outside causing traffic jams makes taxi more expensive
1 Thank gail d
Dear gail d,

It was indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to thank you for your positive comment with regards to the food served during breakfast which you have kindly mentioned was brilliant. I do also appreciate your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay, and I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on.

Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We did a short stop-over here as part of our honeymoon. We found it very modern, comfortable and friendly. The hotel offered us a free upgrade to half board on booking which was well worth it as Dubai is quite an expensive place! The food in the buffet restaurant was probably the best buffet food I've had- a good variety and quality of food on offer. The only downside is that the restaurant was quite quiet and lacked atmosphere. I'm not sure why this was but the hotel didn't seem very busy at all while we were there.
When we arrived we were greeted by very polite and friendly staff and offered a welcome drink. We were given a choice of room so we chose to stay quite high up. This was worth it for the views as we could see the Palm Island from our window. Sadly the view was spoilt by a lot of building work. The Marina area is still a developing area so it's no surprise there was work going on but we weren't warned it would be going on right outside. As all the rooms look out over the Ocean there was no avoiding this view so we didn't ask to move. The room itself was very nice- well equipped, modern and clean. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. On our first evening, chocolates and champagne were delivered to our room as a honeymoon gift.
While in Dubai, you don't spend a great deal of time in your room as there's so much to see. We weren't there long enough to explore all around but we took a day to go Downtown and walk around Dubai Mall (the biggest mall in the world). At that time of year it's too hot to walk around much outside in the day so in the evening we went outside the mall to see the Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) and watched the Dancing Fountain. We also took an evening walk around the Marina near the hotel one evening which is very impressive and the largest man made marina in the world (not surprising!).
We visited just after Ramadan and I'm glad we didn't go during the month before as of course being a Muslim country the rules are very strict. No eating or drinking is permitted in public and would incur a hefty charge. Being so hot and dry it would be very difficult not to even have a drink so I'm pleased at our timing. When out in public the guidance, for both men and women, is to cover from shoulders to knees out of respect for the culture however some people totally ignore this which is annoying but I still wouldn't disregard this rule personally. So be sure to pack some suitable clothing!
The pool at the hotel is very clean and nice however there's not a lot of shade for the sunbeds apart from down one side of the pool and over the kids' pool. On leaving, the hotel the staff were on hand to take our baggage to store until our car arrived and then carry it to the car when it did.
Dubai is certainly worth a visit and I don't think it really matters where you stay; everything is modern and high standard. I think if was to go back, in terms of positioning I'd rather stay Downtown as it seems more finished than other areas and I preferred the overall look and feel of the area. But, like I say, it doesn't really matter where you are- getting around is easy with monorails and Taxis (which are reasonably priced).

1 Thank Esme458
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Esme458,

It was indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your positive comments about the hotel which you found to be contemporary and comfortable, the rooms which you have kindly mentioned were very nice, well equipped and modern, as well as the bed which you found to be comfortable. I was also pleased to know that you enjoyed the half-board package, as well as the selection and quality of food served at the restaurant.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you, whom you felt were friendly and very polite. I will personally ensure that your compliments are shared with them.