“Confortable stay in a Contemporary Hotel”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #56 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Confortable stay in a Contemporary Hotel”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We did a short stop-over here as part of our honeymoon. We found it very modern, comfortable and friendly. The hotel offered us a free upgrade to half board on booking which was well worth it as Dubai is quite an expensive place! The food in the buffet restaurant was probably the best buffet food I've had- a good variety and quality of food on offer. The only downside is that the restaurant was quite quiet and lacked atmosphere. I'm not sure why this was but the hotel didn't seem very busy at all while we were there.
When we arrived we were greeted by very polite and friendly staff and offered a welcome drink. We were given a choice of room so we chose to stay quite high up. This was worth it for the views as we could see the Palm Island from our window. Sadly the view was spoilt by a lot of building work. The Marina area is still a developing area so it's no surprise there was work going on but we weren't warned it would be going on right outside. As all the rooms look out over the Ocean there was no avoiding this view so we didn't ask to move. The room itself was very nice- well equipped, modern and clean. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. On our first evening, chocolates and champagne were delivered to our room as a honeymoon gift.
While in Dubai, you don't spend a great deal of time in your room as there's so much to see. We weren't there long enough to explore all around but we took a day to go Downtown and walk around Dubai Mall (the biggest mall in the world). At that time of year it's too hot to walk around much outside in the day so in the evening we went outside the mall to see the Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) and watched the Dancing Fountain. We also took an evening walk around the Marina near the hotel one evening which is very impressive and the largest man made marina in the world (not surprising!).
We visited just after Ramadan and I'm glad we didn't go during the month before as of course being a Muslim country the rules are very strict. No eating or drinking is permitted in public and would incur a hefty charge. Being so hot and dry it would be very difficult not to even have a drink so I'm pleased at our timing. When out in public the guidance, for both men and women, is to cover from shoulders to knees out of respect for the culture however some people totally ignore this which is annoying but I still wouldn't disregard this rule personally. So be sure to pack some suitable clothing!
The pool at the hotel is very clean and nice however there's not a lot of shade for the sunbeds apart from down one side of the pool and over the kids' pool. On leaving, the hotel the staff were on hand to take our baggage to store until our car arrived and then carry it to the car when it did.
Dubai is certainly worth a visit and I don't think it really matters where you stay; everything is modern and high standard. I think if was to go back, in terms of positioning I'd rather stay Downtown as it seems more finished than other areas and I preferred the overall look and feel of the area. But, like I say, it doesn't really matter where you are- getting around is easy with monorails and Taxis (which are reasonably priced).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esme458
Otto K, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Esme458,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Ocean View Hotel.

It was indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your positive comments about the hotel which you found to be contemporary and comfortable, the rooms which you have kindly mentioned were very nice, well equipped and modern, as well as the bed which you found to be comfortable. I was also pleased to know that you enjoyed the half-board package, as well as the selection and quality of food served at the restaurant.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you, whom you felt were friendly and very polite. I will personally ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Otto Kurzendorfer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I recently stayed here for 4 nights, we arrived a couple of hours early for check in but our room was ready and we were able to check in straight away instead of having to wait around. Our room was great and spacious and the hotel in general had a nice clean feel to it. The only downside was the construction outside which was causing traffic jams and all through the night all you would hear is cars beeping as traffic would be at a stand still but in saying that I would definitely stay here again. The staff were really friendly and can't fault it in any way!!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Littleleague
Dear littlebubbles,

I was delighted to read your review with regards to your stay with us. I would like to thank you for your positive comments about the hotel which you found to be beautiful, modern and clean, as well as the rooms which you have kindly mentioned were great and spacious. I do also appreciate your kind words with regards to my team who looked after you during stay, and I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

Otto Kurzendorfer
Tauranga
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We've spent four nights at the Ocean View Hotel and it was amazing. We had a club room and enjoyed breakfast, afternoon tea and happy hour in the Coral Lounge. We were blown away by the service and Christine (from the lounge), is the nicest person in hospitality that I've met in any country!
We were here to do a small amount of sight seeing and to relax after a busy couple of months at work - if you were here to do the malls and get out and about then maybe closer to the city is more for you. However, they do a shuttle service to all of the main malls and to their sister hotel for the beach. Can't really fault this place - value for money plus!
Awesome hotel with people who go out of their way to help you. You don't find that in many places these days.

Room Tip: Club room for sure! Lot's of construction, but most of Dubai is under construction! If you get t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oannao
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear oannao,

Please allow me to personally thank you for your positive comment about the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was amazing, awesome and a great value for money. I do also appreciate your kind words with regards to the food served during breakfast in Coral Lounge, the service that you received, as well as the complimentary shuttle bus service. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to visit our sister property which you enjoyed.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you during your stay. You have mentioned associates by name, which I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I, Prem Khemlall, enjoyed my stay at The Ocean View Hotel. I was in room 1911...perfect view.
My experience at the hotel was enhance be the staffs, especially by Ranjendar Bisht. His attentiveness to make me and other guess welcome was impressive.

Madhara,from the Experience Desk is a wealth ok knowledge about the city.

Both of them helped make my experience wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Pkhemlall
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Pkhemlall,

I was delighted to read your candid review with regards to your stay with us. I would like to thank you for your positive comment about the hotel, as well as the rooms which you have kindly mentioned has a perfect view. I do also appreciate your personal acknowledgements with regards to my team who looked after you during stay, and I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights with family (2 adults and 2 children aged 7&5) on half board basis. Wonderful trip, friendly staff, clean hotel , nice food, good gym and kids club. Beach was within walking distance and quiet, hotel supplies towels etc, shuttle service available but taxi's everywhere.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed the trip

• Stayed June 2013
Dear MGRother,

It was indeed a pleasure to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and its amenities, the half board that you opted, the complimentary shuttle bus service, the cleanliness of the hotel, the food, the gym, the CoolZone, as well as the beach access that you enjoyed.

South Africa
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on 12 and 13 July 2013 . We booked two standard ocean view rooms, but was upgraded to two superior rooms with ocean view. This is a beautiful hotel, and we felt so special during the whole time of our stay. The check in went quick. We were a bit early for check in, but the staff went out of their way to check us into our rooms. The room was beautiful in white and bright colours. Very spacious with a beautiful bathroom. Everything was modern and very clean. There was a lovely lady at the guest service desk - Mery - that really went out of her way to make our stay as comfortable as possible, and even arranged for a lovely complimentary breakfast for us, as breakfast was not included in our room rate. The hotel has a lovely pool, and beautiful views. Easy to get taxi's very frequently from the hotel, and the Dubai Marina is walking distance ( but because of the heat, we opted for a taxi.) There is a small supermarket close to the hotel. This was not our first visit to Dubai, but this hotel certainly made it to be our most memorable visit to Dubai. The hotel has access to the beach, and at the pool, your can get towels and beach umbrellas for the beach. The sea water was very warm.

The only downside, and it had nothing to do with the hotel, is that we visited during Ramadan. No food or drinks available during the day at any of the restaurants and shopping malls. If you visit a big mall like Dubai mall, it would have been nice to have a half way through the mall lunch break, and get something to drink.

Will we stay in this hotel again? Absolutely a 100 times YES!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank blackspaniel
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear blackspaniel,

It was lovely to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please allow me to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your positive comments about the hotel which you found to be fantastic and beautiful, the room which you have kindly mentioned was spacious, modern, clean and has a beautiful bathroom, as well as the amenities available at the swimming pool area that you enjoyed.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you and made your stay enjoyable. You have also mentioned some of our associates by name, which I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Arrived at airport-transfer person not there and when found someone had to put own cases in car.Arrived at hotel no welcoming drink that we had paid for and was told couldnt book in till 2 EVEN THOUGH WE PAID FOR IT TO BE READY BY 6.30 AM Reception told us to sit down and then decided to serve someone else complained and finally got our room.Told we couldnt have breakfast as halfboard doesnt start till 2! Had to explain we had coral lounge so with this we could get something to eat.Was then told we had only booked halfboard till da 7/8/13 again incorrect as there till 10/08/13 told it had been sorted but yes you guessed right 7/8/13 had problems at restaurant.Had no hot water for one day as doing maintenance.Meant to be a no smoking in youre room complained 5 TIMES! as neighbour smokingIT TOOK 24 HOURS FOR THEM TO LOOK INTO IT only because I wanted to see the manager face to face as previously told us they were fully booked they then offered to move us at midnight but said we would do following day but nothing was done and when we had previously asked to speak to the manager he was busy but when we said we were going to do a review he was at our door in 10 minutes.Went to have breakfast in the coral lounge on the last day and couldnt as our name taken off! so went downstairs instead complained to manager about food as same everyday chef phoned and appologised and would do feedback to manager yet nothing done .Was also told they didnt do theme nights in restaurant because of Ramadam this is wrong because they should cater for everyone and we go to Dubai every year and this has never happened in a hotel .Good thing about this hotel Coral lounge especially Kristine excellent service.good location the metro only 10 min walk and outside the hotel rows of cheap restaurants so you dont have to do halfboard also lovely Brazillian restaurant inside hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

4 Thank 66secret
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

I was most disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations in some areas of your stay. Please allow me to personally apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced. It is in our best interest to immediately resolve any matters where by our guests are not satisfied, and I can confirm that we are now looking into the areas which you have highlighted, following your recent telephone conversation with one of my management team.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you, whom you felt were excellent. You have also mentioned some of our associates by name, which I will personally ensure that your compliments are passed on.

Despite the above, I do hope that we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in Ocean View Hotel, and once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.