“Wonderful new hotel. Just a few minor issues.”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #63 of 563 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked into this hotel for three nights at the end of February. We really enjoyed our stay here and found the hotel to be a great choice. Very modern and stylish hotel, brand new so all in great condition and very clean. Excellent staff and super service as good as we've experienced in five star hotels. There were some very small issues but overall our stay was great! So, first the positives:

LOCATION:The location of this hotel is excellent, literally right above JBR walk and a stones throw from Dubai Marina. We walked to Marina Mall from the hotel. There's everything you need in even shorter walking distance; restaurants, an exchange bank, Starbucks (right next door), dozens of restaurants and cafes, Boots pharmacy etc.

ROOMS: The rooms are beautiful, very contemporary design, bright and airy. There's complimentary water, tea, coffee and even haribo gummy bears (much to my delight). The TV, internet and phone system are all up to date, well connected and do the job perfectly. All rooms have wonderful views out across the ocean. The bathroom, although a touch small, is well appointed and has great Elemis amenities and a rubber duck you can take home :)

UPGRADED: We were upgraded to club level on arrival but no-one told us if we could use the club level facilities so we didn't. I've since read reviews saying that people did after being upgraded so I'm a bit disappointed that we weren't informed about this. We would have probably liked to have a cup of coffee or something in the club lounge if we'd known. Perhaps the hotel just assume people will try their luck, but we're not the type to do that so for the more courteous guests, the hotel should probably outline what an 'upgrade' includes so they can enjoy the benefits.

Little negatives:

NOISY GUESTS: We were woken up one night by the guests next door at about 1am. They were having a full blown argument. The woman was screaming and crying and the man was yelling at her. It was all in Russian so we couldn't tell exactly what was going on but we could hear just about every word. They were so, so loud!! This went on for more than 30 minutes before we called reception to ask for them to look into it. So, if you're a guest, please note the soundproofing on this hotel is not the best and you may be woken by your neighbours. If you choose to have an argument with your partner, realise that your neighbours will probably be able to hear everything. I'm not sure if the hotel dealt with the problem or not but after about ten more minutes of arguing the couple went quiet. This issue is not really the hotels fault, but more the rude guests that unfortunately seem to be frequenting the hotel. Surely it's common sense not to have a blazing argument in the early hours of the morning!! There's a distinct lack of courtesy from some guests here (noticed also in the public areas) which spoils the overall calibre and vibe a little.

NEARBY CONSTRUCTION: As almost every other reviewer has commented, there is construction going on below the hotel at the beach front. It's actually all the way along JBR and in many areas of Dubai (its a brand new city still under construction after all!). So, it's not only the Ocean view that's affected. If you stay in any of the other hotels (many far more expensive too) along the South West end of JBR walk you'll also overlook this. The noise wasn't a problem for us whatsoever as we were on a high floor, lower floors would have a little disturbance I think. The main issue though is really just the traffic that's created by the road works. Around the hotel is often at a standstill because of traffic lights and HGVs. If you're planning to take a taxi the best thing to do is walk 50m (takes literally a minute) to the main road, past the lights then catch a cab there. You'll avoid sitting in the traffic jam for ten minutes that way.

Can't comment on eating and drinking in the hotel as we dined outside. Favourite place we ate was EauZone, highly recommended for a very romantic dinner. Also try Rivington Grill by Dubai Mall, overlooking the fountain show and Burj khalifa. Amazing bars worth a visit: Jetty Lounge (at One and Only) and Shades Bar (on top of Marina Mall at The Address). Also tried a bar at

OVERALL:
A fab modern hotel, reminiscent of W Hotel design. Great value for money, extremely friendly and helpful staff. Especially the concierge on our last day who stored our bags and helped us to re-pack and organise after our final day shopping. Location, the absolute best value for money if you want a city break. Not the hotel for beach of pool break but you can use the bus to their sister hotel which has a private beach. We would happily stay here again but just hope that we get more thoughtful neighbours and are lucky enough to be upgraded again so we can try the club lounge :)

Room Tip: Construction noise isn't really a problem on high floors. Walk down the street to hop in a tax...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmeliaJayne
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear AmeliaJayne,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the recently opened Ocean View Hotel.

It was indeed a pleasure to read your review, and I am happy to know that you felt the hotel offers very good value for money, and was also modern and stylish.

Please allow me to personally thank you for your positive comments about the internet, the rooms and its amenities, as well as the bathroom which you have kindly mentioned has lovely aromatherapy products available. I would like to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to the hotel’s accessible location. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to visit to our sister property in JA Resort and Hotels which you enjoyed the private beach.

I was sorry to hear of any noise disturbance, as well as to the front desk experienced relating to the upgrade club level facilities which was not correctly communicated. Your welcomed feedback has been shared with our Front Office Manager, and I would like to assure you that this is not a true reflection of our usual high standards.

I also do appreciate your positive comments with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay with us. I will definitely ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,357)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here 14-22 march on half board.Hotel only been open since just before christmas,so everything still pretty new.Nice large rooms with balconies and sea views with lovely modern coloured themes and ample storage space.Excellent restaurants with good selection of food to suit all tastes,with friendly and helpful staff.Hotel close to Metro train station where you can purchase a day ticket for 18 dirhams(3 pounds) and visit various sites including the shopping malls and also Dubai creek for the gold and spice souks or a trip down the creek on one of the little abra boats(great fun) watching the Dhow boats loading there cargos.Lots of shops and restaurants along the walk just outside the hotel,handy if your staying bed and breakfast.New shopping mall under constuction right out front of the hotel so there is obviously some noise,but this affects most hotels in this vicinity and you could be paying a lot more money to be staying in one of those hotels.Request a high floor room to minimise any noise,we were on the 17th floor and with the balcony doors shut we heard nothing and the construction work did not bother us at all.We have been coming to Dubai for many years and have seen it built up over the years and probably will for many more to come.If your on a budget the 4 star Ocean View is a great hotel and is equally as good as most of the 5 star ones available.Great shuttle bus service to sister hotel Jebel Ali for lovely days out right on the beach.I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would definitely use it again on a future visit.Thanks to all at the Ocean View hotel for a most pleasant stay.

Room Tip: High floors for good sea views and less noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank luv2travelsolihull

Dear luv2travelsolihull,

I was extremely pleased to know that you felt our newly opened hotel surpassed your high expectations, by continuously delivering the same service that you have experienced within other JA Resorts & Hotels properties.

It was lovely to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us! Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and its facilities, the complimentary shuttle bus, the rooms which you have kindly mentioned were large, modern and had a sea views. It was nice to know that you had the chance to dine in our restaurants, which you enjoyed the food selection and the taste.

I would also like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to my team whom you felt were helpful and friendly, and I will ensure that these compliments are shared with them.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was a really nice hotel and one to visit when all the building work along the beach is complete. Right now it is a construction sight as ar as you can see from the hotel balcony, and I could not even figure out how to get to the beach. They did ofer a free coach transfer to a partner hotel on the beach where we could go for lunch and relax, and that was great... Fortunately we were only at this hotel for 2 nights enroute to Beijing and on the return we stayed at the Jumeirah Beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Robs_UK
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Robs_UK,

I was pleased to read your kind words about the hotel; however it is with great disappointment to know that we have not met your expectation on this occasion. Please note that there is some further development at “The Walk” being undertaken around the hotel’s vicinity. I would like to personally apologise for any inconvenience you may have had experienced due to the nearby construction noise, which was unfortunately beyond our control.

It was also nice to know that you had the chance to visit our sister property to relax and dine in the restaurants, which you have kindly mentioned was great.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We chose this hotel based on a recommendation from Destinology.co.uk and it exceeded our expectations on absolutely every level. The facilities, the rooms, the breakfast (smoked salmon for me every day) the staff and the service in particular were all excellent. As soon as we checked in we were told we'd been upgraded to Club, what a result! We enjoyed the afternoon tea and especially Happy Hour in the Coral Lounge where Angel looked after us and treated us like royalty. He also gave us a few hints and tips on what to do in Dubai and proved to be an absolute Star. Special mention for Lillian too who couldn't do enough for us also. This Hotel is positioned at the developing end of the city on 'The Walk', however we took taxis or the metro (o.5 miles) to most of the attractions which are both very reasonably priced. The Hotel does offer a daily bus shuffle service to many attractions which is very good. The Brazilian grill was fantastic although cost £120 for 2 with 4 glasses of wine (expect to pay £10 per glass everywhere!). If you're looking for a City break hotel and want attentiveness, cleanliness, responsiveness, great food, facilities and service, then go Ocean View! Excellent trip all round.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views towards the palm but also overlook a low rise cinema development on the bea...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrsmouse44

Dear mrsmouse44,

It was lovely to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us! Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and its facilities, the accommodation, the cleanliness, complimentary shuttle service, the food and the service which you have kindly mentioned were excellent. I was also pleased to read that you had a chance to dine in our very own ‘Coral Lounge’ which you enjoyed.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I love this hotel, from its perfect location, to its service... and mostly the buffet breakfast!!! Rooms are big, super clean, fancy.. it's a bit Miami... but we both loved it. The swimming pool has sun all day, but not the chairs around, so if you are looking for sun, go to the great beach.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 2xelmundo
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear 2xelmundo,

It was lovely to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us! Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel, its facilities as well as the food
and the service which you have kindly mentioned were excellent.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

For me, a return visit to Dubai after 10 years. For my friend, her first time to Dubai. So many changes, we used trip advisor to determine our hotel stay. I chose OVH as it was placed in a part of Dubai new to me. A km or so to the Metro (great exercise); free shuttle bus to various malls and sights; great staff; fabulous international fare at breakfast; lovely bright rooms with a view of the sea that fills the window. And again, great staff! Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from nearby construction but this ould be only a temporary issue.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank 822CarolC822

Dear 822CarolC822,

I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and its facilities as well as the accomodation and the food that you have enjoyed durng your stay with us.

I do also appreciate your personal acknowledgement to my team who looked after you during your stay with us, whom you felt were great at their work. I will ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have been there just for two nights (room 506) and it has been a wonderful staying!
The room was big and super clean and ocean view!!!!
Breakfast is great!There is a nice pool and they bring you to the beach if you want.
it's in front to the Jumeriah Palm

I suggest this hotel if you wanna stay in Dubai

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NicoleMaggio

Dear NicoleMaggio,

It was a pleasure to read your review, and I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and its facilities and the accomodation which you have kindly mentioned were super clean.

I would also like to thank you for your kind words with regards to our breakfast which you thoroughly enjoyed duirng your stay with us.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.