“Lovely Hotel, Perfect Location but loads of building work so noisy.”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #56 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel, Perfect Location but loads of building work so noisy.”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Ocean View. The hotel opened in Dec 12 so the facilities were still brand new. We had a standard room with a sea view (I think all the rooms have a sea view!!) which was a good size, clean, good decor and had a small shaded balcony. Bathroom was adequate with shower in the bath.
The hotel is set at the end of The (JBR) Walk. Literally turn right out of the hotel and there is every restaurant, cafe etc you can imagine. We had half board included for no extra cost but if you have no food included you will not find it hard to find a suitable place for any meal!
The downside is that there is building works going on right below the hotel, another shopping mall I was told!! They seem to have no set timings to build and the noise is horrendous!! I read reviews and asked for a room on a high floor. My email was ignored and we were put on the 7th! After being woken up at 4.30/5am we asked to move and were put on the 21st floor. I'm sure the noise was less on the 21st but you can still hear it and it still woke us up!! The trucks are constantly reversing with those load beeps going constantly and the banging is awful!! It did stop us from sleeping well.
The food was lovely. Breakfast was amazing with every choice possible and great staff. An amazing egg station, breads, cereals, hot buffet breakfast with full English, a curry station, an arab station, salads, fruits and more so once we had finally had enough we found we couldn't eat until dinner time, occasionally walking out for a juice or coffee. Dinner was lovely too. We tried 3 of the restaurants Fogo Vivo, Brazilian, which was lovely. Salads, soup and meat carved fresh at the table for as long and as much as you like! Great restaurant with great staff!! We tried La Rivage which was buffet with loads of choice and then we had dinner at The Deck by the pool which was served to you and was, I think but only just, the best meal we had!
We managed to get an early check in as our flight landed at 8am, we only waited until 11.30.
I used the hair salon which was really good, Alena blow dried my hair really well. I had a massage in the Spa which was very good. The gym is a good size with enough equipment, hardly anyone used it so we had it to our selves most of the time. The pool is small and square. looks nice but shaded most of the day. There is a sun terrace on the 2nd floor with sun beds, quite pleasant with sun but surrounded by buildings and no grass just concrete but serves its purpose!
We had a lovely holiday just didn't sleep well!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor possible!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LoveNiceThings
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear LoveNiceThings,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the recently opened Ocean View Hotel.

I was happy to read that overall you had an overall lovely holiday with us! I was however disappointed to read that you had experienced a noise disturbance due to some further development at “The Walk” being undertaken around the vicinity of the hotel, which is unfortunately beyond our control.

It was great to read your kind words with regards to our very own restaurants that you visited and enjoyed, in particular Fogo Vivo, Le Rivage and The Deck. You have kindly mentioned that the food was lovely, has an amazing breakfast and offered a wide selection.

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding my team who looked after you. I will ensure that these compliments are shared with.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cork
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Loved the hotel, check in was quick and friendly ! The staff we met along the way were very nice.
For some reason asking to take a plate to your rooms seemed to cause all sort of problems !

I had apples and wanted a plate and knife, asking at the restaurant was met with blank looks, and it took almost 30 mins to have room service send them up !
But other than that, it was all great ! Noise a bit loud from bar, and we were on 21st floor !
Went to sister hotel, loved it, very nice beach.

Would stay again, but would ask for higher room again.

Room Tip: Ask for high up rooms, maybe not over the bar !
1 Thank Conkers34
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Conkers34,

It was lovely to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us! Please allow me to personally thank you for your kind words regarding my team whom you felt were very nice.

I was sorry to hear of any noise disturbance, as well as to the service you experienced. Your welcomed feedback has been shared with our Food & Beverage Manager, and I would like to assure you that this is not a true reflection of our usual high standards.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 2, 2013

OCEAN VIEW HOTEL……We stayed in this exceptional brand new hotel during the “February 23-25 2013” with our two children and we loved every minute of it.
"Room " Our room was on floor 15 (with no outside noise not from construction JBR) such an amazing view of the PALM JUMEIRHA and the SEA .we must say thanks that we were upgraded to to 1 BED ROOM SUIT Our room was a good size with leaving area with a huge comfy bed and pillows. The bathroom was big size comfortable with lovely aromatherapy products provided by the hotel. Balcony was awesome. .
Lounge:Good bright reception area nice and very friendly staff we must compliments for their very helpful attitude.specialy Asanka & Juice Front desk Very helpful and polite!
Breakfast in the Le Rivage was the same daily but a good variety on offer it was difficult where to start and lovely tables, .
"Girders Sports Bar " is one of the popular full stock bar in Marina you can enjoy the Happy Hours half price…… Cheers ……
“Beach”‘ Just 7 minute walk (very precise)…crystal clear water …hotel provide you big beach mat with 2 towel
Free shuttles to sister hotels, all malls, souks, and every tourist spot in Dubai. No complaints at all The staff in all areas of the hotel were polite and friendly at all times.
JBR Walk So many restaurant options right outside your door on the walk. This is probably the best location
For those who have complained about construction, it is not the hotel's fault. Also, the ENTIRE Walk has construction. But in a planed way.

We would not hesitate in coming to Ocean View Hotel JBR
"THANKS OCEAN VIEW AND AGODA FOR MEMORABLE HOLIDAY"

4 Thank VikasChhibber
Marc V, Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear VikasChhibber,

It was indeed a pleasure to read your review, and I am happy to know that you felt the hotel was exceptional!

Please allow me to personally thank you for your positive comments about the room, which you have kindly mentioned has a comfortable bed and pillows, as well as the bathroom that has lovely aromatherapy products available.

I was pleased to read that you had the chance to visit some of our restaurants and bars such as Le Rivage and Girders which you enjoyed.

I do also appreciate your personal acknowledgement to my team who looked after you during your stay with us, whom you felt were very friendly, friendly and polite. I will personally ensure that these compliments are passed on to them.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future, and once again thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Ellesmere, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We left after a week with mixed feelings for the Ocean View,the most positive is the attitude and commitment of the staff,we booked a club room with half board including transfers and return flights costing £2620,when arrivied I asked for the club check in and was told they did not have one,which is clearly stated on hotel info etc,I found out shortly afterwards it was opening shortly no big deal we were upgraded to a suite after viewing our room which although new just looked shabby marked bedding, furniture and just did not look or feel clean,I asked the manager to look at the room with me but he said it was not necessary.
Most of rest has already been well reported,what I can not understand is why the food was not hot enough on two occasions we ate in steak resturant and the side dishes were cold!
Yes the pool is in the shade 90% of day but I had read this and I suppose accepted it, the beach few minutes walk your were supplied with towels etc but I did not go on holiday to lie on a mat
Building work yes right infont of the hotel 24/7 inbetween hotel and beach, a new shopping mal,however the noise from car horns bepping again 24/7 from resulting traffic build up due to loacation and road works is awful.
The sports bar Girders on first floor is an experience very busy, very load probably best aviod if you are looking for a relaxing drink! when City scored I could hear the niose on 25 floor,drink prices fair apart from wine.
This report sounds like we did not enjoy my time at Ocean view which is not true perhaps next time we need to spend more money and take in what I read on this site,so not we will not return to this hotel,I have long associated Dubai with luxury and this did not do it for us, at the end of the day the out side recreationaly space is not big enough for a hotel of this size,40 sun beds by the pool were is everybody else going to go although there is rear sun terrace .
Not sure if this is a stop over hotel,buisness hotel or short break venue,well enough of my thoughts but we were well looked after and if I had taken what I had read then I would have stopped else were.

Room Tip: Higher up the better
3 Thank nigel-2004
Dear nigel-2004,

I was delighted to read your review, and your very positive comments about my team who looked after you. You have kindly mentioned that their attitude and commitment was the most positive feeling during your stay with us.

As a newly opened hotel, we value all guest feedback which allows us to continually improve our services across the hotel, and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your positive and constructive comments. Your welcomed feedback has been shared with my management team for their review and to make any necessary changes. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Kent
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and that was too long. Hotel reception and the rooms are the best bit of the hotel. It is in the middle of a building site, Dubai hotels are not cheap and I do not accept that this is Dubai for you (as the so called manager told us) the noise was intolerable could not open balcony door as you were deafened or choked by the dust. The pool is in the shade all day and the sun terrace does not get any sun. Food not very appetising and cold. Staff need to be more customer friendly (apart from Lucy on reception). When we complained staff were not interested and just tried to fob us of with the you are in Dubai line. This hotel is for business travellers and is not suited for families on a relaxing break. Do not stay here if you want to relax and chill out. The hotel has a lot to do to make people return. The manger never offered any apology or tried to make our stay more pleasant, customer service at its worst.

4 Thank mazzaKent
Dear mazzaKent,

I was pleased to read your kind words about the hotel’s reception and the rooms; however it is with great disappointment to know that we have not met your expectation on this occasion.

We value all guest feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services. We do encourage all guests when staying with us to share their feedback on their experience. I would like to sincerely apologise if you felt the associate who looked after you came across in an inappropriate manner when you gave comments about your stay. I can assure you that I take such feedback seriously, and I will personally be looking into the matter.

Once again, I was extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Staffordshire
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Was disappointed with this hotel. It has a bar that has a four hour happy hour but you can't take children into it, not that you would want to when you see how noisy and rough it is. The children's club doesn't yet exist even though the hotel said it would be on when we were there. The pool is completely in shade and overlooks a building site. Plus side are rooms nice and clean food is pretty good if a bit repetitive. But on whole as someone else has mentioned it's a bit like a Novotel in city and should be marketed as an adults only hotel in my opinion certainly not a family hotel. There are much much better hotels in dubai for families and I won't be returning to this one!

Dear Tracey G,

I was delighted to read your review, and your positive comment about the rooms. It was however with great regret I learnt of your disappointment about the hotel. We are currently in the process of developing the CoolZone, our kid’s club, to ensure we offer a quality product to our guests, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your comments.

I have also noted with great disappointment that you will not return to the hotel in the future. I hope that you would reconsider, and should you be returning to Dubai, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

St. Louis
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just enjoyed our first night in Ocean View with my son and wife Brigid. The staff is EXTREMELY nice and helpful. We planned to leave on Sunday, but will extend to Monday. I've personally been to Dubai many times and have to say this is the best hotel for your money. Many of the pictures on tripadvisor do not show how great the location is. It is seconds away in walking distance from other hotels that are double the price. I've stayed in over a hundred hotels in the past ten years and would only write reviews on the best. For those who have complained about construction, it is kind of irrelevant since it is not the hotel's fault. Also, the ENTIRE Walk has construction, so every hotel on the prestigious street will have construction. The rooms are very spacious with a large tv and very nice bathrooms. Balcony is awesome. Many other hotels on this street do not have balconies. Free shuttles to sister hotel, all malls, souqs, and every tourist spot in Dubai.....for free. No complaints at all. So many restaurant options inside the hotel and right outside your door on the walk. This is probably the best location for hip single people and families as well. Well back to enjoying my beverage and listening to the sounds of Dubai on my balcony on floor 13. A follow up review will come later.

4 Thank demarkot
Dear demarkot,

It was nice to know that you have decided to extend your stay with us, and that you feel the hotel offers very good value for money. I would like to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to the hotel’s accessible location, spaciousness of the rooms, as well as the facilities and amenities available in the hotel.

I do appreciate your positive comments with regards to my team whom you felt were extremely nice and helpful. I will ensure that these compliments are shared with them.