“Sixth Dubai Holiday”

Ranked #61 of 550 Hotels in Dubai
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
“Sixth Dubai Holiday”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We left after a week with mixed feelings for the Ocean View,the most positive is the attitude and commitment of the staff,we booked a club room with half board including transfers and return flights costing £2620,when arrivied I asked for the club check in and was told they did not have one,which is clearly stated on hotel info etc,I found out shortly afterwards it was opening shortly no big deal we were upgraded to a suite after viewing our room which although new just looked shabby marked bedding, furniture and just did not look or feel clean,I asked the manager to look at the room with me but he said it was not necessary.
Most of rest has already been well reported,what I can not understand is why the food was not hot enough on two occasions we ate in steak resturant and the side dishes were cold!
Yes the pool is in the shade 90% of day but I had read this and I suppose accepted it, the beach few minutes walk your were supplied with towels etc but I did not go on holiday to lie on a mat
Building work yes right infont of the hotel 24/7 inbetween hotel and beach, a new shopping mal,however the noise from car horns bepping again 24/7 from resulting traffic build up due to loacation and road works is awful.
The sports bar Girders on first floor is an experience very busy, very load probably best aviod if you are looking for a relaxing drink! when City scored I could hear the niose on 25 floor,drink prices fair apart from wine.
This report sounds like we did not enjoy my time at Ocean view which is not true perhaps next time we need to spend more money and take in what I read on this site,so not we will not return to this hotel,I have long associated Dubai with luxury and this did not do it for us, at the end of the day the out side recreationaly space is not big enough for a hotel of this size,40 sun beds by the pool were is everybody else going to go although there is rear sun terrace .
Not sure if this is a stop over hotel,buisness hotel or short break venue,well enough of my thoughts but we were well looked after and if I had taken what I had read then I would have stopped else were.

Room Tip: Higher up the better
3 Thank nigel-2004
Dear nigel-2004,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the recently opened Ocean View Hotel.

I was delighted to read your review, and your very positive comments about my team who looked after you. You have kindly mentioned that their attitude and commitment was the most positive feeling during your stay with us.

As a newly opened hotel, we value all guest feedback which allows us to continually improve our services across the hotel, and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your positive and constructive comments. Your welcomed feedback has been shared with my management team for their review and to make any necessary changes. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and that was too long. Hotel reception and the rooms are the best bit of the hotel. It is in the middle of a building site, Dubai hotels are not cheap and I do not accept that this is Dubai for you (as the so called manager told us) the noise was intolerable could not open balcony door as you were deafened or choked by the dust. The pool is in the shade all day and the sun terrace does not get any sun. Food not very appetising and cold. Staff need to be more customer friendly (apart from Lucy on reception). When we complained staff were not interested and just tried to fob us of with the you are in Dubai line. This hotel is for business travellers and is not suited for families on a relaxing break. Do not stay here if you want to relax and chill out. The hotel has a lot to do to make people return. The manger never offered any apology or tried to make our stay more pleasant, customer service at its worst.

4 Thank mazzaKent
Dear mazzaKent,

I was pleased to read your kind words about the hotel’s reception and the rooms; however it is with great disappointment to know that we have not met your expectation on this occasion.

We value all guest feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services. We do encourage all guests when staying with us to share their feedback on their experience. I would like to sincerely apologise if you felt the associate who looked after you came across in an inappropriate manner when you gave comments about your stay. I can assure you that I take such feedback seriously, and I will personally be looking into the matter.

Once again, I was extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Staffordshire
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Was disappointed with this hotel. It has a bar that has a four hour happy hour but you can't take children into it, not that you would want to when you see how noisy and rough it is. The children's club doesn't yet exist even though the hotel said it would be on when we were there. The pool is completely in shade and overlooks a building site. Plus side are rooms nice and clean food is pretty good if a bit repetitive. But on whole as someone else has mentioned it's a bit like a Novotel in city and should be marketed as an adults only hotel in my opinion certainly not a family hotel. There are much much better hotels in dubai for families and I won't be returning to this one!

Dear Tracey G,

I was delighted to read your review, and your positive comment about the rooms. It was however with great regret I learnt of your disappointment about the hotel. We are currently in the process of developing the CoolZone, our kid’s club, to ensure we offer a quality product to our guests, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your comments.

I have also noted with great disappointment that you will not return to the hotel in the future. I hope that you would reconsider, and should you be returning to Dubai, please do not hesitate to contact myself directly.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

St. Louis
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just enjoyed our first night in Ocean View with my son and wife Brigid. The staff is EXTREMELY nice and helpful. We planned to leave on Sunday, but will extend to Monday. I've personally been to Dubai many times and have to say this is the best hotel for your money. Many of the pictures on tripadvisor do not show how great the location is. It is seconds away in walking distance from other hotels that are double the price. I've stayed in over a hundred hotels in the past ten years and would only write reviews on the best. For those who have complained about construction, it is kind of irrelevant since it is not the hotel's fault. Also, the ENTIRE Walk has construction, so every hotel on the prestigious street will have construction. The rooms are very spacious with a large tv and very nice bathrooms. Balcony is awesome. Many other hotels on this street do not have balconies. Free shuttles to sister hotel, all malls, souqs, and every tourist spot in Dubai.....for free. No complaints at all. So many restaurant options inside the hotel and right outside your door on the walk. This is probably the best location for hip single people and families as well. Well back to enjoying my beverage and listening to the sounds of Dubai on my balcony on floor 13. A follow up review will come later.

4 Thank demarkot
Dear demarkot,

It was nice to know that you have decided to extend your stay with us, and that you feel the hotel offers very good value for money. I would like to personally thank you for your kind words with regards to the hotel’s accessible location, spaciousness of the rooms, as well as the facilities and amenities available in the hotel.

I do appreciate your positive comments with regards to my team whom you felt were extremely nice and helpful. I will ensure that these compliments are shared with them.

Widnes
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Returned yesterday from Dubai after a family wedding. The majority of us including young children stayed in the Ocean View Hotel and we had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautiful and the staff work so hard to keep it clean. The rooms are beautiful. The food is amazing and as I am a vegetarian I was a little worried there would not be much for me but I couldn't have been more wrong. The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough to help you. The only downside is the pool which is in the shade for most of the day and I don't know why it wasn't designed to be on the other side of the building where there was decking with sunbeds. Don't know how they will cope midsummer if they are busy around the pool as there are not many loungers. The beach however is just a short walk away, as are many bars and shops . Didn't see any sign of activities for children though.

We would most certainly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay again. So sad to leave and thanks for a wonderful holiday.

5 Thank Ann H
Dear Ann H,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful holiday whilst staying with us! I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the hotel, the cleanliness, our rooms, the food selection, as well as to my team whom you felt were so friendly and could not do enough to help.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is in a busy area and yep there is a lot of noise and that's without the building work in front of the hotel, for the new beach front discount mall and add to that the traffic noise including noisy motorbikes and those enjoying a few at Girders hotel bar or the Rotana Hotel bar across the road but at least its lively. The beach is a good 10/15 min walk away, the hotel provide you with a big beach mat and towels but if you want quiet and a beach on your doorstep, this hotel not for you, the nearest decent beach is past the Hilton Hotel and through the car park. You can get a shuttle to their sister resort about 15 mins drive away and it is peaceful with good facs but not 5 star, needs updating and the building of the new Jebli Ali Palm spoils the sea view, also a bit of a bun fight when returning on the bus shuttle, hassle you do not need on holiday. Sadly the Ocean View pool is in the shade, a blue glass building next to Sheraton should not have been built as it blocks the sun however compared to pools in Europe eg Canary Islands its warm and opens to 11pm at night. The Ocean Apartments are 15 mins walk away have a pool and jacuzzi, however you have to keep moving sunbeds to get the sun, as it's surrounded by very tall buildings. The best thing about the Ocean View is the front of house and restaurant staff excellent, very friendly with good customer service. The room staff need to be better managed, a few issues which we reported, such as not leaving enough bathroom products or beverage supplies. We are fussy re food and its good but certain foods can be cold, the choice is good however The Brazilian ressy has good meat but veg etc cold again and the wine is expensive £48 a bottle. Girders happy hour on par with UK prices but its a bit of a drinking den. We preferred the Rotana bar happy hour across the road from the Ocean View about £22 for a bottle of wine, fab service, dont even have to pour your on wine. Metro about 15 min walk away and the number 8 bus stops close to hotel and you can travel as far up as the Jumeriah Beach Park. Tons to say about Dubai itself, you definitely need to go there yourself.

3 Thank Escapingisfun
Dear Escapingisfun,

I was pleased to read your review, and I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to my team whom you felt were excellent, very friendly, and have a good customer service. I will ensure to pass on these compliments with them.

As a newly opened hotel, we value all guest feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services, and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your feedback. Your welcomed feedback has been shared with my management team for their review and to make any necessary changes.

Please note that there is some further development at “The Walk” being undertaken around the vicinity of the hotel, which is unfortunately beyond our control and I would like to extend my apologies for any noise disturbance that you may have experienced.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I didn't even check in, so most people would say how can you comment, The Pool deck was on the 3rd floor, it was quite small with few beds that were going to catch the sun. There was another sundeck but with no pool. I was supposed to be half board, there were only 2 restaurants that I could see, one above the other in the lobby. I knew about the building work between the hotel and the beach but what I hated most was that the hotel was on the street, with no gardens whatsover it sort of reminded me of an upmarket novotel in a city centre. It may work for some people who wanted to be central to do nightlife and eat out at other places as I think you would soon get bored with the choice of restaurants, the price was good as well. You can go to the Jebel Ali sister hotel, on the bus for the day. I did move there and have to say it was amazing, I obviously paid a supplement and ended up full board all inclusive, good move as I like my wine.
I have to say they were very good with me as a chain, I arrived at Jebel Ali, explained I wasn't happy they just brought my luggage on the next bus. Jebel Ali was beautiful on the beach 6 restaurants all good, 2 Beach bars, Golf, Spa, Stables, Tennis, Shooting Private Marina and Beautiful Gardens having said all that I did just want a very relaxing time, it is a little far out if you want to do more central Dubai, but there was a hotel shuttle bus. I suppose its what sort of holiday you want.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear JULIA b,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor, which we appreciate all feedback in order to continually improve our services being a recently opened hotel.

I have noted with great disappointment that your visit in the hotel was not being to your expectations in a few areas. I do hope that you will reconsider to stay with us for the future, and I would be happy for you to contact me directly if I can assist you any further.

Ocean View Hotel has a total of six restaurants and bars offering International cuisine. Each of our restaurants has their own unique dining concepts and themes. I can confirm that we have received many very positive comments whereby guests have enjoyed their dining experience with our restaurants and bars.

Despite your disappointment, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.