“First Class (with one blemish)”

JA Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #67 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Have just enjoyed a 7 night break with my wife and teenage daughter at the Ocean View. My eldest daughter had booked this on our behalf (as she lives in Dubai) and was persuaded to go for a 'junior suite' instead of the adjoining bedrooms we were originally interested in.
Unfortunately a 'suite' at the Ocean View is what would be descrbed as a superior room in most other hotels. No seperate living and sleeping area.
Having said this our experience was first class from start to finish. Rooms bright, modern clean & comfortable. Staff couldn't be more helpful particularly Jelena (hope I,ve got that right) who was always on hand in the Coral Lounge etc showing a genuine interest in our wellbeing and the barman Simon who couldn't have been more helpfull and friendly.
If you are looking for a relaxing break in the sun then take advantage of the Jebal Ali Resort fascilities which are superb.
We will be back.

1  Thank canojuice
wpchf, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear canojuice,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the recently opened Ocean View Hotel.

It was lovely to read that overall you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us! I am very happy to know that you considered your experience to be first class. I would like to thank you for your kind words with regards to the room which you have kindly mentioned was bright, modern, clean and comfortable, as well as to my team who looked after you whom you felt were very helpful and friendly.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just got back from our 3. vacation i Dubai. We had booked a week at Ocean View Hotel and was looking forward to a week in the sun.
But the Hotel pool and pooldeck is in the shade all day and the beach is turned into a construction site, with just a small beachfront left !!
2 years ago we stayed at the Hilton just down the beach (300 m from Ocean View) and then there was a buitiful beach, it is sad to see such a big change wich will surely keep some turists away i the future.
However the JA Resorts have a fantastic Resort 20 min away, Jebel Ali Hotel, wich guests from Ocean View can use, so that was what we did the first 3- 4 days, until we disidede that the noise was too mutch and with great help from Jefferson at the front desk and Ann at the Jebel Ali Hotel we change to this FANTASTIC HOTEL.
Many Thanks...
All summed up, if you dont need to lay by the pool/beach all day, The Ocean View is a great Hotel with great value for money, and mind you that most off the 5 star hotels a long THE WALK has the same noise problems but thise hotels we cost you the dubble !!

2  Thank Per J

Dear Per J,

I was delighted to know that you felt the hotel to be fantastic and have a great value for money! We value all guest feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services across the hotel, and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your feedback.

Please note that there is some further development at “The Walk” being undertaken around the vicinity of the hotel, which is unfortunately beyond our control and I would like to extend my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is a brand new hotel and feels very special, the staff are excellent and keen to please. The bedrooms are very good we were upgraded to a superior room on arrival, bed is very comfy, AC is excellent. The food in the hotel is also of a very high standard, for breakfast you can actually get pork bacon and pork sausages, if they send you to the brazillian restaurant for breakfast be aware no pork in this restaurant. You can have a day out at their sister golf resort, you need to put your name down on the free bus the day before, this is a really good day out and very relaxing.
Girders bar in the hotel does have plenty of atmosphere for a hotel bar, and yes you can get a pint of Peroni for 16 d, but only between 4 and 8 each day, and all day Sunday, these are the happy hours.
Yes I would go back to this hotel the only thing that is a bit annoying is the traffic around the hotel, at times it just comes to a stand still. If it does you can walk a little way and get a taxi.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
wpchf, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear CaroleA59,

It was lovely to read your review about the hotel which you felt was very special! I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the facilities and amenities available in your room, the food quality and selection in our restaurants, our sister property, as well as to my team whom you felt were excellent and keen to please. I will ensure that these compliments are shared with them.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel during from 29th January 2013 for eleven nights - great value for a Dubai Hotel and it would probably deserve a 5 Star (not 4 Star) rating in time. However, at present if quietness and undisturbed sleep are a priority then think twice before booking, certainly if you are travelling within the next few months. The Beach front near the Hotel is being developed and heavy equipment work continues well into the early hours of the morning sometime all through the night There are Pile being driven into the ground and the dumper trucks come in convoy and clank down with a very loud noise directly outside the Hotel so if you are on a low to mid floor (like us, we were on floor 9) your sleep will almost certainly be disturbed. The Night Club Girders is extremely noisy and again the sounds especially on a Friday night carry easily to the rooms. There are extensive roadworks in the vicinity of the Hotel for the new Tram line and therefore travel to and from the Hotel is much delayed also because of the roadworks there are no proper pedestrian paths making walking difficult as such you are tempted to jump into a taxi but the Taxi Drivers often refuse any short trips. There is much to like about this Hotel but our time was spoilt by the excessive noise. Many have commented on the shaded pool and this is very true. Staff were mostly friendly and had a desire to help although some of the waiting staff could do with a bit more training on customer interaction.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard G

Dear Richard G,

I was very pleased to know of your generous comments with regards to the hotel’s rating; however, I was sorry to hear of any noise disturbance you had experienced due to the construction projects around the hotel’s vicinity, which is unfortunately beyond our control.

Likewise, your welcomed feedback with regards to Girders has been shared with the Food & Beverage Manager, and I would like to extend my sincere apologies to you for any inconvenience caused.

I was delighted to read your positive comments with regards to my team whom you felt were friendly and had a desire to help. I have noted your feedback and suggestion which allows us to continually improve our services across the hotel, and I would like to assure you that this is not a true reflection of our usual high standards.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

we have just finished an 8 night stay in the hotel after it was recommended by the travel agent. location is excellent however there are construction works ongoing, as with most places in Dubai. we were very disappointed on arrival to find a very small pool with sun only for a couple of hours a day. what we didn't appreciate until later was the option to use the beach at the 5 star sister hotel in Jebel Ali which is a 30 minute bus journey away. Our first experience with this was horrendous as our booking for the bus some 2 days earlier became a place on the waiting list and which led to a delay of an hour in another bus arriving. when we got to the complex though it was worth the wait and would recommend if sunbathing is a requirement that you use this option. The hotel did resolve the shuttle issue however and a nice letter was waiting for us from Ali Quasim a Manager apologising for the inconvenience.
we had booked a club room which was excellent with a lovely view over the palm. Access to the Coral lounge was fabulous for breakfast, afternoon tea and happy hour from 6 to 8. The staff here were very attentive and Lana was sympathetic to our shuttle issues and kindly organised a free taxi to take us there another day when once again we were on a waiting list. I would strongly recommend looking at club room as option as we felt the use of the Coral lounge was a real benefit.
We were half board and to be honest slightly disappointed at some of the restaurant options. The best of these was Thyme, along at the sister hotel Oasis Tower a 15 minute walk away. Not sure if we would do the half board option next time as there are plenty of good options in the vicinity.
Overall lovely hotel and as has been said in earlier comments staff are clearly keen to help in any way they can. Would definitely consider returning after the building work on the new mall is completed. Dubai is a fascinating place to come and one visit probably doesn't give you enough time to do everything.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sam L,

I was delighted to read that you felt the hotel was overall lovely, and the location was excellent. I was however disappointed that you experienced some inconvenience with the shuttle service to our sister property, which further to my understanding was later resolved. I would like to extend my sincere apologies, and I can confirm that this is not a true reflection of our usual high standards.

I would like to thank you for your kind words with regards to your room, the Coral lounge available facilities, as well as to my team who looked after you during your stay with us, whom you felt were always keen to help.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Ocean View Hotel in the near future, and once again thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just had 5 days in the newly opened Ocean View hotel in Dubai. Its in a great position facing Jumeirah beach in amongst the marina streets. Though traffic gets a bit busy here at night.
I stay in Dubai a lot on business and found this place a pleasant surprise. Staff are really friendly , thanks Fitri, Nisantha, Steffin & Laksitha.
Bar is called "Girders" and is greatfully like a bar and not a library as many are in Dubai and the prices are really great at about Dhs 16 a pint during happy hour (or should I say hours !!) .
The best part was the food , really good selection in the dining room and the room service. Try the pumpkin soup with pepper and honey !!
Rooms are large and spotless. All in all its good value for money and nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Gov711

Dear Gov711,

It was nice to read your review, and I am happy to know that you found the hotel to be a pleasant surprise! I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our very own ‘Girders’, the food quality and selection in our restaurants and in-room dining, the size and cleanliness of the rooms, the hotel’s atmosphere and value for money.

I do also appreciate your personal acknowledgement with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay with us, and I can confirm that your compliments have been shared with them.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just returned from 6 days in Dubai. The hotel was offering a half board deal, but unfortunately only club rooms left at an extra £300 charge for our stay. We asked, as we were travelling with our four year old son, if we could all enjoy the benfits of the lounge (ie free snacks/sandwiches/tea/coffee and happy hour with canapes 6-8pm) and were told by our travel agent the hotel had confirmed they would not be able to sell us the room if this were not the case.
So we booked the hotel accordingly.
We were not informed any transfer was included and took the train from airport and a taxi. Was rush hour so train was packed. However the reception at the hotel could not have been more impressive and although normally can not check in until 2, they let us check in straight away at 9.30 and go to breakfast at the club lounge that morning. Rooms brilliantly appointed, fresh fruit, sweeties, lovely beds and a great view from balcony (still lots of constrution on marina but not hotels fault). One minus point ac did not work for two days....
Went to explore pool after a short nap, only to realise the pool would be in the shade all day because of the buildings surrounding it. So we went to a hotel you can use a ten minute walk away, the Oasis, where the pool was a little bit more in the sunshine (but only just).
Dinner was available at six restaurnats in the ocean view hotel, although with a child it was limited to three. We went to Le Rivage which you have to pre book the night before (which is nuts as its buffet and always was half empty). Watch out for the weird Russian singers!
We were told we were not able to have ANY access to the club lounge during 6 and 8 because of our son. We were considerably dissapointed as we have paid the extra £300 thinking we could have a couple of pre dinner drinks and make the most of the canapes etc. Pretty poor show and feel we were a bit mis sold the product, especially as we had asked. I spoke to lovely Lana in Guest experience who eventually agreed this was not really fair, and agreed although not standard we could take a couple of drinks from the club lounge to have in our room each night.But not really on, is it? They did explain it was due to local regulations but they should not advertise these facilities to families if we cannot use them.
The next day we took the 11.10 shuttle to the sister hotel in Jebel Ali. Wonderful pools, beach, ambience. I wish we had stayed there as was so less stressful than the Marina with its cranes and building work. Cannot praise this hotel enough.
Went to Atlantis to waterpark (£100 for all of us ) took a taxi ordered by the hotel then saw later they provide club floors with free transfers there AND to and from the airport - which was never explained to us.
Went to the Brazillian restaurant in hotel one night but was very average to say the least.
Went to take George to the kids club on the last day, to find it hadn't even been opened (probably even built) although had been heavily advertised. I think you can use the kids club at Jebel Ali.
The gym in the hotel was lovely with modern equipment. The pool though constantly in the shade was warm!
Lana, Angel and all the staff in the Club lounge were absolutely charming and could not praise them enough. Lana made sure we got a transfer provided by the hotel to the airport on the last day.
All the staff were trying very hard, its just its a new hotel and as I say its bound to have teething problems. But if I had another opportunity I would stay at Jebel Ali as Dubai is now far too built up, even in the Marina.
By the way the bar, Girders, has very cheap drinks, but can get 'hectic'. Not for faint hearted.

Room Tip: The Club rooms are fantastic but beware of the happy hour rules!!! If you want nice pools/beach take...
2  Thank greathostie
wpchf, General Manager at JA Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear greathostie,

I was pleased to read your review, detailing your recent holiday experience, and I am happy to know that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. As a newly opened hotel, we value all guest feedback, which allows us to continually improve our services, and I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to detail your feedback. Your welcomed feedback has been shared with my management team for their review and to make any necessary changes. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

I have also noted your positive comments with regards to our sister property, as well as to the gym available in the hotel which you have kindly mentioned was lovely and had modern equipment.

I would like to thank you for your personal acknowledgement with regards to my team who looked after you during your stay with us. I will definitely ensure that these compliments are shared with them.