“Nice staff, but smells like smoke”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Capitol Hotel

Capitol Hotel
Ranked #439 of 541 Hotels in Dubai
Vallabh Vidya Nagar
“Nice staff, but smells like smoke”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at the Capitol Hotel because I got bumped off an Emirates flight to India and Emirates put me up there. I smelled stale cigarette smoke the minute I walked in. I asked for a non-smoking room, but they were not able to accommodate me. The room was big and the sheets and towels were clean, but the smell of stale smoke was so strong (and the window could not be opened) that I could hardlly fall asleep! Also, there was some water dripping in the bathroom that spread across the floor in there.

The redeeming feature of this hotel is the so-called coffee shop, which actually is more like a restaurant with a nice little buffet. The servers were really nice and friendly and the food was much better than I had expected. There were tasty soups, lots of salads and fruit, main dishes and desserts. If you get stuck at this hotel, spend your time in the coffee shop and make the most of the buffet!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GajriKesar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our first room was filthy (shavings in the sink and hairs in the bath), and smelt like a teenage boy in Magalluf (lynx and fags). It was on the first floor above the aptly named Savage Garden Club which has an amazing sound system - why visit when you can hear the beats from the comfort of your own bed?
We were kindly moved to the 3rd floor, which was marginally quieter.
We did book this hotel for its rooftop pool, however due to New Year's Eve this area was unusable for 2 of the 3 days of our stay. I gave up trying to sunbathe in the one tiny corner by the kitchen which was not shaded by the tasteful mock Bedouin tent. I clearly was in the way of the various workers and the mix of food, cigarette and solvent smells was no Chanel number 5.
The staff were generally abrupt, unhelpful and rude
So if your thing is dated decor, smelly rooms, clubbing like it's 1989 and hooking up with dubious ladies, being killed by 80's power ballads poolside, then the Capitol Hotel is your ticket to Heaven. If like us you wanted a nice base to explore Dubai and sunbathe poolside, you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank batsabah

Travelers are raving about these Dubai hotels

Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel management agreed to upgrade my room since I wasn't able to change my room to a similar one. I originally had a room that was right under a loud rooftop bar (woke up in the middle of the night wearing earplugs). They were indeed very generous in giving me a suite instead!

In my original review, the room wasn't cleaned very well, so I may have judged harshly. I guess this review counterbalances that one. Just keep in mind that the rooms vary dramatically! Ask in advance whether your room is located near a bar (of which there are two in the hotel).

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank tre_ap8
Bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Superb Night Club. Went with friends and we had the best service and a Russian Rock Bank tearing the place down. While Orgering, the minimum size is a full bottle - if you dont finish - it is labeled and kept for you'. Mr friend was quite a popular . regular there - so we had the luxury of personal body guards minding us. Felt like a VIP

Room Tip: I did not use the rooms but just the night club.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank paddy_m1
Mar del Plata, Argentina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I got there not knowing the place, but I found it pleasant, clean, quiet despite being on a major road. People are nice and the food is good. If you want to stroll around, you will find it within walking distances from several interesting places.
I was alone, but it look very comfortable for families as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Like the previous poster we were sent here by emirates after overbooking our flight. They said it was 5 star, the hotel claims 4 star, 3.5 is generous.
Hotel is tired and shabby. Staff seemed a bit indifferent and the food choice limited. To start with they left our baggage on the street and had to be asked 3 times to bring it in, then we got half another families baggage as well.
We were given a first floor room but the room stank of smoke and after complaining we were moved to the 4th floor and put in a suite, sounds grand but it was also a bit worn out and only half the aircon worked, magnificent view of the dry repair dock and shipyard workers accomodation. The pool area was also worn and the water was very warm. There is evidence that the pool water is encroaching on the atrium roof. You also have to pay to use WiFi. My Advice go McDonalds the foods better, cheaper and free wifi! Though you will miss out on the German influenced Japanese schoolgirl outfits worn by the waitresses.
On check out another comedy of errors, no breakfast as we had just checked out on their system, sorted after complaining but wish we hadn't bothered as we didn't touch it. The bus boy forgot to collect our bags and the concierge didn't bother to tell us the hotel transport to the airport had arrived. After chasing both we finally left after a half hour wait.
Had we been paying, we would have checked out on arrival. Should emirates try to put us here again, I would demand another hotel

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was disposed of at this hotel thanks to emirates overbooking flights. I was told that all Hotels that they use to cater for their customers in this position were 5 star but this certainly was not even close. It says 4 star on the door but even that is not accurate. It is a 2-3 star, basic hotel. Good points it has friendly porters and waitresses in the Atrium buffet, despite their bizare attire and the view from the rooftop of the Burj Khalifa is nice. Bad points would have to be the buffet as all of the people in the same position as me complained about the food, but to the hotels credit for the evening meal they allowed us to choose from the al a carte menu to a credit value of 60dirhams. Then there is the music, I complained to reception at 11.30pm when woken and was told that this noise would go on until 3am. As I had to be up at 5am I got no sleep at all as I couldn't get back to sleep, others moved rooms but it was still very loud. There is some seating on the roof but the pool and surrounding area was tired and shabby like the rest of the hotel. Faced with a choice of staying their or sleeping at the airport I would choose the airport as it's quieter.

Room Tip: just ask for a quiet room away from the music
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo