“Not good”

Ranked #196 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not good”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were given a room which was of poor hygiene and stank of dampness and smoke. Although the manager moved us to another room which was slightly better we decided to move out and find altenative accommodation the next day

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank John P
Metropolitan Pa... M, Manager at Carlton Palace Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Metropolitan Palace Hotel!

First of all, I want to tell you sorry that you had to change your room while you were at the hotel. We as a team are doing our best and we always considering your request to meet our guest's satisfactions.

For any issues, I am always available to help you and will be my pleasure to serve you.

Hope to see you and welcoming you again soon.

Best wishes,
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cymru
Reviewed January 6, 2013

About a 5 minute walk from the metro through back streets, I would advise getting a taxi from the airport on arrival,reasonably priced fixed rate fare so that you can get your bearings of the city. We returned to the airport by metro,very simple and well signed.
Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Assisted in printing off boarding passes with no charge.
Slight minus was that the sauna/steam room changing area felt a bit claustrophobic when compared to the other facilities on offer at the hotel.
Good reasonably priced food at rooftop/poolside restaurant.

Room Tip: 10th floor executive room was excellent,not a great veiw but quite large. Lift ride to the top gives...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank organ254

Thank you for staying at the Metropolitan Palace Hotel!

We truly appreciates your effort of giving us your feedback. I am glad that you found our hotel lovely despite of few things that you feel its unwell.

We are hoping to see you and welcoming you again in the near future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were 4 families, stayed for 2 days to see Dubai. The hotel is easily reachable. Near to the airport. We had booked the rooms through booking.com. Check in took slightly more time than what was necessary. Rooms were reasonably big and well furnished. Neat and Clean.
Nice staff. Hotel is reasonably priced.

Good location, taxis are easily available, Giggco metro is 10 min walk. You can spend time walking/ sitting in restaurants in that area even at late night.

Enough restaurants in and around, for Indians, a good restaurant is in the adjacent bldg itself.

While swimming in the pool, one of my relatives along with his son stranded into the deep zone. Withing fraction of a second, the life guard jumped into the pool and pushed them to the shallow area.

Jacuzi and steam bath facilities are good and available till 11:00 pm.

Overall it was a nice experience staying there.

Room Tip: Rooms are fine, reasonably big.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NAJI2002

Thank you for staying at the Metropolitan Palace Hotel!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family. We assuring you the best attention and service at all times as a complete satisfaction is our goal at Metropolitan Palace Hotel.

We look forward to serve and welcoming you again.

Best wishes,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I called ahead of my trip from the USA to make sure they held the room for late arrival - at that time I asked for smoke free room and was assured I would get one. However, upon arrival I was given a room that stank of cigarette smoke. Also, the street traffic noise could be heard from the room. Next day they did change my room, but my 1st night experience was not so good. Friendly staff. Dining good.

Room Tip: Call ahead for smoke free and a room that does not over look the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I missed my flight in Dubai due to a late departure on the first leg. Emirates put me in this hotel for the night. Therefore, I did not pay for this room. I was only at the hotel for 12 hours.

The good:
Close to the airport. Big rooms and comfy beds. Huge breakfast buffet with a big selection of foods, very nicely arranged. A feast for the palate and the eyes! When I objected to paying for internet (because I wasn't there by choice and needed to notify my family), I got a password for the club lounge WiFi. My airport pickup was already booked. I also got a wake-up call 45 minutes beforehand without having to ask.

The bad:
Internet costs extra. It's nearly 2013, I feel this is not justified anymore, especially not in a 5* hotel. Also, I wasn't there because I wanted to. I missed my flight and Emirates was providing a room. Then I have to pay for internet to notify my family that I missed my flight? A good solution was found, thanks to the staff.
For a hotel that is used to place business class travelers that miss connections (and don't have their luggage), the amenities were a bit limited. There was a toothbrush and shaving kit, but no deodorant, after shave or cologne. Nothing in the way of make-up for female travelers.

The ugly:
The room was freezing cold. The AC was set to "shivering". Even when I switched the AC off completely, it was pretty chilly in the room.
My room was very loud. There was some generator or AC unit just outside and the room reverberated all night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Turicus
Athens, Greece
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We booked this hotel as a 5 Star hotel with a bargain price. When we arrived it was very early so we had to wait some hours to enter to our room. The hotel is the same as it is shown in photos. It looks luxurius and I think some parts of it are some others not. A friendly advise. Go to the hotel from the airport (which is very near) by taxi. It costs 30 Dhm. The shuttle bus of the hotel is 80 Dhm if the dont forget you and answer your e-mail. This was the only black spot of the staff!!!

The hotel is placed in the area of Deira. A very good place with everything near it especially the banks and the metro station which is very usefull because most of the sightseings and the beach are very far.

The staff was always friendly and helpful for everything. Especially the staff of the restaurant that serves also the breakfast, the tour desk and the pool staff!!!

We were given a spacious room in the second floor. The room was nice and big. I was not surpriced by the bathroom. Not 5 star also. Also the music of the bar was till 3 o'clock. I dont have problem, i can sleep very easy but is unacceptable for such a hotel to listen the strong music inside the rooms.

The pool was nice but old-furnished and not so well decorated and cared by the owner. The spa facilities were so and so.

Some other major bad spots were, first and i think the biggest that the WI-FI is chargable...This is ridiculous, we mentioned this many times but they said thats a policy. Is the first time in my life that i see this. In 2012, in a 5 star hotel the wi-fi to be chargable. Even in poor countries and in cafes and taverns the wi-fi is free!!! Some other black spots and unacceptable things were the plastic plants. Plastic plants in 5 star hotel??? The smell on the second flour rooms from the fountain, smell from Chlorine. Finally an unacceptable thing for a 5 star hotel was the appearance of many so-called ''joint girls'' in the lobby and the reception. We didnt bother actually about this...but the thing is that is a hotel also for families. By the way we faced this in many places in Dubai.

Special Thanks to the Staff for the complimentary cake for my Birthday!!!

The staff made actually the place. Most of the things need to be observed again.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better for the noise and smell!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tas G
Reviewed December 20, 2012

One of the best hotel I stayed in dubai..reliable price n exellent service..most important thing I have to mention is the location in which the hotel is located.. easy assessible to all the places in dubai n the transportation services also very near by..I enjoyes my stay here with my family..thanks for the metropolitan palace staff to make our stay a memeorable days..

• Stayed November 2012