“Nice hotel with foxy concierge” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palace at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai

The Palace at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai
Ranked #13 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
Istanbul, Turkey
“Nice hotel with foxy concierge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

You can stay at this luxurious hotel but be careful with the concierge as they might take advantage of you as it happened to us in the case of an off-hotel excursion.

Last March we went to O&O Dubai - Palace section on a Sunday. We had already our local excursion plan including individual jeep safari for Thursday yet the concierge strongly suggested us to change our plan to Tuesday instead. He said weather would be much better and we followed his advice. That night I could not sleep well because I had coughing/breathing problems and went very early around to have some coffee. There I read in the local news that a sandstorm was in progress and people with breathing problems were asked to remain indoors. The worst weather would be on Tuesday and conditions were expected to be greatly improving by Thursday. The article clearly explained the dynamics of the weather pattern including its slow and predictable path so this was not a random or little known meteorological event.

Then I visited the concierge and asked why he made us cancel our trip day that coincided with very good weather and offered the worst day. I suspected that he was trying to fill-in Safari slots cancelled because of bad weather. He was very embarrassed and said we could change the dates. So we did.

On Thursday we had a full-day jeep safari costing us 1000 dollars but we were treated very rude and did receive substandard service. The weather was very nice. I am guessing the tour company (we were said Arabian Adventures but a company called Delta came) underpaid or did not pay our guide because of the reservations change so he somehow blamed us for a potential pay dispute.

Back at the hotel I complained about this but noone listened. There is a probably a pay-back system between tour companies and hotel employees and we were in the blind spot. Otherwise, you do not need to be a five start hotel when a client with breathing problems asks why he is offered the worst day for Jeep Safari, why he and his wife is treated very rude for their reservations change and why it is not possible that client is unable to file a kind and short complaint. We simply asked for an apology and did not get it, instead they were telling us that some people who were paying 25,000 dollars for a special tent were getting good service !

(Note we could book two ways, pay to the hotel with a 5% surcharge or pay cash directly to the company. It was our mistake not to pay to the hotel)

Other than that, the hotel and the service was flawless. I am unable to give five stars simply because of this incident and especially because of how the hotel handled it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PaporilloXone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a terrific hotel on a lovely private beach with quiet areas where guests can enjoy a restful holiday. From start to finish all the staff are helpful, charming and courteous which begins the minute you walk into the impressive entrance and doesn't end till your holiday Is over. There are several very good and quite different restaurants and bars where you can ring the changes. The beach bar has a great location although the food doesn't quite match the quality in the other restaurants. It is a large complex with 3 hotels on one site but there is a regular transport service between venues for those who feel lazy and don't want to walk.
There is is an adults only pool which is particularly good for those older guests who want to get away from it all and enjoy peace and quiet away from children which is a definite plus for my husband and myself. It is apparent that many of the guests are repeat bookings and the hotel has a dedicated following which is entirely justified and we will be going back.

Room Tip: If you require peace and quiet request a room near the adult pool and one of the upper floors so you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Vanessa275
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We are currently staying at the hotel, and after hearing about it from friends, I was very excited to stay here.
The check in time is 2pm and they didn't give us our rooms till 4.30pm, meaning we lost a whole day by the pool! And they did nothing to compensate us!
The rooms are slightly outdated, the food in the cafes and restaurants awful and the staff just so rude an unattentive. I am currently sitting by the pool in old, rusty worn out deck chairs, begging and searching for someone for a drink and a fresh towel!

Definitely not a five star hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NRGO
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Here is the second report about my vocations in Dubai in October.
The last time at Al Qasr was that great, that I came back a half year later.
I wanted to try a new hotel so I ve choosen the one and only Royal Mirage.
Why did I went there, well the Jumeirah Beach was really great, with this hotel I was located on side of the Palm. Important for me was, that the Hotel is build with the arabic style, cause there are not many things remember to arabic culture at Dubai.
The Hotel stuff is very "western" and all the culture rules are not present in Dubai.

Again I arrived at the airport and the driver was allready waiting for me and welcomed me at dubai.
In the hotel they told me that my room will be prepared in some minutes, and they would like to offer me a tea and some little mignardises in the lounge, until I can check in my room.
So I was allready smilling and feeld me welcomed.
My room was superb. I had a Superior-Executive Suit in the secrion calles The Palace. The light was shining from outside thrue all the rooms in the suite.
The Hygien was very good, no demolitions and no Hairs at the ground. (I hate hairs on the ground, so disgusting)

The pool is very beautiful and there were a big one and some more smaller arround the hotel.

Sport activities were availlabel, but I just went for swimming in the ocean at the very cleaned beach. I had everytime a chair so no need to stress to hhave a chair.

The food in the "french touched" restaurant was very delicous, and the grill restaurant aswell.

At the end I have to say it s a great Hotel.
Compared with the Al Qasr it got s no chance. The Al Qasr is more exclusive, but if it s too expansive you should go to the One and Only Royal Mirage. Fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Superior-Executive-Suite is excellent
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank S_Mastel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. The grounds around it are amazing. The view from the beach is not what I was expecting. You're looking right at brick buildings of the Palm (especially true at the beach of Arabian Court). But fair enough, this is not something the hotel can change. The restaurants are great and the food is good. Service was good, even though the service on the beach could be improved. The rooms are large and have a nice terrace. All in all it is a beautiful hotel!

BUT: I need internet for my work, and I do not accept that a 5* hotel charges ridiculous amounts for a service that ought to be free of charge in a hotel with room rates starting at $1000. The Holiday Inn and Ibis, that charge one tenth of the room rate even offer free wifi. We were a group with three rooms, so we had to purchase the internet access three times. I will not return to this hotel, or any One&Only for that matter until the company decides it will show some respect for its customers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tavv160
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

A beautiful hotel with great service and the perfect way to spend a relaxing week in glorious sunshine.

If you need an antidote to British winter then this is the place. A relatively short flight from the UK, guaranteed sunshine and no need to do anything for a week as you are truly taken care of!

Particular highlights - leisurely breakfast & dinner at celebrities restaurant, massages at the spa and smoothies on the beach. Boat transfer and dinner at sister hotel one & only the palm also excellent.

Usually travel to islands in Asia at this time of year but Dubai and the royal mirage was a real treat and will definitely be repeated!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Geordierah
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

the hotel is very nice , the people very friendly and service is what you expect for this range of hotel . however you need a bicycle , I had a room on the right wing and to go there is like a labyrinth of 150 M!
restaurants are good , special mention for the bar with the sunset , very clouded and fashion .
I have tried many hotels in Dubai , I will come back to this one , swimming pool and beach are perfect . the hotel is near the private port and you have a lot of restaurant there ( budha bar etc ).
a special + for the limo service of the hotel .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business