“need a bicycle !”

Ranked #8 of 549 Hotels in Dubai
Paris, France
“need a bicycle !”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

the hotel is very nice , the people very friendly and service is what you expect for this range of hotel . however you need a bicycle , I had a room on the right wing and to go there is like a labyrinth of 150 M!
restaurants are good , special mention for the bar with the sunset , very clouded and fashion .
I have tried many hotels in Dubai , I will come back to this one , swimming pool and beach are perfect . the hotel is near the private port and you have a lot of restaurant there ( budha bar etc ).
a special + for the limo service of the hotel .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tlen9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently returned from a 5 day stay at the O&O Royal Mirage in Dubai with my two year old son. I booked this trip via a travel agency with flights, half board etc included. The total cost of the trip was probably the best thing about it. It was a fairly good deal as I normally book directly with resorts that average 1000 euros a night, not including flights, food etc. But thats where the difference in the level of service comes into play. Our arrival was one of the highlights of the trip as we were met by a woman who ushered us through immigrations and straight into a waiting luxury car which drove us to the resort. Unfortunately, the service went down hill from there. The greeting at the hotel was chaotic with one person asking for passports and credit card and disappearing for a while and then finally a different person showing up to escort us to our rooms. The walk to the rooms is exceeding long as it is a rather large resort. We we dropped off in our room and the man then disappeared without giving us any sort of introduction to the room, where light switches were etc and this first impression completely lacked a personal touch.
The hotel was fully booked at the time so getting reservations at any of the restaurants on the hotel grounds proved difficult. I ended up ordering room service nearly every night to avoid the crowds. The food was average and inconsistent. I ordered a chicken dish one night which was fairly tasty but the next time I ordered it, it was so dry and bland I couldn't even eat it. There were always mistakes on the order with some item or other missing. The beach grill was one restaurant I tried for lunch with was fairly good but extremely expensive! We tried the Olives buffet once for dinner but found the food to be pretty awful especially since this supposedly a 5 star resort.
One thing I noticed was the smoking everywhere in the hotel. The rooms are technically non-smoking but the smoke would come out from the under the doors and permeate the halls and even started to creep into my room. I complained to the management about this but they said there was little they could do about it except to try and air the halls out.
The grounds themselves are quite expansive and nicely laid out with easy beach access. As the hotel was so packed, getting a lounger on the beach proved challenging but the beach staff were always helpful with this and would bringing water, drinks, towels etc upon request.
As this resort is so large it really lacked the personal touch. Being greeted by one of the managers and welcomed to the hotel are little things which make a difference.
The room itself was completely average with no extras such as iPod docks or Nespresso machines, just the usual overpriced minibar. The hotel also charged for Wifi which I find to be a bit annoying since we all know how little it costs the hotel.
I think I would have enjoyed this hotel more if I knew what to expect in terms of service etc but as it is a One & Only, I expected a lot more and in my opinion, it fell short.

Room Tip: If traveling with a young child, I'd recommend a ground floor room with direct access to the out...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Londonite79
Horsham
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The service was the differentiating factor, it was exceptional and incredibly consistent. All staff engaged with you naturally and made you feel special. As for the environment - the pool and gardens were beautiful, poolside staff were friendly and helpful and the sunbeds extremely comfortable. We stayed on a half board basis and it was great to be able to go between The Palace and The Arabian Court to have variety for dining. This is a really special place and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny T
Manchester
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our second visit to O&ORM the Palace so our expectations were high. I had emailed ahead to ask for a top floor room to the west of the complex - we got fourth floor on the east! I expected perhaps some flowers, biscuits, maybe a bottle of fizz! to welcome returning guests - nothing. Everyone was friendly and pleasant and nothing was too much trouble, and the service was excellent overall. The room itself was very good, so no actual complaints except one - NO FREE WIFI. Really O & O, join the 21st century, most hotels these days offer free wifi access. Note to readers - £5 for six hours, £30 for a day and £60 for five days.

The HB option dine around had changed slightly for the better, as had the menu at Celebrities which was a definite change for the better, and we had at least three meals there, all excellent except for one souffle which was frozen in the centre. This told me two things 1) The souffle was not prepared fresh and 2) It had not been cooked thoroughly. Otherwise, as I said excellent - recommend the duck and the rack of lamb! No creme brulee on the menu though which was disappointing for a French restaurant.

The Beach Bar restaurant was fabulous and we were looked after so well by Widad at the desk who made sure we got a good table. The food was terrific and would recommend the surf and turf - lobster and steak, but not the pistachio creme brulee - too big, too green (!) and the sugar on top had not been sufficiently caramelised, it is after all a 'brulee'!

Breakfasts were a bit hit and miss in terms of speed of service at Celebrities, but that was about staffing, not the waiters themselves, so thanks to Lenin (sic), Binu and Sunil for a great job, and also Angel on the desk for her friendly, welcoming smile. The head chef came out to talk to some French friends and stopped to chat to us, which was a nice touch - my partner thereafter had crepes for breakfast every morning - not on the menu, but chef said that he could provide anything, just ask, so we did, and he provided!

The buffet at Olives was good but tended to be luke warm, but the cuts of meat were good and the lobster large! Again, this is an Italian themed restaurant, yet does not have gelatto as a dessert! Bit of a scrum sometimes around the food station which is a bit small. Service, as ever was good though.

All drinks were stunningly expensive with Veuve champagne £35 a glass! as an example. If they reduced their prices they would actually sell a lot more. And in the shop off Reception, a tube of Pringles will knock you back 53 AED - £10! Bonkers!

We tended to sit around the green to sunbathe and were well served by Shrikant who, we discovered, is a fellow Gooner, so we had plenty to talk about as Arsenal had just been knocked out of the FA cup, and next week face Bayern, so are looking at being knocked out of the Champions League too! The water situation should be overhauled as it is not frequent enough, if it wasn't for us bringing bottles down from the room, it would have been very uncomfortable in 36 degrees of sun. The cold, fresh fruit kebabs AM and PM were very welcome!

I swam each morning despite the notice saying the pool was closed, but no one interrupted me, so thanks for that, it was much appreciated. I went to the gym a few times in the evening too. It is very small but the equipment is of a good standard, but once a couple of you are in there, it gets cramped very quickly.

Overall we had a fabulous holiday and would return despite the few niggles above - they're not deal breakers and some are easily resolved like the wifi and water issues.

Room Tip: As last year - a top floor guarantees a view otherwise all you get is trees and foliage!
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PJT13
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at the Palace from 3rd to the 10th of March. It was our second time to Dubai but the first time at this property. We had a wonderful week of rest, relaxtion great food and service. We've have had a number of great holidays in different places and hotels so the Palace had a lot to live up to as our expections are high and this hotel didn't disappoint us. We were staying in the gold club which i can't recommend enough and this was a real bouns, the afternoon tea and drinks and canapes in the evening were a nice touch but the best thing about the gold club was the service from Agnelo and Mervin on Reception, they took care of our every need, Restaurant reservations, Spa bookings, taxi's, tickets to attractions (they gave us free tickets to Aquaventure) their service was friendly and professional, nothing was to much trouble.
The hotel is beautiful and well maintianed, we spent most of our days around the pool were glasses of water were constantly topped up for us, the lads around the pool are friendly and work very hard to make sure your happy and comfortable. Including cleaning your sunglasses and providing fresh fruit kebabs.
There are a number of great restaurants to choose from and we tried most of them, our favourite was Nina a contemporary indian - for the food, but our favourite for service and atmosphere had to be Tangine the Morrocan. We had breakfast every morning in Olives and found there to be plenty of choice, including pork bacon and sausage wich was a nice suprise as we wasn't expecting that (being in the UAE). We also realy liked the flexibility of eating at Olives for the evening meal as it is more relaxed than some of the other restaurants and there was always a great selection of food. We had lunch at the pool bar which was just ok, nothing special. It just serves very light snacks and salads. We much preferred to eat lunch outside at The Dinning Room (part of the residence and spa) where the food, service and surroundings are delightful. On a whole all of the resturants and food are great.
The hotel is set in beautiful landscaped gardens and is in fantastic condition. I believe that they undertake an extensive maintenance program each summer and it shows! Even though there are quite alot of rooms, the grounds are so large that it is possible to find a quiet area to sun bathe and relax. All of the rooms have nice garden and sea views.
The only drawbacks of this hotel were the charge for the wi-fi as it was very expensive, especially when most hotels these days offer it for free, also the connection was intermittent and not particualy fast which you wouldn't mind if you was getting it for free but when you are paying for it, it can be annoying. Especially for my husbad who has to still work while he his on holiday and purposely picks resorts and hotels that allow him to continue his business. The hotel we previously stayed at had Apple T.V sytems which were amazing which allowed him to do his work from the T.V. Also it would be nice if you could check your details, room bill and any reservations daily from your T.V, a facility we first came across in a hotel in New York 10 years ago and have seen in many hotels since. Secondly we also missed having tea and coffee facilities in our room, something that we now take for granted when staying in hotels, I have to say I think this is the only hotel we've been to were we haven't had this. I really missed not having a coffee on waking up before getting ready to go down to breakfast and also when coming back to the room from a day in the sun. Again the previous 3 hotels we've stayed in have had complementary Nesspresso machines, I dont expect a Nesspresso machine but I do a kettle.
I know people have complained about the hotel being expensive, but we thought it was reasonable considering it was Dubai were everything is expensive apart from taxis. The best thing about this hotel is the staff, every member we came across was a pleasure and took pride in their job and they are the reason we cant wait to come back to this hotel. I will definately recommend the Palace to friends and family especially the Gold Club and I know we will be definately be back. Thank you for a wonderful holiday!

Room Tip: Book a Gold Club room.
1 Thank Ali84Lancashire
wokingham
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Wow! My wife and I have stayed in some lovely hotels in some lovely locations, but this was perfect in every way. It’s very difficult to describe as it feels like a small, private hotel with personal service, but yet it’s not. I have a food allergy and each restaurant prepared my food from scratch including the sources, nothing was too much trouble. The boat show was on while we were there and the hotel offered a complimentary shuttle on a stunning boat where again we were given personal service, but this time by the managing director. The only reason I can imagine anyone would give a negative review would be the fear that the hotel will start charging what it’s worth. Stunning!

Room Tip: We found the ground floor near room 113 was a very good location
2 Thank dtoe H