“Most likely the worst hotel in Dubai”

Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel
Ranked #98 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“Most likely the worst hotel in Dubai”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Don't take the complimentary wifi on your booking as a given... As on first arrival it is for one device per booking. Even though the free collection from the airport and breakfast was for two people.

Even with the one device it doesn't stay connected to the wireless for any longer than 10 minutes.

The staff.... Any query at all they disappear into a back room for 10 minutes no doubt in anticipation that you will get frustrated and give up.

Concierge also likes to hang up on clients also.

My first time posting a review about anything but this has to be shared. Not a 5* hotel.

Room Tip: Tip for a better room... Make sure it's the one you book.. On arrival we were offloaded into a l...
1 Thank Brendy53
HabtoorGrand, Manager at Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your recent review about our property.

We would like to assure you that your comments are not being unnoticed.

In regards to the WIFI charges , please be informed that we compare our pricing with main hotels of Dubai and the majority are charging for this service.

Many of our packages include free WIFI for one device as you rightly said , our management is currently reviewing if this limitation can be changed.

Also would like to take the chance to inform all readers of our webpage that we always match the original room type booked , never the less please inquire about upgrading your booking to the next category upon arrival as we have many great deals for last minute changes.

Director Of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Having visited Dubai twice before we were excited to be visiting again on our way home from the maldives. The Habtoor Grand was recommended by our travel agent as a classy 5 star hotel in a good area.
Previously we have stayed at Atlantis The Palm and this time regretted having not done so again.
We arrived at habtoor Grand at 3am and were greeted by hoardes of drunken rowdy people exiting the hotel club (they have to come upstairs and right through the hotel foyer to get out) this really didnt get things off to a great start.
We had a Tower Sea view room which was "nice" but very tired and in need of some serious updating!
The following morning we went down to breakfast at around 9am only to be greeted by what i would describe as " a chimps tea party" It was a fight to get from our table to anywhere near the buffet breakfast, akin to trying to cross the M25 at rush hour !!! It was the same every morning and i have to say this really wound me up for the day ahead !!
We found the staff to be generally unhelpful and the hotel on a whole to be rather poor quality and in need of more than just a lick of paint.
The pool area was likened to "Benidorm" in high season...not at all good and again the surrounding area in need of a makeover.
The biggest rip off was the daily £20 charge for Wifi for each item connected!!! Free wifi in my mind should be standard at all 5 star hotels but to charge this amount was ridiculous .
We will go to Dubai again as we love it but will NOT be staying at this hotel !

Room Tip: just dont go !!
2 Thank Stuart R
HabtoorGrand, Manager at Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your recent experience in Habtoor Grand.

Regarding the WIFI charges , please be aware that we are reviewing all the similar 5* hotels on quarterly basis and would like to confirm that the majority are still collecting fees for this service.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations and hope that you give us another chance where we can assure you of our best service and attention.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a case of false advertising - a 5 star!!!! more like 2 star.
The hotel is from the 1960s in it's decor.
The staff are rude at check in - no smile, no welcome, no warmth - a sure sign that the hotel is a million miles from 5 star.
The rooms are something from a the 60s - gaudy colours, dirty showers, tacky tiles. I knew it was bad when on arrival there's smelly fruit in the bowl in the room. This rotting stayed with us for 8 nights - no attention to detail to remove from the room.
The staff are not the brightest and can be downright rude on occasions.
The food at breakfast in inedible - truly awful. even though we had breakfast included - we skipped it every day because i'd rather eat my toenails than that.
The pool is like santa ponsa on acid - overcrowded and not a place you could ever relax at. The beach was the best - probably as it was as far from the hotel as possible.
Internet access was expensive and restricted to one device, rather than room, which is unhelpful.
The staff in the majority would walk past you in the corridors, without a hello, goodnight etc. - a good sign that a hotel isn't concerned about it's customers.
Overall, I'd never go near the hotel again with a barge pole - it' s unusual to find such a poor hotel in Dubai - but this takes the biscuit - truly a dreadful waste of money.
Avoid.

3 Thank thefxgeneral
HabtoorGrand, Manager at Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear FXGENERAL,

Thank you for your time updating our webpage. and sharing your personal opinion with all the readers of TripAdvisor.

Habtoor Grand Beach resort & spa has many fans from all over the world!

We hope that you can give us another chance so that we could demonstrate the true Arabian hospitality.

Kind Regards

Director of Rooms
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just got back from a lovely holiday in Dubai. The people of Dubai are very polite, friendly and extremely helpful, Dubai was lovely too ,weather fantastic, everywhere was clean and taxis were very reasonable.

The Habtoor Grand Hotel was lovely and was situated within easy access (via Taxi) to all of Dubai's attractions and the Beach is amazing with white sand and crystal clear water.

However.....DO NOT PAY FOR A TOWER SEA VIEW ROOM!!! We paid a premium for the advantage of this room which is as the name implies a tower room with a sea view. If you want a good nights sleep you wont get one.... on several evenings there was a Disco at the XL Beach Club which is approx 200 meters away from the Hotel and this did not stop until 3am in the morning!
The person I spoke to on Reception at 1am on Saturday morning told me that the Disco would not stop until 3am. I told him we could not sleep due to the noise and he said all he can do is tell the manager, you can imagine how annoyed we were!! I think there should be a warning that there could be some nuisance noise on certain nights. We have asked to see the manager and wrote a letter to him....we still are waiting for a response!!!!! Three days later!!!!

Dear Guest

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The matter has been escalated to the club management and we are certainly fixing it to ensure restful sleep to all of our dear guests.

Yateley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My 3 children (14,12 and 8) and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Habtoor Grand Hotel and I have to say we enjoyed our time there immensley. The reception staff were helpful and courteous and spoke very good English. I needed to confirm pick up arrangements for a prebooked trip and they made the call for me. When I needed a taxi one arrived almost instantly. I would like to mention Jose as particularly helpful as he went over and above the call of duty to help us when we were leaving and thought that we had left our camera in the room.

Our room was a tower family room which was spacious and clean, with a fantastic en-suite bathroom and dressing area. We were on the 18th floor and had an amazing view of the sea. We asked for an extra bed (room had 2 dbls and a sofa bed) so that none of us had to share and one arrived within minutes.

The pool area was spacious, busy but not overcrowded and it was very pleasant to relax on the sun loungers and enjoy the 30degree Dubai sun.

The food choices at the hotel are wide and varied offering everything from Thai, to Grill options. We were on half board so could either use the hotel restaurant or use a 80D/adult or 60D/child allowance and eat at one of the other restaurants. We had lunch at the Lebanese place by the pool and enjoyed a very pleasant meal. However the allowance did not cover the cost of the entire meal which came to just over £60. Which leads me on to my primary gripe that the food and drinks particularly were, I felt, extremely expensive. A litre bottle of water £5 and round of mocktails (non alcoholic) at the cuban bar nearly £40. Ice cream £4 a scoop and a small glass of wine or a pint of beer £8. I dont have extensive experience of 5* hotels and it was my first trip to Dubai. I was expecting things to cost a lot but these charges were excessive. The breakfast at the hotel restaurant was busy and one morning the staff were slightly overwelmed with the numbers of people, but always remained pleasant and helpful. Constantly restocking the food and plates but at times just could not keep up with the demand.

We booked a desert safari trip with Alpha Tours (from the UK) and this was an amazing experience. The driver was skilled and we had the ride of our lives flying over the dunes. We arrived at a beduin camp for our bbq supper. We were treated to a camel ride, belly dancing, shisha pipe, all inclusive of the £50/adult fee, The trip was about 5 hours and was amazing being in the desert as the sun went down. But the temperature does drop very quickly so taking an extra layer wouldbe advisable. A wonderful experience that was good value and very enjoyable.

We also booked a day at the Palm water park. It was incredible and I am really glad that we did it. the rides varied from thrilling to gentle - something for everyone. There were life guards at every corner and it felt very safe to let the children go off on their own. there is a dolphin pool and even if you had not paid to swin with them there was a viewing area where you could watch. Our tickets were prebooked in the UK and cost around £20 each. Everything else was extra - towel hire, locker hire, food and drink again extremely expensive. Lunch 2 x pizza 1 x fried chicken and 1 salad 4 x drinks came to approx £50. And at the end of the day there was a long wait (30mins) for a taxi. But overall and amazing experience and the children wanted to go back!

So back to the Habtoor - we did relly enjoy our stay but if I was to return to Dubai would probably book 4*. I am surprised by the number of negative views of this hotel as my experience was on the whole very positive

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Clare S
Dear Ms Clare,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

We hope that you return soon and visit us.

Your kind words were shared with Jose in the concierge.

My regards to all the family and friends back home.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is so bad I've decided to write my first review and warn people against booking with these morons.

Lets get the mis-selling out the way; the Habtoor Grand is not a five star hotel. The infrastructure exists for it to be four stars but the dilapidated condition of the place, the poor service and the bad food mean it should be down graded to three stars. If you want to stay at a five star hotel go check out The Fairmont on the Palm, either of the One & Only hotels, anything by Jumerijah, the list goes on as Dubai is full of amazing luxurious hotels, unfortunately the Habtoor Grand is not one of them.

Check-in; was my worst ever. When I mentioned this to one of the staff they just smiled at me. The staff are robots and under qualified for the task. Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Swimming Pool; truly awful and where I've spent most my time. The bed towels were more grey than white and they were hard - some fabric softenor might help. The beds are dilapidated. They was no room in between lounger, they were pushed right up next to one another. Tiles were missing from the pool floor. The 3 restaurants surrounding the pool belonged in the 1970's and the food in the 1960s. The pool staff constantly forgot my drink orders and were in general rude. The only positive was that the pool temperature was always warm however this might have been contributed to my the amount of unsupervised children swimming in it…

Breakfast; I've had better school dinners than the cardboard this lot served up. After the second day I just had cereal and fruit.

The Room; great view being on the 17th floor just a shame about the noise from the open air club below. The windows aren't soundproof and the bass travels so if you are planning an early night don't expect peace and quiet. The TV and mini-bar belonged in a roadside motel. The pillows were paper thin - I slept with 4 in a pile. Interior design average, especially comparing it to other 5 star hotels in Dubai.

Room Service; I ordered room service on 5 occasions. I never finished a meal as the food was terrible. They also made a mistake on my order twice.

Do Not Disturb; unless you leave the sign on expect to be disturbed whenever you are in the room. Someone was always knocking for some nonsense.

Internet; the wi-fi was slow, not always accessible by the pool and automatically logged out every 20 minutes. The last point became very frustrating as I had to enter in the codes given to me on a scrap of paper - not very 5 star. As I paid 400 AED (£70) for 5 days usage I expect better. Also the hotel only allows one device per account which meant if I wanted my phone and laptop to be connected to the internet at the same time I'd have to pay another 400 AED.

The list goes on but you should get the idea. Anyway wish me luck, I have two more days in this dive…...

PS - I welcome any feedback from the Habtoor Grand but won't hold out. Judging from the Hotel's responses they appear to ignore anything critical

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 1980-Traveller-1980
Dear Guest ,

Habtoor Grand Beach resort & spa has many fans from all over the world!

In order to serve you better , it would be great if we can receive a reply on our personal message sent to your account so that we can address all your concerns.

Sincerely ,

north east
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Habtoor,not as good as others.the hotel is nice,but tired and in need of a boost.the food,and quality of service in the resteraunt area is excellent.the room was nice enough but lacked the 5 star touches I expected and thought I had paid for.no major gripes as such,it's just a dated and un atmospheric hotel.if the hotel is more than a place to sleep while you are on holiday,,then look away.6/10.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple