Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel
Ranked #100 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
“Brutal - avoid.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a case of false advertising - a 5 star!!!! more like 2 star.
The hotel is from the 1960s in it's decor.
The staff are rude at check in - no smile, no welcome, no warmth - a sure sign that the hotel is a million miles from 5 star.
The rooms are something from a the 60s - gaudy colours, dirty showers, tacky tiles. I knew it was bad when on arrival there's smelly fruit in the bowl in the room. This rotting stayed with us for 8 nights - no attention to detail to remove from the room.
The staff are not the brightest and can be downright rude on occasions.
The food at breakfast in inedible - truly awful. even though we had breakfast included - we skipped it every day because i'd rather eat my toenails than that.
The pool is like santa ponsa on acid - overcrowded and not a place you could ever relax at. The beach was the best - probably as it was as far from the hotel as possible.
Internet access was expensive and restricted to one device, rather than room, which is unhelpful.
The staff in the majority would walk past you in the corridors, without a hello, goodnight etc. - a good sign that a hotel isn't concerned about it's customers.
Overall, I'd never go near the hotel again with a barge pole - it' s unusual to find such a poor hotel in Dubai - but this takes the biscuit - truly a dreadful waste of money.
Avoid.

3 Thank thefxgeneral
HabtoorGrand, Manager at Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection, A Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear FXGENERAL,

Thank you for your time updating our webpage. and sharing your personal opinion with all the readers of TripAdvisor.

Habtoor Grand Beach resort & spa has many fans from all over the world!

We hope that you can give us another chance so that we could demonstrate the true Arabian hospitality.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just got back from a lovely holiday in Dubai. The people of Dubai are very polite, friendly and extremely helpful, Dubai was lovely too ,weather fantastic, everywhere was clean and taxis were very reasonable.

The Habtoor Grand Hotel was lovely and was situated within easy access (via Taxi) to all of Dubai's attractions and the Beach is amazing with white sand and crystal clear water.

However.....DO NOT PAY FOR A TOWER SEA VIEW ROOM!!! We paid a premium for the advantage of this room which is as the name implies a tower room with a sea view. If you want a good nights sleep you wont get one.... on several evenings there was a Disco at the XL Beach Club which is approx 200 meters away from the Hotel and this did not stop until 3am in the morning!
The person I spoke to on Reception at 1am on Saturday morning told me that the Disco would not stop until 3am. I told him we could not sleep due to the noise and he said all he can do is tell the manager, you can imagine how annoyed we were!! I think there should be a warning that there could be some nuisance noise on certain nights. We have asked to see the manager and wrote a letter to him....we still are waiting for a response!!!!! Three days later!!!!

Dear Guest

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The matter has been escalated to the club management and we are certainly fixing it to ensure restful sleep to all of our dear guests.

Yateley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My 3 children (14,12 and 8) and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Habtoor Grand Hotel and I have to say we enjoyed our time there immensley. The reception staff were helpful and courteous and spoke very good English. I needed to confirm pick up arrangements for a prebooked trip and they made the call for me. When I needed a taxi one arrived almost instantly. I would like to mention Jose as particularly helpful as he went over and above the call of duty to help us when we were leaving and thought that we had left our camera in the room.

Our room was a tower family room which was spacious and clean, with a fantastic en-suite bathroom and dressing area. We were on the 18th floor and had an amazing view of the sea. We asked for an extra bed (room had 2 dbls and a sofa bed) so that none of us had to share and one arrived within minutes.

The pool area was spacious, busy but not overcrowded and it was very pleasant to relax on the sun loungers and enjoy the 30degree Dubai sun.

The food choices at the hotel are wide and varied offering everything from Thai, to Grill options. We were on half board so could either use the hotel restaurant or use a 80D/adult or 60D/child allowance and eat at one of the other restaurants. We had lunch at the Lebanese place by the pool and enjoyed a very pleasant meal. However the allowance did not cover the cost of the entire meal which came to just over £60. Which leads me on to my primary gripe that the food and drinks particularly were, I felt, extremely expensive. A litre bottle of water £5 and round of mocktails (non alcoholic) at the cuban bar nearly £40. Ice cream £4 a scoop and a small glass of wine or a pint of beer £8. I dont have extensive experience of 5* hotels and it was my first trip to Dubai. I was expecting things to cost a lot but these charges were excessive. The breakfast at the hotel restaurant was busy and one morning the staff were slightly overwelmed with the numbers of people, but always remained pleasant and helpful. Constantly restocking the food and plates but at times just could not keep up with the demand.

We booked a desert safari trip with Alpha Tours (from the UK) and this was an amazing experience. The driver was skilled and we had the ride of our lives flying over the dunes. We arrived at a beduin camp for our bbq supper. We were treated to a camel ride, belly dancing, shisha pipe, all inclusive of the £50/adult fee, The trip was about 5 hours and was amazing being in the desert as the sun went down. But the temperature does drop very quickly so taking an extra layer wouldbe advisable. A wonderful experience that was good value and very enjoyable.

We also booked a day at the Palm water park. It was incredible and I am really glad that we did it. the rides varied from thrilling to gentle - something for everyone. There were life guards at every corner and it felt very safe to let the children go off on their own. there is a dolphin pool and even if you had not paid to swin with them there was a viewing area where you could watch. Our tickets were prebooked in the UK and cost around £20 each. Everything else was extra - towel hire, locker hire, food and drink again extremely expensive. Lunch 2 x pizza 1 x fried chicken and 1 salad 4 x drinks came to approx £50. And at the end of the day there was a long wait (30mins) for a taxi. But overall and amazing experience and the children wanted to go back!

So back to the Habtoor - we did relly enjoy our stay but if I was to return to Dubai would probably book 4*. I am surprised by the number of negative views of this hotel as my experience was on the whole very positive

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Clare S
Dear Ms Clare,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

We hope that you return soon and visit us.

Your kind words were shared with Jose in the concierge.

My regards to all the family and friends back home.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is so bad I've decided to write my first review and warn people against booking with these morons.

Lets get the mis-selling out the way; the Habtoor Grand is not a five star hotel. The infrastructure exists for it to be four stars but the dilapidated condition of the place, the poor service and the bad food mean it should be down graded to three stars. If you want to stay at a five star hotel go check out The Fairmont on the Palm, either of the One & Only hotels, anything by Jumerijah, the list goes on as Dubai is full of amazing luxurious hotels, unfortunately the Habtoor Grand is not one of them.

Check-in; was my worst ever. When I mentioned this to one of the staff they just smiled at me. The staff are robots and under qualified for the task. Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Swimming Pool; truly awful and where I've spent most my time. The bed towels were more grey than white and they were hard - some fabric softenor might help. The beds are dilapidated. They was no room in between lounger, they were pushed right up next to one another. Tiles were missing from the pool floor. The 3 restaurants surrounding the pool belonged in the 1970's and the food in the 1960s. The pool staff constantly forgot my drink orders and were in general rude. The only positive was that the pool temperature was always warm however this might have been contributed to my the amount of unsupervised children swimming in it…

Breakfast; I've had better school dinners than the cardboard this lot served up. After the second day I just had cereal and fruit.

The Room; great view being on the 17th floor just a shame about the noise from the open air club below. The windows aren't soundproof and the bass travels so if you are planning an early night don't expect peace and quiet. The TV and mini-bar belonged in a roadside motel. The pillows were paper thin - I slept with 4 in a pile. Interior design average, especially comparing it to other 5 star hotels in Dubai.

Room Service; I ordered room service on 5 occasions. I never finished a meal as the food was terrible. They also made a mistake on my order twice.

Do Not Disturb; unless you leave the sign on expect to be disturbed whenever you are in the room. Someone was always knocking for some nonsense.

Internet; the wi-fi was slow, not always accessible by the pool and automatically logged out every 20 minutes. The last point became very frustrating as I had to enter in the codes given to me on a scrap of paper - not very 5 star. As I paid 400 AED (£70) for 5 days usage I expect better. Also the hotel only allows one device per account which meant if I wanted my phone and laptop to be connected to the internet at the same time I'd have to pay another 400 AED.

The list goes on but you should get the idea. Anyway wish me luck, I have two more days in this dive…...

PS - I welcome any feedback from the Habtoor Grand but won't hold out. Judging from the Hotel's responses they appear to ignore anything critical

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 1980-Traveller-1980
Dear Guest ,

Habtoor Grand Beach resort & spa has many fans from all over the world!

In order to serve you better , it would be great if we can receive a reply on our personal message sent to your account so that we can address all your concerns.

Sincerely ,

north east
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Habtoor,not as good as others.the hotel is nice,but tired and in need of a boost.the food,and quality of service in the resteraunt area is excellent.the room was nice enough but lacked the 5 star touches I expected and thought I had paid for.no major gripes as such,it's just a dated and un atmospheric hotel.if the hotel is more than a place to sleep while you are on holiday,,then look away.6/10.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our experience started when we tried to check in, We hadn't been made aware that all parties needed photo id, we got the impression from reception that the best solution to this was to not check in at all, they didn't try to come up with any solution whatsoever. I suggested they book the room in one persons name which was reluctantly accepted. The first morning we were woken at 08.00 after a long journey by the sound of a JCB drilling directly outside of our window, due to this we decided to get up and go to the pool, we were quite rudely refused two towels at the beach as the room only had one occupant. When we asked if the one occupant residing in there five star hotel could have two towels the request was refused. We decided at this point to make a complaint, we were assured the room would be taken care of and eventually, only after promising that we would forward photo id by email we were finally allowed to borrow a second towel! Shockingly the towel wasn't even clean!

When we returned to our room our luggage was still there with no notion of anything being done to improve our experience so assumed that this would be dealt with upon us leaving.

When we checked out we asked about the assurance of our room being "sorted" but this was ignored, we then spoke to the hotel manager who blamed the hotel next door for the noise and claimed it was unrelated and was quite clearly uninterested in anything to do with customer satisfaction. We were forced to pay the full rate for the both nights.

In addition to the above as stated by others the hotel is quite dated, the room a little tired and quite expensive. I previously stayed at the Westin nearby and found the whole experience to be a world apart. The Westin is a true quality hotel and very worthy of its five stars, I think the Habtour will be struggling to keep its own and more importantly any returning customers.

1 Thank GJH1186338
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review.

We like to take this chance to inform you and all the travelers that as per UAE law all occupants must scan their valid ID's prior to occupying any hotel / furnished apartment.

We have the same information mentioned on all of our booking channels.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations but rest assured that the matter has been shared with the concerned department.

Looking forward to your future visits

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I spent a week at the hotel with my two teenage boys. To be honest you often get what you pay for and this is not an expensive five star hotel however there are so many niggling things that were wrong. But first the positives, front desk staff were very helpful and efficient. The room although small was clean and the rooms were cleaned well every day with a good turndown service. However irritations - food is very poor; the family just didn't look forward to breakfast because the presentation was poor and food very often tasteless. We had one lunch time buffet in the main restaurant and I think it is one of the worst I have seen in Dubai and I lived here for three years. We tried the Chinese restaurant (which is beautiful) but food again was poor. The sport club has some good facilities but why charge AED50 to hire a squash racquet? Service is very hit and miss. I asked the concierge how I booked tickets for a show at the Madinat Theatre but he basically told me to do it myself. Every time you leave the hotel you are pressured to take a limo when there are taxis waiting there. I even had to argue with the door staff before they would call me a taxi. Many of the staff are very helpful but its clear they are not well trained and often not well led. We took the Club room option which includes an area where you can go for breakfast. One morning the staff were clearly overwhelmed, the food was everywhere there was no cutlery, no bowls, not fruit juice etc.. When I pointed this out to a senior member of staff he just told me to basically shut up with no apology offered. I won't be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gadstrat
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

Rest assured that our management team is working on improving overall guest experience and meeting all of your expectations.