“It's not called the 'Grand Hyatt' for nothing!”
Review of Grand Hyatt Dubai

Grand Hyatt Dubai
Ranked #41 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
London
“It's not called the 'Grand Hyatt' for nothing!”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The Grand Hyatt is certainly a 'grand' hotel as we discovered on a recent (wonderful) stay. The hotel far exceeded our expectations: our room was large and airy - as was the bathroom - and towels and linens were changed frequently. All staff were exceptional - always cheerful, friendly and accommodating and there was an excellent choice of restaurants - although being half-board we were restricted to just four. The downside was the fact that the menu for half-board is also quite restricted and staff did not seem 'clued up' on the arrangements for guests on half-board. However, the food was excellent - and staff, as always helpful and friendly. The outdoor pool was very large but having a 20 metre indoor pool was a bonus, particularly if it gets too hot outside! Drinks were, of course, expensive but we find this commonplace in most hotels wherever you stay. Although not on the beach, we found this hotel to be in a good location. Would definitely recommend and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room from the basic if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank VignaleLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Recently stayed here for four nights solo with my two young kids (3.5, 12 months) and the service was wonderful. I was nervous traveling without my husband but the staff here were exceptional. From the valet who inquired on the first day how to properly collapse the stroller and helped me every time get the kids and the stroller in the car, to the checkin and room service staff and everyone we encountered. The pool is wonderful and the kids pool was perfect. Our room was spacious. The hotel was slightly confusing to get to at first but a convenient location to everything we wanted to see. Wish internet was included and also frustrated with the lack of communication on pool opening times and services such as the Kids Club however when I expressed those concerns on a post visit survey, they were quick to respond, apologize and offer an upgrade for my next visit. A wonderful hotel, great stay and highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Dubai as I was attending a conference there on my first visit to the emirate. I had no idea what to expect, but have stayed at Grand Hyatts in Beijing, Shanghai, Jakarta and elsewhere, and my high expectations were mostly more than met. The staff were exceptional - just the right level of attentiveness and a personal touch that I've rarely experienced in other Grand Hyatts or indeed any hotel. Across the board, from food to amenities and facilities, the hotel hits the right notes. The Ahasees Spa is one of the best I've been to.The unpleasant surprises were being charged for water by the outdoor pool and having to pay for wi-fi in the room.The last few hotels I've rated all had free wi-fi throughout, which should be standard for this level of hotel. If not for those two discordant notes, this hotel is easily an Excellent stay.

Room Tip: City view is the view of the new skyline including the Burj Khalifa, Creek view is far less interest...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Letranger90
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for one evening on a company paid stay while en route to another city. My premise is this: $283 for hotel room without internet (extra charge...you get free internet at most motels in western countries!) and the room was barley acceptable (see pictures). A stained bed chair and the AC did not work properly. Since I was there for a short stay, I chose not to address the AC issue.

I go to the pool for a afternoon bite to eat. Here we go: $36 for a hamburger, fries and 2 diet pepsi...almost $7 per pepsi and it was the smaller cans.

I travel through Dubai semi frequently for business and stay 1-2 nights. A Holiday Inn at $70 per night is fine enough. I understand if people wan luxury, but remember this: You are paying for it in Dubai. Everything is imported including the hotel staff personnel. Why people rave about a hotel that will cost you, at a minimum, almost $40-$50 per meal X3. Oh, you want water? No store, $18 per bottle from room service. I went to the gym and there they had some stacked up. So 2 -3 bottle made there way to my room. At almost $300 per night, could I at least get a "Dubai reasonably" prices bottle of water besides the 2 small bottles that are complementary! All of this at a "luxury" hotel!

The best for last: The mini-bar is pressure plated. If you remove, just to look at one of the outrageously priced, bottle of alcohol, juice, ect...you bought it! It is automatically charged to your room! (see attached pictures). And the sign on the inside of the refrigerator states this and that "it is for your convenience"! Oh, please let me thank you for this kind conscience. The bellboy did tell me if I do remove one by mistake, just tell the front dust and they will not put it on you bill. This, I assume, would be after they do a "dorm-college check" of your room at check out. The last time I had "room check" I think I was 16 yoa.

Bottom line: Dubai way, way overpriced. If you have $400-$500 per day you have nothing better to do with...then one of these "grand hotels" would be more than glad to take it from you...

Room Tip: sauna and steam room-very nice and relaxing
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelguy365
Glasgow
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just back from a 8 night stay here....was in a bit of doubt of booking a city centre hotel again ( ok not really City Centre) after staying next door at Raffles previously ( Review made) and not normally going for a 600 room plus hotel and no beach in sight.

Anyway, we arrive at the Hotel ( after spending easily one hour in a Taxi Q at Airport) and were immediately impressed both with the Welcome and entance Lobby.....Checked in and given a complimentary upgrade ( 6th floor with a Creek View ). Room was vary spacious, well kitted out and huge bathroom....only thing it was missing was a balcony. The whole hotel was absolutely spotless and staff very friendly. Started to chill out immediately!

I can honestly say after many, many 5 star hotel breakfast experiences in Dubai..this place tops them all. Really is first class from quality / choice / chefs on hand to cook you what you want at various cooking stations.

We tried Wox , Manhattan Grill, IZ (twice) and Market Cafe restaurants. First time we have ever ate as much in one hotel ( normally out in Taxis trying Dubai's popular haunts). Wox( Vietnamese) and IZ ( indian) these two are fabulous and atmosphere is very good and standard of food is very high!...Manhattan Grill on last night was very disappointing:-

Starters :-
Prawn Cocktail served in a tall, narrow bottom bowl on a smaller plate ( wobbled all over the place and had to be decanted onto the smaller plate to eat it) nice tasted but at 80 dirhams it should.
Crab cakes :- really average

Mains:-
Bone in Nebraska Rib eye ( Medium) ......Not medium was rare ( in fact a good Vet could have brought it back to life) tasteless......we could have complained and sent it back but the Russian waitress had a major attitude as it was and last night could not be bothered with all the fuss it would have generated......and at 240 dirhams you are paying for a chef to be able to cook a Medium steak!!!
Wagyu Beef burger with fries:- Beef Burger was a bit stodgy and dry..but bun was good and fries were nice......but still managed too leave half of it. The Decor is impressive just a pity the food is not!

Market Cafe:- You get a plastic card handed to you and you present this to the various cooking points which gets charged to your card at the end you hand over the card at the till and charge to your room bill.......to be honest..it does not work.....mainly because it should be a Buffet Restaurant Offering and they charge way too much for some items i.e soup £9 all a great standard and served by all the Chefs again. But at £25 - 30pp to eat what they want would work so much better!

Hotel Pool:- really big pool area but not enough beds ( if you get to the pool around 11am you need to take a bed that nobody else wanted). Staff could have been a bit more proactive about coming round for drinks ( no complimentry water either really mean!). But it did make up for not having access to a Beach. But you do need your D+G, Armani ,Gucchi, etc Sun glasses and swim wear before being allowed to get a bed next to the pool.

We had the Fire Alarm shock at 1am during our stay......Oh dear!.....what an absolute shambles. Everybody piling out at the front of the hotel, no staff anywhere to be seen co-ordinating the emergency. They were all standing inside, some even cleaning the glass entrance doors while the alarm was going off......as fire drills / emergency responce goes this is not how to do it. A fellow paying guest shout from the distance it was ok to go back in.......Folk started piling back into the hotel while folk still coming down fire escapes.....it was a scene from a Carry on movie. Thank all above and anybody else you worship that this was not a real fire.....STAFF TRAINING A PROIRITY!!!!!

Apart from the fire alarm fiasco, I could not recommend this Hotel highly enough. It has got the right balance of Business/couples / family ( young kids) spot on.

Would I come back here???? Most definatley...but might be too hot in the summer months.

Oh.....wife used the Spa and Massage was extremely good!! Praise indeed!

Room Tip: Creek View overlooking the Pool to the rear of Hotel is prefered
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Buninyong, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

From the moment we entered this fantastic Hotel, we were impressed. Upgraded to a Grand suite on the 15th floor with sweeping views of the lush grounds and inviting pools below, every staff member we came across greeted us with a smile.The room was amazing and so well appointed, from a massive room size to all the extra touches , such as robes, slippers, fruit ,free WiFi and a truly luxurious bathroom.Every part of this Hotel is gleaming, spotless and well maintained. reception staff were attentive, the Restaurant staff treated us like VIPs and the Spa staff were so proud of their facilities, wanting to show guests what was available at no cost.Indeed we were so emoured with the Grand Hyatt, we wanted to extend our stay, but couldn't reschedule new flights! Having just spent the last month in very ordinary rooms at high prices in Italy and London, this 5 star Resort truly deserves its rating.My husband and I will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Ask when checking in, if there is a room upgrade available with good views on the higher floors, the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenniejess
UK
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Our second visit in 2 years to the Grand Hyatt Dubai and we were not disappointed. The minute you step out of the taxi you feel like a valued guest. We were travelling with my 20 month old son and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful towards us.

The door staff are simply superb, so helpful, and nothing is too much trouble for them.

We had a lovely room on the 7th floor overlooking the pool and with a creek view. Rooms ar large and vry comfortable. Plenty of space for our son to explore!

Breakfast service was excellent and again, all requests were greeted with a smile and carried out to the letter. They even brought some special cereal for our son upon request and kept it behind the counter for us, top marks to the chef!

We ate at Panini, Andiamo, and our favourite Wox. The food was excellent in all 3, and not as expensive as you would think for a 5 star property.

All in all, this hotel is still is one of the best in Dubai

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family