“300 EURO stolen from room”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira
Ranked #251 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed from 13/03/13 to 16/03/13 @ Sheraton, Daira

Everything was mearliy bareable until me, my wife and a 6 month old daughter checked out and realised after 5 hours that we had forgotten out passports in safe (yes, my fault). we only had 1:30 hour for our flight departure and rushed back to hotel. now comes the best part:

- the passport wallets were removed from safe (as it was already given to another guest)

- when i called, the reception team knew my case and asked me to come and colled my passports

- reached hotel in hurry and found both wallets opened and passports removed. It was clear that they had scanned it piece by piece.

- had 300 EUROS in one of the wallets as an emergency money (im sure many travellers do this). did not see it, when inquired with staff, got a rude comment that its all there sir, pleae check.

- By then i was 1 hour away from my departure, i could either miss my flight and take the case with management or sign the form and pick my passports. with wife and 6 month daughter, i couldnt miss the flight so i took the second option.

- i was forced to sign a form syaing i got all my belongings, else they would not let me take the passports, so the form doesnt count.

- have been an SPG member since 2008 and loyal to the extent that i sayed in westin few months back in Dublin and travelled 30 kms to my work place.

- they would not even post my review on SPG site, which is something!
a truely disappointed customer - KT

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ktaneja
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Mr.Ktaneja,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review as a guest at Sheraton Deira Hotel. As we discussed during our telephone conversation regarding your comments made directly on our website, as an established chain affiliated hotel we accept comments and feedback from our valued guests with a constructive spirit. Likewise if the feedback requires justification as regards to the given comments we equally furnish our clients with facts on the same.

As I wrote to you, the hotel has followed the procedures of cleaning a room from check out to releasing a room for a new arrival. After your departure from the hotel the room was cleaned and towards the end of the cleaning process when the housekeeping supervisor was going through the checklist of releasing the room for the next arrival it was noted that the room safe was still locked which should not have been the case as the safe must be open at the time of check-in. On finding that the safe was closed, our safety and security procedures require that 4 senior associates (Duty manager, security, Duty engineer & housekeeping Supvr.) be present when the safe is unlocked and it also requires that a full and thorough inventory is carried out of all items left behind in the safe. This process happens in the room and once it is completed all present need to sign for the inventory, are fully responsible for it and hand over the items to the Lost & Found department. When you had made your call your belongings had already been handed over to the lost & found department and placed in a safe and this was confirmed to you by one of our front desk employees. After this call you arrived at the hotel in order to collect your belongings from the Lost & Found department. Our lost and found as well as the opening of a locked safe procedures are in place in all our hotels in order to safeguard the property of our valued clients. I am deeply sorry that these procedures are not acceptable to you but as an international chain hotel these are the strict standards we are bound to operate with. It is also necessary to sign a release form indicating that you have recuperated your belongings and as such are releasing the hotel of its custody and responsibility.

In relation to the alleged 300 Euros missing from your wallet, as is clearly mentioned on the inventory, there were other currencies, your passports as well as credit/debit cards and other items in your wallet and none of them were taken out. All the associates who conducted the inventory of your items are senior associates who have been with the hotel for a long time and absolutely understand the grave consequences of theft or stealing and know what they can expect from their employer as well the local authorities in terms of punishments. It is inconceivable that they would put their and their families livelihood at stake for this amount of money.

I am very sorry that you feel that we did not follow the correct procedures but please rest assured that we take great care of the safety and security of our guests and their belongings.

Mr. Taneja, once again we thank you for your review and the opportunity for the hotel to explain our procedures.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed for a night . Very nice hotel, good location but needs refurbishment. Room furniture a bit old style but functional. Resident car park a bit far, have to use valet parking. The staff were very helpful and check in was a breeze.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear TripadvisorDoha_,

Thank you very much for posting a review pertaining to your recent stay at Sheraton Deira.

I very much appreciate your constructive feedback regarding our rooms but most of all your praise of our associates. They are our greatest asset and it is always very rewarding when they get mentionned in guest reviews.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best regards

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was expecting the Sheraton standards however Sheraton Deira was disappointing. It was a noisy affair ! Doors were banged at 3am for two consecutive nights which was very strange and you can hear people shouting. The room I was given was not spacious either and was smelly, but the staff were marvelous they promptly ensured to service the room, honestly quite disappointing for Sheraton standards.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank londonflava

Dear londonflava,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sheraton Deira Hotel, Dubai and for taking the time to write a review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and I am very disappointed to know of this. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and therefore we appreciate your comments. Please rest assured that every matter will be addressed to the best of our ability so that we can prevent similar events from occurring in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've booked this hotel via the agent for my semi-business trip. The hotel has a roof-top swimming pool and I have chosen it because i am a keen Plane spotter (not a Plane-spotter-nutter type though).... The room I was given was spacious. I recommend that you sign up for free for a Starwood Preferred Guest programme before you book and upon arrival present your membership number - this will open all sort of useful doors in the hotel!

I have not tried their breakfast but all inclusive (beer, food and wine) food spread at the top of the roof Restaurant/puul Bar was excellent! On Friday we had a BBQ with nice Lamb, Seafood and international spread. Considering the drinks are a very much expensive affair in Dubai - try their all inclusive Dinner fair.

The internet was expensive and patchy and there is no alternative other than sitting downstairs and having a limited 45 minutes free browsing time at the Bar.

This hotel is probably the best value for money hotel in Dubai, if skillfully boooked..... The Airport is a cheap taxi ride away.

I am a very light sleeper but there was no problem with the noise from the aircraft. Yes, there are aircraft flying above but these are only taking off (only an observation) and the windows are very well Double-glased.

The hotel has at least 6 different bars, some of which are very intimate and could be romantic...

The gym is excellent - seen but not tried.

The pool is clean and the service at the pool bar was excellent!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank German L

Dear German L,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sheraton Deira Hotel and taking the time to share your experience and promoting our Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program. We appreciate it!

We strive to provide all of our guests with a memorable and comfortable stay whilst with us. Therefore it is a pleasure to read your review on the different aspect of our products & services.

The entire team at Sheraton Deira Hotel would be delighted to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Deira for 5 nights second time around - once again, great service by the staff. Room was nice on the 2nd floor, the bathroom had a water leak, got transferred to a room on the 4th floor instantly. Slight glitch but no big deal. Cleanliness was above average overall, quality of food and drinks was good, close access to shopping areas, and the staff exemplified warmth, care and affection with a great smile. Housekeeping staff also had a good service oriented attitude. Just a minor paint work being done on the 2nd floor but otherwise interior decoration is good. A good hotel to stay for the short term and a good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd or 4th floors facing the main road I suppose are good enough.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Shouvik N
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear tornado989,

We are delighted to read of your experiences as our guest during a recent stay at Sheraton Deira Hotel. You have also acknowledged that your previous experience was equally good. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor regarding your stay.

We hope to continue in your expectations of all that Sheraton stands for in terms of our core values of warmth, connected and community through our services.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Hmm - disappointing is an understatement

If you like to touch the belly of an aircraft taking off then this is the hotel for you - there are plenty of people on the 6th floor pool area that do!! Not to my needs though. Comfortable enough hotel with friendly staff but that does not cover the noise of aircraft taking off under full power. I was lucky that I had a 4th floor room away from the disco so be very careful where your room is. The disco sops around 3 in the morning. You are a bit out of the way here so it is a cab to everything

Room Tip: tell the hotel you want to be as far from the disco as possible and ensure you get used to aircraft...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear SlimBF,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay. It is disappointing to note that you were not happy with your stay due to the noise from the nearby flying airplanes as we are located en route to the Dubai airport runway. All our rooms have double glazing but once outside I understand that this noise can be disappointing. I was very glad to read your aknowledgement of the overall comfort of the hotel as well as the staff friendliness something the Sheraton Brand is known for.

All your comments are constructively accepted and valued as it allows us to evaluate how we are performing from a customers point of view.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for three nights. I had to wait for four hours to check in. While my reservation was for double bed, after three hours, they books me for a queen bed single room. I refused and asked for the one I booked. it took another over an hour to get what I booked for. The room had a terrible smell and I had to complain to the front dest to clean the air in the room. The room cleaning service did not provide all the necessary items in the room. One day, we did not have mouth wash. Another day we did not get the soap. No one cared to have the simple writing pen in the room. More than caring for customers, the hotel seems more interested how much they can get money out of your pocket. The last day, around 9:30AM, the room service came to ask us when we will be leaving, while I had the privilege to check out by 12:00noon. After three days stay, I decided to move to another hotel which I am very happy. Truly, I wouldn't recommend any one to stay there. Not worth of your money!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Badegb
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Badegb,

Thank you very much for posting a tripAdvisor review pertaining to your recent stay at Sheraton Deira Hotel. I am terribly sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and please accept my most sincere apologies for the lapses in service delivery you have experienced.

I appreciate you taking the time to point out where we can improve and I can assure you that all comments negative or positive will be adressed in order to ensure that they do not occur once again. You mention that you had to wait several hours before getting your room. As you did not mention the exact time of arrival, we do our utmost best for those clients arriving on early morning flights, to accomodate those that wish to check-in before our official 3pm check-in time. Unfortunately during the high season in Dubai this is not always possible as availability of rooms depends on the departure of our clients checking out.

Once again thank you for your feedback and i do hope that you will continue to patronise our over 1000 Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

Best regards