“Not a Sheraton standard hotel”

Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira
Ranked #249 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The name Sheraton usually gives you an indicator that the establishment is going to be very good, well I was wrong.
After a long flight the check in process was awful we encounted a very rude receptionist who obviously has never heard of "the how can I help you" attitude that normally prevails throughout the Sheraton hotels we have stayed in.
Our room was musty and not so clean with the bathroom having mould around the bathtub.

We wanted to get an understanding of what the city of Dubai was like so we took the hotels recomended 4 hour city explorer bus trip and the night dinner cruise ($198), BIG mistake the tour took us past many existing and underconstruction five star hotels which was the main item the guide kept on talking about. The dinner cruise on the creek was awful, there is not enough words available to discribe it, both are not up to the standard that Sheraton normally recommend.

The check out process was also a misrable experience, not a smile in sight and the attitude suggested that we were lucky to be there.

During our time in Dubai we travelled by taxi and not one driver spoke to us without us starting the conversation except the last one that transferred us back to the airport, out of the blue he said "do not stay at that hotel next time you come to Dubai its not a good hotel there are much better hotels downtown" HOW RIGHT HE WAS.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Blue_Mts_Concierge,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sheraton Deira Hotel, Dubai and for taking the time to write a review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and I am very disappointed to read your experiences. I am very gratefull for your detailed service encounter failure explanations as one of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and additional associate training opportunities. Please rest assured that every matter will be addressed so that we can prevent similar events from occurring in the future.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel is nice,clean and friendly.The food was fresh every day.I loved the top floor,the view was impressive.
It was hard to connect wifi,because we always had to wait for the new code.But I would come back anytime.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Szilv
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear Szilv,

Thank you very much for posting a review on trip advisor regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Deira Hotel.

I am very glad to read that you fully enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your honest comments regards the hotel, it’s product and the services you received as our guest. Your feedback is very important to us because it is only through such reviews that we can work at getting better to improve on our services & products.

Again, thank you and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here for two nights last week (Dec 2012). Pros were the stuff I dealt with very friendly (particularly the night concierge), room had been renovated, free internet downstairs and temperature of the rooftop pool was perfect (plus the bartender there made a great margarita). Cons: It's on the flightpath, so you get aircraft noise plus I found that from a tourist's perspective, it is a bit of a walk to the creek and souks, and a cab ride to the other attractions like shopping malls and the beaches. Buffet breakfast was a bit hit and miss. It might not be at the same level as other Sheratons but overall I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
FWaller, General Manager at Grand Excelsior Hotel Deira, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear Androo21,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience whiles a guest at the Sheraton Deira on a recent stay.

Your feedback is constructively taken both the positive and negative.

It is good to know that you found our staff friendly, liked the renovated rooms, temperature controlled pool & the link@sheraton which offers free internet. On the other hand we also note your slight discontent on the noise of planes as the hotel is close to the flight path including other outside recreational avenues which you found were at a distance. However we thank you for your comment that you will still come and stay with us at Sheraton Deira Hotel. We thank you for this confidence.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and our team at Sheraton Deira Hotel would be delighted to welcome you back soon. If you ever need reservation assistance please contact the hotel directly or via our website.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Location: easily found – on the corner of two main roads. Good for the airport, but poor for everything else. Even the nearest thing of any interest (the Creek) is 40 minutes walk away. The Malls, Marina, Burj Khalifa and beaches are all a long, long way from here. Even the nearest Metro is a 10-15 mins walk away through a scruffy, unpleasant area. The hotel shuttle, to a beach, only runs once a day each way – so you are stranded a long way from “home”, if you want to return before 1630 (which, with no sun, you are likely to want to do).

Facilities: public areas are very good. Rooftop pool is small, but ok for a cooling plunge (if you need one – my weather was terrible: cloudy, with even, on at least two days, RAIN!!). Bars and eating areas are pleasant, but expensive. Biggest negative – rip-off WIFI. £16 per day!! I get unlimited highspeed broadband for TWO MONTHS at home, for that price. Should not be allowed. WIFI overcharge is now as bad as the legendary mini-bar con. Worse, in that I can do without very expensive drinks – I do NEED my WIFI.

Bedroom: very good. Spacious and comfortable. Good sized bathroom had bath with shower. Nice quality towels. Room even had a UK power socket; always useful. Room was well cleaned each day, but sheets were NOT changed (mine had an obvious – not from me! - stain). TV could be better. Nice flat screen, but of the 60 channels, c55 were non-English or rubbish. Only two movie channels – one old films, one fairly recent, but neither channel had good picture quality. No slippers provided, which means transferring residue of outside shoes on carpets, into your bed, not nice.

Staff: pleasant. Reception let me check in early, which is always appreciated. However, they let me down on my final day. I was in the bath when the power went off. The bathroom (no windows; door closed) was plunged into Stygian darkness and I could easily have been hurt trying to get out I also had to pack and check that I had everything, before checking out, in gloom. When I commented on this at Reception I was told it was planned maintenance. WHAT?? If it was planned, why weren’t guests forewarned? A simple notice in the lifts would have enabled people to act BEFORE being plunged into darkness. COMMUNICATION.

Overall: definitely a Four Stars (which is often not the case, with these mysterious ratings), but location is a big negative. I like to walk out of my door and be in a lively area – this hotel is in a very quiet spot. If I visited Dubai again (unlikely, but never-say-never) I would pick a hotel near the very good Metro. I’d probably stay in the Marina area or around Emirates Towers.

DUBAI? I probably didn’t see it at its best, as the weather was poor. I went expecting a week of sunshine – but I only got about EIGHT HOURS in total!! However, I do like modern architecture and Dubai is full of that. I especially liked the Marina, with its helical (is that right?) centrepiece. My trip to the “top” of Burj Khalifa (you are actually only two-thirds of the way up) was also a highlight (make sure you buy tickets in advance – only 25% of walk-up-price and no queuing). Try to time your visit, to watch the excellent fountains show (6pm on). Even from the ground they are very good. You can combine watching them with a visit to Dubai Mall. I don’t like shops, but this is a great facility. Very clean and well maintained. It has an aquarium inside. Also has free WIFI.

Getting around? The Metro train – only two lines for now – is excellent. Clean, efficient and inexpensive, with space-age architecture. Taxis are also better value than is the norm.

Overall: I went for a week of relaxing in the sun, so was very disappointed with the weather, but I’m glad I went. Having visited three other Middle East countries the contrast is amazing. Dubai is the best of the West: clean, efficient, ordered – without the worst of the West: drunkenness, violence, anti-social behaviour. Young people might find it restrictive, but, as an older person, I found it heavenly. If only it had some “history”……….

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank brandreth16

Dear brandreth16,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sheraton Deira Hotel and for taking the time to write a review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We strive nevertheless to provide the best in our services and products. It seems that you were unhappy that the Telephone was not working, the fridge was making much noise and you found the buffet tiring. It is disappointing to note the reasons and do apologize for the inconvenience. Rest assured we will re-visit these issues and wherever correctable will make the changes so that we can therefore prevent similar events from occurring in the future.

We hope the disappointing events encountered do not stop you from visiting us again. If you ever need reservation assistance please contact the hotel directly or via our website.

Stay Connected.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Well i don't know from where I'll start but from the Check-in to Check-out my stay was mind blowing or can say that Mind Blowing.

I'll start from check-in on 09th December 2012 for one night , your staff was perfect they did the check-in quickly and I was surprised that they upgrade us to a Suite no. 456 as i was giving a surprise to my Fiance but you & your management gave me a surprise for our Anniversary. That really make my day special and i"ll really thankful for that.

When I reached to the suite the suite was really good. I really want to Appreciate Mr. RADHA from Housekeeping to make such a wonderful Swann and the special set-up for us. And i love how he decorated the foot mat. We loved it really. Please give my special regards to him.

Yes in the night we were having an issue with the AC and the guy from the Engineering( I'm Sorry i forget his name) he really helped us to repair it but unfortunately not done. Just because of that we cannot sleep till 3 am and then at 3:30 am Duty Manager changed our Suite to Suite 109.

But these two guys( Mr Radha & Engineering Guy) really make our stay very memorable. I would like to stay with you just because of this kind of service and I'll really suggest this hotel to my friends also.

From F&B we ordered the sandwich as we are pure vegetarians so they make the sandwich without mayonnaise & any non-veg product which is really appreciable.

In the end thank you very very much.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LondonSnowWhite,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sheraton Deira Hotel and taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate it!

We strive to provide all of our guests with a memorable and comfortable stay whilst with us. Therefore it is a pleasure to read your review and note your acknowledgments see that you found our team members attentive and helpful. We are also happy you liked the suite and equally satisfied with the Room service assistance in getting you a veggie sandwich to your preferred liking.

Our team at Sheraton Deira Hotel would be delighted to welcome you back soon. If you ever need reservation assistance please contact the hotel directly or via our website.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed couple of times till today and all the times I come back home satisfied. Especially roof bar is really good, you can have whatever you like. Also rooms are very clean and large. You can feel like at home. You can get good rates if you book your room early

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear OnurCakar,

Warm greetings from Dubai! Thank you for choosing to stay with Sheraton Deira Hotel and for taking the time to write this review.

We strive to provide our guests with a special experience and therefore we are glad to hear that you ‘come back home satisfied’ & you feel at home at the Sheraton Deira’. Glad to know you liked the rooftop bar including the guest rooms which you found large and clean. We appreciate your comments and overall we are proud to hear that you had a memorable experience with us.

If you require any assistance please contact the hotel directly or via our website. In the meantime please like our Sheraton Deira hotel Facebook page which will keep you to date with all of the happenings around the hotel from reviews, deals & competitions.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I arrived early, needing a quick shower before a business meeting.

As polite as the receptionist was and despite being SPG Gold I was not able to use club facilities. I was eventually offered use of the 'pool room shower', by which time a local friend offered me shower plus egg on toast.

On my first night, a power cut early in the morning caused the bedside alarm to stop and me oversleep. After a wait and calls to reception I was informed that 'another wing' had power and I could use the shower ... wish that was made clear earlier allowing me to get to office. The journey back was tricky .. walking along pitch black corridors. No emergency lights?? !

My pet gripe is free internet in business hotels.. none here! Not even for loyalty card holders as Radisson offer.

The bar was nice ... good views. Attentive service/bar staff. European football. However drinks are expensive.. double Captain Morgan and Coke just under £12... I tasted the rum before the coke was added. it wasn't the same proof as the bottles I'm used to.

The staff are polite. Concierge helpful.

The rooms are dated. I'm often bare footed.. but the carpet in my room needed a deep steam clean.

Overall a poor experience .. I was grateful it was a short stay of 3 nights and full business days. Else I would have asked for a move. Not somewhere I'd want to stay again.

Room Tip: The suite I borrowed for a shower was nicer than the double room.. no idea what the suites cost. I...