“Fantastic Winter Break”

Ranked #74 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Glasgow
“Fantastic Winter Break”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Returned last week from a 6 night stay.
Enjoyed everything about it. We stayed all inclusive and it was one of the best that I have experienced. We ate in the Italian twice, Shooters and the buffet. I'm not really a buffet fan but this was one of the best that I have tried. Really enjoyed the lebanese night. Enjoyed lunches in the Captains, Anchor and Sports Bar. I cannot fault any of the food that we had.
The customer service we received was second to none, from the associates at the pool/beach area, the restaurants to roomservice. Need to give special thanks for Anthony, Shajan, Sunil and Diane in the Mushref bar who helped make our stay really enjoyable. I really liked the fact that on the name badges there was a little comment from each of the associates telling us a little about them.
We had a garden view room which we felt was great.
My husband played gold and I enjoyed the spa facilities. You could do as little or as much as you wanted with plenty of water sports on offer. The most exercise I got was a game of mini golf one afternoon. We knew if was a bit away from Dubai and we were meant to be planning a visit using the courtesy shuttle bus, but we were so relaxed we decided not to bother and just have to come back again and visit next time.
We travelled with another couple and are already planning a visit again next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ali39Glasgow
Fredrik R, Regional General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear ali39Glasgow,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel.

I was glad to know that you had a fantastic holiday with us, and already planned to come back on your next holiday to the resort.

Please allow me to thank you for your kind words with regards to the resort and its facilities, the All Inclusive package which you have kindly mentioned was the best you have experienced, the food served in all the restaurants and the resort activities available which you enjoyed the most.

It was also nice to read your positive comments about my team who looked after you. I will ensure that your compliments are shared with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, and once again thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Regional General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Have just returned to London after a week's stay at the Jebel Ali Hotel. Stayed in a garden view room, which was perfectly adequate. What I hadn't realised, was that all inclusive doesn't actually mean all inclusive. Anything from the minibar in the room is charged at full price. Not realising this, on the evening of arrival we had a whisky and a sprite from the fridge at a cost of about 16 pounds! You can choose anything from the menus and drinks menus marked with a star sign next to it. The choice of wines and cocktails were good, although I would have loved a bellini, which wasn't included. As other recent reviews have stated, the only restaurants available on the all inclusive plan are the ones in the Jebel Ali. The White Orchid in the Palm Tree Court is chargeable at a 20 percent discount. We dined at the main restaurant in Jebel Ali, as well as the Italian restaurant in the basement and Divas in the marina. All were lovely. The staff are fantastic. We didnt manage to get a sunbed by the pool as they all seem to have towels down from early in the morning, so we settled for the beach where there are plenty of sunbeds. It was a little chilly in early Feb but bearable with umbrellas as windbreaks. They have a member of staff on the beach who will bring you umbrellas and drinks on the beach. Just a couple of points which may help others. I had read a previous reviewer on here suggesting taking an extension cable for the electric sockets. It was a great tip! I took a four socket short extension cable. The plugs are like English ones, but there are only 2 sockets on the 'desk' area. One of ours didnt work. Luckily with the extension cable I could keep my lap top plugged in at the same time as charging the mobile, camera battery, heating hair straighteners etc. I also made the mistake of booking the airport transfer (about 45 mins) with an external company at a cost of 75 USD. Have since realised this was expensive. We booked the return to the airport direct with the hotel at a cost of 200 dirhams, which was cheaper. All in all, thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel and would definitely return. I would also feel very comfortable about returning on my own as it felt very safe and friendly there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank eli138
Dear eli138,

It was lovely to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I would like to thank you for your positive remarks with regards to the resort and its facilities, as well as the airport transfer.

I have also noted that the All Inclusive package on this occasion was not to your satisfaction. I would like to advise you that we do provide a letter having information about All Inclusive upon arrival and I would like to extend my sincere apologies if this information was not clearly highlighted to you during your stay with us. Please rest assured that I have shared your comments with our Executive Assistant Manager In-charge of Food & Beverage for immediate attention and review.

It was truly moving to read your exceptional praise for our associates who looked after you, whom you felt were fantastic. You have kindly mentioned that they were great and very friendly; I will ensure that your compliments are passed on.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor, and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel in the near future.

Lybster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We tried to change Money to settle our bill, no way would they accept Scottish notes and when I asked for the duty manager he came and shook hands with my husband and really didn't want to deal with me, interestingly he had no problem accepting my Royal Bank of Scotland Credit Card to settle the bill...............if you are looking for a couples experience then don't book this however the facilities are fantastic

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Palm Court, it was my 50th and it was fantastic as were the extras provided...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Angela E,

I would like to thank you for your kind words with regards to the resort and its facilities which you found to be fantastic. In some countries, like UAE, most major foreign currencies only can be accepted by the local banks. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced on this occasion; however, this is beyond our control. We do understand that we have a mix of International guests in the hotel; therefore, we do accept credit cards as a mode of payment.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We couldn't say more about how AMAZING the buffet breakfast is at Jebel Ali Beach Hotel! The quality was top-notch and the selection of items was sure to please any pallet. Fresh juices, hot items, fruit, breads and pastries... everything was delicious.

We took our 2 year old daughter with us and the staff was more than accommodating. They gave her a cute "JA" branded rubber duckie when we checked in and then just about every other time we were in the lobby she worked her charm to get another one. We probably left with about 7 of them (after only 2 nights). The pool and beach were great for her as well. The pool has a shallow section separate from the main pool that she could play in as well as an ankle deep perimeter around the pool for a nice barrier to play in. On the beach, there was a box full of sand toys that were available to guests as well. We didn't use the babysitting services but talked with them and it seemed very safe and the caregivers were attentive/nurturing to the kids that were there.

The one downfall to the resort is that it is VERY far from any of the attractions in the downtown area. We didn't realize this when we booked it. It "looked" like it wasn't far from the Palm Jumeirah area but in actuality it was about 30-45 mins from most of the malls. There is however a complimentary shuttle that takes guests to and from the malls at certain times of the day which is nice and saves you from having to pay for a taxi. All-in-all it was nice to be away and have the beach area... they are building up the 2nd palm islands (I assume in preparation for EXPO 2020) so perhaps there will be more to do close by as that builds up.

My husband was looking to play 9 holes of golf but they require a certain handicap to play. (I'm not big on golf but this is what he was telling me. Forgive me if the terminology is incorrect.) He plays a lot throughout the year but doesn't have a registered handicap or a card which they require to play. I would definitely look into this before going if you wish to play. The course looked very nice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Fredrik R, Regional General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Jottie,

It was pleased to read your review. I was happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I would like to thank you for your positive comments with regards to the resort and its facilities, the children’s welcome pack that you received upon arrival which your children has started to collect, the swimming pool and beach area which you found to be great, the food served especially during your breakfast which you have kindly mentioned was amazing, as well as the golf which your husband enjoyed the most.

I was disappointed to read your comments about the location of the resort. I would like to inform you that many of our guests enjoy the location which offers space and tranquility, with the option of going to the nearby malls and attractions which is just a short bus ride away. Please accept my sincere apologies if your expectations were not met in any way.

I would like to thank you for sharing your concerns about the golf procedure. Please rest assured that this matter has been addressed to our Director of Golf.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Jebel Ali Hotel is a very comfortable and beautiful hotel. Not far from Dubai downtown. 20 min to shopping and entertainment centers. Huge territory with golf fields and small picturesque lakes. Beach is 800 meters long and very cosy. Bio-gardens.
The food multiple choice and it's very nice.

Room Tip: Choose villas, they are right on the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

A fantastic place. With Dubai building as it is JA is one of the few hotels with a view other than other hotels!! It has a sea view or garden view both good. Service was super as was variations on places to eat. We has a 6 month and a 3 yr old with us, they had everything they needed. It will change soon with expo 2020 coming and more hotels being built. Must get back soon. 9 hole golf course still holds its own.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear david h,

It was lovely to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I would like to thank you for your kind words with regards to the resort and its facilities which you found to be fantastic, as well as the services that you received from my team which you felt was super.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Having been here in September 2013 review was (good enough for premiership players, good enough for me) we knew what to expect or thought we did?. The hotel used to be linked with the Palm court situated next door. In September last year you could use all facilities in both resorts as part of the all inclusive package, NOW YOU CANT!!!!!! so be aware. What the hotel is trying to do is to say that the Palm Court is now a 5* resort and the Jebel ali is only a 4* .
You can still use the facilities in the Palm court after 6pm but you will pay for the privilege of using them, which according to the front of house manager Mr Marud Ahmed they have notified all travel agents who use this hotel, unfortunately for us the news hadn't been passed to AWAY HOLIDAYS so check before you go. There is also a rope fence down the centre of the beach which is totally farcical and just adds to the segregation of the guests who in my opinion tend to stay within the confines of their own accommodation anyway. So Jebel ali owners give your heads a shake and sort this out.
Anyway that was the last of my gripes about the hotel.
As usual the standards, friendliness/professionalism of staff were second to non. Standard of food, not only in the main dining room but shooters, la traviatta, white orchid (have to pay now), the food was excellently presented and delicious. The staff at the sports bar were great and helpful, sorting out the premier match for Sunderland /Newcastle, great service and again great tasting food. The service and food at captains bar(on the beach) was great for lunch meals whilst sunbathing.
Our main watering hole was the Mushref Bar up on the 7th floor, a massive thanks to the best staff in resort, Sarjan hope all goes well for you on your forthcoming wedding back in Chenai, Anthony hope you got the letter that I left you and again hope all goes well in the future whatever you decide to do, Diane hope you have a great BOND night for your staff function and Sunil, who stands in when either Sarjan/Anthony are on their days off. Even though I rarely drink cocktails, your long island iced teas leave me wanting more. To the new resident band up there, wishing you all success in your new position, hope it all works out for you guys/girl.
All in all I would still recommend this resort to anyone who wants to go, yes the hotel is 32years old and from the outside looks like it needs a good refurbishment, but when you enter its like a different world. Would I go back possibly yes, but then I would have to wait to see what the forthcoming changes bring to the hotel, hopefully the owners will see sense and rescind their decisions so far.
Ps congratulations to Fredrich on your promotion to area manager for the whole UAE, pity we couldnt chat at the cocktail party.

Room Tip: don't have a sea view room on the ground floor, they never seem to get the sunlight
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gazza810
Fredrik R, Regional General Manager at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Gazza810

As you have noticed, we have indeed started to position the two hotels as individual products, and most of the resort facilities are still shared.

We are also offering discount to all guests who are staying at JA Jebel Ali Beach Hotel if they would like to dine at the White Orchid restaurant since it is not part of the All Inclusive package. Our guests can still enjoy a la carte dining at La Traviata, Shooters Steakhouse, Sports Café, Captains, Divaz and of course the popular theme nights in Ibn Majid.

I am very pleased that you have mentioned so many of our associates by name, some of whom you have personally acknowledged, please rest assured that we will pass on your praise.

It is with regret that I wasn’t able to meet you during the guest cocktail whilst staying with us, and I look forward to meet you the next time you stay with us.