“luxury hotel, very nice, big rooms”

Jumeirah Emirates Towers
Ranked #16 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
New York City, New York
“luxury hotel, very nice, big rooms”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a very nice, luxurious hotel in this ostentatiously luxurious city. The rooms are very clean and very large (I was in a suite). The staff is eager to please. The business center is very good. My only complaint is that the "literature" on the hotel is inadequate -- there is no list of restaurants with menus in the rooms, so you have to go to each one and see what they have (and they are spread out). You can't figure out on your own the hours of the gym or even how to get there - you have to call and ask and then get directions on how to get there. I haven't stayed anywhere else in Dubai, but this place has what you need.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JumeirahTowers, General Manager at Jumeirah Emirates Towers, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We were really happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel and that you were particularly pleased with the excellent service received from our colleagues. I will be sure to share you kind feedback with the team.

We have also noted your comment regarding the lack of “literature” in the hotel with regards to the listing of restaurants and menus and the likes. You will be pleased to know that we are currently working on our Guest Services Directory which will provide detailed information of the offerings and facilities of the hotel. Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and rest assured that we make it a point to continually meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Jumeirah Emirates Towers.

General Manager and Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had amazing 8 days at the Emirates towers Hotel. We booked the Club Level and got a Great room in the 44th floor with a great view over Dubai!
The Service was excellent and the staff very friendly. The Shuttle Service to the Dubai Mall and to the Beach (jumeirah Beach Hotel, Wild Wadi water Park, madinat Hotel) is a very Good thing so that we would book again the Emirates towers.
We didnt Miss anything and can fully recommend this Great Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a Club level room and the view in the higher Roms with Sea view is Reals amazing!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Jumeirah Emirates Towers on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. I am also happy to hear that you had an amazing 8 days with us. Thank you for the very positive feedback about the hotel and the services.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Jumeirah Emirates Towers.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just retuned from 7 nights at the Emirates Towers for a business trip. We were arriving early morning, so booked the night before so we would have a room (and breakfast) to come to. This was confirmed with the hotel prior to arrival. On arrival, we were momentarilly suprised to be informed that 'The Charge has been removed for your first night', only to be told they were full and did not have a room for us (that first night had been pre-paid!!). After a long overnight journey we were not pleased, but after complaining a room was miraculously found (and of course the full charge put back on with great haste). I don't understand how one minute they can be full, and the next not full. This is clearly the hotel not being truthful with its customers.

Despite this initial 'hiccup' we had a good stay, the beds are fantastically comfortable and even from the 18th floor good far reaching views.

The pool is very warm but has an unpleasant scum around the tile at the water level which put me off swimming in it. You can use thhe facilities at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, and the pools there are lovely if you have time to go. There is a shuttle bus, but much easier to take a taxi.

Definately a business hotel, as on working days the public areas are full of groups of business people, could rarely get a seat in the lounge area. It was better at the weekend, but it could do with more public space for the residents.

My final comment is the hotel group used to provide Aromatherapy Associates toiletaries but has now switched to Molton brown, these are good but not as good as AA. This hotel will have competetion when the Conrad opens just down the rroad, but as hotels in Dubai are operating on full much of the time there is not enough healthy competition in this market.

Room Tip: Low floors give good views too, so dont worry too much if you cant get a high room.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay Jumeirah Emirates Towers.

Rest assured that your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience Jumeirah Emirates Towers is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. At the same time, I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations.

I have noted your feedback regarding the confusion upon your arrival at the hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same. Please note that I have personally passed your concerns to our Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms in order to review the procedures and ask all Front Desk colleagues to provide further coaching in delivering our luxurious service standards to our valued guests where appropriate to the colleagues involved.

I also noted your feedback regarding the tiles in the pool area . I would like to personally apologize as it seems that we unfortunately failed to deliver our luxurious standards and service culture on this occasion. We will definitely bring this to the attention of our colleagues to ensure that the tiles are thoroughly cleaned.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Emirates Towers in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Jumeirah Emirates Towers is renowned for.

Meanwhile please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel is located in the busy business district which lies in the middle of the town- between the beach area and the Old Dubai ( Deira and Burr). This makes the location really good especially given that the metro station is within easy reach on foot.
On arrival we were suggested an upgrade to a Club Premier Suite (63 sq m) which was a really good choice as we had access to the Executive Club/Lounge where you could have breakfast/lunch and light dinner all included in the price and in a calm atmosphere so different to a busy restaurant itself.
The views from our suite at 46th floor were obviously outstanding as was the service which came also for a turndown shift bringing some fresh fruit and sweets nearly every day,
It's also worth mentioning the outdoors pool which has heated water - very good idea in winter when the water in the sea is rather cold.

If I were to critisize anything then I would point to the fact that in our newly refurbished suite, something apparently was wrong with the electronic systems. Once in the middle of the night a telephone's display went on so was the light near the door. Strange and it woke us up. Also one day the 'don't disturb' sign was on the whole day which prevented the cleaning service from entering even though we didn't press it. Still, the service came within short time when we called them to make the room. So it was resolved swiftly.

All in all, we are really satisfied with the stay which - however rather costly- was well worth its price.

Room Tip: go for a club room/suite. You're getting access to 3 meals a day and some complimentary alcohol...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marek W
JumeirahTowers, General Manager at Jumeirah Emirates Towers, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Jumeirah Emirates Towers.

I was very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your previous stay with us, particularly highlighting the experiences you have had with the Club Executive Lounge. I am also very delighted to know that you were pleased with the view from your suite and with the amenities brought to your room daily.

On the other hand, I have also noted your feedback regarding the electronic system in the suite. I would like to personally apologize as it seems that we failed to totally deliver our luxurious standards and service culture on this occasion. You will be pleased to know that we will be looking into the area of concern which is our electronic panels in order to avoid a reoccurrence in the future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here just for one night, too short!
We didn't have a renovated room, but still the bed was perfect (huge). The fun thing of the renovated room is the layout. From your bed you can watch the burj khalifa (if you're on that part of the hotel).
Breakfast was unbelievable. What a choice! We had lunch at Vu's restaurant and enjoyed it a lot!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Emirates Towers.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in the hotel. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your room and its view, as well as your dining experiences, particularly the breakfast selection and the lunch you have had in Vu’s restaurant..

We hope to welcome you back soon so you can experience one of our newly renovated rooms.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Jumeirah Emirates Tower has all the hallmarks of a top class international hotel - large rooms with good-sized working area; good location ( close to DIFC); separate shower and bath areas with nice bathroom amenities; good range of F & B outlets;cease of getting taxis. (Beds are heavenly too). My only comment is that it lacks the 'Dubai touch' - rooms are contemporary.
I was hoping that the shopping mall attached to the hotel can save me time in getting souvenirs - unfortunately , it lacks variety. Overall - this is a hotel I would return to for business. If I were in Dubai for leisure, I would go for another hotel with more 'soul'.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JumeirahTowers, General Manager at Jumeirah Emirates Towers, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience Jumeirah Emirates Towers is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. At the same time, I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations.

I have noted your overall experience and feedback regarding lack of cultural connectivity within the rooms as well as the lack of variety in The Boulevard shopping mall. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this respect. You will be pleased to know that we are to open more shops in The Boulevard to ensure that all our guests would get the services and items they would like to have without leaving the comfort of the hotel.
We are also reviewing our room amenities to ensure that we let our guests feel the Arabian / Dubai touch.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Emirates Towers in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the hospitality the hotel is renowned for.

London
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Firstly, apologies for the long review, but I want to paint a full picture of how awful our experince at this place was.

It seems that on Trip Advisor, whenever someone has written anything negative about this hotel, Grant Ruddiman (the General Manager), has made lofty promises of improvements and beckoned the complainer back with assurances of improved service. Well, let’s see what Mr Ruddiman has to say about my review…

We all make mistakes – and mine was to book this hotel, as well as to persuade my husband to stay there since he was adamant that he didn’t want to go to Dubai in the first place because there was nothing historical to see. Okay, I cajoled, there’s no culture or history as such, but the hotels are fantastic and it’ll be a great break for us and our 18 month old daughter after our two week hectic trip to India. I finally twisted his arm into agreeing. So, to make him appreciate Dubai and to prove that I was right, I set about trying to book a hotel that would exceed all expectations. We were on a budget, so a beach hotel was out of the question, so I picked the next best thing: the name Jumeirah had been bandied about quite a lot by our friends and others we knew who’d stayed in Dubai. So I booked our stay from 18th December to 28th December at Jumeirah Emirates Towers. It was in a central location and, although it was part of a good chain of hotels, it was cheaper than the beach resorts (or so I thought).

It started to go sour before we even got there. As we would be landing in Dubai on my husband’s birthday, my travel agent suggested I email the hotel to ask if they could do some kind of a gesture, like preparing a cake, for my husband. I emailed the hotel and also asked them if they’d be able to cater for our dietary requirements since I had a severe egg allergy and could we request a higher level floor with a good view. I received a standard response saying that they had received my email and would respond within 24 hours. One week passed and no reply. That really didn’t bode well – especially as Mr Ruddiman is quick to comment on Trip Advisor to promote his hotel. So I emailed again with my query and this time also asking if the hotel really were interested in accommodating their customers – if so, then why weren’t they responding to emails? Again, I received a standard response that they’d received my email and would respond within 24 hours. To date I have not had a reply. The point is that even if they couldn’t accommodate our request, is it not just common courtesy to respond to say so? In the end, my travel agent called the hotel directly and after much to-ing and fro-ing, he got them to arrange a cake for my husband.

I decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and was looking forward to staying in Dubai. We arrived on the morning of my husband’s birthday and proceeded to check-in. The man a reception (I think his name was Ali – let’s call him that anyway), was on the phone. He didn’t even bother to put the phone down all the while he checked us in! When he finally put the phone down, I asked if our room had a good view and he said “Yes, it’s okay”. Okay. When my husband was out of ear shot, I asked “Ali” whether the cake had been arranged. He said he had no record of it. He was dismissive and said the hotel might be able to arrange a cake for the following day or the day after since they were very busy that day. I said considering it was my husband’s birthday on that day, it would be futile to do it any other day. “Ali” sighed and said “If you go out of your room at 7pm, we can have someone bring up a cake and leave it in your room”.

Having read the different room rates on the board, my husband wandered over and asked “Ali” how much it would be to upgrade to the sea view room. “Ali” looked us up and down condescendingly, took in our jeans, t-shirts, trainers and young age, and actually with a sneer remarked “It’s out of your range”. What?! If it hadn’t been my husband’s birthday, I’d have pointed out that we were giving them our business by staying in this place for 10 nights and I’d have asked him to work out how much 10 nights at 2,500 dirhams per night would cost and then to rethink his comment about whether it was out of our “range”!

I controlled myself and off we went to our room on the 16th floor. The room was pleasant enough – nothing exciting or jaw-dropping. We had a view of the skyline, which when we lying down in bed, was obscured by their other building. Great. The bathroom was nice, but the shower was disappointing – couldn’t they afford a decent, large shower head instead of one that you’d find in any 2 or 3 star hotel? Quite disappointing.

That evening, to celebrate my husband’s birthday, I decided to book a restaurant for dinner. I’d heard good things about a place called “Little Italy”, but didn’t know where it was. So while my husband and toddler daughter slept to get over their jet lag, I phoned concierge and asked if they could book the restaurant for me. The man on the phone said he’d do so and would call me back to confirm he’d booked it. After ten minutes he called back to confirm our booking for 7.30pm. So far so good.

So we got ready and, as we were about to leave our room at 6.30pm, our cake arrived. The man wheeled it in and just put it on the desk and left: no smiles, no “happy birthday” – not what you’d expect from a supposed five star hotel.

Anyway, we left to go downstairs and got in a taxi outside the hotel. It all went downhill from there. We asked the taxi driver to take us to “Little Italy”. He said he’d never heard of it. So we asked one of the doormen outside the hotel and he said he didn’t know. I said we’d booked it through the hotel so he went off to speak to concierge. He returned and told the taxi driver that it was behind Ramis Hotel and gave him directions. The taxi driver said he knew where Ramis Hotel but was the doorman sure that’s where it was. The doorman replied that yes he was sure, so off we set. When we got to Ramis Hotel, there was no sign of the restaurant; we drove around, but still couldn’t find it. My husband even got out of the taxi and went inside Ramis Hotel to ask them, but they’d never heard of it. We drove around frustrated for 45 minutes, before my daughter started crying with hunger. We decided there was no alternative but to return to Jumeirah Emirates Towers. By this time it was 8.30pm and the taxi driver had charged us 35 dirhams for a pointless journey thanks to the hotel staff’s wrong directions.

I marched to reception, with my wailing daughter and irritated husband. I asked the man at reception that I needed to speak to the manager that very instant. The manager soon arrived – unfortunately, I didn’t catch her name, but she was very pleasant and helpful. I explained our situation to her and that we were tired, hungry and had missed our restaurant reservation. I said we wanted our taxi fare refunded or a car to take us to the restaurant. I was becoming increasingly aware that this was probably the worst birthday my husband had ever had. She was sympathetic and took us over to the concierge desk. She spoke to the man at the concierge desk (I didn’t catch his name, but it began with an “A” and he was a tall man in his 40s or 50s, of Indian origin) and asked him to refund the 35 dirhams. He looked at us and rudely said “No. I’m not giving anyone any refund. How do I even know the restaurant exists?” I replied that it did exist since someone at concierge had booked it for us! The reception manager interceded and asked him to give a refund as it was the hotel’s doorman who’d misdirected us. The man at the concierge desk patronisingly asked how we knew that the person who directed the taxi driver was a hotel doorman and not just anyone else. I replied dryly that I didn’t think there were many people apart from the hotel’s employees who wore an orange uniform and held doors open for guests. The man at the concierge desk retorted “Then the doorman should pay for the taxi charge, why should the hotel pay?” This was where my husband blew his top. He said “Look, it’s my birthday; I’ve just arrived at your hotel this morning after a hectic holiday elsewhere and I haven’t eaten since this morning and now thanks to your staff we’ve been driving around like fools for the past hour and have lost our restaurant reservation. I have the taxi receipt, so either you refund us or send a car to take us to the restaurant because I just want to eat now”. The man at the concierge desk, aware of other guests staring, mumbled something about the hotel car being too expensive and gave us our refund.

The reception manager then asked we’d like her to search for the restaurant again and check the address. We said yes. So she, the man at the concierge desk and my husband proceeded to search for the restaurant online. They found it, phoned them to confirm that it still had availability, got the right address and put us in another taxi. We finally got there – it was only ten minutes from the hotel – in a completely different place from where we were originally directed. The restaurant was very nice – a vegetarian Italian place, run by Indians, with lots of lovely food on the menu and excellent customer service – but we were very tired (mentally and physically), so our meal was strained and neither of us were in the mood to celebrate.

When trying to get back to the hotel, it was an absolute nightmare trying to flag down a taxi. We eventually returned to our hotel and I called room service to ask them collect our cake to put it in their fridge for us so that we could have it the next day (since we weren’t going to eat it that night and it might start going off and our mini bar fridge wasn’t large enough to keep the cake in). After being passed from pillar to post and back again (I ended up speaking to five different people as they couldn’t understand what I wanted), someone finally came to collect the cake while we wearily flopped into bed and slept.

The next morning we went down to breakfast, which was a nice spread. My husband asked if their miso soup was vegetarian. He was directed to four different people and one of whom eventually said that it was. So he got the soup – when I tried it, I thought it tasted a bit odd, but we were reassured it was vegetarian. We tried the watermelon juice and it had gone off. I told one of the waiters who said it was okay and I said “No, it has gone off. Try it”. So he assured me he’d remove it, but when by the time we’d finished our breakfast and were leaving, it was still there.

That day, we decided to relax by the pool. It is a small pool area and nothing special. I had hoped that since there was no beach at the hotel, they might make up for it by having a lovely pool. The pool was supposedly heated but it didn’t seem that warm to me and, as there’s a frequent cool breeze due to the wind tunnel created by the high rise buildings surrounding the hotel, it makes it very cold inside the pool – especially if you go in after 2pm.

We tried again that evening to get to another restaurant, but again the taxi drivers had no idea of where to go. When we asked the hotel to direct us, they just tried to fob us off by trying to convince us to dine at one of the many expensive restaurants in the mall that’s attached to the hotel. We ended up ordering dinner to our room. We ordered two dishes: spaghetti arrabiata and penne arrabiata and I specifically asked them make it completely mild since I’d be feeding some to my toddler daughter and my husband had stomach ulcers. They said they would ask the chef to make it completely mild but that as it would be made from scratch this would take 45 minutes. I said that was okay. When the meal came it was intolerably spicy – as if someone has tipped an entire jar of chilli powder into it! The pasta in both dishes was completely undercooked; not al dente. My husband had three or four mouthfuls as he didn’t want to kick up any more of a fuss than we already had during our first few days. But he couldn’t tolerate it and started getting stomach cramps. I called in-room dining to complain. A “manager” came up and apologised. My husband, by this time writhing in pain, explained that he’d eaten at many Italian restaurants in London and, actually, in Italy and this was NOT Italian cuisine. My husband is of Indian origin and pointed out that this dish tasted more like it had been made by an Indian chef, not an Italian one. The “manager” sheepishly acknowledged that the chef that had cooked this was Indian.

We asked for a refund as we couldn’t eat this – and certainly couldn’t feed it to our daughter. At 140 dirhams for two dishes our meal certainly wasn’t cheap and the portion size was small for the price! Remarkably, the “manager” refused to refund us! He said he’d happily replace the meal but wouldn’t provide a refund. This was ridiculous. (In London, a group of us once went to Pizza Express on Victoria Street, London for lunch. As it was the Christmas season, they were very busy and one our friend’s meals was late – it arrived after we’d all finished our meals. My friend complained and Pizza Express didn’t charge any of us for our food and gave us a profuse apology. If a high street chain like Pizza Express can provide such excellent customer care then why can’t a so-called five star chain like Jumeirah?). Anyway, we had no alternative but to accept. The next meal took 45 minutes to make as well, by which time I’d had to feed my daughter bread and butter and put her to sleep. My husband was in severe pain and refused to touch his meal when it arrived, so I had mine and it was much better. However, my husband and daughter went to bed hungry - and we were still charged for two full meals.

The following morning, after my husband’s dodgy stomach had finally settled, we went down to breakfast. Remembering the funny taste of the miso soup the morning before, I asked a member of staff if it was in fact vegetarian. No, I was told, it has beef stock in it! Now, how was I going to explain that to my pure vegetarian Hindu husband? It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but it is for my husband who’s never eaten meat in his life but now he had because of the stupidity of the staff at Jumeirah Emirates Towers. Seeing us looking forlorn, Vinod, the manager who is in charge of breakfast, asked us if we wanted anything. We explained we were vegetarian and I had an egg allergy and weren’t sure now of what we could and couldn’t have. He was great – he said he’d arrange something for us. He went off and brought a chef with him. I think the chef’s name was Patrick and he said he would make eggless croissants for us every morning while were staying there starting from tomorrow. Vinod then checked if that was okay with us and also played with our daughter. It was so refreshing to see a member of Jumeirah Emirates Towers’ staff taking an interest in customer welfare.

That day, we realised that apart from the main tourist attractions, the taxi drivers weren’t actually familiar with many places. So we decided to hire a car for 7 days. Budget Car Company have a hire service desk located at the hotel and it worked out to be about £30 per day for a decent car. Despite the erratic manoeuvres of Dubai’s drivers and getting used to left hand driving, it was the best decision we made, and we were free to travel where we wanted. We’d brought our Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with us and were able to use GPS on it to direct us to wherever we were driving. We didn’t bother using the hotel’s shuttle (after our experiences, we wanted as little to do with Jumeirah Emirates Towers as possible), but drove to Wild Wadi, so we weren’t tied down to their shuttle’s timings.

The next few days, we spent mostly out of the hotel, but whenever we arrived at our room, we had little cards under our door saying they had come to service our room. How much paper did these guys waste? And, on three occasions when we phoned them to say we were ready for our rooms to be cleaned, it took them over an hour to turn up! I have to say, when they did come, the staff cleaning the rooms were friendly and did a thorough job. This was a complete contrast from concierge as whenever we went to them to pick up the Wild Wadi tickets, they were very terse. I can’t understand why the level of service from that particular section was so poor. Again, it was completely different at breakfast, where staff were very helpful – especially, Vinod and Rishan.

One night we decided to order dinner in our room. But this time, we asked for Napolitana pasta, which is supposed to be completely mild. Just to make certain, I specified we wanted it mild. Again, I was told it would take 45 minutes to make it. What arrived 45 minutes later was a repeat of the spicy dishes we’d had before. Luckily, this time it was me and not my husband who tasted the dishes. I called in-room dining and yet again they sent up another manager. This different manager actually tried the meal in front of us and admitted it was extremely spicy. When I explained this had happened before, he said he wouldn’t charge us and replaced the dishes.

We spent Christmas Day at Dubai Mall (one tip: don’t bother paying to go inside the aquarium – you can see most of it for free from the outside), ate there and then returned to the hotel.

Some of our relatives from England were also in Dubai so, the following day (Boxing Day), we went to visit them at their hotel – Jumeirah Zabeel Saray on The Palm. It was a 45 minute drive, but was generally quite straight forward. We didn’t think much of The Palm itself (all high rise apartments), but our jaws dropped when we saw their hotel. It was gorgeous! The pool was nicely heated just like a heated pool should be, the staff were friendly, the hotel was gorgeous. We spent the whole day splashing about in the beautiful pool and had lunch there (and the staff catered to what we wanted). When we saw their “standard” room, it was amazing. A massive bed, a massive bath and a proper large shower head! We didn’t want to leave! We then found out that it was the same price to stay there as the Jumeirah Emirates Towers. Totally gutted!

We were left wondering why there was such a difference between two hotels that were both part of the Jumeirah group. When we grudgingly returned to our hotel, I felt as though we were simply staying in a slightly more upmarket Travelodge or Premier Inn – but paying through the roof for what we were getting. It seems that with Jumeirah Emirates Towers, we were paying for a substandard hotel simply because it was in a "central" location.

On our last night, we called reception to request a wake-up call at 4am (since we had an early flight). All well and good and we decided to get an early night, so we went to bed at 8.30pm. Then at 11.40pm our door bell rang several times. Not only did this wake me and my husband up, but also our daughter. It was member of staff “checking if everything was okay” and if we “needed anything”. What at 11.40pm??? Okay, we’d forgotten to put our Do Not Disturb sign up, but was this a reason to wake us up in the middle of the night just to check everything was okay? My daughter was now wide awake and it took me two hours to settle her back to sleep. So much for an early night!

When we checked out the following morning, we were asked to fill in a feedback card. I wrote down that we’d found the staff to be rude and unhelpful, we’d never be returning to this hotel and that I’d be posting a fuller review on the Trip Advisor website. The receptionist was glancing at what I was writing and I caught her bewildered expression. However, I did leave some sweets at reception for Vinod and Rishan (I hope they got them) as they seemed to be the only members of this hotel’s staff who knew what customer service was.

When we left, my husband and I vowed we’d never stay here again. If we’d booked into a three star hotel, then we’d probably expect this kind of service and wouldn’t quibble too much. But given that we’d spend £5,000 (25,000 dirhams) to stay here, this level of service was unacceptable. There are a handful of staff who are genuinely concerned about customer care: Vinod, Rishan, Claries (I think I’ve spelt that right – she’s a waitress at breakfast), Bikram (security at lifts), Sun (breakfast) and Patrick (pastry chef). Mr Ruddiman really should commend these people. However, the majority are aloof and will never go the extra mile for you – especially concierge, who all, for some reason, seem to have a chip on their shoulders.

I wonder what Mr Ruddiman will say to this. If he bothers to respond, I’m sure he’ll make his standard bland excuse about how he’s sorry, he’ll speak to the staff, make the improvements and look forward to welcoming us back...blah, blah, blah.... Or he might not even say anything.

Since we’ve returned, we’ve had an email from a Kapil Sharma regarding the comments I left when we checked out. He’s expressed his deepest apologies and asked us to provide him with a contact number so that he can call us to find out what exactly went wrong. The cynic in me says “funny how they email now, yet when I emailed them before our stay here, no one even bothered to respond”. Perhaps it was my threat that I’d post a fuller review on Trip Advisor that’s prompted him to respond as they don’t want the negative publicity. I mean, if they were genuinely concerned, wouldn’t they have done something about our complaints while we were staying there? Isn’t all this a bit like bolting the stable door once the horse has run off?

In short, if you’re specifically going to Dubai for business or just want to be in the city centre (close-ish to Mina Bazaar, Gold Souk etc) and don’t really care about how you’re treated by staff, then this hotel is okay – although I’m sure there are probably others in the area that must be better. But if you’re looking for a relaxing break and good customer service, then I would avoid this place. It ruined our stay in Dubai and allowed the words “I told you I didn’t want to come to Dubai – I’ll never listen to you again…” to pass my husband’s lips several times during our godforsaken stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Sanatana
JumeirahTowers, General Manager at Jumeirah Emirates Towers, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback which was first posted on the 7th of February. However when we were about to respond, within the next 48 hours the review was not available anymore and reappeared - albeit with some editing - on the 14th of February.

We endeavor to reach out to every single guest who has shared feedback with us through the medium of our Guest Comment Cards or who has escalated the matters to the management during the course of the stay at the hotel. Since our records show no escalation or request to see the management during your stay, the only feedback we had received was through the Guest Comment Card you had kindly filled in, and that is the reason why you had received an email from our Rooms Divisions Head, Mr. Kapil Sharma within the 24 hours who wanted to connect in order to get first hand detailed feedback. Unfortunately he did not receive a response.

Nevertheless, we sincerely appreciate you taking time to share your experience and comments with us and hence first and foremost, on behalf of my colleagues and the entire management of Jumeirah Emirates Towers, I would like to apologize for the disappointments you have had during your stay with us. Your comments have been well noted and I have thoroughly discussed all the points with the concerned departments.

I wish to assure you that our service standards are very important to us and hence worked upon each and every day, as this is the only way in which we can and will maintain consistency in a leading luxury property such as the Jumeirah Emirates Towers. At times things could go wrong; be it due to genuine human error or certain protocols not being followed or some preferences not being noted, but certainly the aim of my correspondence today is not to find excuses and rather acknowledge your feedback and regret the inconveniences you had to endure.

Due to the detailed nature of your feedback, which we would like to address and explain in person urgently, I am sending you a separate private message requesting you to provide us with your contact details so that a telephone conversation could be arranged.

Once again, I regret the disappointments and sincerely hope that you that you will afford us the opportunity to speak to you.

Yours sincerely,