“Still great hotel, but Russian armada also arrived in Dubai”

Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Ranked #72 of 555 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed April 3, 2010

First of all, I want to say that the JBH is still a great hotel. It was my second visit (previous was in 2005) and still enjoyed the great location and superb service.
However, I think the hotel might need some refurbishments. Everything is still in very good condition, but it starts to look a little bit outdated in my opinion. I also stayed in The Address Downtown Dubai during my stay and that's quite a big difference.
Second, the Russian armada also arrived in Dubai. I think more than 50% of the visitors were Russians. In fact, that's not a problem, but some of them behave very rude and unfriendly towards the personnel. I often felt compassion during my trip for some of the beach and pool personnel who were treated without any respect...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank babolat-blast
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Jumeirah Beach Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased that you have had good service throughout your stay and that you like the location of the property.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you again at Jumeirah Beach Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Jumeirah Beach Hotel

Reviewed March 31, 2010

Third visit to JBH, eighth to Dubai. My last review of the JBH was a bit critical, largley because of the behaviour of the other guests. We seem to have had a better batch this time and had a great stay. Had great weather for Feb (27-34 C).

We stayed in a normal balcony room , 2 adults and 2 children under 10. They will set up a sofa bed and a put-up bed. Is a little squashed in the room, but terrific value (compared to 2 connecting rooms). There happened to be a half board option which worked out well. Could eat in 9 selected restaurants in JBH and the Madinat complex.

Didnt use the children's club once, though it is excellent. Children loved the beach, the climbing wall, table tennis, tennis, the Wild Wadi access etc. Took one of the fishing boats out with ART Marine and caught 6 Barracuda and a Queen Fish - a lot of fun, if pricey.

Breakfast is still excellent. Drinks are very expensive. A bottle of house wine is now 99 AED (about £20), and oddly the same bottle is even more in some resort restaurants.

All in all an excellent break in a resort which still knows what its customers want out of a holiday.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Dear Guest,

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us in our deluxe balcony room category. I am also pleased that you have had good service throughout your stay and that you liked the half board option.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

Just back from a 9 day stay at the JBH. It was wonderful. Completely met our expectations, exceeded them even, based on other reports from Trip Advisor.

I won't repeat much of what has already been said in the various reviews, but I will point out a few things that I think might be of interest to you, readers.

Arrived first thing in the morning. Checked in, advised room not available until c. 2.00pm, given phone, and shown to 'holding area' for complimentary continental breakfast. We adjourned to the pool. They're pretty used to this routine obviously. Room ready by 11am. That was prompt.

We had two chidlren and from the room descriptions I had expected to get a room with twin beds. I was surprised that the room layouts didn't support twin double beds, but instead there was an extra roll away bed introduced and the sofa was a sofa-bed. It was a bit of a surprise, but it wasn't really a problem. You might just want to be aware of that.

All the rooms are amazing with great views. Get a high floored room for brill views of the Burj.

We stayed half board and I would recommend this (possibly, see below). The food prices are pretty high and staying half board means you can eat at a lot of the restaurants at the hotel and indeed across the resort at the other hotels (Al Qasr, Madinat, etc.) many of those restaurants are excellent.

As has been elsewhere noted the alcohol prices are steep. Some restaurants had the standard house wine at about £20 per bottle which was reasonably drinkable, but some of the other restaurants were charging £35 for this exact same house wine. The next cheapest wine was about £40 per bottle when really it was a £15 bottle at home. The variation in pricing across restaurants belies any notion that it's heavy taxation that drives the prices. This is no doubt true but it doesn't explain the variation across restaurants.

We also had membership of the Premium Leisure Club for our stay, which as has been noted elsewhere provides complimentary breakfasts, free soft drinks all day, afternoon tea, and happy hours with complimentary drinks (incl, wine, beer, spirits) from 6-8 as well as snacks, as well as free transfer to/from the airport. (There's a bit of a rush on the booze at 5 mins to 8.00pm and it's cleared away promptly, but the staff were well adept at refilling glasses of everyone with seconds left on the clock!) To be honest, the combination of PLC and HB was a bit much. I would suggest one or the other if staying again. You could easily stay in the PLC and have enough snacks one or two evenings to miss dinner, although I wouldn't recommend that approach every night. (the food was excellent in the PLC BTW.) Although it is nice to pop in in the afternoons for a soft drink and indeed some cocktails before dinner. But easily the most impressive thing about the PLC was the staff. They couldn't do enough to help us with dinner reservations, advice, and of course looking after and helping the children. They were truely exceptional--all of them! (Special thanks to Romy and co. for looking after us and the twins!) I didn't think much of the Exec pool--it's bit of trek with young kids even if it is exlcusive!

Also note that children under 5 eat free across the resort where there is a children's menu. This, coupled with the PLC deal encourages me even more to avoid HB in the future, since while we had HB vouchers for the children we didn't need to use them. Also note that the HB scheme is voucher based so it's not that you have to have a meal (either lunch or a dinner) per day. You can save them up and have lunch and dinner on the same day for example.

Also of note was the children's club. Absolutely fantastic. Great staff, very helpful, and very attentive. They also spend time in the PLC during the day so you can have lots of childcare!!!

The pools were great and as mentioned elsewhere the ratio of life guards per pool was outstanding.

Overall, this is a great hotel and really excellent for families. It's a big hotel and if you're looking for something small and intimate this is not for you. (Try the Carlisle Bay in Antigua if that's what you want--we stayed there a couple of years ago with the kids and it's brilliant too, in a different way.) But the attention to detail and service quality, along with the friendliness of ALL of the staff to us and especially the children was second to none.

We'll definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank KMcCorry
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2010

Dear Guest,

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us in our Premium Leisure club room. I am pleased to read that you and your family have enjoyed our facilities such as the Sinbad’s kids club, and the pools. I am also pleased that you have had good service throughout your stay and that you found value from the half board offering.

Reviewed March 30, 2010

The ride up to the hotel was great. It is shaped like a wave and is in the nice part of Dubai close to the 7 star Burj Al Arab. The doorman and reception were great, but it did take some time to check in as they had a large crowd. The room was spacious as was the bathroom with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the beach and Burj al Arab. It had a blue ocean theme and the bed was very comfortable. The turn down service included a fruit platter, chocolates on the pillows, slippers and towels bedside. The gym was the best I have been to at any hotel and is equivalent to a 24 hour fitness sport in the states with a raquet ball court, gym equipment, cardio, free weights, sauna, massage, pools, and connected to Wild Wadi Waterpark which was a blast. I went down the large slide they had and it was fun and kind of scary on some parts. It felt like I might fall out the side. The admission to the water park and the beach were inclusive with the hotel stay. We had free breakfast every morning at the restaurant downstairs near the lobby or the one on the beach. We ate at both, but I think the one near the beach had something bad since my wife and I got the stomach bugs, maybe it was the camel milk, cheese, or something else. Other than that the inside restaurant was a better selection. We took a buggy to the Sky bar on the top floor of the Burj al Arab and had some drinks and appetizers which came out to around $100. It did not meet my expectations. The most expensive drink in the world (Guiness Book of World Records) was served there and it was sold out (like $7200 for one shot or glass). I highly recommend it during the day as at nighttime you can't really see anything (maybe try tea time?) It had free wi-fi and a free shuttle to the Emirates mall and sister properties. I will try to visit the Dubai mall next time as we missed it since it has an aquarium. The Emirates mall is the one with a ski slope inside and it very unique compared to other shopping centers I've been too. I guess it is standard practice in the Middle East to have bowling alleys inside the mall. We made the mistake and went during Ramadan (holy month) and we were not able to eat or drink out in public during the day so we had to get food to go and take it to our hotel room to eat. Overall the experience at JBH was great, but it was kind of pricey, but what can you expect from a 5 star hotel?

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the facilities such as the room, gym, Water Park, and Food & Beverages within the resort good.

We have taken on board your feedback regarding the waiting time to check in and will be making some changes in this regard shortly.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel about 8 times in the last 2-3 years, always in the club executive rooms. Up until our most recent stay I always highly recommended this hotel. The hotel/decor is somewhat dated compared to newer hotels in Dubai but the service, personal attention and facilities are what had impressed us so much in the past.

The concierge staff have always been excellent and very helpful, the club executive staff are also usually extremely pleasant and helpful. Some staff in the ground floor reception area can be rude and checking in/out in this area can be very slow. Other staff throughout the hotel/grounds are always very polite and helpful.

The hotel rooms and facilities are well described by other guests - it really is a very large complex with lots on offer, very good leisure/sports facilites including excellent gym. Spa not as decadent or extensive as newer hotels in Dubai.

During our most recent stay we had some ïssues at the beginning such as delayed room availability and the reception staff did not call when the room was ready even though they provided a phone for this purpose, after long delay then issued a smoking room even though requested non-smoking, moved to new room that wasn't prepared (e.g. no coffee/tea making facilities, slippers, information folders, magazines, club executive complimentary items, etc) & luggage temporarily "lost", sirius points not added yet membership number on the bill. Not all huge problems but had not had such issues during previous stays and not expected when staying at this type of hotel.

After much deliberation we have decided to return to JBH in April and will try a suite this time - very much hoping we don't regret our decision to return to JBH.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2010

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed your residence with us for many years at the Jumeirah Beach hotel. I am also pleased to read that you find our staff polite and helpful.

I am sorry that there were some aspects of your stay in regards to not being able to settle into your room right away, which were not up to your expectation.

Reviewed March 27, 2010

This review is a little late considering we stayed at JBH in October 2007 but I'll explain why - My wife and I spent a week here with with a large party of business associates and had the most fantastic holiday, the room was excellent, the food was great and the staff were very attentive - nobody more so than Lak at the executive pool who catered for our every need on a daily basis. There were approximately forty people in our party and throughout our stay I never heard a single negative comment from anybody!

We decided last year (2009) to book another trip to Dubai in May and we priced up various hotels in the Jumeirah Beach area - due to costs we ended up staying at the Royal Meridien up near the Marina. Absolutely no complaints with the hotel, it was very good but one evening we decided to get a taxi over to JBH to have a couple of cocktails at the 360 bar - it was like coming home, at that moment we realised that we should have paid the extra.

Last week we booked another week at JBH to celebrate my birthday at the end of May and I can only hope that we enjoy it as much this time as we did the first time - I'll no doubt be back to Trip Advisor in June with an update.

If you're debating whether or not to spend the extra on this hotel, stop debating and get it booked - You won't regret it!

• Stayed: October 2007

Dear Guest,

I was really pleased to read that you and your party have enjoyed your stay with us in 2007, and moreover I am pleased that you are returning to stay with us in May.

Reviewed March 23, 2010

Quite simply, the best hotel I have stayed in ever. OK, so it's not the trendiest, or the most luxurious, but what it does best is service, ambience and variety. The rooms are massive - and i stayed in a basic Ocean deluxe room. Basic meant a seating area (usually considered to be a suite in other hotels), a huge bed, flat screen TV, fruit every day, plus all the freebies, er I mean extras you get in a nice hotel such as slippers, body lotion, and rather sun-aware of the hotel - sunblock. Great views of the burj and the marina with permananently moored yachts from the floor to ceiling windows. So that's the room. The brekkie - my God, if I had more room in my stomach and no colleagues with me (gets a bit embarrassing when you go up for the 4th time) I would eat the breakfast from 7am to 11am i.e. for the whole breakfast session. International breakfast galore. I ate everything I wouldn't eat for brekkie normally - dim sum and sambal anyone?? Service - amazing. Staff were courteous and polite. The hotel have a policy of greeting guests before you even have eye contact. Restaurants - everyone affiliated iwth the hotel, even the tacky one had good food. The surroundings and general environment were nicely done, the grounds were well maintained and nothing felt too contrived. I stayed for a good few days during a business trip and would highly recommend the hotel for all - friends, couples, families, business travellers. The hotel appeared very child-friendly too. The beach was great - clean, right opposite the burj, free towels/sun loungers and a guy who goes around giving out refreshing ice lollies. If I had to pick some bad points it would be excessive housekeeping - I'm sure they check up on each room at least 3 times a day. This means you could not have an unbroken nap if that's what you were after. The lifts were a bit dodgy and kept skipping my floor - that was very annoying. And the TV reception was really poor, but then it is the UAE. But overall - 10 out of 10!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

Dear Guest,

I was really pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you found a good variety of Food & Beverages within the resort. I am also pleased to read that you have received good service throughout your stay.

We have taken on board your feedback regarding the excessive housekeeping service, hotel lifts, and TV reception in the rooms and will be making some changes in this regard shortly.