“Fabulous hotel in a great location - just very expensive!!!”

Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Ranked #57 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Birmingham UK
“Fabulous hotel in a great location - just very expensive!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed for 5 days as a treat for my youngest son (aged 12) at the start of the Easter holidays. Had to come without my husband who couldnt get away from work, and my eldest son was on a rugby tour. Travelled with Emirates and all went very smoothly with prompt pick up from the airport and the Kuoni rep to meet us. Even though it was late (2am) the staff on reception were fabulous and we were offered a refreshing glass of juice whilst checking in. The twin room we had on the 4th floor was more than acceptable and they are a really decent size!! Fab bathroom too, with a huge shower and bath. Great views of the Burj and the hotel grounds/Wild Wadi from the windows. The hotel is huge from the outside but very easy to get around, with frequent lifts.
The pool was large with more than enough sunloungers - those of you with small kids would probably want to use the family pool with beach/slide etc - but the larger pool was really safe and I counted 5 Lifeguards on duty around it at one time! Unbelievable!
Breakfasts were amazing too, quite the best I have had - and I have stayed in some gorgeous 5* hotels in my time in Bangkok, Singapore, Phuket, New York etc. Latitude was a little spread out for my taste, but the buffet choices were amazing particularly the pastries. Thats open until 11am but expect to queue at weekends and busy times after about 10.15. We went most of the time at Beachcombers for breakfast (open later until 11.30am!) because it was less frenetic and on the sands with outdoor terrace right by the Burj.
Spent most of our time being very lazy and using the pool and the Wild Wadi which is complimentary and just great to pop in and out of for the odd hour when you're bored!
We ate in Go West which was quite expensive for what it was, but huge portions which we couldnt finish. Great band though... We also had a nice pizza in La Verandah one evening after a late night shopping spree at the new Dubai Mall (Aquarium is well worth a look) and that was wonderful to watch the lights changing on the Burj. Otherwise we ate at the Madinat Jumeirah at The Meat Co and the Indian restaurant ? Usnar. Take the complimentary buggys up the beach and also visit the souk there before you eat. The restaurants there are pricey but really lovely to sit on the waterfront and watch the water taxis ply up and down. Theres a Trader Vics there too but for all those restaurants, best to book before you go. We went on the Arabian Adventures Dune adventure too - fun and my son really enjoyed it. Great to get out of the city.......!
On the negative side, yes it is expensive, so be prepared for it., although its still a shock when you get there!! We just filled up on breakfast and took muffins/pastries and fruit/water to the pool and skipped lunch! Around the pool the guys give you cucumber and oranges and fruit lollies as well as cold towels which is a nice touch.
The other thing that did annoy me was that there is nowhere in the hotel where you can go in the evening for a little nightcap with your child - there are some great bars which are all for over 21s. So what tends to happen is that all the parents with kids gather at the Palm Court in the lobby for a drink. It gets very busy, with lots of kids running around and frankly it is just a bit boring for them too!! I appreciate the comments from another reviewer about the children, and I think this is probably why they are quite so visible in the evenings? But at least the adults had a choice of where to drink!! Much better if the hotel had an internet or games room to give the teenagers something to do at night?
In retrospect, I would have paid more and gone to the Premium Leisure Club (which we had a look around when checking out) as it had a nice lounge with stuff for the kids to do, like Interenet and PS, and a terrace for afternoon tea and a bar open until 2am with kids allowed!!
Generally though I really loved the Jumeirah Beach and will go back. The staff are second to none and the food of a really good standard. I can take or leave the City of Dubai though as frankly its just a building site and some of those skyscrapers look like they will never get finished....!! Believe me the best way to see Dubai is at a distance from a 5* hotel!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank KMDBirminghamUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,145)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mount Waverley, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2009

We loved everything about this hotel the service the people the experience the view to die for. Can never forget the beautiful food served to us in the restaurants it is just an amazing place. Unforgettable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank AlbaLima
Luton, Bedfordshire
Reviewed March 31, 2009

There are a lot of good things about this hotel. Waiting nearly two hours for your room to be made ready is not one of them. Swarms of hotel staff go out of their way to help you, call lifts, ask if you are OK, and in doing so annoy you intensely. It might be all right for the hordes of Americans staying at innumerable conferences, but not for we travellers more used to quiet and relaxation. Everything was 10-15% overpriced in my view, probably to pay for the staff. The place was swarming with what appeared to be Russian families, who obviously do not send their noisy, ill mannered children to school, but allow them to skate in what was supposed to be a relatively refined restaurant. Which could not have been that good, as it flooded during a thunderstorm, wetting our table and forcing a retreat.No apology from staff, though they did mop up promptly. Yes, the rain was heavy, but the building leaks, in the Latitude restaurant. But as the kids were in beachwear they didn't care. I have seen the same sort of crowd in 3star all inclusives in the Canaries (seen, but not stayed) and as far as I am concerned this is not a true 5 star. It has all the features, none of the class. But I suppose that is the case with Dubai, never mind the quality, look at the size ( and price) The hotel looks impressive, and with its near neighbour the Burj Al Arab (clearly seen-nay unavoidable- from every bedroom) dominates the scenery. Golf trolleys whisk you around- this was great- especially to the nearby Madinat Jumeirah complex, which looked quieter and more Adult friendly. I wish we had stayed there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank wat4der
Manchester, UK
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Just returned from 10 night stay at the hotel and would return in a heartbeat. My husband and I travelled with our 2 kids aged 4 and 6, booked with Kuoni and flew Emirates. Upgraded to Premium Leisure. The whole journey was slick and seemless. On arrival in Dubai, we were greeted by hotel staff and taken into the hotel lounge to await our private transfer. We were taken to the car and the driver had drinks for us.
Short transfer. Premium Leisure have their own dedicated staff, reception area and check in. Extremely professional and friendly staff. We arrived at 7am and our room wasn't ready - they gave us a phone and within about an hour called us to tell us our room was ready. Staff escorted to the room and orienteered us which was vital given the size of the resort. Premium Leisure rooms are excellent. Spacious, clean and well organised. V comfortable for our family. There are not balconies with these rooms so be prepared to pay more if you require one. The views are stunning, but if you do not like heights you need to request a lower floor room.
Premium Leisure worked brilliantly for us and was worth every penny. Private breakfast area, access to Executive beach, pool and lounge. Also added the personal touch as we were greeted by name by many staff throughout the holiday. There were queues at breakfast time in the main breakfast area in the hotel and being able to avoid this was good for us.
Throughout the resort customer service was outstanding. The golf carts were useful when visiting Madinat, Burj al arab and skooting around the hotel grounds with tired kids!
Brilliant kids club - great staff/kid ratio. Staff very enthusiastic and our kids liked them.
Plenty of choice in eateries but we warned just how expensive it is on site.
Pools and beach were well manned and well maintained. Loads of life guards - especially in Wild Wadi - brilliant!
The sports pavillion is excellent - the gym is well equipped and great classes like Body Pump.
Great location - everything is close at hand and easily accessible.
Overall it was a great holiday experience, would return and would recommend. Any queries please ask away

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank isodinky
wales, uk
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights with my husband. Had a fantastic time. Left kids at home so made the most of it!

Everything is expensive here down to a can of pepsi, but its well worth every penny. You just have to be prepared for it before you go. We weren't but luckliy it didn't worry us.

Sun does dissapear around 4pm which was very annoying. As much as the Burj it great to look at, its not great when it blocks my sun!!!!!!

Food, rooms, check in,check out - cant fault a thing!
Would stay here again. 100%

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
camberley
Reviewed March 26, 2009

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel and its still as good as the previous times. I will be returning later this year. As other fellow travellers have commented it is expensive at the hotel but it is a 5 star Having said this when I stay at the hotel I always book the Executive floor which is more money but long term it works out less. With this you receive complimentary return limo transfers to and from the hotel. You have a bigger room and bathroom and a shower you could fit about 6 people in. All your room products are Elemis. You have a separate check in area at the hotel on the Executive floor.
The beach buggy takes you to the executive beach and pool which is private where it is nice and quiet and throughout the day the staff come round with cold towels , ice lollys, cucumber for you eyes and the sunloungers have nice thick mattresses with pillows. During the day you can have complimentary soft drinks on the executive floor and afternoon tea. Then early evening you can have canopes which are delicious and complimentery drinks anything you can think of all premium brand for 2 hours this is followed by a further 1 hour in the bar downstairs. I'm not an alcholic but as the drinks are so expensive its worth paying the extra as you get your money back. Wild wadi is great fun and so is the Sandboarding in the desert. If you like shopping you will love it here especially if you like jewellery its worth a visit to the gold souq remember to haggle though. The staff are very attentive the service is excellent what more can I say apart from I love this place just wish I could afford to stay longer than a week.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank muirhead26
reading
Reviewed March 22, 2009

WOW! This hotel is truely amazing. They treat you like royalty without being intrusive. The hotel rooms are amazing with stunning views. The pools and the beach are spotless and although the hotel was full, it never felt that busy around the place. The breakfast is unbelievable, I have never seen so much food before in one place! We had an executive room and I would def recommend paying the extra as you get 2-3 hours of free alcohol and canapes every evening and even when the time is nearly up they come round and ask if you would like to have some extra glasses as happy hour nearly ending! Will def be going back but this time with the children. Recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple