“No longer a 5 star hotel”

Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Ranked #57 of 540 Hotels in Dubai
London, United Kingdom
“No longer a 5 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from my third stay at JBH and was somewhat let down by the whole experience. It was about 5 years since I stayed there and although the 5 star deluxe benchmark has certainly moved on in that time sadly this hotel hasn't. We stayed in a junior suite with large balcony facing the Burj Khalifa. I would recommend insisting on a balcony view facing the other way (toward the Burj Al Arab/ Wild Wadi ) rather than this end as you get far more time in the sun plus better views.

Overall pros:

- general service and attitude of staff was excellent as ever room was cleaned meticulously each day.

- location is superb and pools/ poolside service particularly at the executive club pool is one of the best I've ever experienced.

- gym facilities are superb and contain all the usual technogym equipment you would expect to find.

Unfortunately there are also the cons

- complimentary transfer from the airport to the hotel which I'd arranged and also re-confirmed before arrival simply didn't bother to show up and after waiting 15mins in hope we gave up and took a taxi and our own expense.

- the junior suite with balcony is no longer up to scratch with what is expected of a 5 star deluxe hotel. Closet space was almost an afterthought and hidden away in a tiny nook of the room. The was no separate shower cubicle and shower water pressure and temperature were extremely tempremental. The in room shower facilities were in fact so bad I chose to have my evening showers in the gym facility! Again simply not good enough when you're paying these rates for a supposed 5 star hotel.

- although the room was cleaned perfectly each day the cleaners continually omitted to clean or sweep the balcony. The result of this would be that all the cigarette butts, ash etc from the bar balcony above us would simply blow down on to our balcony and never get cleaned leaving it in a disgusting state. There was throughtout our stay the mouldy remains of several rolled up cigarettes on the balcony drain which the cleaners seem to happily ignore. If the manager is reading his he'd do well to send the cleaners up to take care of this before the next guests check in and give them instructions to sweep it in future.

- the breakfast buffet at Lattitude offers great choice however the food simply isn't up to scratch. The only pre-made eggs on offer each day were a horribly runny bowl of scrambled eggs. This forces everyone to have to elect to use the egg chef which caused 20 minute queues just to get your breakfast ready. If your chefs aren't good enough to make simple scrambled eggs then there really isn't much hope of getting anything else right.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Big-ATA
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Jumeirah Beach Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was concerned to learn that you left the hotel feeling disappointed. I would like to personally apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. While we have identified the shortfalls, please rest assured that these were an isolated incidents which is not representative of the high standard of facilities we maintain. I have also noted all your comments and passed on to the management team to look into the matter to enhance the service and taking corrective action where required so that we exceed your expectations in the future..

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Jumeirah Beach Hotel.

Mahmoud Sakr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times now with my wife & young daughter - now 9 years old - and it just gets better every time. Everything is just perfect, the service, the location, the staff - the whole experience. We booked premium leisure which gave us half board. The hotel handle our pick up at the airport and treated us like VIPs. We arrived and were shown straight to breakfast, really welcome after a long flight, before checking in to our room.
All the staff greet you with a smile and nothing is too much trouble. Our daughter loves the kids club, she's been in there every year and raves about it. The food is fantastic & on the half board gives you 3 course evening meal, but we only made it to puddings once, and with such a choice of where to eat, you're spoilt for choice. If you're looking for a relaxing beach holiday in luxury surroundings looked after by quality staff, this is the place.
Only small downside is drinking can be expensive, even compared to major city centre restaurants, but its well worth it for everything else.

Room Tip: All rooms are sea facing and the smallest room is twice the size of a standard hotel room. We'v...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank AlanGR007
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were overall happy with the services provided by our colleagues.

Our prime focus is to the provide efficient, warm and friendly service to all our guests and your mention about these services is very encouraging and a great pride for the entire team. Your comment with regards to the overpriced Beverages has been noted and I would like to inform you that we do monitor and constantly revised our prices in order to stay in the competitive market of 5 star resorts. I have shared your comment with the teams and they all are equally happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was our second family stay at this hotel. Truly a special place. We booked the Premium Leisure Club package, I highly recommend this - includes all day snacks (great for young kids), complimentary airport transfers (efficient and arrive is style) and our favourite - use of the Executive Pool. We arrived at 6am and the even though check-in is at 2pm we were given a room. And what a room! We got the newly refurbushed room, really well appointed with a bed that is super comfortable.

All the rooms face the beach and the beautifully designed Burj-al-Arab - this view is simply breathtaking.

We had a half board package and could choose either lunch or dinner in more than 20 restuarants. What a treat! The food was amazing, would recommend the gourmet burger at the Executive Pool.

The kids loved Wild Wadi, with complimentary entry right next to the hotel. The water temparature was perfect for the winter time of the year. The wave pool was so warm we did not want to leave. The Executive Pool had great service. In fact, every employee at the hotel greated us with a smile. You get the sense that all the employees are truly happy to be working for the Jumeirah group. We have stayed at many five star hotels but the staff are a cut above the rest.

Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Book the newly refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ziy_123
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. I am especially delighted to learn that you found our colleagues enjoying their jobs. I am also very happy to learn that i am surrounded by colleagues who exactly know how to deliver an excellent service to our valuable guests. Thank you for the very detailed feedback and mentioning so many positive elements about the resort.

south london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a friend for 4 nights, I can honestly say it was pure luxury, the staff and the welcome you receive makes you feel like royalty, nothing is too much trouble for these people everything they do for you is done with a smile, we ate at several of the restuarants but the one that stood out for me was Villa Beach the food was beautiful and again the wonderful staff and the service they give was excellent, the rooms were beautiful and the furnishings and the toiletries were of very high standard, there were lots of little extras like fresh fruit in the room everyday, plenty of tea and coffee, the beds were turn down in the evening and little chocolates left on the bed, my stay here was so wonderful I could go on forever, but i will just finish by saying this is without a doubt the BEST hotel I have stayed in.

Room Tip: we had half board which I highly recommend lots of restuarants on the dine around plan,,,
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank bettySouthLondon
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. Your kind comment about our colleagues is highly appreciated.

Turn Down amenities are some of our several touches we have developed to delight our guests especially kids, and I am happy to hear that you found them very impressive. I have shared your comment with the entire team and they all are equally happy to hear that you had an amazing holiday with us.

staffs, uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Never even got to stay here as they do not guarantee that myself and husband's room would adjoin our girls room. At 3 and 6 years old - this is a must. We were advised to split the adults and children up to one in each room. How poor is that! A shame as I really wanted to go here but we've found another hotel along from it more accommodating.

Stayed February 2012
4 Thank itchyfeetlady
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Jumeirah Beach Hotel on tripadvisor.

I was concerned to read that you left the hotel feeling disappointed. I would like to personally apologies to you if we did not meet your expectations. I would like to pledge to you that it is certainly never our intend to disappoint our guests than the wonderful memories. Your comment with regards to room allocation has been noted and passed on to the concern manager to look into the matter and taking corrective action where required so that we exceed your expectations on your next visit. In the meanwhile may i request you to provide us some more details about your stay, your room number, arrival and departure date so that our team can update your preferences into the system.

Dewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is our 10th stay at this hotel. We have tried others...Grosvenor House, Atlantis and Le Royal Meridian which are all lovely but this hotel has it all. We feel at home as soon as we walk through the doors and know we are in for a stress free relaxing time.
Originally we started visiting with our teenagers and have continued to stay here even without them!
We love the executive pool and beach area. Ali and Sanjeev really looked after us.
Jackie and Chellie in the executive club were as efficient and welcoming as ever and Rajesh who looked after our room was great ...always so pleasant and helpful. The towel crocodile was amazing!
Had a great night out for my birthday at Jambase the supper club. The food here is superb too as good as any of the top restaurants around.
Already booked our return!

Room Tip: The newly refurbished rooms are wonderful but the older rooms are still lovely
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank HelenFinelli
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. Our colleagues are our asset and we put lot of efforts to train our colleagues to deliver the good quality service to all our guests, and your mention of superlative service during your stay is very encouraging and brings us immense joy.

Towel animals is one of our several touches we have developed to delight our guests especially kids, and I am happy to hear that you found it very impressive. I have shared your comment with the entire team specially with Sanjeeve, Ali, Chellie, Rajesh and Jacqui and they all are equally happy to hear that you had an amazing holiday with us.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Finally I am writing a review as promised to a couple of the waiters when we visited Jumeirah Beach Hotel in June 2012. This was our 2nd visit, the first time in 2007. The interaction between the staff and guests was a big improvement on our first visit. The service provided was excellent. We ate in this restaurant, once at lunch time and once in the evening. The food was really tasty and the choice of food on the buffet was outstanding. Compliments to the chefs and the staff. We will see you again soon....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 40TraceyT
JBH_Management, General Manager at Jumeirah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with the services provided by our colleagues. Your kind comments regarding our colleagues is greatly appreciated, I have shared this with them and they are very happy to learn that their efforts are highly appreciated by our guest. It is certainly our intention to ensure you are well looked after, it is very pleasing to know that our service standards exceeded your expectations.