“Oozing exclusivity”

Burj Al Arab Jumeirah
Ranked #24 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spending five nights in the Burj al Arab was a once in a lifetime experience. Nothing was too much trouble from the moment we arrived. Our butler, Anna, was helpful and charming and sourced lemon and honey for my sore throat. Complimentary flowers, local sweets and wine arrived in our suite and little gifts appeared at our bedside every evening. My husband particularly enjoyed his cuticle cream! The Hermes toiletries in the bathroom were a luxurious treat, especially the foaming bath tablets. We were spoilt for space in our suite and it was a peaceful haven once we had dodged through the numerous tourists taking photographs in the lobby. Breakfast was very good but apart from room service on our first night, we didn't eat in the hotel. The gym and spa on the 18th floor were beautiful and you must visit the swimming pool there. The infinity edge stretches up close to the glass and the view is amazing. The buggies to the beach were plentiful and we never had to wait - although I know that is not always the case at peak times. On one negative note, had we been travelling with our children they would have been very disappointed that the Wild Wadi Waterpark was closed for 2 weeks. We were not informed of this prior to our arrival also we were only told on the day of our arrival that the outdoor pool was unavailable. This left us only with the beach which we were happy with but families may not have been. All in all a wonderful exclusive break but perhaps more suited to couples than families. When travelling with our family we will continue to use the other superb Jumeirah hotels - Jumeirah Beach and Mina a'Salam.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nicola W
Heinrich_Morio, General Manager at Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Greetings from Burj Al Arab.

We are delighted to read your great review post your visit in Burj Al Arab. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

We have communicated your feedback with regards to us not informing you about the closure of some of the amenities to the relevant team. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Burj Al Arab in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Burj Al Arab is renowned for.

Burj Al Arab

Write a ReviewReviews (4,467)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Burj last December after wanting to see what all the fuss was about with a 7* hotel status, although i still don't see how you can get 7 out of 5, but either way it was an incredible experience.

Pros:

Incredible rooms, with a double story set up with over 100 light bulbs per suite to provide mood lighting etc.
Enormous elaborate lounge and bedroom with a rather suggestible mirror on the ceiling.
9/10 exceptional staff (one was a little keen on checking her mobile phone, but maybe I'm being pedantic?)
The food bought to the room and welcome drinks were a lovely touch
The sky lounge cocktail bar is worth a visit but with a minimum spend, it was a little cheeky, although as you could imagine in the Burj it didn't take long to spend the said minimum!
The adjacent water park was fun and provided a healthy rest bite from the air of protentiousness and OTT ambiance of the Burj.
Best breakfast I've ever had in my life and worth having it prepared in your room.
Loads of freebies to take home from the suite which made for a nice touch.

Negatives:
Bloomin' expensive, but on reflection worth it for a one night treat. I think if i was super minted I still wouldn't want to stay more than a night as it is quite an intense experience.
The remote control to activate and work the sound, lights, TV etc was excessively confusing and too much hassle. I want to relax and enjoy not remember shed loads of instructions.

It's a real experience and nothing is too much hassle to please you the indulgent guest, but I wouldn't go back, I'd try something else. Still say it's the best hotel I've been to and I'm extremely glad I went.

Room Tip: All rooms are impeccable. Higher floors feel a little more special being above the rest but I think...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MeAndMyMisses
Heinrich_Morio, General Manager at Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Greetings from Burj Al Arab.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay in Burj Al Arab. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Burj Al Arab. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us highlighting the ambiance & facilities of the hotel and your culinary experience.

We are also pleased to know that the service provided by our colleagues was up to your expectations and that you enjoyed the views from your suite.

We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.

Please note that your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience Burj Al Arab is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. At the same time, I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations.

I have noted your feedback regarding one of our colleagues who was checking her mobile phone more than once. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for. Please note that I have personally passed your concerns to our Operations Manager in order to review the procedures in delivering our luxury service standards to our valued guests where appropriate to the colleagues involved.

I also noticed your feedback regarding our remote control in the suite. Allow me please to highlight that we have implemented the options of the main remote control in the TV remote control as well which makes it easier to use. We also added a button that allows you to call your butler in case you needed any guidance or assistance.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Burj Al Arab in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Burj Al Arab is renowned for.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in 2012, mercedes transfer from the airport to hotel which is very nice, for an extra 500 you can have a rolls royce. The hotel has a lounge style setup in the airport where you can check in to the hotel and have refreshments while you wait for your driver. Very professional and have not seen this anywhere else. The hotel is amazing and the service impeccable at every turn as others have mentioned. On its own island with gated entry you feel very priveleged and exclusive. Ferraris out front a nice touch for the car enthusiast in me :)

The pool at the top of the hotel has amazing views, everytime we went up there we had the place to ourselves, its a must do.
I even went and had a haircut at the salon up there and without a booking they took me in even though they were taking photos of models for a magazine!! I enjoyed that view, wife didnt :)
This hotel is one of the best you will ever stay at it only loses one mark for value as some of the drinks were really expensive (tax) but then again if you can afford to stay at here you can afford the drinks.

We were upgraded to a bigger a room (its huge) and its floor to ceiling windows offer amazing views of the city, haze permitting. Spread over 2 levels im sure there were parts of it we never discovered. The rooms are of a decadance some will never experience, even if some say they are dated.

A must visit once in your lifetime.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James_Ivory
Heinrich_Morio, General Manager at Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Greetings from Burj Al Arab.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Burj Al Arab. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us highlighting your arrival experience, the hotel’s ambiance and the service provided by our colleagues.

I have noted your feedback regarding the pricing of beverage in the restaurant, allow me please to highlight that our premium products which are sourced from overseas comes on higher price and then followed by various import fees in Dubai, these factors do affect the retail rate of these products. However the head sommelier has been asked to present entry level wine list in various price range so that our valued guests get more options to choose from.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Burj Al Arab in the future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My friend(who is a girl) and I came to Dubai mainly because we wanted to check out how good Burj Al Arab was. We are staying in this hotel now but there were many things which pissed us off today.

First, the check in part. Our tour guide requested for an early check in at 1:30pm and he got a confirmation from this hotel. We were on a tour of around 8 people on the shuttle bus waiting at the hotel entrance at 1:45pm but the hotel didn't let us in because they said the group check in time is 3pm. My friend and I booked a table in Al Mahara for 2 at 2pm. The delay of my check in time made us very annoyed since we were expecting to have lunch but then we needed to wait outside the gate. What a warm welcome from a so called 7 stars hotel!

The lunch was alright, the fish tank was fantastic and food is quite good. The service is that good at all, the service you get from Shangri-la, four season or Mandarin hotel is a lot better than this.

After lunch, we went to our suite for check in, suite is spacious, and the decor is exquisite. The view from the hotel was marvelous as we can see the ocean from the window. There was a lady who helped us with the check in the room. and the check in part is alright, at least she tried to wear a smile on her face. We were told that there will be someone who was going to give us a brief intro about the room, we have waited for about 25 mins but no one came. Later a male staff Joseph came into our room and promised he would change the amenity set from male to female and he asked us whether we are in a hurry or not, we thought he asked this because he was worried that we didn't have too much time for him. So I told him, no we are not and we were expecting him to tell us all then important information about the room.We asked him if we could have a spare box of chocolate and postcard. Ironically, his answer was"okay, if you are not in a hurry, I will come back later" and he left without telling us what he is engaging in and how long it takes him to come back. I don't know why it took him so long though.

After 10 minutes Joseph came back he brought us two glasses of welcome drink, it's a very nice drink. But the guy did not bring us the confectionary or postcard. Nor could he remembered we have asked this questions. The brief introduction was so brief that it only takes less than 3 minutes and the toilet amenity set is not correct and he didn't even notice until we reassure him no one came to change the amenity set. We told Joseph that the size of the slippers were not correct as one of it is size 44 and the other 41. Both are way too big for ladies. We asked for size 37. And finally we get size 39 which is not correct. The amenity took ages to be changed. They didn't give a set of shampoo and shower gel for two people and we had to called the housekeeping and asked for it. It's very very inefficient for a hotel to run like this, we needed to call for more than 4 times in total in 2 hours to urge them to make up what is not good.

We requested for buggy service with Joseph, and he told us buggy is ready and we could go down and take it to the canal. We went downstairs straightaway, the buggy didn't show up. We spoke to the Door guy Valentine and asked about the status of the buggy and he didn't have a clue, he told us he will arrange another buggy but we still have to wait for more than 10 minutes for it. There are not enough buggies in the hotel area as it is even harder to catch a buggy in another area of Jumeriah resort. One thing which delighted us was the buggy guy Mr HASAN, he is from Bangladesh and he was very helpful and kind to take us around the resort area.

Overall this hotel is good, the room is comfy. There is stint in the coffee making bottle, and quite a lot dust on the cupboard.

This hotel could be much better if it is more efficient, and if in-room service staff were more well trained. It's not only about the room size or the decor in the room a traveller looks for, a good hotel should be somewhere which makes us feel like going home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Peach_belini
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I travelled to Dubai of July 2012 with my Partner. We had originally booked to stop in the one and only the palm but after a issue with our booking we decided to move to the Burj. Our travel advisor called the Burj direct and arranged for us to check into the hotel. With just 3 hours notice they had a room available for us and even arranged for a car to collect us from the one and only.

We stayed in the club suite which was absolutely fantastic, i would even say it was too big for the both of us however the space wasn't wasted nor overwhelming for us. We had our own snooker table which my partner ensured he took advantage off, as well as our own private bar, dining area, and two seating areas. Upon our arrival we was greeted and taken straight to our room where was introduced to our floor butler. We was spoilt with a cocktail of our choice and fresh fruit which was a nice touch after travelling for hours. Our room had panoramic views of the Jumeirah hotel, the beach, and the surrounding gulf. Which was great, as one evening we was politely informed by our butler as well as a letter to our room informing us the sheikh was having a private party on the beach and there would be fireworks. We felt even more special to have a perfect view of a spectacular firework display! We was not disturbed by this at all. The room was sparkling clean and cleaned daily. We had a pillow menu, and my partner made a request for a hard pillow and this was quickly done. Every afternoon we got back to our room we was surprised by little nibbles and snacks. The decor of the rooms and the hotel is very grand but you get what you pay for if not beyond. We was supplied daily with hermes toiletries which goes to show what luxury you are staying in.

The staff around the hotel were more than helpful. Our butler kindly gave us a list of recommended restaurants that was very helpful. we decided to book a few and they kindly took care of these request. They arranged cars for us, and made bookings of any excursions we wished to do. Nothing could be faulted, we was spoilt for choice! I would recommend to swim with the dolphins at the atlantis! This is great for all ages, and me and my partner both enjoyed meeting "Dinita" the dolphin we swam with! Myself even took advantage of the hairdressing salon at the burj and it is to be one of the best blow drys i had. I would also go and have cocktails in one of the highest bar in the world in the burj khalifa there is a great ambience and spectacular views.

As the burj is part of the jumeirah group, we was able to take advantage of the madinat jumeirah which boasted even more hotels, bars, and shops. This was great on evenings when we didn't want to venture to far. Theres buggies always available, and we found when we mentioned we was going to the Burj service was even quicker, we didn't have to wait long for a buggy.

Our last 4 days of our stay Ramadan started. This did not affect anything at all, everything was still the same. We still could eat, drink, and go about our fantastic holiday as we wanted. However we did take into consideration it was Ramadan and out of respect i did take a shawl out with me on a evening to cover up more. However this wasn't asked of me, and other women around the hotel still wore what they wished. if you are to travel to the Burj or dubai around Ramadan i would not let it bother your holiday at all, it didn't to ours. The only obvious change was we had booked afternoon tea, and rather it be on the 1st floor it was moved to the ball room. This wasn't a issue for us, if anything we got to enjoy the great views of dubai as was so high up. The Burj is truly a remarkable building and design. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday here, i have nothing to fault. it is definitely a once in a lifetime experience staying at the Burj, the service was truly spectacular. We have previously stayed at the Atlantis, One and Only the Palm, Westin and La Meridian and the Burj has to be our best hotel in dubai to date.

Room Tip: The Club suite is fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hallstar4
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel as a stop off on way home to uk for 2 nights in a Panoramic suite on the 12th floor. We had previously stayed at the Raffles hotel which we found was excellent and so we expected great things from the Burj and on the whole we were not disapointed.

The Good:

-The building itself certainly has the wow factor and it is a marvel.
- You are made to feel very special in this place and the service cannot be faulted, staff members rush to open doors for you and the butler is very helpful.
- The Panoramic suites are huge and peaceful and have more amenities than you will ever need. The decor is an acquired taste to be honest but fits in with the OTT nature of hotel and so is abit of fun
- The Hermes bath products and gillete razors and gel and the night time gifts are excellent touches and help to justify the price

Areas to improve:

- The drinks/snacks in minibar are all chargable which is slightly dissapointing at this price point
- We had the breakfast buffet at Al Iwan and the choices were quite limited with not enough freshly cooked dishes for a 5* hotel.
- There are many visitors who are non resident to the hotel which is obviously going to happen in a hotel of this calibre. However it means that the entrance is very busy and made it very tiresome to get taxis - and the process took alot longer than it needed to.
- The Al Mahara restaurant was disapointing - the setting an ambience great but the food was disappointing. At this price point you expect to be blown away but the food was lacking. We would recomment going outside the hotel for restaurants such as Reflets and Indigo which were far better IMO and less expensive too! The Ossiano restaurant in Atlantis has a more impressive aquarium if that attracts.

We felt the burj is an amazing place - yes it is over the top and sometimes it isnt very tasteful however we throughly enjoyed our stay. Would we come back? probably not we just went to see what was like but at this price point there are many hotels which offer service just as good like the Raffles where we stayed last time. That said, the place is amazing and does make you feel very special indeed and is well worth the trip at least once!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gl0betr0tter1983
Reviewed January 18, 2013

No matter what we expected from the only seven star hotel in the world, our visit was
far greater than what we expected. Rooms are just a amazing, but the best part of
the hotel is the fantastic service. I don't know how they seem to know what you want
or need before you want it, but within just a minute or less after you ask for something,
an expert arrives and helps you. To do this without it seeming like they are hanging
on your elbow is perplexing.Totally private, but instant service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bill K
Heinrich_Morio, General Manager at Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Greetings from Burj Al Arab.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Burj Al Arab. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us highlighting our suites and the service provided by our colleagues.