“The service is seven star.”

Burj Al Arab Jumeirah
Ranked #25 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
“The service is seven star.”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Being an iconic symbol of modern Dubai we decided to stay here for our first visit to the country and see whether the hotel could live up to the seven star hype!

We decided to transfer in one of the hotel's Rolls Royce Phantoms. Much to the disappointment of the people outside the hotel, we were not famous. But it was certainly the most memorable taxi ride I've taken and a nice way to begin the stay.

Several staff greeted us as we entered the hotel. Bags were quickly taken away and dates, coffee and hot towels were offered. It was notable even at this early point that service was not at-all stuffy and, for a large hotel, had an unexpected personal touch.

We were taken on a leisurely tour en route to our room, and if the exterior of the hotel is beautiful, then the interior is best described as striking. It adds to the over the top experience however, with fish tanks either side of the lobby, a waterfall in the centre and a dizzyingly colourful ceiling far, far above. This was all topped off with pink Christmas trees when we stayed!

We were checked in inside the room (a nice touch) and offered further refreshments as if the journey in the lift might somehow have worn us out. The room was something else. We'd booked the cheapest, yet it was still on two floors with a grand staircase, a living room larger than my flat, a bathroom filled with ridiculously expensive products, free movies on the TV, and one whole wall was glass, giving us spectacular views of the city.

Exploring the hotel I was surprised at how small the grounds actually were. The hotel is on a tiny made-made island, so the pool and gardens have little space around the building to occupy. However, Jumeriah also own both hotels either side of the Burj, so the whole beach front is private and free to explore. Plus the Burj has it's own private beach for guests of that hotel only. Also, if the hotel's pool is too small for you, (or the sea too hot!) access to the Wild Wadi waterpark is part of the room rate and is at the bottom of the drive (journey via golf buggy). So for pool access that's what we used!

We decided to try the culinary flight for dinner. The idea is that you have a single course from each of the restaurants. It begins with pre-dinner drinks at Sky View Bar. The view over the city is spectacular, which is nice as it distracts from the odd interior decoration of the bar. First course is at Al Muntaha. The food here was good, but not memorable, but at least you still have the view. Second course is in Al Iwan. This restaurant is lovely. Nice decor, and the traditional food much more memorable. Third course is at Junsui, a Japanese restaurant. Food was good, but not that memorable and I'd rather have had another course at Al Iwan. But then, that is the point of the culinary flight - to try a bit of everything and see what you like. Next was Al Mahara which you arrive at via a submarine simulation - and for a moment you'll forget you're at dinner and think you're on a theme park ride. Yes, it is the single most surreal restaurant experience ever. The food here was good and dining in the middle of an aquarium was an experience. Finally dessert is taken in Sahn Eddar Lounge. This is an open lounge based above the lobby. The setting is relaxing and the food amazing! Overall, it's a great way to try out everything the hotel has to offer and a fun experience, the service too was friendly and professional. I just wouldn't consider it fine dining in terms of all of the food.

Over the couple of days that we were at the Burj we were made to feel more welcome than at any other hotel we've been to before. They seem to make a big hotel feel very personal and as if nothing is too much trouble.

So does it merit seven stars? I've been to better restaurants and I've been to hotels with a better sense of decor, but I've never been to a hotel where you're made to feel quite as special. So yes, it really does feel like a seven star experience and one we plan to do again.

• Stayed December 2010
9 Thank phileasdom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Just fabulous ! I have been to this hotel few times and it is the best ever ! Every is fantastic about it, the staff, the room, the service ! The decor is decadent and might seems a bit tacky to some but we are in Dubai !!!!! Of course the price is pretty high but compare to other hotel of the same standing you have an impeccable service, your own butler and every one is ever so nice. I just love this place !!

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect:)
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie M
Sydney, Austrlia
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was fortunate to enjoy only two nights at this wonderful hotel from 11-13 August 2011. My delight started with an airport transfer to the hotel in one of the hotels white Rolls Royces. The package which I booked was called the Summer Dreams package which already included a BMW transfer, but I opted to pay for the Rolls transfer which was a great experience. From the porter meeting us as we finished with customs and showing us to the Rolls where the driver was waiting with cold towels and water. We were even given a menu to select our tastes in music for the ride to the Burj!
Upon arrival a team of staff were waiting to greet me and immediately took me up to my suite to commence check-in. I must note that I arrived at around 7am and was allowed to check-in very quickly which I was most grateful. Entering the hotel I was amazed at the waterfall, and the architecture, dancing waterfall and the sea of beautiful fish as I went up the escalator of the main lobby.
My room was a Panoramic Suite located on the 13th floor which had fantastic view looking over the Jumeriah Beach hotel, the entrance bridge to the Burj and of course the sea. Everything in the room was working in perfect order and the orientation by the butler as to the operation of the controls was really easy to understand. It does last for what seems 20-30 minutes, but I thought it was fun even after a long flight! I knew they were going to do it, so I expected it. He gave us the option of doing a quick explanation or allowing us to get some rest and then coming back later to explain the operations and gadgets of the room. Your wish is there command! The room and service was what I'd expected and the space was wonderful. This hotel opened in December 1999 and let me tell you you'll see no sign of a chip on any furniture, wear and tear on any of the carpets or the such. After the Burj, I stayed at the One & Only on the Palm which has been opened less than a year I believe and I could see evidence in some of the furnishings of wear and tear. All of this to say that these workers are proud of this hotel and it shows. Our evening butler was the best! His attention to detail and professionalism went beyond anything I'd every experienced at any hotel anywhere! In fact all of the staff were perfect during my stay. Nothing is too much for them. You don't even have to ask...they are that good!
You have a host of items available to you in the comfort of your suite such as FREE on demand movies (numerous selections), a free laptop (with free internet) which printer and fax machine all set up and ready to use on your desk, two mini bars with unlimited amounts of high end water, juices, sodas replenished daily for your consumption (FREE), full size his and hers Hermes cologne, perfume, body washes, etc, buggy service to other Jumeriah properties and Wild Wadi park which you have free entry for the duration of your stay.
My only dislike would be the food. I was expecting a bit more from the hotel in this category. We had the buffet breakfast included in our package which was at the restaurant which overlooks the pool. The food was tasty, but nothing special in my opinion with no grand presentation or enough choices. Just my thoughts. Also we had a free buffet dinner in the same place which was again ordinary. We tried the restaurant Al Mahara which is accessed via a simulated submarine voyage. This dining experience again didn't satisfy us in the least and it costs over $400.00 for two of us with one mixed drink apiece. Maybe the chef was having a bad day, but we wouldn't spend this sort of money there again. We enjoyed a nice lunch buffet at other Jumeriah properties during our stay for a quarter of the price and was very enjoyable. I expressed my concerns to my butler regarding the restaurant experience and he immediately deleted the price of our dinner meal to just reflect our drinks. We didn't expect this at all, but considering the costs and the fact that we didn't enjoy our meal, we graciously accepted the offer. They were there to make our experience the best possible. So while the food failed us, every other aspect of the stay was above the mark! Plus there attention to your expressions of concerns are taking seriously and you're never put into a situation where you feel you have to argue your point or feel that no one cares.
Lastly, for those of you that feel 1,500-2,000 a night for a room is too much then I challenge you to look for a hotel suite in any major city in the world and compare the meters or sq feet of the room along with all the amenities which the Burj offer and you'll see that the Burj is actually a bargain. You'll never get this type of individual service and attention which is effortlessly given to you when you occupy a suite at this hotel. We'll be back soon!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CandJtravles
New Hampshire
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed at the Burj Al Arab in August 2011. As you would expect, everything is over the top here, and that is part of the experience. I would definitely want to stay here again, but there are so many other top-notch 5-star hotels in Dubai at 1/10 the price that I would probably stay elsewhere next time. Here are some factual observations:

1. We booked through Amex Platinum and were upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but the suites are actually too big. It’s easy to lose track of where you stuff is throughout the suite! Everything is over-the-top gold and fancy. The suite was two floors, and I could play my iPod in every room in the suite (including the closets and bathrooms!!).

2. This is the only hotel I have ever seen that provides a laptop for you in the room.

3. The butler service is very nice, and everything was done very quickly. Also, most of the staff would acknowledge us by name as we walked around.

4. We took a buggy over to the private Burj Al Arab beach. It was very nice, and the view of the Burj is incredible from there.

5. We had a couples massage. It was very good, and the spa is beautiful.

6. The indoor infinity pools that are part of the spa on the 18th floor are really, really neat. Definitely check them out.

7. All of the staff was excellent. There was one guy that sat at the 11th floor reception during the day on August 10 that was less-than personable, and was mis-informed about some things, but other than him, everyone very, very nice, and genuinely seemed to care about their jobs.

8. We ate at all of the restaurants while we were there. Everything was very good. Though, if you are going to order a bottle of wine watch out! Because of the incredible taxes, an average bottle of wine was about US$300-400!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tacostuff
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I have travelled all over the world and the Burj Al Arab is without doubt the best hotel i have ever stayed at. Sure it's expensive but for what you receive it is absolutely worth it.
I have visited this hotel 4 times now and every time i have never wanted to leave.
The decor is completely ostentatious but i think that's part of the appeal as you will never ever see that anywhere else.
The rooms are all huge and the carpet is so thick and comfortable.
The rooms are completely spotless and they even give you fresh flowers every day and a small gift on your bed every night.
The Beach is simply amazing. Clean white sand, crystal clear water just the perfect temperature and a waiter always on hand to get you a cold towel and drink.

Because the hotel is on it's own private island the pool area is quite small however this doesn't matter as the benefit of staying at a jumeirah group hotel means you can use the large pools at the jumeirah beach hotel and the madinat which are both only a buggy ride away.

If you have a special occasion and are thinking of blowing the bank i'd say blow it at the Burj. Perfection.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We booked to stay here for the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary using their honeymoon package.

Included were BMW transfers, cocktails on arrival, a bottle of red wine, a bottle of champagne, dinner at Al Muntaha, couples spa treatment, a jacuzzi aromatherapy bath and breakfast.

From the moment we arrived the service was impeccable, the staff lovely and the suite beautiful.

I can't fault anything, this is the most opulent and over-indulgent place I have ever stayed and I would go back in a heartbeat (bank balance allowing!).

Room Tip: Even the basic suite is AMAZING!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
South West England, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,126 helpful votes
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at the Burj Al Arab hotel and I have reviewed it under Dubai Hotels. If you are not staying and wish to visit, it is well worth the effort and far more interesting than it's taller friend the Burj Khalifa.
The hotel is on a man made island a couple of hundred metres offshore, and you need to have made a reservation in advance even to get into the building( so many people want to visit so they need to control the flow of people). We went to the Skyline Bar at the top of the building which seems to defy gravity by sticking out of the side of the building. The views are not that special but the food and drink is. It's not cheap but well worth the experience.

1 Thank AvidTraveler12